• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deitus

It's timed. Trying it with a controller will severely handicap you.

I'm not sure what being timed has anything to do with it. In my experience, a controller is often better for jumping puzzles in this game, and at worst on par with mouse and keyboard.

oktarb

I'm curious as to what a typical play session entails for you- do you find yourself having fun?

So I log on and decide which character I want to play. I end up with my Elementalist the most and hence my highest as I love the versatility of the elements. My Warrior logs in second at 35th level. Both are great fun playing with a controller and capture a different feel. I hate pets so that kind of killed Rangers and necros for me. I tend to like purest classes not jack of all trades.

I generally run around a map finding various locations, way points and help missions trying to complete a map. Occasionally a dynamic mission will grab my attention. About every 5 levels or so I head to town to craft out a new set of gear and weapons and then knap sack in hand I head back out, maybe this time to progress my story arch another mission. I like my story arc to be about 2 levels above me. I've stopped fixating on skill points as I have all I really want. I still grab them to complete a map but they are no longer my first priority.

As I gather materials and complete various mini tasks I tryout different weapons and elements just to keep things fresh. I end up with a staff or two daggers in Fire mode whenever a fight gets serious. My off spells are arcane based instanced ones. I dubbed them 'Pink Death".

Occasionally I'll see another high level class wander by reaping death and destruction and I'll log onto an alt to give them a feel.

If I come across a jumping puzzle I won't leave until I've conquered it.

I haven't tried any dungeons due to the fact that there is no dungeon finder. Most of you are running content way above my level and though I realize I level up to it I haven't broken that cherry yet due to intimidation.

I am now eye balling WvW with a Spock eyebrow raised in suspicion. I LOVED Dark Age of Camelot, back in the day and this game often feels like the spiritual successor.

I just look at my Elite skills, I bought Tornado and well I was underwhelmed. the other is my racial - Summon Forest Elemental but I hate pets and wonder 'That's it?" Seems Traits hold more power than I knew.

Things I love:

* General look of the game (Sweet FXAA is awesome)
* Pick a direction and there's something to do
* Go anywhere and you level up/down so all content is viable content

Two things I wish they would steal from rift:
* The hidden artifact pieces scattered around the world. Adds yet another level to exploration.
* In new expansion they added personal dimension homes. that kind of thing makes me giggle like a school girl getting her first Barbie dream house.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sounds like you're playing ideally! My advice is, just stick with it until it's not fun anymore, then take a break til you feel like playing again. With no monthly fee there's no penalty for doing so.

Happy to run AC (the first dungeon) with you anytime if you like. They just substantially upped the dungeon rewards for all paths and are about to do so again. You may be misled, though- you don't scale up in levels for dungeons; you can't do them until you're the appropriate level without getting massacred. You will be scaled down to lower-level dungeons when you're higher- but you will still receive level appropriate rewards (level 70-80 items in a level 35 dungeon, though in practice this just means "more cash").

WvW is a blast. If not for the queues I'd play it every session.

You have more than two elite skills to choose from you know. You're a human and an elementalist and I know very little about either but there may be an elite that is better for you than either of the two you mentioned.

Atrophis

What server is the Euro guild supposed to be on anyway?

Gandara.

Spent most of the night doing the act 2 book quest. Getting to Sparkfly Fen at level 33 was a complete mission but I've gotten half a bar of XP on the way so its not a complete loss. Cant get the last memory though because its full of high level mobs and no one's around to help :( *waits*

Oh but I did see that massive ship rise up out of the water, holy shit has to be the coolest thing I've seen in the game so far.

You have more than two elite skills to choose from you know. You're a human and an elementalist and I know very little about either but there may be an elite that is better for you than either of the two you mentioned.
The greater elemental summoning glyph isn't too bad. Earth makes for a useful damage sponge.
Unless I am running an Air Magic trait build, I prefer the fiery greatsword. It makes for a solid damage elite with some good mobility.

Morokh

Is there anyone in the Euro guild still playing? People I've been told to contact are never online.

New management took place tonight, they should be able to help you :

Lady Sanrya, Cruzaegis, Filler Taitales, Alabaster Codify, Chloe Haag, or Rawz.5892 (he has too many weird named characters xD)

But what if in WvW your server is the losing one?

If you're desperate, I'd just switch servers to a competitive match and then come back. It's what I did when I needed WvW map completion (though back when it was unlimited transfers and not 24 hours like it is now). And yes I realized you already completed your monthly.

Speaking of which I need to complete mine, though my last hurdle left is salvaging. I'm only a few dozen away, so I'll just play it safe and get some cheap stuff from the TP. And also the pumpkin carving achievement/title (ugh this is one is such a grind).

Edit: Looks like Anet finally acknowledged the transfer problem in WvW:
Due to community concerns about the effect of free transfers on world versus world, starting on November 1 we are going to change how often players are allowed to transfer worlds. After the update, players will be able to transfer worlds once every 7 days instead of once every 24 hours. We are also actively working on getting the guesting functionality in place. Thank you for your understanding.

Katoki

Once every seven days doesn't really do it though IMO. Not hard to jump ship the same time every week. It'll only stop people from "spying" one day and leaving the next and stuff that fit those kinds of short spurts of time.

On a different note, I found a treasure goblin skritt last night. I didn't have enough damage to burst it down before it escaped through mobs of lots of other stuff though. They seem to show up in the most random chests that sit in the middle of open fields. So if it looks like a trap, call for help. It drops bags of loot at certain distances as it runs along like the Diablo III one would make a coin trail.

Once every seven days doesn't really do it though IMO. Not hard to jump ship the same time every week. It'll only stop people from "spying" one day and leaving the next and stuff that fit those kinds of short spurts of time.

While I agree it won't help the big problems and I believe WvW is broken beyond repair (barring some major changes), it's a start at least.

Guesting is what I'm really waiting for since all my SA friends are on Maguuma.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The greater elemental summoning glyph isn't too bad. Earth makes for a useful damage sponge.
Unless I am running an Air Magic trait build, I prefer the fiery greatsword. It makes for a solid damage elite with some good mobility.
Ooh that's an elite eh? Love how it makes an extra for a pal.

Atrophis

New management took place tonight, they should be able to help you :

Lady Sanrya, Cruzaegis, Filler Taitales, Alabaster Codify, Chloe Haag, or Rawz.5892 (he has too many weird named characters xD)

Thanks!

Just trying the clock tower...this is no joke :O

Also I think I will throw my vote in for norn > human in the chesty department...

JRxbR.jpg

Retro

From the GW2 forums:

We heard your questions about extending the Halloween event for those of you affected by Sandy. Unfortunately we cannot do that, but the reason why we can’t is exciting: We are preparing for our big November update, which will start on November 15, and there will be content that will be in the game prior to that, leading up to the event. But we also want to use this moment to remind you all that your personal safety is much more important than any computer game. If you could be affected by the storm, please listen to the authorities and take every precaution to ensure you and your loved ones are safe. Tyria will still be there once the storm is over.

Edit: Beaten like the Mid-Atlantic coast (I can joke about it because it's happening to me.)

jersoc

damn, nov 15 is a lot quicker than i thought it would be. and with events too? So i figure we got a week of "down time" after halloween.

i hope the events are massive for the main ones. we need more long ass chains. and hopefully they scale too. people are going to flock to them worse than orr.

Jira

damn, nov 15 is a lot quicker than i thought it would be. and with events too? So i figure we got a week of "down time" after halloween.

i hope the events are massive for the main ones. we need more long ass chains. and hopefully they scale too. people are going to flock to them worse than orr.

Well the rumored 3 day event that coincides with this will mean it might start on the 12th which is a Monday so that makes sense. My guess is the 3 day event is a one time thing that will open up the rumored new island.

Atrophis

I gave up and started farming the labyrinth. Crazy xp in there and plenty of stuff to sell. Must be great drops if your 80 haha.

Have to say this event started off a tad slow but ArenaNet have delivered. Whoever said they do the best events were not lying! Then they go and give us more content in only a couple of weeks :D

KuroNeeko

Wish I could feel the love from my Mesmer again. I just don't feel like I'm doing damage with her. Seems like it takes longer and more work to kill things. Great survivability though and the visuals are always cool....Wrote a bunch of stuff but changed my mind. Guess I'll give her another chance since she's my only post-30 character.

I love my necromancer, but her gameplay just seems so...limited compared to Mesmer. Engineer has a crapload of versatility, but I didn't feel like I was contributing much in our Mad King runs last night. I just ran around rezzing, dropping Elixir S, and the buffing people with the purple Elixir. Wish they had something other than guns and the backpacks didn't look so big and bulky. Guardian hammer and staff is fun, but so slow. Man, I sound like a real nitpicker. :/

Cross-link from the GAFGuild-forum. I'm just posting it here so it gets some attention as that forum isn't used much. This primarily concerns NGAF/EU-GAF but feel free to post your opinions. Every bit helps.

Are you there EU-GAF? It's me, FillerB.

Not to make light of the situation, but this post made me watch this again.

Posted my 2 copper on GAFGuild.

If you aren't feeling it by about 20-25, give another class a shot. I always figure that's about the point you start to really feel the class and the skills it brings to the table.

Damn dood, I only have one character over this level range after about 2 months of playing. I usually know by about level 10, mid-teens at the latest.

Wallach

Kuro, how do you have your Engineer set up? There's a lot of different ways to run with the class and some feel very different than others. Mind you, if you aren't a fan of the guns that is a hard one to get over since you never really want to feel down on such a core aspect of a class. They can really be a powerful support class if that's what you want though.

Well the rumored 3 day event that coincides with this will mean it might start on the 12th which is a Monday so that makes sense. My guess is the 3 day event is a one time thing that will open up the rumored new island.

Elaborate. What island is this?

KuroNeeko

My engineer is still level 20.

I've been using the rifle up until now because I really like the control options it gives me. My first 10 points have been in the Tools line because I tend to use a lot of gadgets. Speedy kits is fun, but it's a pain in the butt equipping and unequipping a kit every 5 seconds.

In solo play, I tend to go Elixir B, Rifle Turret, and Personal Battering Ram. Sometimes I switch out the turret to go with the Goggles or Rocket Boots. Healing Turret goes for healing. I usually go Speedy Gadgets if I'm fighting a lot of mobs in a short period of time and Static Discharge if I just want to burst single targets down. Heck, sometimes I switch stuff out for Mines and Flamethrower just because it's fun.

Solo play Engineer is fun, I like it. I can take stronger enemies and veterans will little trouble in 1 on 1 if I have room to kite. The only thing I don't like about the rifle is the *don* *don* *don* sound it makes with the autofiring. The pistols are the same. I'm sure it's just me, but I get the same way about Mesmer Greatsword 1. I just don't like the autoattack sound. :p

In group play, I don't know, I just didn't feel like I was doing much outside of what I wrote a few posts back. I haven't unlocked Elixir gun yet so that's one thing. I tried bombs, grenades, turrets, health kits, Elixir B tool skills on allies, healing turrets - it just seemed lackluster. Kind of the opposite of Elementalist who is squishy and hard to play in PvE, flashy and excels in group play.

As for the kits (especially flamethrower) I like the functionality but not the big, clunky ass backpack. Again, just personal preference, but a sleek, gadget using engineer (like a ninja or spy) would have been really cool.

I guess if later guns don't sound so jarring, then I can probably stick with the class. Having only two weapon sets sucks hardcore, but they're so versatile it's hard to get bored. I guess I just need to learn to play a bit more.

Elaborate. What island is this?
There are a couple possibilities. One is that the new island could just be something we haven't seen before. Another possibility is the floating island/castle in the kessex region. Last, but not least, would be an island in the Fire Island chain. Possibly the beginning of Anet's introduction of that content.

Giard

Does the "Attend the Party" achievement count towards "Emissary of the Mad King"? or will I really have to beat the clock tower?
Seems like "Pumpkin Carving" doesn't count.

EDIT: nvm, read the wiki. Clock Tower doesn't count either. YES

Wallach

Solo play Engineer is fun, I like it. I can take stronger enemies and veterans will little trouble in 1 on 1 if I have room to kite. The only thing I don't like about the rifle is the *don* *don* *don* sound it makes with the autofiring. The pistols are the same. I'm sure it's just me, but I get the same way about Mesmer Greatsword 1. I just don't like the autoattack sound. :p

It might sound weird to others, but I think if this is really true then I would not bother with the class at all. I am the same way about certain things like that, and this issue in particular would be pretty hard to shake in this game considering every single weapon of a particular type makes the same sounds. There's no way I'd put up with that for potentially hundreds of hours; too basic a quality of life issue to invest significant time.

Based on what else you mentioned, I think I'd stick with the Elementalist and try to invest more time into learning how to do solo PvE well. There are definitely strong setups for that within the class, and it sounds like you already enjoy the general play style. I feel like they are the class most similar to the Engineer in that they have a lot of very strong and varied options compared to most of the other classes, and their gameplay seems slightly more involved than the others'.

For what it's worth I agree about the Necromancer. I desperately want to like the class - I almost never make alts and I made a Necro not long after my Engineer hit 80 - but they just seem like a simple, almost shallow class right now. There are certainly at least a couple very strong build options, but they are extremely straightforward to play. Their traits are also a fuckin' train wreck™ and leave me shaking my head every time I look at them.

BrettWeir

My engineer is still level 20.

I've been using the rifle up until now because I really like the control options it gives me. My first 10 points have been in the Tools line because I tend to use a lot of gadgets. Speedy kits is fun, but it's a pain in the butt equipping and unequipping a kit every 5 seconds.

In solo play, I tend to go Elixir B, Rifle Turret, and Personal Battering Ram. Sometimes I switch out the turret to go with the Goggles or Rocket Boots. Healing Turret goes for healing. I usually go Speedy Gadgets if I'm fighting a lot of mobs in a short period of time and Static Discharge if I just want to burst single targets down. Heck, sometimes I switch stuff out for Mines and Flamethrower just because it's fun.

In group play, I don't know, I just didn't feel like I was doing much outside of what I wrote a few posts back. I haven't unlocked Elixir gun yet so that's one thing. I tried bombs, grenades, turrets, health kits, Elixir B tool skills on allies, healing turrets - it just seemed lackluster. Kind of the opposite of Elementalist who is squishy and hard to play in PvE, flashy and excels in group play.

As for the kits (especially flamethrower) I like the functionality but not the big, clunky ass backpack. Again, just personal preference, but a sleek, gadget using engineer (like a ninja or spy) would have been really cool.

I guess if later guns don't sound so jarring, then I can probably stick with the class. Having only two weapon sets sucks hardcore, but they're so versatile it's hard to get bored. I guess I just need to learn to play a bit more.

I have almost 400 hours on my Engi, and feel your pain on the auto attack sounds of rifle/pistols. The game changes drastically once you can get 30 points in and get Grenadier trait. Your damage output is increased by 50% by the third grenade alone.

Not sure if you are into WvW or not, but this video has an astounding player and shows what the Engi is capable of (in full Berserker's gear)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9IdpgUJCvs

The class is amazing. So many options.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Oh they added that requirement huh? Back then I saw the doors without doing them.

Like markot said, it's always been there, but you likely already completed the pre-reqs in the zone you first saw the doors. I was the same way until I read that article and realized there WERE events necessary to see the doors pop!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom