• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah charr are so interesting.
Totally. Here's some nice Draconic armor mixed with a couple Level 80 Karma exotics.

gw003.jpg

Vossler

I made a Guardian, got up to level 35 last night and I'm not really feeling the class. I'll be making a Ranger for my final slot, and I have some good vibes.

I must say, I wish Anet would increase Lodestone/Core drop rate a tad. At least in dungeon chest.

What turned you off guardian? I have a level 19 right now, debating whether to continue or roll a thief.

Btw, Ranger is a great class. My main is an 80 ranger, and with the upcoming *hopeful* buff on the 15th, will become even better.

I think they should separate WvWvW map completion from the Map Completion achievement. Basically, it should be its own achievement that is not a part of the percentage completion. Its too subject to things out of the control of the player.

I think it's plenty doable even if your server isn't dominating every matchup, you just have to do it over the course of several weeks so your server gets put in all three starting positions.

usea

Anybody feel like sharing their dungeon build for Guardian? I'm not looking for a damage-heavy build, more interested in support. Right now I'm doing staff + mace/focus. My traits are heavy on shouts and healing. I'm only 60, so I have 30 in the toughness line (valor) and 20 in the vitality line (honor). I'll probably end up with 0/10/30/30/0.

What builds have you guys found to be fun or effective?

etiolate

Banned
I think it's plenty doable even if your server isn't dominating every matchup, you just have to do it over the course of several weeks so your server gets put in all three starting positions.

The only problem is that if you're on a losing server then your best chance to go your suggested route is to do so at the start of a match when territories haven't changed much yet, but the start of the weekly matches is also when you have the hardest time getting into WvWvW.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anybody feel like sharing their dungeon build for Guardian? I'm not looking for a damage-heavy build, more interested in support. Right now I'm doing staff + mace/focus. My traits are heavy on shouts and healing. I'm only 60, so I have 30 in the toughness line (valor) and 20 in the vitality line (honor). I'll probably end up with 0/10/30/30/0.

I wish I could help you here, but I play a high crit survivability build.

The one thing I CAN tell you, is that as a support Guardian, Altruistic Healing (Valor XI) is gold with a hammer. Your auto-attack grants a boon every 3rd strike, so you're doing your group proud with that.

Others have input I'm sure, but your build should likely revolve around that to some degree.

Heres the build I run for dungeons -

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en&code=3a70009c8n9g9imk100auu06r737a7k7l7oik

This plus the power/vit/toughness Hotw gear, 2 hander with power/prec/cit damage and the +5% crit rune (currently bugged and does not show on the character panel as adding + %), 6x superior rune of the soldier.

I rarely have to use my self heal and am able to stay up front on mobs nearly the entire battle. As long as all my party members are in close proximity, empower (staff #4 skill) + AH will bring me from below half health up to full, all while casting might and healing my entire party. It also puts out fairly decent dps, so you don't feel like a burden during dps races.

usea

Thanks, I appreciate the input. That's basically what I was going for with my build. I wonder what some other builds are like. nicoga3000, what does yours play like? Sounds neat.

Basically I just want to feel like I'm contributing a lot towards the success of a run.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks, I appreciate the input. That's basically what I was going for with my build. I wonder what some other builds are like. nicoga3000, what does yours play like? Sounds neat.

Basically I just want to feel like I'm contributing a lot towards the success of a run.

This is what I run.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fUEQNAW7dlYgKC3FSKEg4ERWhRa9ggG0fYPwYG/IA;TkAqaM1IqxWjrGZNLCGEs/A

I tried something very similar to what Disheveled_Zen runs, but it relied pretty heavily on my group not sucking. If they sucked, I wasn't NEARLY as useful in any sort of solo situation. But that could have been anything - gear, slightly different signets, etc.

Arksy

Upset I missed the Halloween event! Will have to get all the achievements next year. Definitely will not miss the lost shores event.

The only problem is that if you're on a losing server then your best chance to go your suggested route is to do so at the start of a match when territories haven't changed much yet, but the start of the weekly matches is also when you have the hardest time getting into WvWvW.

True, although the way matchmaking is done, servers should be winning about 1/3 of their matchups. Still, it can take a while. It's definitely one of the harder (or at least more time consuming) parts of world exploration.

Lesath

Is the GAF guild still open for invites? My RL friends seem to be pretty much finished with the game, so I don't see much of a point in continuing to represent the small guild we made.

Arcteryx

I found this sticky to be INSANELY helpful(not just for that particular build, but also everything Guardiany):
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...er-and-Altruistic-Healing-gameplay#post532390

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
There's nothing in the world right now that is relevant to the "surprise" save for the whales, right?

arimanius

Mesmer nerfs? For PvP I hope...
It should be Mesmer fixes first, then balancing.

Yea for PvP is what I meant. Playing my mesmer in PvE is just painful.

I would hope they would fix stuff first, but they haven't shown that to be the case from past patches.

I just hope for some Eng changes/fixes. I really want to like my Eng but it has a lot of little issues that add up to making the class feel meh IMO.

Arksy

I would hope they would fix stuff first, but they haven't shown that to be the case from past patches.

I just hope for some Eng changes/fixes. I really want to like my Eng but it has a lot of little issues that add up to making the class feel meh IMO.

Mesmers are broken in PvE, Engineers are meh, Rangers have no good utility or weapon skills. What classes are good? :(

Giard

There's nothing in the world right now that is relevant to the "surprise" save for the whales, right?
There are flyers on walls in Lion's Arch.

I really don't understand why they balance before fixing. Many of our traits don't work when you choose another trait, Phantamal Regeneration is good on all our phantasms except the duelist where it's amazing... why isn't it all the same???

Kingbrave

I've went a few days without seizures so I should be back on some. Don't know whether to start going for max stuff on the mighty Grank Kaar or level up my ele Dith Kaar. Or both!

I'm hungry and the only food is Asuran....

Does anyone have any Mesmer PvE builds? I've been running a Staff and Scepter/Sword build since Staff lets me get out two clones fast and has AoE (while Scepter/Sword gives me two blocking skills should I get focused). Even then my DPS is pretty low.

I'm level 39.

Just completed Kessex Hills with my Thief, what's another good 25-35/40 zone except for Gendarran Fields?(which i already completed with my other char.)

pyrandes

Does anyone have any Mesmer PvE builds? I've been running a Staff and Scepter/Sword build since Staff lets me get out two clones fast and has AoE (while Scepter/Sword gives me two blocking skills should I get focused). Even then my DPS is pretty low.

I'm level 39.

Sounds decent, but definitely a low burst build (but very defensive, which can be good).

Id look at GS if you want some burst (spec to get that mirror blade down and youll have two clones out almost as fast as a staff). Possibly switch up your offhand too (duelist from the pistol is still pretty good, warden also is very good aoe-wise). Sword mainhand will get you a bit more dps too (and you can pair it with a 2nd sword to get at least one of your defensive cds back), but may feel conflicting with GS due to range reqs (gs does more damage the further away you are).

If you're looking for conditional dps, keep staff and sceptre, and put in a pistol; spec to 15 duelist and youll be ticking down mobs with bleeds in no time (and contribute to the iwarlock's damage).

Id mainly stay away from torch skills.

Iresecia

Neo Member
lol i saw the intro video they released to today and one of the quotes they said irks me "once you get to level 50 thats really when the game opens up" really wtf why? so already the devs are saying that most of the content reaching to 50 is kinda poop or boring.

http://youtu.be/UtOJ-GwZQ_0

I dunno if I'm biased or not but it really looks boring. I've never been an mmo person though. GW2 is the first mmo I've bought and hit end game in. I'm not a patient person so I guess GW2 was the perfect game for me to do that in. And the level scaling was really what sold me cause in the past I've been a slow leveler and have hated being left behind by the group.

And why level 50? I realize not many games just let you hop in and experience much of what they have to offer, but getting to 50 to get to the "good stuff" is kinda discouraging in my opinion. It's like when FF13 came out and my friend kept saying oh you gotta get to the good part first. Once I got there I was still disappointed. I guess that's kind of an mmo standard though. Dangle the good stuff juuuust out of reach so you'll keep going. Oh and paying the monthly sub of course.

KuroNeeko

Sounds decent, but definitely a low burst build (but very defensive, which can be good).

Id look at GS if you want some burst (spec to get that mirror blade down and youll have two clones out almost as fast as a staff). Possibly switch up your offhand too (duelist from the pistol is still pretty good, warden also is very good aoe-wise). Sword mainhand will get you a bit more dps too (and you can pair it with a 2nd sword to get at least one of your defensive cds back), but may feel conflicting with GS due to range reqs (gs does more damage the further away you are).

If you're looking for conditional dps, keep staff and sceptre, and put in a pistol; spec to 15 duelist and youll be ticking down mobs with bleeds in no time (and contribute to the iwarlock's damage).

Id mainly stay away from torch skills.

Torch works well if you're playing a heavy conditional damage or clone / phantasm build because it gives you an extra Finisher with the Prestige. Combined with Null Field, Feedback, and Chaos Storm you're looking at three different combinations to keep you AND your clones / phantasms armored with Chaos Armor - meaning more consistent damage and debuffs on the enemy. The Prestige also applies blindness (longer clone longetivity) and burning for more damage. Torch is awesome!

The sad truth is that Phantoms / Clones are a key component to the Mesmer class. You're either relying on them to do damage directly - or shattering them. If the former, then it's probably in your best interest to keep them alive as long as you can.

If you're looking for straight up DEEPS, then high Power / Precision gear, Greatsword, and mainhand Sword are where you want to be. Since you're level 39, I'd look at Metal Torment in the Domination line, Phantasmal Fury or Blade Training in the Dueling line, Precise Wrack or Compounding Power in the Illusions line.

When you hit the second tier traits, you'll need to find a theme to base your build on like harder, faster shatters; more damage through Greatsword; phantoms etc.

I've felt your pain and lamented my Mesmer DPS, but I'm more of a control player. You'll have to pry my Staff out of my cold, lifeless fingers.

etiolate

Banned
One thing worth saying about going condition spec with a Mesmer is that iWarlock actually performs worse with stat stacking towards condition damage than it does going straight up Power. It's better to just rely on the collective conditions of a group and go power with some condition damage, and trait for Phantasm damage to get those 8k Warlock crits.

Of course, I don't really like how Mesmer performs condition damage wise anyways, so I may be biased.

I would like torch a lot better if the phantasm was correctly benefiting from the Phantasm traits, but it currently doesn't gain anything from Phantasmal Haste or the Phantasm reduction trait as well (I believe). I also wish you could trigger the second part of Prestige and not wait for it to trigger. Have it be a second-click option, so you had more control over the finisher. The interesting thing about Phantasmal Mage is the bounce-logic of its attacks. The Mage targets its target, but the bounce of the attack follows a path towards you. So it is highly more effective when the Mage is at one side of a group of enemies and you are on the other side of the group of enemies. The Mage's attack will bounce along any enemy between it and its target, and then any enemy from its target to you. I've seen the confusion bounce four or five times. It will also hit allies behind you or along the way. Yet if you and the Mage are on the same side of a group of enemies, it will bounce once towards its target and then bounce back to you and finish its route, often ignoring nearby allies and foes adjacent to its target as well. So iMage goes from shitty to awesome based on where it pops up and where enemies are and where you are.

KuroNeeko

Just took my Norn Mesmer, Milele, into Ascalon Catacombs for my first dungeon experience in Guild Wars 2. I was a bit nervous after reading all the hate that AsCat gets and unsure how the whole thing would play out after coming from WoW.

Ended up having a great time! The hardest part was definitely
the Lovers but we managed to keep them split most of the time and just wore down the girl.
The boss at the end was pretty nasty as well.

I was worried about how Mesmer would play in a group setting, so I started with Staff and Sword / Torch before switching to Staff and Scepter / Torch. Utility skills were Blink → Mantra of Recovery, Feeback, Null Field. On bosses I switched to Staff and Scepter / Pistol.

NULL FIELD IS AMAZING. Seriously. seriously. damn! Torch→The Prestige was used to give Chaos Armor to the group. I used Scepter to attack from range and blind bosses. Confusion stacks added a bit of crappy damage. Pistol offered Phantasmal Duelist and Magic Shot for combo fields. Staff is well, staff and therefore awesome. Even Feedback got play against Rangers and I could still spam it just for the combo field.

Wish I could have brought an Elite to the party, but even without it I felt like I was contributing.

Overall, a very positive experience for my Mesmer. Now I'm really torn between continuing to level up my now low-mid 20ish Necro, my baby Elementalist, or my "main" Mesmer who is at 35. Elementalist just looks like the ultimate support class and Necro has been growing on me as well.

I'll probably try to run Explorable a few times so if you want to dust your boots off and head back into the Cats so I can get more cool looking gear with crappy stats then LET'S AsCat!

One thing worth saying about going condition spec with a Mesmer is that iWarlock actually performs worse with stat stacking towards condition damage than it does going straight up Power. It's better to just rely on the collective conditions of a group and go power with some condition damage, and trait for Phantasm damage to get those 8k Warlock crits.

Oh yeah, tell me about it. I was banging my head trying to come up with a condition spec, but I just don't see any real consistent sources of damage that aren't extremely situational. Add the fact that your ConDam stats don't affect your clones and man, I just don't see it working for the Mesmer.

I would like torch a lot better if the phantasm was correctly benefiting from the Phantasm traits, but it currently doesn't gain anything from Phantasmal Haste or the Phantasm reduction trait as well (I believe). I also wish you could trigger the second part of Prestige and not wait for it to trigger. Have it be a second-click option, so you had more control over the finisher.

Yeah, it took me awhile to get used to that. I agree that being able to trigger it at will (like Scepter 2 or Off-hand Sword 4) would make it a lot stronger.

iMage awesomeness

Wow! WOW! I've got to try this out. Simply awesome if true. The group Elementalist was getting on my case about me being too hard to heal because I kept running around everywhere but I was using the Mage primarily for the Retribution. This is pretty huge! Thanks!

Lyng

Yeah,
his vortex kept sucking in me and my illusions while I tried to range him. He does a decent amount of damage and I went down two or three times.

Ah I see
Hiding behind the pillars seemed to help alot. If I remeber correct he has a certain line he says everytime before doing that pull.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
just saw this on forum

According to Jon Peters in the mists a few hours ago:
- The profession part of the upcoming patch notes is roughly 5 pages long.
- ~16 bullet points for rangers.
- ~30 bullet points for engis.
- Mesmers saw the fewest number of changes.
- “Tons” of bug fixes.
- “Some” balance changes.
- Portal is a cool ability that’s important to the game but has some problems (whatever that means from their perspective idk).
- The ability to use custom dyes in pvp is possibly coming in a December patch.
- Broken treb and lord announcements should be fixed soon.
- Target of target and player cast bars are low priority but something they might look at in the future.
- Probably no hope of ever letting us disable the terrible skill queue.
- Custom rankings, obs mode, etc. all “on the way” (as usual).

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...-of-priorities-is-mandatory/page/4#post674835

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom