• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks for that write up KuroNeeko, really helpful. Now I just have to decide which character I'll be rolling first... A Sylvari Ranger or a Guardian Human? Decisions decisions....
Rangers and guardians play really really differently, so it's up to you as to what you're looking to play. Sorry if that's not helpful at all, haha.

This is a pretty crazy time to start playing. There's all manner of madness going on right now and you could make quite a lot of money. Then next month another big content patch.

Dries

Rangers and guardians play really really differently, so it's up to you as to what you're looking to play. Sorry if that's not helpful at all, haha.

This is a pretty crazy time to start playing. There's all manner of madness going on right now and you could make quite a lot of money. Then next month another big content patch.

Yeah, I really feel like some archery action though, so I'm pretty sure I'll be going for Ranger. The Sylvari homeland look gorgeous too.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah, I really feel like some archery action though, so I'm pretty sure I'll be going for Ranger. The Sylvari homeland look gorgeous too.

If you aren't feeling it by about 20-25, give another class a shot. I always figure that's about the point you start to really feel the class and the skills it brings to the table.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Humans have a terrible Destiny's Edge representative and has a terrible story (circus past aside). Also their starting maps are terrible. I bet most of the negativity of "repetitive" quests stem from that.

CENTAUR CENTAUR CENTAUR CENTAUR CENTAUR CENTAUR

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ugh, I need to get all my WvW kills for my monthly still. I have a total of 4 so far. How long does it take to get all of them? I also need to still finish the last leg of the Mad Memories quest. I have so much GW2 to play between now and the 31st.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Ugh, I need to get all my WvW kills for my monthly still. I have a total of 4 so far. How long does it take to get all of them? I also need to still finish the last leg of the Mad Memories quest. I have so much GW2 to play between now and the 31st.

1) Go into Eternal Battlegrounds.

2) Pick a commander who has a big group of people to follow.

3) AoE.

4) Profit.

Sure, it's four steps, but it will get the job done. Followed a group for like 20 minutes yesterday, absolutely no action. Then a giant barrage of people came stomping our way, 5 mins later I got 50 tags kills.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
1) Go into Eternal Battlegrounds.

2) Pick a commander who has a big group of people to follow.

3) AoE.

4) Profit.

Sure, it's four steps, but it will get the job done. Followed a group for like 20 minutes yesterday, absolutely no action. Then a giant barrage of people came stomping our way, 5 mins later I got 50 tags kills.

Oh, smart. I don't do WvW much, so this will work. Thanks!

Assuming I get this done, I'll farm my final 25 events in the Mad King's Labyrinth (because doors = mad event rewards) and get my salvaging done via that, too. This event is amazing. <3

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
With no queue on SBI borderlands, I went from 15-36 in 20 minutes in the zerg last night. It is trivial, but I'm happy to do it with you if we're on together. The monthly rewards are AWESOME.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
But what if in WvW your server is the losing one?
Even if you are losing on the map, there will be at least one successful skirmish, the other servers can't be everywhere at once.

...Unless your server is just horrible and has been pushed back to spawn. Then I would say, switch WvW map.

Boss Doggie

I'll give it a try with my mage then.

I mean, as long as you dealt a hit you'd get a kill even if you didn't land the final blow right?

Deitus

I'll give it a try with my mage then.

I mean, as long as you dealt a hit you'd get a kill even if you didn't land the final blow right?

It will often take more than a single hit to get a tag. I'm not entirely sure what the threshold is, and it may depend on how many people are hitting the same target, but you need to do a certain amount of damage to an enemy to get credited for a kill, same as in PVE.

But you most definitely do not need to score the killing blow. I've had many a time in WvW where I fired off a barrage of AOE, and then had to pull back to heal. While I was standing around away from the battlefield for 15 seconds waiting for my heal spell to cool down, a loot bag or two would suddenly appear at my feet, indicating I'd scored a "kill".

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Got like 11 kills in my lunch hour. Not bad, but I also didn't get tags on a few, so it is what it is. I'd LOVE to find a group to knock this out tonight if anyone is up for it. I also managed to go from 74 -> 86 events completed, so that will be easy as shit to get done for my monthly. So with WvW and Salvaging left, I should be good.

arimanius

Humans have a terrible Destiny's Edge representative and has a terrible story (circus past aside). Also their starting maps are terrible. I bet most of the negativity of "repetitive" quests stem from that.

CENTAUR CENTAUR CENTAUR CENTAUR CENTAUR CENTAUR

They have the best boobs tho.

Ephidel

Humans. Don't think I've seen a female Centaur in this game. Which just opens up a whole lot of questions.
There's definitely a some around. There's one acting as an "emissary" in Kessex Hills (possibly at Kessex Haven), and a whole slew with the same model somewhere around there (I think they were Sharpshooters?).

oktarb

Hopefully I’m missing something. Feel free to enlighten me.

I’m level 38 and at this point I've learned every skill I really want to and of course all my weapons (which isn't hard at all). I see 42 levels ahead of me but not much to entice me character-wise to continue.

I’ll keep playing to explore, bash mobs and maybe complete my story but I’m a little disheartened by the fact that I won’t get any new toys. New gears doesn't scratch the itch because really you’re just gearing up to handle more mobs. Traits aren't very interesting, useful but no flash. I know there’s other distractions (crafting, WvW, festivals ect) but at the core it seems like I have a lot of rinse and repeat.

I like to get new abilities as I level, a reward for those well earned levels.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

I’m level 38 and at this point I've learned every skill I really want to and of course all my weapons (which isn't hard at all). I see 42 levels ahead of me but not much to entice me character-wise to continue.

I’ll keep playing to explore, bash mobs and maybe complete my story but I’m a little disheartened by the fact that I won’t get any new toys. New gears doesn't scratch the itch because really you’re just gearing up to handle more mobs. Traits aren't very interesting, useful but no flash. I know there’s other distractions (crafting, WvW, festivals ect) but at the core it seems like I have a lot of rinse and repeat.

Well, what kind of "game" are you looking for? The PvE side of things is all about gearing up. Really, that's the core of it. You do your farming to get karma/mats to craft gear to run dungeons to get tokens to buy dungeon gear (which is some of the most aesthetic gear available).

PvP side of things has WvW, but it also has sPvP, which is all about your skill and teamwork. Think 5v5 from WoW. There isn't really any leveling up in that as much as there is ranking up to buy more flashy rewards (again).

It depends on if you're looking to PvE or PvP. And if you're looking to PvE, it really does come down to farming the hardest areas in the game and running the dungeons on explore mode.

Man, I completely agree with this. This game has a very tenuous hold on me for just these reasons.

I keep going in and out of really enjoying it--it's fun in the moment, but then I wonder when things are going to evolve because it isn't really all that exciting. Perhaps similar to why I dropped D3 once I got around max level. The core loop wasn't grabbing me and there wasn't anything super interesting to do.

Exploring is actually quite fun. I really like walking around the world and just doing quests as I come upon them, but sometimes I get snapped out of it and wonder WTF I'm doing. Similar to the experience of reading a book and all of a sudden you notice that you're reading the words individually instead of the story as a whole.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hopefully I&#8217;m missing something. Feel free to enlighten me.

I&#8217;m level 38 and at this point I've learned every skill I really want to and of course all my weapons (which isn't hard at all). I see 42 levels ahead of me but not much to entice me character-wise to continue.

I&#8217;ll keep playing to explore, bash mobs and maybe complete my story but I&#8217;m a little disheartened by the fact that I won&#8217;t get any new toys. New gears doesn't scratch the itch because really you&#8217;re just gearing up to handle more mobs. Traits aren't very interesting, useful but no flash. I know there&#8217;s other distractions (crafting, WvW, festivals ect) but at the core it seems like I have a lot of rinse and repeat.

First, what class are you? I think that has more of an impact on the metagame than I realized at first.

Next, here are some things you might find compelling:
1) Grandmaster traits (which you can't unlock til level 60) can be very cool and change things up. Again, this will depend on class, though, they vary a lot
2) Once you have access to your full trait points at 80, you can completely rethink your build and trait configuration and have a lot of fun trying new things
3) Something you might really enjoy is putting together a full rune set on your armor. In contrast to just "gearing up to handle more mobs"- IE the stat treadmill, which I do not enjoy at all personally- rune sets absolutely have the "new toy" feel to them. The 6-effect on most rune sets is very interesting. While a set might look like the basic, boring stat bonuses for 1-5, the 6 effect might be "summon a homicidal parrot on hit" or "turn into mist when you reach 10% life," or in the case of the Mad King set I put together during this event, "summon a bunch of birds to attack enemies when you use your elite skill." Since these effects are tied to the armor pieces itself, you could have multiple builds using multiple rune sets for dramatically different play. I have two other sets I know I want for sure, and getting the set you want that functions/looks the way you want it to is satisfying.
4) Speaking of which, I noticed you didn't mention the aesthetics grind in your post at all. Does getting cooler looking stuff not appeal to you? If that's the case, I have to imagine you could wind up finding the "stuff to do" quite lacking. The game clearly gives you a ton of aesthetic stuff to go for in a variety of ways- dungeon gear is all unique but the tokens are account bound; plenty of unique-looking weapons are available only on the mystic forge; Orr armor set looks different than anything else, and can only be bought with Karma. And of course there's legendary weapons for the long long long term. Getting the stats you need to play at the meta doesn't interest me that much (and luckily it's not that tough to do in this game!) but working toward getting cool-looking stuff keeps me interested. I really like coming across a weapon or armor set that would be horrible for my character but seems perfect to give to an alt one day.

edit: Full disclosure in response to SnakesWithLasers- I went from finding D3 fun but nonchallenging to mediocre and even less challenging to having my account hacked to outright disliking the game :( I haven't even beaten it on normal, and I really feel like I should. Was just supremely disappointed, can't imagine I'd enjoy the meta hook in that at all; this game has me completely hooked though.

Torraz

My favorite female models in the game are the shortest possible Norns, I don't know why.

Same.

Is there a function, or has there been one announced, to change character size?

I really like my smallest-possible norn alts, but my main is a near-maximum size norn lady who, well, towers over everyone she meets. I never noticed how tall she was until around lvl 40ish when I got out of norn areas.

oktarb

First, what class are you? I think that has more of an impact on the metagame than I realized at first.
A: Elementalist

Next, here are some things you might find compelling:
1) Grandmaster traits (which you can't unlock til level 60) can be very cool and change things up. Again, this will depend on class, though, they vary a lot

2) Once you have access to your full trait points at 80, you can completely rethink your build and trait configuration and have a lot of fun trying new things
A: Hmm interesting I'll have to look into this.

3) Something you might really enjoy is putting together a full rune set on your armor. In contrast to just "gearing up to handle more mobs"- IE the stat treadmill, which I do not enjoy at all personally- rune sets absolutely have the "new toy" feel to them. The 6-effect on most rune sets is very interesting. While a set might look like the basic, boring stat bonuses for 1-5, the 6 effect might be "summon a homicidal parrot on hit" or "turn into mist when you reach 10% life," or in the case of the Mad King set I put together during this event, "summon a bunch of birds to attack enemies when you use your elite skill." Since these effects are tied to the armor pieces itself, you could have multiple builds using multiple rune sets for dramatically different play. I have two other sets I know I want for sure, and getting the set you want that functions/looks the way you want it to is satisfying.
A: Well I've never even heard of this so that's great to hear.

4) Speaking of which, I noticed you didn't mention the aesthetics grind in your post at all.
Does getting cooler looking stuff not appeal to you? If that's the case, I have to imagine you could wind up finding the "stuff to do" quite lacking. The game clearly gives you a ton of aesthetic stuff to go for in a variety of ways- dungeon gear is all unique but the tokens are account bound; plenty of unique-looking weapons are available only on the mystic forge; Orr armor set looks different than anything else, and can only be bought with Karma. And of course there's legendary weapons for the long long long term. Getting the stats you need to play at the meta doesn't interest me that much (and luckily it's not that tough to do in this game!) but working toward getting cool-looking stuff keeps me interested. I really like coming across a weapon or armor set that would be horrible for my character but seems perfect to give to an alt one day.
A: Getting new gear, looks or function only goes so far with me. I like to get new gear sure but I rapidly get used to the look. Gear stats just don't matter much. i get a new sword and do slightly more damage or crit% but a barely notice it in game. Get stronger gear to kill tougher creatures so you can get better gear so you can kill better creatures - rinse repate. i realize I'm complaining about a tried and true MMO/Gaming concept but it alone doesn't hold my interest. new skills at least change play styles. Traits seems to be similiar to wow talent tree's.

edit: Full disclosure in response to SnakesWithLasers- I went from finding D3 fun but nonchallenging to mediocre and even less challenging to having my account hacked to outright disliking the game :( I haven't even beaten it on normal, and I really feel like I should. Was just supremely disappointed, can't imagine I'd enjoy the meta hook in that at all; this game has me completely hooked though.
A: I've beaten D3 on inferno (almost twice). The recent patches have radically fixed things, but ya same problem. Once I max a character out, and messed around awhile, gear alone doesn't cut it.

I realize you can't have infinite apples to chase and eventually every game see's the end game woes. I guess here I'm just concerned that I have 40+ levels to go..

Atrophis

How in the hell do you get to the chest after killing Mad King?? I cant survive the fall :/

Oh now its kicked me to LA without looting....wtf? You shouldn't be kicked out of a dungeon if you haven't looted the chest. Not like I was standing still AFK.

Boss Doggie

Finally got my monthly for the first time. All dat 10 jugs jugged with the 50% karma boost was delicious.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
How in the hell do you get to the chest after killing Mad King?? I cant survive the fall :/

Oh now its kicked me to LA without looting....wtf? You shouldn't be kicked out of a dungeon if you haven't looted the chest. Not like I was standing still AFK.

There is a route you can go - make sure you look around for platforms to land on. Are you skipping that jagged looking floating block of earth?

Atrophis

I had just figured it out (confirmed on Dulfys site) when it kicked me. Was just about to start the jumps from 2nd to 3rd level. Does this happen in other dungeons? Getting kicked whenever the game feels like it?

Deitus

Finally got my monthly for the first time. All dat 10 jugs jugged with the 50% karma boost was delicious.

Yeah, monthly rewards are so much better now that they've added the Karma jugs. Before when it was just 20 mystic coins, it was such a disappointing reward.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
A: I've beaten D3 on inferno (almost twice). The recent patches have radically fixed things, but ya same problem. Once I max a character out, and messed around awhile, gear alone doesn't cut it.

I realize you can't have infinite apples to chase and eventually every game see's the end game woes. I guess here I'm just concerned that I have 40+ levels to go..
Elementalist! I'm surprised at you mentioning traits, they have some of the coolest in the game, but level 38 is pretty low I suppose. How bout this one:
Evasive Arcana:
Create an attunement-based spell at the end of your dodge. Each spell can be triggered once every 10 seconds.
Fire: Flame Burst.
Water: Cleansing Wave.
Air: Blinding Flash.
Earth: Churning Earth.

With regard to the gear grind- you may have misunderstood me a little. This aspect: "Gear stats just don't matter much. i get a new sword and do slightly more damage or crit% but a barely notice it in game. Get stronger gear to kill tougher creatures so you can get better gear so you can kill better creatures - rinse repate"- GW2 just doesn't really have that so much, nowhere even close to D3, for example. All items of the same rarity at equivalent levels have the same total stats, just distributed to different areas. Thus at high level once you have Exotic rarity items, "gearing up" doesn't have anything to do with getting better gear, just the specific gear that's well suited to your build. It's relatively easily (trivial, basically) to get "max stat gear" in this game, both at any given level and at max level, and that's how I like it. That particular "tried-and-true MMO staple" you mentioned basically doesn't exist at all in this game. :)

But what I was talking about was solely aesthetics (looks) With transmutation stones, you can have any weapon you want use any skin you want. Some of the skins are rare and difficult to obtain. I find working toward these, with the reward of looking cooler eventually, to be fun. If that doesn't interest you at all it's definitely going to make a lot of content seem silly.

However, we may be missing out on a crucial aspect here- you might just not enjoy the gameplay itself. If getting from level 38 to 80 seems like a daunting proposition to you or you're not looking forward to it, maybe you just don't like how the game plays. I'm curious as to what a typical play session entails for you- do you find yourself having fun? If so, just keep playing and you'll get to 80 without having to think about it! If not, hoping that something will change dramatically that will suddenly cause you to start having fun is wishful thinking.

All that said, my original answers stand- I think there's a layer of depth you might enjoy as far as "new toys" to play with, if you do make it that far. :D

Same.

Is there a function, or has there been one announced, to change character size?

I really like my smallest-possible norn alts, but my main is a near-maximum size norn lady who, well, towers over everyone she meets. I never noticed how tall she was until around lvl 40ish when I got out of norn areas.

There's a slider during character creation. The shortest Norn female is shorter than the tallest male human.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom