• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

nataku

https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/262654722975076352

I repeat - We experience connectivity issues in our datacenters, we are working hard to resolve it. ^MK

https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/262655255546822656

It is not a server but a connectivity issue, so forums are affected as well. ^MK

Hopefully it gets resolved soon.

Has anyone else entered "level 2" of the dungeon? I didn't pay attention to the first time I entered it what the button said, but every time after that it said something along the lines of "... explorable mode (level 2)" which made me think it would be different than the first time, multiple paths or something. But it was the same one all three times I did it.

Taffer

I didn't pay attention to the first time I entered it what the button said, but every time after that it said something along the lines of "... explorable mode (level 2)" which made me think it would be different than the first time, multiple paths or something. But it was the same one all three times I did it.

I believe that's the recommended character level for the mini-dungeon rather than a path.

Dries

Never played a MMORPG before, but I love exploration in games like Skyrim and The Witcher 2 and I've been gushing over the screenshots in the Hi-res screenshot thread for over a month. So I'm finally gonna delve into the world of GW2.

Any tips for a beginner? Race, class and gameplay tips are welcome :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
wait i didn't check my level because i just left when i noticed the enemies in that mad king event were all 80 and i was 43... so are you saying i got leveled up to 80 temporarily as well there then? If so then fuuuuuuuuuu :(
No more exotics yet, but it's still profitable every time. Wonder how long this will go on.

etiolate

Banned
I got four exotics in an hour of Labyrinth before they nerfed the drops. Nothing from Mad King yet except the transmutation stones. I did just make some money from the personalized trick or treat bags.

Anyone know what the cap is on magic find %?

"Anyone know what the cap is on magic find %?"

I don't believe there is any, but there's no stat to show how much you have (or at least how much it factors).

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
so the achievement attend the party is that act 4 related or on last day ?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Most I got were greens lol

So I take it that he can only fought within 1 hour but announcements will be made whenever he "returns"?

Also shouldn't Act III be out?

"So I take it that he can only fought within 1 hour but announcements will be made whenever he "returns"?"

No? You can run the instance as much as you want with no limits, just diminishing returns.

nataku

So I take it that he can only fought within 1 hour but announcements will be made whenever he "returns"?

The new dungeon is Act 3, as far as I can tell. You can run it as much as you want. I haven't noticed anything new besides that for Act 3.

The dungeon is Act 3. You can run it as many times as you like. The first time you get around 25 silver, a bunch of bags, a 10 slot bag, and a chest spawns at the end which can contain level 70-80 exotics as well as pieces of the Mad Kings set.

After your first run you wont get the bag, karma, or silver, and will get diminishing returns on the trick or treat bags, however, you can keep looting the chest and there seems to be no DR on that.

4 exotics so far. Make sure to do the labyrinth on all your characters each day at reset. I have been getting lucky with them, not to mention all the trash loot you can sell adds up.

Morokh

I was on an overflow server when the cinematic played, i saw the lion blow up, and no mad king appeared, the camera just went back and forth, and then in the hole like it would normally .....

etiolate

Banned
I was on an overflow server when the cinematic played, i saw the lion blow up, and no mad king appeared, the camera just went back and forth, and then in the hole like it would normally .....

Yeah, I think this happened to some people. Might have been triggered by the damned culling.

Dries

Never played a MMORPG before, but I love exploration in games like Skyrim and The Witcher 2 and I've been gushing over the screenshots in the Hi-res screenshot thread for over a month. So I'm finally gonna delve into the world of GW2.

Any tips for a beginner? Race, class and gameplay tips are welcome :)

Quoted for the new page

Quoted for the new page
Race doesn't affect gameplay much. Class means everything as far as that's concerned.

Stay mobile, use the dodge button judiciously, watch for red circles and wind-up skills on mobs, and don't rush for level 80.
Also, after about level 30, buying masterwork weapons on the auction house is a cheap and easy way to get yourself geared up for your level.

etiolate

Banned
Quoted for the new page

Race: This is a matter of personal choice. It does dictate your personal story early on, so I would consider race for what type of story quests you want. I personally found the Human story to be lacking, but the Asura story to be fun, and the Charr story somewhat interesting.

Class: Up to your playstyle. You may find yourself starting out with one class you want to play, but try out another class on an alt and discover you like that more.

Play tips: Movement is important. Dodge certain things, but don't just carelessly use dodge due to the endurance bar. You'll learn what mobs need what sort of behaviors. You can tank a Moa Bird,but don't let an Ettin hit you. Weapon switch, along with kit and atunement swapping are quite important once you unlock them.

Beginner tips: Once beyond the tutorial, your early purchases should be the starter gathering tools from a basic Merchant. Also, once you've learned all the skills from a weapon, I suggest equipping a new weapon and leveling those skills out. Exploration will generally reward you in different ways. If for some reason you feel underleveled, remember that gathering, crafting, points of interest, and story quests all reward XP.

Also, the skills on a weapon generally work together in some way. You will also start to learn combo fields and finishers as you get further into the combat.

Bind your heal skill to an easy to reach key.

KuroNeeko

Quoted for the new page

Hey!

If this is your first MMO, then you're in for a real treat. Things will seem overwhelming in the beginning but Guild Wars 2 isn't that complicated and there are a lot of people willing to help so just jump right in.

A few hints -

1) Don't worry about what the "best / worst" classes are. Pick a race based on what you think looks good. I personally always make female characters and they always have to be aesthetically pleasing. I guess that's my Persian Flaw. Also, click on each class and read the description. Then just jump in a pick one that looks fun to play. You can always change later and every class is capable of doing everything in this game so don't sweat it.

2) Just remember, outside of deleting your character almost nothing you can do in this game will permanently screw you over. I guess if you had 0 money and NO weapons you'd be hurting, but even then you could still recover. If you get lost, look at the green arrows on your map. As you wander around, some NPCs will call you over. Talk to them and they'll usually give you quests you can do. Look for a spyglass like icon on the map - these guys will usually introduce you to the area and give you an idea of what kind of things there are for you to do.

3) Occasionally you'll see orange letters come up on your screen telling you that a New Event Has Started. These are usually group friendly occurrences that you can participate in for loots, money, and XP. You don't need to form a party or anything, just show up and help!

4) Explore! Enjoy the journey! Game play evolves as you gain levels, but for the most part - you'll be playing the same game at 80 that you're playing at level 2. Just your horizons will probably expand.

5) If you're looking for a guild feel free to mail on the GAFGuild members. Retro, Hawkian, Ashodin, and Ferny are usually hanging around on this forum trying to look cool and all, so make them feel important by sending them a line in game asking to get into the GAF guild. Pizza donations will help ease the process along. (Sorry I don't have their addresses on me.) Also, sign up to GAFGuild.com if you're up for it. It's up to you, no pressure. I'm in the guild and everyone is pretty nice so far.

6) There's no pressure to play this game in a way you don't want to. Explore, craft, do PvP, RP, jumping puzzles, whatever. Do what you want to do. There is NO wrong way to play.

7) You can adjust your hotkeys in the options menu. Depending on your setup, you may want to remap your keys. I use WASD for movement and then QERTC shift+1234. Your mileage may vary.

8) In the beginning, you'll only have one weapon and maybe an off-hand weapon. As you kill monsters, weapon skills will unlock. Your class will be limited in the type of weapons it can use. You'll need to unlock each weapon's skills by killing stuff. Once you've unlocked them, they'll stay that way forever.

9) You'll notice a skill bar on the right hand side of the screen. These are utility skills that you will unlock as you gain levels. Right now, you should only have one (blue icon) skill available. This is your healing skill. Don't worry about learning the other skills right now, the game will help you out when you unlock on in about 3-4 levels or so.

10) If you have questions, then ask them here!

Hope this helps!

Dries

Thanks for that write up KuroNeeko, really helpful. Now I just have to decide which character I'll be rolling first... A Sylvari Ranger or a Guardian Human? Decisions decisions....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom