• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
The most annoying thing about the game is that it can't remember my default chat option.

Example: I have a map chat tab, party chat-only tab and guild chat-only tab. When clicking the guild chat tab I prefer to type straight into guild...but whenever relogging the game sets every to /say. I hate it.

Ricker

Did the patch fix the awful My Story Mouth of Zaithan quest/battle ?...this game is so good that when you get to missions like this you wonder if it's the same people who made them...terrible.

KuroNeeko

Here's hoping they gave Necromancers some love. They don't necessarily need to be buffed, but they need to at least fix their skills.

Lulubop

So how does gaf feel about the Ranger profession? Any notable flaws, weakness and issues(high level PvE). I run a lot if dungeons with fellow gafers, but I notice a lack of Rangers. Maybe the class isn't popular within the guild, or maybe other classes are just more viable.

That said I created a Ranger a few days ago, and I'm really enjoying. I'd like to ask what are the popular weapon combitions, traits, point allocations and utility skills. I'm currently going longbow and gs, but I do like Axe and Warhorn and Shortbow.

Although I have two level 80 character and a level 40, I'm still looking for one I really enjoy.

markot

Banned
I think Turrets should be moveable without incurring cooldown.

I think necros and engineers need the most lovin.

Alsooooooooooooooooooo... Mesmers need help while leveling, they seem to do more poorly then other classes for awhile.

Honestly, I think they should just copy the engineers of tf2 more >.> flame thrower should be more powerful, longer burn durations, and maybe an axe that does more damage when you hit burning targets..... also turrets if stationary should be 'upgradeable' to do more damage for longer fights.

Also healing turret should do more.

etiolate

Banned
I just started messing with Tool Kit on Engineer and my does it hit hard compared to other Engy abilities. I don't see it used much by others though.

Wallach

So how does gaf feel about the Ranger profession? Any notable flaws, weakness and issues(high level PvE). I run a lot if dungeons with fellow gafers, but I notice a lack of Rangers. Maybe the class isn't popular within the guild, or maybe other classes are just more viable.

That said I created a Ranger a few days ago, and I'm really enjoying. I'd like to ask what are the popular weapon combitions, traits, point allocations and utility skills. I'm currently going longbow and gs, but I do like Axe and Warhorn and Shortbow.

Although I have two level 80 character and a level 40, I'm still looking for one I really enjoy.

They're generally considered not very useful of a class when it comes to dungeons and group synergy, but that is also likely to be a big target of the 15th patch for them (along with a focus on pet functionality and fixes) so I think it's a good time to roll one if you're interested. They're solid in PvP and maybe the best when it comes to solo PvE overworld stuff. Some of the better weapon sets in the game in my opinion. I will probably make one at some point again as I liked playing GS/Longbow myself but the pets were too broken at the time and I already dedicate little time to my alts so I passed on it for the Necromancer (which also turned out to be kind of a clunker).

Ashodin

They're generally considered not very useful of a class when it comes to dungeons and group synergy, but that is also likely to be a big target of the 15th patch for them (along with a focus on pet functionality and fixes) so I think it's a good time to roll one if you're interested. They're solid in PvP and maybe the best when it comes to solo PvE overworld stuff. Some of the better weapon sets in the game in my opinion. I will probably make one at some point again as I liked playing GS/Longbow myself but the pets were too broken at the time and I already dedicate little time to my alts so I passed on it for the Necromancer (which also turned out to be kind of a clunker).
Should be interesting to see necro changes in this patch!

leng jai

And hopefully most of those changes are making us better for PvE. I know they are probably not, but I can hope.

At level 80 Mesmers are fantastic for PvE actually. Almost impossible to die if you know what you're unless you pull 10 mobs at once. The main problem is tagging during Zergs which is and will probably always be woeful.

markot

Banned
They need to make the enemy zergs be more powerful, fewer more powerful enemies would be better for events with lots of people.

Ashodin

They need to make the enemy zergs be more powerful, fewer more powerful enemies would be better for events with lots of people.
Actually with the Shadow of the Mad King patch, they made Orr enemy zergs gather in strength every time they are completed. So the more an event gets completed, the more the AI pushes back until they eventually win. It's why you see temples frequently untaken rather than taken now.

Anyone recommend any good GW2 youtube channels? I'm interested in seeing how people play it at higher levels (both of skill and character).

Well, the popular ones are Dontain (farming, legendary weapons, Warrior builds, general news) and WoodenPotatoes (Lore buff, daily show, debater, elementalist build, jumping puzzles).

jersoc

oh hey, so apparently they're doing something about legendaries becoming almost impossible to get now. they really need another method to get percursors outside of stupid luck. because that's not gameplay, that's lazy game design.

KuroNeeko

Mesmers. Everyone always goes off about how hard they are to level. Once you realize that phantasms are an integral part to doing damage (at least until you start unlocking Utility skills) you'll adapt and start doing more damage. Sure there is some ramp up time as you struggle to get all your clones / illusions out, but the flip side is that you almost never die unless you royally mess up somewhere. Decoy, Blink, The Prestige, the Focus 4 Veil - there are just so many ways to escape a situation once it goes bad.

oh hey, so apparently they're doing something about legendaries becoming almost impossible to get now. they really need another method to get percursors outside of stupid luck. because that's not gameplay, that's lazy game design.

What I read is that they're considering the possibility that precursors are becoming too expensive to buy on the TP.

Also, not to single you out or anything, but it really bugs me when people say something is just "lazy game design." Are you a professional game designer? Can you tell me that you're 100% familiar with how the system is set up and why it has been set up that way? Can you offer another solution that maintains the designer's vision of the game? If so, you can always post your master plan on the official forums. Maybe you're supposed to endlessly beseech a fickle god for his blessing before you can get access to a legendary weapon. Can you say that is not the case?

Just because game design these days is more transparent, doesn't make you (again, not singling you out) qualified to talk about whether or not it's lazy. If you ARE an aspiring / pro game designer - then offer up a better solution and hope it gets adopted in game.

Retro

so....wat are the chances i can get into the GAF guild??

Whisper one of the officers in the OP for an invite, I'm fairly certain we still have room. There's also a culling scheduled for the 16th, so there should definitely be some room after that.

Boogdud

Wasn't expecting that many eng changes but after playing one up to level 35 they definitely need some major love.

I'm actually happy that mesmers aren't getting that many changes. I was expecting some nerfs and really they only need some help pve wise.

Did I miss something? EDIT: nevermind, they split the thread. Sorry.

So any whispers about what these "30 (insert vague word)" contain yet?

Culling is via account or character? I never play a couple of my characters...

Edit: NM, seems guild is just an account thing, so my shelved characters have no worries.

My gripe is that I can't create a Mesmer, Necro, or Engineer since I'm out of character slots. =|

Just unlocked my Thief Elite skill (lvl 30) :

So i picked "Thieves Guild" hmm pretty neat having two adds fighting at your side but the lifespan of them is like REALLY short :( pretty sure even the Elementalist's elemental summon lasts longer than this...

Retro

Culling is via account or character? I never play a couple of my characters...

Edit: NM, seems guild is just an account thing, so my shelved characters have no worries.

My gripe is that I can't create a Mesmer, Necro, or Engineer since I'm out of character slots. =|

Yeah, it's account-bound so all of your characters are automatically in the guild. That we had 500 accounts, culled a bunch of inactives, and are creeping back up to 500 is pretty cool. That said, we usually have about 40-60 active players daily.

And buy more character slots. Ask for Gem Cards for Christmas.

So only an hour and a few more minutes huh?

Hmm? The Lost Shores stuff starts next weekend.

So i picked "Thieves Guild" hmm pretty neat having two adds fighting at your side but the lifespan of them is like REALLY short :( pretty sure even the Elementalist's elemental summon lasts longer than this...

Thieves guild is massive burst while elementals are a bit more restrained.

Thieves Guild is great. Max number of thieves you can have at one time is 5, but that's really tricky to pull off.

More common is 3, less common is 4.

The dual dagger Thief can scorpion wire enemies potentially saving you from death.

The dual pistol Thief will unload on enemies as as well using the fifth pistol skill that creates a a ring of blind smoke, pretty much neutering anyone who is inside for a short time.

mingus

I know for a fact the easiest one to pull off is the trick skill which will summon a thief when the trap is triggered. Then you can pop
Thieves guild. I can't recall which other skills spawn thieves beyond that.

Hm I guess to go beyond three it seems like you need the appropriate traits, it looks like the relevant ones are Merciful Ambush (ambush trap when you start reviving someone), Improvisation (stealing refreshes all skills of one type), and I guess Master Trapper (20% faster trap cooldown)?

Hm I guess to go beyond three it seems like you need the appropriate traits, it looks like the relevant ones are Merciful Ambush (ambush trap when you start reviving someone), Improvisation (stealing refreshes all skills of one type), and I guess Master Trapper (20% faster trap cooldown)?

Well with the steal refresh it would be 6.

2 from Elite

1 from trap,

another one from trap assuming you wait till cooldown is over when someone triggers it so you can immediately plant another.

1 from merciful ambush.

1 from steal refresh.

Highly situational. Would be very lucky to actually get this in a real pvp match.

Retro

jump438kce.jpg
Not everyone stuck around for the group shot, but we got quite a few people in there. Kos also had some great shots, over at GafGuild.com

pyrandes

dang. theres a lack of Charr in that picture :/ I had to take care of personal business at the end when I saw everyone was done, sorry I missed out.

jersoc

Mesmers. Everyone always goes off about how hard they are to level. Once you realize that phantasms are an integral part to doing damage (at least until you start unlocking Utility skills) you'll adapt and start doing more damage. Sure there is some ramp up time as you struggle to get all your clones / illusions out, but the flip side is that you almost never die unless you royally mess up somewhere. Decoy, Blink, The Prestige, the Focus 4 Veil - there are just so many ways to escape a situation once it goes bad.

What I read is that they're considering the possibility that precursors are becoming too expensive to buy on the TP.

Also, not to single you out or anything, but it really bugs me when people say something is just "lazy game design." Are you a professional game designer? Can you tell me that you're 100% familiar with how the system is set up and why it has been set up that way? Can you offer another solution that maintains the designer's vision of the game? If so, you can always post your master plan on the official forums. Maybe you're supposed to endlessly beseech a fickle god for his blessing before you can get access to a legendary weapon. Can you say that is not the case?

Just because game design these days is more transparent, doesn't make you (again, not singling you out) qualified to talk about whether or not it's lazy. If you ARE an aspiring / pro game designer - then offer up a better solution and hope it gets adopted in game.

the fact that you don't know something and thus you can't judge is a fallacy. I'm not a movie director, but I can say transformer sucks. I'm not a writer, but I can see game of thrones is a fairly well written series. I'm not a game programmer, but I can say obsidian games are full of bugs that makes them pretty much unplayable for months.

So no, I'm not a game designer, but I've been playing games for over 20 years. Yes, pure luck base stuff is lazy for an MMO. Especially since getting a legendary is pretty much end game right now.

So you'll excuse me if I don't take your fallacy seriously.

What would I do? Well they have a token system in place. Take tokens to MF make something. That something combines with something else and so on. Then you get a purcusor. Still takes time, still takes money. Removes the bullshit RNG with less than 1%(probably less than .01%) from a chest or drop.

So yes, lazy game design.

Ashodin

So tomorrow I'm going to probably create a hype thread for The Lost Shores, seeing as it will be this upcoming weekend. Thursday is the patch, and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday is the event opening the new content.

Arksy

Do we know how much new content we are getting? Limited edition short term dungeons and content suck if you miss them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom