• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

I rarely, if ever, use exclamation marks. However, playing your own music in a separate music players takes no heed of what's happening in the game. GW2 allows you to play custom music in context, which is a distinction from your method.

Oh god, it's like a broken record.

Too bad you can't just replace the broken record with your own tailored music.

All jokes aside, you're right in that it's possible to not like the music. I love it, but you don't. We're different people, and not everyone will enjoy the music.

However, instead of recognizing this, you attacked the alternative as if the music direction could ever please all people. You don't like the music, therefore you can implant your own that plays within context of the game. Sounds like a decent proposition.

So, yes, you can find the music lacking and not feel like searching for music you enjoy. But you come off as disingenuous when you complain (on subjective terms) about the music and then the measures in place to make the experience more tolerable on your part. If you have any technical issues with the sound design/music direction, those are welcome.

One thing I wish they would tone down is respawn time in certain caves. Trying to do a skill point in a cave at an off hour is nearly impossible, at least on my elementalist. My Ranger handled them no problem.

Azih

I rarely, if ever, use exclamation marks. However, playing your own music in a separate music players takes no heed of what's happening in the game. GW2 allows you to play custom music in context, which is a distinction from your method.
Oh it's like the Xbox 1 custom soundtracks and not the 360's blaring stereo to the side approach? I like the first much better. Drop in FF battle music to replace the default combat tune kind of thing?

ok started out anew in the Metrica province area, really enjoying myself here as an elementalist now!

Are there some tips on how to get some decent early equipment? I am still running around in my starter gear and the vendors really don't have much for sale hmm...

ok started out anew in the Metrica province area, really enjoying myself here as an elementalist now!

Are there some tips on how to get some decent early equipment? I am still running around in my starter gear and the vendors really don't have much for sale hmm...

Gear isn't all that important especially early on. Heart karma vendors usually will get you the more interesting looking items.

Sethos

Banned

Too bad you can't just replace the broken record with your own tailored music.

All jokes aside, you're right in that it's possible to not like the music. I love it, but you don't. We're different people, and not everyone will enjoy the music.

However, instead of recognizing this, you attacked the alternative as if the music direction could ever please all people. You don't like the music, therefore you can implant your own that plays within context of the game. Sounds like a decent proposition.

So, yes, you can find the music lacking and not feel like searching for music you enjoy. But you come off as disingenuous when you complain (on subjective terms) about the music and then the measures in place to make the experience more tolerable on your part. If you have any technical issues with the sound design/music direction, those are welcome.

I think you're just missing the point completely. This isn't about "OH GOD I CAN'T CHANGE THE MUSIC", it never was. This is about Anet's poor music, in my opinion. A perfectly valid stance aimed at their people responsible for the implementation. However that was quickly changed into "Oh but you can change it" yes but that wasn't the point - The point was the original design and its poor implementation ...

It's like me saying "Oh Dark Souls is one of the top 5 worst PC ports", "Yes but with the Durante fix" yes but it's still one of the top 5 worst ports "No but with ... " :| The ORIGINAL port is shoddy as hell. FROM SOFTWARE didn't make a good port because of Durante. Anet didn't implement decent music design because I can change it myself.

I'm criticising Anet for poor implementation, that's it. If I wanted to listen to my own music I'll just turn down the in-game music and start my media player. It's not rocket science.

Gear isn't all that important especially early on. Heart karma vendors usually will get you the more interesting looking items.

thanks, i noticed some marginally better gear at those indeed...

what about crafting early on? I bought some shovels etc and harvested one or 2 things but haven't seen any crafting trainers yet, i assume those will show up once i get to the capital city? Also: do i need to KEEP every piece of scrap i get from loot for crafting later on or should i just sell it regardless? I noticed one option "send to deposit" or whatever, what does that do?

Ploid 3.0

Is the Trading Post ever going to get out of maintenance. I've been using random gear for so long because I can't gear up on the trading post. Also I can't sell the stuff I farmed so I'm out of space a lot.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I love how people ITT are ignoring the fact that this point regarding the music you made is completely fair and jumping into the ad hominem wagon.

Never change, MMO OT crew.

I just wanted to put my 2 cents in here:

(1) I think the music is awesome, first off. Never really heard anyone complain about the music. This is Jeremy Soule, after all.

(2) At least ArenaNet gives you the option to change up the music. If you think it would detract from the experience then don't do it. It's not like ANet chose a crappy composer to make the music - this is, again, Jeremy Soule! It would be different if ANet tried to save costs by choosing some no-name composer and then give you the option to change the music but they didn't. I have personally been pumped up by the music multiple times.

(3) It takes two to tango. Everyone arguing against Sethos have been responding the way Sethos has been presenting himself. If you have criticisms about the game, then present them in a non-abrasive manner and you won't get abrasive responses.

eh gotta agree here about the music, granted it might get on your nerves after hours and hours of playing (which i didn't do yet) but SO far, the first thing i noticed was the sweeping, epic music in this game, so good!

Trey

I think you're just missing the point completely. This isn't about "OH GOD I CAN'T CHANGE THE MUSIC", it never was. This is about Anet's poor music, in my opinion. A perfectly valid stance aimed at their people responsible for the implementation. However that was quickly changed into "Oh but you can change it" yes but that wasn't the point - The point was the original design and its poor implementation ...

It's like me saying "Oh Dark Souls is one of the top 5 worst PC ports", "Yes but with the Durante fix" yes but it's still one of the top 5 worst ports "No but with ... " :| The ORIGINAL port is shoddy as hell. FROM SOFTWARE didn't make a good port because of Durante. Anet didn't implement decent music design because I can change it myself.

I'm criticising Anet for poor implementation, that's it. If I wanted to listen to my own music I'll just turn down the in-game music and start my media player. It's not rocket science.

Your analogy doesn't work because DS was a shoddy port from a technical standpoint, while your issue with GW2's music is inherently subjective.

If you would go into detail how the music was a poor implementation, then perhaps I could see you point more clearly. Otherwise, I've frequently said the stance of merely disliking the music is a legitimate one that you are free to express. That being said, Anet's safety net in case you don't like the music is a legitimate workaround the inherent fact not everyone will like the musical suite.

Deitus

what about crafting early on? I bought some shovels etc and harvested one or 2 things but haven't seen any crafting trainers yet, i assume those will show up once i get to the capital city? Also: do i need to KEEP every piece of scrap i get from loot for crafting later on or should i just sell it regardless? I noticed one option "send to deposit" or whatever, what does that do?

You should get all three gathering tools right away, and gather from every node you come across. At the very least, you get decent experience for doing this, as well as progress towards daily achievements. But more than that, this will eliminate the need to do grindy farming for materials or buy them at the trading post (at least the ones that can be gathered). You should also purchase a salvage kit, and keep one of these on you at all time. You can use these to break down equipment you need for materials, which not only frees up inventory space and gives you crafting mats, but its one of the very few ways to obtain leather and cloth. And of course you can always sell what materials you don't use for your crafts.

Crafting stations can be found in any of the major cities (you can go to any of them right after the tutorial mission), though there are also a few found in outposts in leveling zones. To start a craft, you merely have to ask the NPC next to the crafting station, but crafting can only be done at the station.

Deposit Collectibles is an amazing function that allows you to send most of your crafting materials straight to your bank (edit: from anywhere in the world) in a separate tab that doesn't take up your normal bank spaces (some materials cannot be stored in this tab though). Between this and salvage kits, you can go a long while without needing to find a vendor to clear out inventory space. And because they don't actually take up bank space, there's not really any reason not to hold onto all of your crafting materials, unless they sell for enough that it is worth it to sell them on the trading post (or you are just sure you will never use that material).

A question about the dragons:
Aren't there supposed to be several of them? One for each region? I only fought one dragon in story mode before getting to the final mission where you slay Zhaiton. So unless the final mission is an epic dragon fest, where the hell are all the others? I've cleared every high level zone except for the 70-80 Norn one and never run into any there either. Are they in dungeons? I've only don AC as far as those go.

etiolate

Banned
If you suffer a fool then what you get is a shat up thread.

Squall:

I've faced Tequatl and the Shatterer. The first is in Sparkfly Fen, the latterer (lol) is in Blazeridge (I think it is?), the 50-60 Ascalonian zone. I hear Jormag is up north somewheres I haven't been yet.

Trey

Aren't there supposed to be several of them? One for each region? I only fought one dragon in story mode before getting to the final mission where you slay Zhaiton. So unless the final mission is an epic dragon fest, where the hell are all the others? I've cleared every high level zone except for the 70-80 Norn one and never run into any there either. Are they in dungeons? I've only don AC as far as those go.

They are in different zones and are events. Blazeridge Steppes, Frostgorge Sound, and I forget the third.

Llyranor

I agree that the music is pretty average/forgettable. Pretty standard Jeremy Soule fare that would have fit in any of his other RPG soundtracks (aside from the few GW1 themes).

Sethos

Banned
Your analogy doesn't work because DS was a shoddy port from a technical standpoint, while your issue with GW2's music is inherently subjective.

It works fine, because the point was how you are arguing this, not what it's about.

Very simple. You keep saying it's a subjective matter, it is. You so desperately want me to explain my opinion in depths, I already gave you the jist of it. Read that a few times and move on.

Trey

I've faced Tequatl and the Shatterer. The first is in Sparkfly Fen, the latterer (lol) is in Blazeridge (I think it is?), the 50-60 Ascalonian zone. I hear Jormag is up north somewheres I haven't been yet.

How many GW2 fans does it take to completely answer a niche question?

bogg

What kills it for me is the lag I get in big WvW fights. I think I'll take a break from the game for now.

Shambles

Lol bad music? Now people are just inventing things to bitch about. It has great music. Now whether it's not to your taste is up to you. But that's something that the rest of the internet doesn't give a shit about.

Sethos

Banned
Lol bad music? Now people are just inventing things to bitch about. It has great music. Now whether it's not to your taste is up to you. But that's something that the rest of the internet doesn't give a shit about.

Opinions, how do they work.

Ha, the only decent lvl zones I haven't got around to doing yet, figures. So they are events then. That's 5, for some reason I was thinking there was 7 but maybe not. The personal story would be far more epic if you had to go through all of them, doesn't really feel like a dragon plight. You could for the most part pretend Zhaiton was a human and it wouldn't change much. Oh well, still really enjoyed the story missions and was pleasantly surprised by how much. All the more crucial for a guy like me that lives in PVE.

jersoc

What build? I'm still messing with my guardian and trying different things out haha

what do you want to do? the build i use works great for pve and fairly well for wvw. I dont run spvp, but I got the build from someone who does. It's based around 1h/shield scepter/focus. except in pve i run 1h/focus and GS and wvw 1h/scepter/focus.

Get some precision/crit dmg+ and things will melt. I don't have much crit dmg yet, but I'll making an exotic set this weekend(or whenever i stop playing bl2).

The build doesn't rely too much on condition dmg, which I don't really like much anymore anyways. I centers around blind and bursting a target. I might have to change it up a bit once I get my tough/vit/power for wvw, but I doubt it. I'll just compliment crit dmg with amulet/rings I think and try to rune for precision. Also, you have crazy healing.

the build is 10/30/30 the first 3. I don't remember the great traits exactly. I know there's increase dmg with sword and crit chance with sword. meditions heal and shorter cooldown.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I agree that the music is pretty average/forgettable. Pretty standard Jeremy Soule fare that would have fit in any of his other RPG soundtracks (aside from the few GW1 themes).
None of the new stuff is interesting. At all. He really phoned it in, and I'm glad ArenaNet included GW1's tracks to fill in the massive gap in quality.

Xiaoki

Not in the game yet.

kidko

So I've been working on looking like an Order of Whispers servant, and I'm pretty much complete sans the shoulders (but those look goofy anyways).

So many buckles Nomura would be proud.

Wow that armor looks SO good! Big shoulders would ruin it

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
That's actually what the Shatterer does.

And for the ice dragon, the first half of the event consists of blowing off his wings with cannons.

Arcteryx

TP why can't you be up?!!?!

Finally done with my war; now I want to work on my necro alt.

gw003e4uy1.png

Rokam

If I were a dragon and a bunch of people on the ground were beating my ass ... I'd probably just fly away.

Stupid dragons.

It's like in all the games where the boss has some super hard final phase... dude just activate that shit at the beginning and wreck us.

Fishious

Ha, the only decent lvl zones I haven't got around to doing yet, figures. So they are events then. That's 5, for some reason I was thinking there was 7 but maybe not. The personal story would be far more epic if you had to go through all of them, doesn't really feel like a dragon plight. You could for the most part pretend Zhaiton was a human and it wouldn't change much. Oh well, still really enjoyed the story missions and was pleasantly surprised by how much. All the more crucial for a guy like me that lives in PVE.

It's probably important to make a distinction between the different types of dragons in GW2. There are the elder dragons Zhaitan, Kralkatorrik, Jormag, Primordus, and some other unnamed dude who threw the world into chaos. At this point only Zhaitan and his minions are really important to the plot or even really present at all. There are also lesser dragons who are champions for the elder dragons. Tequatl, the Shatterer, and the Claw of Jormag are currently fightable.

Ken

Hey folks,
I figured it was already posted on this thread, but in the case that it is not posted and/or lost in the threadnaught, I am going to reiterate something that seemed to surprise people in another thread.
The “diminished returns anti-speed clear tech” that went in last patch is NOT functioning as intended. It is currently bugged. We’re working on it, and will have a solution as soon as possible.

And TP still down.

I've mostly used the trading post for gear all the way through level 70. I'll just hit it up every ten levels or so and pick up some super cheap crafted gear.

But I'm just focusing on the cheap and easy route while I'm leveling -- if you're more concerned about appearance or specific stats, you'll probably want to check out the karma vendors or craft your own.

Complistic

Does the final boss in an explorable mode dungeon always give you 15 tokens, or was that a one time thing?

I ran TA exp once and ended up with 30 tokens, ran it again but only got 20.

Torraz

Does the final boss in an explorable mode dungeon always give you 15 tokens, or was that a one time thing?

I ran TA exp once and ended up with 30 tokens, ran it again but only got 20.

The first time you run a path, each day, you get 10 bonus tokens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom