• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

oktarb

On the main site, they describe the personal story as "also change and update your home instance, a personalized home area located in your character’s racial capital."

Without spoilers what area are they talking about?

Complistic

The choices you make during your story impact the npc's in your home instance. I think that's a WIP. I'm pretty sure they have big plans for the home instance.

leng jai

Come on Anet give us horde mode. Orr is basically the same thing anyway except without the rewards or sense of achievement.

Giard

Just bought 10 unidentified dyes, one of them was Abyss. I don't know if I should sell it or use it.

Help me, GAF.

Arcteryx

On the main site, they describe the personal story as "also change and update your home instance, a personalized home area located in your character’s racial capital."

Without spoilers what area are they talking about?

If you are a Norn, there is an instance in Hoelbrok near where the cultural armor vendors are(on the steps leading down to them). AFAIR there is a merchant and just a lot of people standing around doing nothing. Probably WIP as someone said above.

Arksy

Hey guys, I've had exams and want to catch up on the halloween stuff. What can't I do now and what can I do? I'm a bit upset I missed out and am a completionist.

Hey guys, I've had exams and want to catch up on the halloween stuff. What can't I do now and what can I do? I'm a bit upset I missed out and am a completionist.

Nothing really sorry, if you go to where the lion statue used to be in Lion's arch you may still be able to get a Witch's hat and the associated achievement.

Fishious

Can i even enter WvWvW below level 80 ? And if so, does it make sense to do so?

I'd like to try it but am only level 46 or so hmm

Yes you can. Your stats scale to 80 upon entering WvW. Other things such as skills unlocked and traits don't change. Essentially you'll be weaker that a real level 80 with full exotic gear, but it shouldn't really be a problem. Most fighting happens in groups where your contribution won't be significantly less than anyone else, and you can always help in other ways like manning siege weapons or running supply.

Retro

Can i even enter WvWvW below level 80 ? And if so, does it make sense to do so?

I'd like to try it but am only level 46 or so hmm

Yes, when you enter WvW you'll be auto-leveled to 80.

The only thing you'll be missing are any skills you haven't unlocked. Gear scales up too, but obviously having better gear 80 is better than having scaled up gear from 40. However, it shouldn't make THAT much of a difference, which is the great thing about WvW and GW2 in general; there aren't really any parts of the game that you can't enjoy and play at a respectable capacity regardless of level.

Go ahead and jump in, you'll have fun assuming you don't bump into a zerg.

Edit: Heh, Fishious and I's responses are pretty much identical, but he wins for mentioning running supply. That can't be emphasized enough, even if you're just hauling around supply to repair structures or set up siege, you'll contribute more than most people. Also, getting in a small Supply Camp raiding party and just terrorizing the enemy's back yard is fast, fun and has decent rewards.

etiolate

Banned
Once I got my third utility slot and elixir gun, I started doing WvWvW on my engineer. I knew I could function pretty well at that point. I think its hard to succeed in WvWvW before 20, but maybe you could hide in a zerg.

ok thanks guys i will give it a shot tonight...

Now, should i take my Level 20 Thief in there or my 47 Elementalist? Since it doesn't really matter hmm

what are the rewards and what are they based on generally?

Quick question, are there "Festival Hat Makers" in GW2? I don't wanna lug around these Demon Horns and Witch Hats if I don't have to, but am worried destroying them means losing them for good.

Now, should i take my Level 20 Thief in there or my 47 Elementalist? Since it doesn't really matter hmm

what are the rewards and what are they based on generally?

Either would be viable, but keep in mind that you'll be disadvantaged in 1v1 encounters, so whichever suits you better in a group would probably be your best pick.

For rewards, you get:
-Karma and experience for completing events (just like dynamic events in PvE), the events are things like taking/defending camps/towers/keeps, and a few PvE-style events like "kill the veteran wurm"
-Gold and normal drops (scaled to your level) from killing enemies
-Badges of honor from killing enemies, which can be used to buy siege equipment and gear

nataku

Quick question, are there "Festival Hat Makers" in GW2? I don't wanna lug around these Demon Horns and Witch Hats if I don't have to, but am worried destroying them means losing them for good.

Nope, not yet. They really need to add them if they're going to start handing out hats all the time.

etiolate

Banned
This is not often discussed, but due to the recent events created by the occurrence of the Lost Isles, I think it is worth discussing.

The Humpback Whale is a majestic and beautiful creature. To most people the calls of the humpback are a soothing, primordial call back to the womb.

Everyone loves the whales.

Except POLAR BEARS.

iP61xXcWPKqA1.png

ibv8FcN3ESAkL7.png

iBQVKyjoHduzQ.png

iNVddmvfKFh42.png

iAQ0VMNkZaUV8.png

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is there an actual event going on, or just stuff prepping for the next major update? I'm updating my client and going to try and level a bit...I want to make sure I do any events that are available, haha.

Ok that was... sort of fun, we managed to take a tower fort down after like 2 hours of relentless fighting :)

One question though, i figured out how to take supplies to help build catapults etc. but how do you actually START building them yourself?

etiolate

Banned
Ok that was... sort of fun, we managed to take a tower fort down after like 2 hours of relentless fighting :)

One question though, i figured out how to take supplies to help build catapults etc. but how do you actually START building them yourself?

You buy blueprints from the siege merchant. These merchants are most easily found at the spawn point for your server on a map.

You can also get blueprints from completing one of the jumping puzzles, but that's a bit harder to access.

You buy blueprints from the siege merchant. These merchants are most easily found at the spawn point for your server on a map.

You can also get blueprints from completing one of the jumping puzzles, but that's a bit harder to access.

great, thanks...

Those blueprints though, do you buy like ONE and then you get to use that one all the time or you need to buy one each time and how much are they anyways?

great, thanks...

Those blueprints though, do you buy like ONE and then you get to use that one all the time or you need to buy one each time and how much are they anyways?

Have to buy them each time. They're mostly in the 5-20 silver range, depending on the blueprint. I think you can also get them as drops, but they're rare.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
This is not often discussed, but due to the recent events created by the occurrence of the Lost Isles, I think it is worth discussing.

The Humpback Whale is a majestic and beautiful creature. To most people the calls of the humpback are a soothing, primordial call back to the womb.

Everyone loves the whales.

Except POLAR BEARS.

Whoa, and to think kodans wouldn't be assholes.

etiolate

Banned
Since you're going to be basically a pug or part of a small group, I wouldn't bother carrying any blueprints above flame ram, arrow cart or a ballista.

You use flame rams on doors where you have cleared any hot oil pots and have enough people to keep defense off the walls. Arrow Carts are good for large battles and defenses. Ballistaes have different uses. They can be used on defense or offense. They are most useful when dealing with enemy siege equipment hitting a wall or door.

Catas, Trebuchets and Golems are more situational and I would wait until someone calls for one. Trebs and Golems cost quite a bit and are a larger waste of resources if improperly placed or timed.

As someone who plays solo and who switches between ganking solo or in small squads and then moving over to the larger commander led zergs, I tend to carry only Arrow Carts or Ballista blueprints. I don't carry flame rams because if you're assaulting a door then I assume you have a large group and a leader who already knows that someone with them has the needed flameram blueprints.

My other tips are these:

-Don't take supply from a Tower, Keep or castle unless its being used to repair the walls of that structure or build defenses for that structure.
-Get supply from supply camps and do always drain a freshly taken enemy supply camp if you are out of supply.
The basic strategy here is that if you take a supply camp deep in enemy territory, it will be hard to defend, but if you take it and drain the supply then that disrupts reinforcements on the larger structures that your server is intending to actually take and keep.
-Movement and Escape skills are highly useful in WvWvW. Almost all my utility skills are defensive or escape skills when in WvWvW.
On my Mesmer, I bring Decoy, Blink and Mirrored Feedback, with Mass Invisibility as my elite. On my Engineer, I do bring grenade kit because it's the best ranged and aoe option for Engineers in a gamemode thats full of ranged aoe fights, but I also bring Elixir gun to heal and support my allies, and elixirs that provide immunity or speed buffs as my other utilities.

-Don't take supply from a Tower, Keep or castle unless its being used to repair the walls of that structure or build defenses for that structure.

The one caveat I'd add to this is that it's okay to take supply if the tower/keep is fully upgraded and has a full supply stash, because otherwise the incoming supply is just getting wasted.

Got 2 Abyss Dyes, 1 Celestial Dye in the same day. Don't think I'll ever be as lucky as this again.

Damn, I'm jealous. I'm pushing 200 hours in the game and I still haven't found a valuable dye. -_-

One of my friends got an Abyss as one of his first drops -- he couldn't even afford to list it on the TP until a few days later.

Rarutos

I was randomly looking at the map and noticed that the floating castle in the southeast corner of Kessex Hills isn't blurred out on it anymore! Mysterious...

Or maybe it was never blurred out? Either way, first time I noticed!

- Thanks for the WvWvW tips! I will dig deeper into this tonight...

- As for dyes, i only found a "rare"/yellow dye so far hmm goes for like 5 silver on the TP sucks eh?

- The flying castle? I was there yesterday by chance and saw it as well, it was kind of in the clouds, not sure if i'd call it blurry hmm

Huh, so unidentified dyes are more expensive than common to uncommon.

There is a small chance of landing an Abyss, Celestial, White, Black etc... but for a lot of flippers it has become the default commodity due to the large volumes and identifiable trends. But you need huge capital and need to pay far more attention than it's really worth.

As far as a controller is concerned, can you just plug a 360 controller in and the game will recognize it as such or do you need a special program to configure it etc.?

I have no qualms about playing M/KB but whenever i play for prolonged periods of time i tend to get should pain so a controller might help here.

Another question for you Thieves here:

What good does STEALING actually do and should i look into it? i tried it once but it didn't really get me a whole lot so i ignored it...

BrettWeir

What good does STEALING actually do and should i look into it? i tried it once but it didn't really get me a whole lot so i ignored it...

Spec into Mug. It's one of the most devastating attacks in the game. Basilisk Venom > Steal > Cloak and Dagger > Backstab = dead medium/light armor classes (mostly).

Lrn2reed

Neo Member

Stealing can be a gift from the gods! I didn't realize its value until I ran AC Exp for the first time. Steal > fear ability has come in handy so many times there.

Once you get a good idea of the results from steal it really does help.

2San

So what are the ways to contact support. My friend got banned. I reckon because his account got hacked, since he was online when he was sleeping. He requested a support ticket on Thursday and they still haven't gotten back to him.

It's best thief ability in game. What it means to you depends on your build though. The best thing about it imo is that it shadow steps. So you can do a skill with a long startup time from afar and teleport for an instant guaranteed hit.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
As far as a controller is concerned, can you just plug a 360 controller in and the game will recognize it as such or do you need a special program to configure it etc.?

I have no qualms about playing M/KB but whenever i play for prolonged periods of time i tend to get should pain so a controller might help here.
I wish it was plug-and-play, but it is a little more involved. It's quite simple though.

http://gamingmusings.blogspot.com/2012/07/how-to-play-guild-wars-2-with-controller.html
Everything you need (programs included) can be downloaded in a package here with instructions. You just have to do a small number of keybinds in game.

Stealing is incredibly valuable. I haven't even tried a build with Mug, but apparently it can do a ton of damage and apply venoms.

For me, Stealing gives me 3 initiative, me and allies fury, might, swiftness, and vigor, steals two boons from my target and gives them to me and allies, a free shadowstep (which I can follow with pistol/dagger 3 for no danger) and of course one of the items:
Blinding Tuft Throw a handful of feathers, vanishing in stealth and blinding nearby foes.

Bone Crack Stun your foe

Branch Bash Launch your foe, breaking the branch

Consume Ectoplasm Gain all boons.

Drink You become invulnerable.

Eat Egg Restore health and initiative.

Exploding Venom Sack Cover the target area in a poisonous cloud

Ice Shard Stab Stab and Chill your foe.

Mace Head Crack Daze your foe.

Rusty Scrap Strike Bleed, poison, and weaken your foe with a strike from your rusty scrap.

Shoot Rifle Shoot your foe, launching them back and making them vulnerable while pushing yourself back.

Skull Fear Strike Fear into nearby foes.

Throw Feathers Throw a handful of feathers to blind nearby foes. Stealth yourself.

Throw Gunk Throw gunk at target area to inflict a random condition. Creates an ethereal combo field.

Throw Lava Rock Throw a lava rock that burns your foe.

Throw Net Immobilize foes by throwing your net.

Throw Rock (thief stolen skill) Throw a rock to knock down your foe.

Throw Scale Throw the scale to Bleed and Poison your foe.

Tooth Stab Stab and bleed your foe.

Use Staff Use the staff to create random attacks. 50% chance to damage and stun foes with a Chain Lightning that strikes up to three foes. 50% chance to damage and burn a single foe with a Fireball.

Whirling Axe (thief stolen skill) Spin and attack nearby foes. You can move while spinning.
All of these are useful, but I highlighted a couple that can turn the tide of a fight.

There's also a spec where you can gain stealth when you steal, and combined with the initiative on Stealing and/or on Stealth trait... god thieves are so good

Steal is good. Spec into it for more initiative on use, stealth, poison, damage, the might/fury/swiftness buffs, boon steal, and more all in one skill.

I like to use it to combo stuff. Like with Dagger/Dagger you can do 333>Steal 33 or more if you have more initiative/initiative regen.

niiiice...

2 things that are seemingly annoying to Steal though as far as i can see?

- the cooldown is pretty long for continued use on tons of mobs (i assume you can remedy this by certain skills?)

- the random nature of those "objects" you get since i tried on the same kind of mobs a couple times and i didn't get the same object every time so it's unpredictable then or is there a way to tell? i mean SOME items i got were fantastic, they gave me like 5 or 6 great buffs all at once, while others just plain SUCK hmm

2San

There's also a spec where you can gain stealth when you steal, and combined with the initiative on Stealing and/or on Stealth trait... god thieves are so good
Isn't that useless? Since a proper stealth build has the dagger off hand. With Cloak and Dagger to steal combo your are stealthed anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom