• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe a silly question but how do I find/come across side quests? I find that I've only doing story missions, and the one I'm at now requires me to be a little more leveled.

Also, is there a reason the game doesn't explain what the crafting stuff is better? I see all of the trainers/masters, go over to them and it pops up a tip/hint bubble and that's it. Doesn't actually explain much more than that.

Overall I just often feel overwhelmed with stuff on screen but not actually having it properly explained to me. :(

Thanks!

There really are no "side quests" per say, not like in more traditional MMOs at least. First look on your map for either a spyglass or a heart icon. the spyglass NPCs will explain what is going on in the region, reveal heart areas for you, and uncover portions of the map that are under fog of war still.

After that just wander into hearts and complete whatever the task says to do on the upper right. If you see an orange circle on your map, that means there's an event there, go wander into the circle and like the hears, do whatever it tells you to do.

Crafting should be explained a lot better than it is. Here's a full breakdown of how it works - http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crafting

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to help!

Ran out of time to do the pumpkin carving, but managed to get 5 achievements done for the event (even if I needed to buy 90 ToT bags).

Too bad my character's only level 34 or else I would've attempted the second part of the scavenger hunt.

I guess the Candy Corn will go up in price on the TP now?

Deitus

Maybe a silly question but how do I find/come across side quests? I find that I've only doing story missions, and the one I'm at now requires me to be a little more leveled.

Also, is there a reason the game doesn't explain what the crafting stuff is better? I see all of the trainers/masters, go over to them and it pops up a tip/hint bubble and that's it. Doesn't actually explain much more than that.

Overall I just often feel overwhelmed with stuff on screen but not actually having it properly explained to me. :(

Thanks!

There are no "quest givers" in the traditional sense. When you are exploring the world, the top right of your UI will update letting you know there is an event in the vicinity, and an orange icon with an orange ring around it letting you know where the event is taking place. The event text in the upper right will detail what needs to be done to complete the event, and what the current progress/status is. These events pop up at intervals in the world, and you don't need to talk to anyone to accept them, you just need to show up and participate.

When there is not an event going on, there are heart icons on your map that indicate quests. These are permanent quests that can be done at any time (but only once) and count towards map completion. Almost every Heart quest has multiple objectives that count towards completion; all filling a common bar, and usually at least one of these involves combat. You can complete a heart quest by doing any one objective, or any combination of objectives. Once again, you don't need to accept the quest, just show up in the area and start doing objectives (although there are a few hearts that require you to talk to an NPC to get an essential item, or to have them transform you). When you complete a heart quest, the NPC will mail you a monetary reward. Also, every heart quest NPC becomes a Karma vendor after the quest is complete, allowing you to buy items from them using karma accumulated from events and other sources.

Heart quests are not the meat of the game, and are generally less interesting than events, but they are something to do when no events are around. The nice part is, if an event takes place near a heart quest, you usually will get enough kills in the event to complete the heart quest without even trying.

Crafting... would take another large post to explain in detail, so I'm not going to get into it right now.

There really are no "side quests" per say, not like in more traditional MMOs at least. First look on your map for either a spyglass or a heart icon. the spyglass NPCs will explain what is going on in the region, reveal heart areas for you, and uncover portions of the map that are under fog of war still.

After that just wander into hearts and complete whatever the task says to do on the upper right. If you see an orange circle on your map, that means there's an event there, go wander into the circle and like the hears, do whatever it tells you to do.

Crafting should be explained a lot better than it is. Here's a full breakdown of how it works - http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crafting

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to help!

Thank you very much for your help, that's great. :)

There are no "quest givers" in the traditional sense. When you are exploring the world, the top right of your UI will update letting you know there is an event in the vicinity, and an orange icon with an orange ring around it letting you know where the event is taking place. The event text in the upper right will detail what needs to be done to complete the event, and what the current progress/status is. These events pop up at intervals in the world, and you don't need to talk to anyone to accept them, you just need to show up and participate.

When there is not an event going on, there are heart icons on your map that indicate quests. These are permanent quests that can be done at any time (but only once) and count towards map completion. Almost every Heart quest has multiple objectives that count towards completion; all filling a common bar, and usually at least one of these involves combat. You can complete a heart quest by doing any one objective, or any combination of objectives. Once again, you don't need to accept the quest, just show up in the area and start doing objectives (although there are a few hearts that require you to talk to an NPC to get an essential item, or to have them transform you). When you complete a heart quest, the NPC will mail you a monetary reward. Also, every heart quest NPC becomes a Karma vendor after the quest is complete, allowing you to buy items from them using karma accumulated from events and other sources.

Heart quests are not the meat of the game, and are generally less interesting than events, but they are something to do when no events are around. The nice part is, if an event takes place near a heart quest, you usually will get enough kills in the event to complete the heart quest without even trying.

Crafting... would take another large post to explain in detail, so I'm not going to get into it right now.

Thank you to you too! :)

jersoc

YES!!!!! OMG orbs are being removed!!

no seriously, this is needed and a great change to leveling the field. getting a free 3k hp is huge.

After a careful reevaluation of orbs of power we have decided to remove them from WvW in an upcoming build. As implemented, orbs tend to strengthen teams who are already winning and make it even more difficult for underdog teams to fight back. In addition, the current implementation seems to be irresistible to hackers/cheaters and will require significant modification to prevent cheaters from having an unfortunately large impact on the state of any given WvW game. Under the circumstances we believe that removing orbs completely is a better choice than attempting an in-place redesign/re-implementation as it will immediately put a stop to all orb hacking. It is likely that orbs, or some orb-like mechanic, will return at some point in the future, but only after we are confident that they will not exhibit the sorts of issues that we see with orbs today.

i'd rather they design some better incentive really. make places you hold give bonus xp/karma/magic find. xp and karma will benefit in wvw as well as pve.

etiolate

Banned
Big change coming

After a careful reevaluation of orbs of power we have decided to remove them from WvW in an upcoming build. As implemented, orbs tend to strengthen teams who are already winning and make it even more difficult for underdog teams to fight back. In addition, the current implementation seems to be irresistible to hackers/cheaters and will require significant modification to prevent cheaters from having an unfortunately large impact on the state of any given WvW game. Under the circumstances we believe that removing orbs completely is a better choice than attempting an in-place redesign/re-implementation as it will immediately put a stop to all orb hacking. It is likely that orbs, or some orb-like mechanic, will return at some point in the future, but only after we are confident that they will not exhibit the sorts of issues that we see with orbs today.

scotcheggz

I'm thinking of picking this up a little later from Green Man Gaming with their discount code. Don't really know anything about it and didn't really follow the hype train, but I'd like to make a thief probably, are builds in this game fairly flexible or is it all very tied down to 1 or 2 good builds ------> everything else?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Kind of wish we got something more substantial than a crappy title for all the Halloween achievements. Oh well.

Moondrop

Banned
I'd like to make a thief probably, are builds in this game fairly flexible or is it all very tied down to 1 or 2 good builds ------> everything else?

Each profession has a general set of strengths and weaknesses, but within that you can structure the skills with which you act and balance damage vs. survivability.

I would recommend figuring out how you like to play, and then choosing a profession that suits your strengths.

Edit: I would call builds in GW2 generally flexible, but many others who are in love with a particular skill or trait would disagree. In structured PVP however, limitations on stat distribution reduce the number of viable builds.

lol51

some screenshots from this halloween event:

Clipboard02-5.jpg

Clipboard01-7.jpg

r2.jpg

Vossler

Eh so gems have gotten a lot more expensive now on the TP, should i buy some NOW even though i barely have cash until they get even MORE expensive? :(

My thinking is that the Gems will actually drop in price up until around Wintersday....I personally am going to wait about a week and see where they settle. I'm thinking it'll be somewhere around 50s.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm thinking of picking this up a little later from Green Man Gaming with their discount code. Don't really know anything about it and didn't really follow the hype train, but I'd like to make a thief probably, are builds in this game fairly flexible or is it all very tied down to 1 or 2 good builds ------> everything else?
Incredibly flexible and Thieves especially a good choice if you're looking for fluidity.

Feel free to ask me lots of questions :D

Iresecia

Neo Member
I never really use Water element. Is there a use for it other than freeing conditions?

I'm more of a healing spec on elementalist due to my enjoyment of full support builds. If you put 5 points into the water trait you give a regen boost to yourself and people around you. If that doesn't interest you, I'd say avoid water. The skills are alright, but pretty underpowered in my experience compared to other elements. I'm only level 34 right now though with ele and primarily use scepter/dagger and staff for grouping. I augment my lack of power with the conjured weapons since I'm so weak.

Taffer

My thinking is that the Gems will actually drop in price up until around Wintersday....I personally am going to wait about a week and see where they settle. I'm thinking it'll be somewhere around 50s.

They seemed to explode in price once Halloween started, I'm hoping the price will drop some now. I may be waiting a while but I'll live without the extra bank space.

Deitus

I never really use Water element. Is there a use for it other than freeing conditions?

What weapon do you use? Water Staff has a very large AOE chill (with ice combo field), an AOE attack that gives 5 stacks of vulnerability with a very short cooldown, and two AOE heals. If you drop an AOE heal on one or more allies, and then do a blast finisher on the field, you can do a significant chunk of healing, even with 0 healing power. I use it all the time, just not for raw damage.

Dagger/Dagger has an autoattack that can apply up to two stacks of vulnerability per attack, and has longer range than any other dagger attack. Unfortunately, unless you spec for healing, Water attunement isn't that remarkable outside the 1 skill for Dagger/Dagger (and even if you do spec healing, Staff is better for that). But in boss fights where you can't afford to go into melee range, and/or need to stack vulnerability (and the enemy doesn't already have 5 stacks), water attunement is great, and the AOE chill and AOE Heal/Conditional removal can really help out in a pinch.

I don't generally use Scepter/Focus so I can't speak to that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey guys, can I install my retail version of GW2 on my girlfriends laptop to see if it runs?
There are no versions of GW2 or anything like that. you could even just download the client on her laptop. Everything is account-based, so have at it.

Levyne

Banned
Hey guys, can I install my retail version of GW2 on my girlfriends laptop to see if it runs?

If you have a log in, I think you should just be able to download the client to her computer and log into your account. Of course, if installing from the disk is easier, you can do that too.

Edit: Doubly beaten.

800 gems I believe.
600 gems. Bought 2 during event. :(((

About overall event:

Out of 50 BL chest and ~30 MK chest, all I got was the chainsaw sword.

Out of Mad King chest farming, I only got boosters. I didn't even get a BL key.

Out of the lab chest farms, all I got were 2 useless exotics and a MK SLIPPER. (same thing you get out of Clock Tower, except not souldbound)

Out of ~3k TrT bags, I didn't get an Endless Tonic, nor a Sup Sigil Moon.

So basically, I was EXTREMELY unlucky this event, and hope it picks up with Wintersday.
It's a bit annoying though.

Is there any point to keeping low-level crafted items (like armour)? Sell or salvage?

Not really. Maybe if you want to give them to alts, but they're dirt cheap on the TP anyway.

I generally just vendor them, although I think it becomes more worthwhile to salvage once you start moving up to higher level materials.

Jira

Well looks like they have content planned for Nov, Dec, and Jan and based on what Colin said every damn month. They want to give us as much content as an expansion for free. The first parts of the new update might be seen as early as today.

etiolate

Banned
My only worry is that the questions in the livestream about new spvp modes lead to Colin saying they want to get people playing the current mode. They need to admit that Cap Point isn't what people want and that it's causing problems for the sPVP side of things.

It could turn out that they allow a lot of customizing of the current maps with rented servers that would change the maps form being cap point based, but that's sort of letting the community fix the game for you. It also means that what people like won't be standard, and anything non-standard often struggles to grow and get new players.

Agkel

Do you guys think the game will go down in price soon? I'm considering getting it but I do have a huge backlog plus WoW, I'm not sure if I should just wait for a price drop if its coming soon.

Deitus

Do you guys think the game will go down in price soon? I'm considering getting it but I do have a huge backlog plus WoW, I'm not sure if I should just wait for a price drop if its coming soon.

I don't think the price will drop anytime soon. They don't have subscription fees, so they are relying primarily on boxed copy sales for revenue.

I've seen some deals in the buy/sell thread and I actually bought a key from someone in that thread for $37 around release day. You can try asking there.

I would say probably not, at least not until their first paid expansion. I think they reduced the price on the original GW when Factions came out, but it was so long ago I can't remember.

Agkel

Well I dont mind paying full price, I just dont want to purchase it and get burned by it getting a price drop 2 weeks from now. ALthough I DL the client already I prefer having the box with me. So if theres no expected price drop Ill probably head down to Wally and get a copy.

Well I dont mind paying full price, I just dont want to purchase it and get burned by it getting a price drop 2 weeks from now. ALthough I DL the client already I prefer having the box with me. So if theres no expected price drop Ill probably head down to Wally and get a copy.

Doubtful it'll drop, maybe $10 off or something around Christmas. Honestly though its worth the $60 you will pay for it. More content than most single player games that go for the same price, and they are about to release even more free content later this month. You won't regret picking it up at full price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom