• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

nataku

Apparently the Arah gate event is bugged on our server and several other servers. I really wish they wouldn't have linked events to dungeon entrances, considering how many events are still breaking in this game. Neat idea in concept, but horrible when they're so bugged and it takes them so long to fix it.

I'll never finish my personal story at this rate. Every time I've logged on the past two weeks the gates have been lost and either people are too stupid to understand the event when it was working, no one is trying to get the gates back, or it's bugged.

Lulubop

They're generally considered not very useful of a class when it comes to dungeons and group synergy, but that is also likely to be a big target of the 15th patch for them (along with a focus on pet functionality and fixes) so I think it's a good time to roll one if you're interested. They're solid in PvP and maybe the best when it comes to solo PvE overworld stuff. Some of the better weapon sets in the game in my opinion. I will probably make one at some point again as I liked playing GS/Longbow myself but the pets were too broken at the time and I already dedicate little time to my alts so I passed on it for the Necromancer (which also turned out to be kind of a clunker).

So I'm now level 37 with my Ranger, and I've just finished my first Dungeon run and I think this is the class I been looking for. The only thing lacking I feel is crowd control, though I still have a ways to go with the class. I tried the class a bit during beta, and the Pet mechanic was really flawed but it seems much improved now and it's nice they're even tuning it further. I agree with the weapons set, though I've shifted from GS/Long Bow to Short Bow and Axe/Warhorn. All 4 sets I feel are viable, and more importantly fun.

KuroNeeko

So I'm now level 37 with my Ranger, and I've just finished my first Dungeon run and I think this is the class I been looking for. The only thing lacking I feel is crowd control, though I still have a ways to go with the class. I tried the class a bit during beta, and the Pet mechanic was really flawed but it seems much improved now and it's nice they're even tuning it further. I agree with the weapons set, though I've shifted from GS/Long Bow to Short Bow and Axe/Warhorn. All 4 sets I feel are viable, and more importantly fun.

How active (complex?) is the class? Like, to give you an idea of what I mean I have a Necro and an Engineer. The Necro is a pretty low activity class after the first few seconds, I'm almost on auto-attack waiting for cooldowns to end. The Engineer on the other hand is constantly switching between Flame Thrower, Elixir Gun, Shotgun, and Lay Mine.

How much are you interacting with your pet and is it necessary to do well with the class?

Lulubop

How active (complex?) is the class? Like, to give you an idea of what I mean I have a Necro and an Engineer. The Necro is a pretty low activity class after the first few seconds, I'm almost on auto-attack waiting for cooldowns to end. The Engineer on the other hand is constantly switching between Flame Thrower, Elixir Gun, Shotgun, and Lay Mine.

How much are you interacting with your pet and is it necessary to do well with the class?

Pet management is certainly important, but not on the level of eng or even ele attunements. I feel as if Rangers maybe more inclined to swap weapons more than other classes do to the wide array of weapon skills, from there specific properties to there ranges but that may just be me. Also a lot of weapon skills work in conjunction with pets, so that's something else to keep in mind.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Apparently the Arah gate event is bugged on our server and several other servers. I really wish they wouldn't have linked events to dungeon entrances, considering how many events are still breaking in this game. Neat idea in concept, but horrible when they're so bugged and it takes them so long to fix it.

I'll never finish my personal story at this rate. Every time I've logged on the past two weeks the gates have been lost and either people are too stupid to understand the event when it was working, no one is trying to get the gates back, or it's bugged.
I'm sorry you haven't been able to get in, that is some really bad luck. I've seen Arah open and closed each about half the time I've been in CS over the last couple of weeks. I wonder how long it's been bugged for? Definitely saw it open at some point in the last two or three days.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I hit 74 with my Guardian last night. It's funny...With my Necro, I had been to nearly every zone, completed at least three of them, and been involved in all the dragon fights prior to getting ready for Orr.

Now, I've been to less than half the zones and am already getting ready to head that direction. Experience is funky man.

That being said, if anyone's interested, I definitely want to start running some dungeons outside of AC, but I haven't ever seen them. I want to find a group to help teach me the dungeons at some point.

lol i saw the intro video they released to today and one of the quotes they said irks me "once you get to level 50 thats really when the game opens up" really wtf why? so already the devs are saying that most of the content reaching to 50 is kinda poop or boring.

http://youtu.be/UtOJ-GwZQ_0

The problem is that Elder Scrolls videos always look visually amazing, and then I get the game and find that I'm bored in a world I don't care about that's very pretty but almost completely devoid of life with a combat system I loathe. I almost managed to get into Skyrim, but then I ran across some game-breaking bugs and couldn't summon the enthusiasm to jump back to before the game got messed up and continue from there.

I like the PvP preview though: In our game, do what you can do in GuildWars 2 already!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ascended armor, eh? This is me reserving judgment. I can't understand why they'd raise max armor this suddenly, but I also have a good deal of faith in them and would find it hard to believe that the armor sets I've spent so much time assembling would be obsolete. I'll have to see how this plays out and what infusion gets you.

This, on the other hand:
The Fractals of the Mists is made up of nine mini-dungeons, each with its own story and environment. A party of five will enter the dungeon and be faced with a random set of three of these dungeons at a time. Upon completing those three, the party will be transported to a hub to rest, repair, and merch -- and the difficulty scale for the dungeon will be raised. Every time the difficulty scale is at an even number, players will face a special boss encounter.
That sounds right up my alley I really gotta say.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ascended armor, eh? This is me reserving judgment. I can't understand why they'd raise max armor this suddenly, but I also have a good deal of faith in them and would find it hard to believe that the armor sets I've spent so much time assembling would be obsolete. I'll have to see how this plays out and what infusion gets you.

This, on the other hand:

That sounds right up my alley I really gotta say.

That Fractals of the Mist stuff sounds siiiick. ANet seems to be setting themselves up to kill it with another awesome event!

Looking forward to this weekend with you guys. Gotta hit 80 tonight/tomorrow and then get started with prepping!

Question...Does using a double XP item work for XP rewards from dungeons?

Yeah I just read through this. Not really sure how excited I am that exotic armor is being superceded already. I guess we'll see how it pans out. On the plus side I bet me and Ashodin are gonna make some coin from that change. In that regard the timing could hardly be better.

At this point I wish they'd just put up a patch notes preview.

Yeah this sucks, WTF were they thinking? gonna be funny to see the end game elitist cunts kick you from a party because you don't have ascended armor....all because you don't have an extra 17 power, 12 precision, and 5% crit

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah this sucks, WTF were they thinking? gonna be funny to see the end game elitist cunts kick you from a party because you don't have ascended armor....all because you don't have an extra 17 power, 12 precision, and 5% crit

But nobody can really tell what your gear stats are, so....

Wallach

Well, it's more likely I think that the only benefit the armor will provide will be against certain mobs. I think that's why they introduced the same infusion system into GW1; I'm not particularly afraid of it being real gear creep. It just seems too early to me, somehow. There surely can't be much content in this patch to employ it against.

zulfate

The problem is that Elder Scrolls videos always look visually amazing, and then I get the game and find that I'm bored in a world I don't care about that's very pretty but almost completely devoid of life with a combat system I loathe. I almost managed to get into Skyrim, but then I ran across some game-breaking bugs and couldn't summon the enthusiasm to jump back to before the game got messed up and continue from there.

I like the PvP preview though: In our game, do what you can do in GuildWars 2 already!

That is exactly how i feel for all the elder scrolls games....only bethesda game that i loved was fallout 3.

I feel bad i havent really been playing gw2 im bored of it yet i miss it....my problem is dont know what class to play :/ and i keep replaying the 1-15 level zones im so fucking tired of it! Lol but i know it is my own fault.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Well i am going on looks, if they look like current dungeon armors then no one will know, but this is Anet they will make sure that people know you are wearing ascended armor...

True. I didn't realize people honestly pulled that shit in GW2. From everything I've read, food buffs are what make the real difference in the harder dungeons.

True. I didn't realize people honestly pulled that shit in GW2. From everything I've read, food buffs are what make the real difference in the harder dungeons.

All sorts of shit happen, some groups will kick you out just before the last boss because they felt like you died too much, or didn't do a lot, 2 weeks ago(last time I was in Orr because of Power being out) I joined a Arah group, I was wearing Magic find gear and one of the elitist cunts said kick him he's in rare gear, since I got my power back on Saturday I haven't gone to Orr...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
All sorts of shit happen, some groups will kick you out just before the last boss because they felt like you died too much, or didn't do a lot, 2 weeks ago(last time I was in Orr because of Power being out) I joined a Arah group, I was wearing Magic find gear and one of the elitist cunts said kick him he's in rare gear, since I got my power back on Saturday I haven't gone to Orr...

Bah to that shit.

That's why I run with guildies only because fuck that.

etiolate

Banned

Well since you can finish exp modes with exotics, I don't know why any nut would demand ascended armor.

I am curious to see if the increased stats carry over into WvWvW.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Better stats?! Seems they have found a way to appeal to people who have found armor skins they like and have no reason to hunt for anything else.

I'm going to reserve my judgement until more information is given. If it's a start of a straight up gear treadmill, then they deserve all the rage they're receiving right now.

I'm lucky I haven't seen gear checks personally though I have heard that a few ask you to link your gear. The only requisite for pug dungeon nowadays is to be level 80 even if it's something easy like AC (and even the Mad King's dungeon). But fuck those people, I completed Arah with a full yellow MF set and I didn't have any problems that would have been solved with better gear. And I dropped my MF set because I don't really farm anymore (and I have hundreds of gold with nothing to spend on =P)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You will ALWAYS have those people in an MMO. Hopefully though, it's been made clear how important skill vs gear is as to prevent the majority of players booting for gear related shit. Yes, I agree that you need to have gear that's appropriate for your class/level, but just because someone isn't in exotics+ shouldn't mean they get the boot.

ANet will have to tread lightly here.

Retro

All good reasons why a GAF Group is far superior to a PUG Group.

So it says "Once the event is over, we'll still have access to oodles of stuff, like the new dungeon, zone, and PvP map.", but it doesn't mention anything about a zone after that

Are they really adding a new area?

The Lost Shores is the new zone they're adding, and will remain in-game permanently. However, during the event all players will be auto-leveled to 80 (just like WvW/sPVP) so everyone can experience the event. When the event ends though, that will be removed and it will be considered max level content. Really slick of them to make sure everyone gets to partake of the event.

Ascended Armor

I'll wait and see what it actually is before I rush to conclusions on this.

From the sound of things, it's not that radical of a change ("Slightly more powerful than exotics") and gives people something new to hunt down. Chances are if you have full exotics, you've run out of everything but Legendaries to get, so this is a good thing. It does seem a little soon though, I will agree with that.

I do wonder if maybe "Ascended" means "the armor you have now is magically upgraded", so it may not, in fact, be a gear hunt but sort of like... armor enchantment. Dunno, we'll see. This doesn't sound like a leak so I don't think ANet will be in any rush to push the patch notes out to try and 'save face'. Like all things that leak or are partially explained by previews, people flip their shit and then find out what is actually going on and calm down.

GLopez12

Neo Member
The armor's upgraded stats might only work in the new dungeon, which would be okay. But if it works everywhere else, I'm done. This is ArenaNet outright lying, according to their own golden rules. They specifically said no vertical progression ever, yet they're adding a new tier of gear within three months of release. Unbelievable.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The armor's upgraded stats might only work in the new dungeon, which would be okay. But if it works everywhere else, I'm done. This is ArenaNet outright lying, according to their own golden rules. They specifically said no vertical progression ever, yet they're adding a new tier of gear within three months of release. Unbelievable.

So what would you call the difference between Mastercraft, Rare, Exotic, and Legendary gear?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah definitely reserve judgment on the armor stuff. Throwaway lines in these two articles don't at all give you any idea what it means for gameplay and I'm definitely going to wait and see how it's implemented before I get angry.

Hell, I guess I really won't even be angry if they're just adding either a new easily obtainable tier for armor or a crazily difficult to obtain tier for armor along the lines of legendaries. It would just be adding any sort of treadmill that I would loathe (and I am not kidding, mark my words, that sort of thing being added would get me to stop playing).

I liked the quest to infuse armor in GW1 a lot actually, so if it's anything like that I'll be damn happy. We really don't know anything yet though, for now I shall Keep Calm and Trust ArenaNet.

I do like this, though:
Visually, the Karka will feature a heavily armored shell of sorts that players will have to penetrate. ArenaNet has even worked on a new shader technology that allows players to actually see pieces of the armor fall off of the Karka as they wear it down.
Unf, graphic updates
While you are right on about their philosophy and it is one of the things I absolutely love most about this game,
1) That article about the golden rules really doesn't address it
2) You seem to be sort of getting angry or jumping to conclusions prematurely; let's just see how it goes

Retro

Where in that article do they mention or even allude to "no vertical progression"? I mean, I'm against loot treadmills as much (if not more) than anyone here, but I'm just not seeing it. Especially since we don't have all of the details yet.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Where in that article do they mention or even allude to "no vertical progression"? I mean, I'm against loot treadmills as much (if not more) than anyone here, but I'm just not seeing it. Especially since we don't have all of the details yet.
It isn't in that article, I think maybe he linked it thinking it was something else, because they have addressed it.

To clarify, the concept we are all talking about here is that ArenaNet has long said that it should not take long to get "maxed"-stat gear, and that playing for statistically better gear will not be a significant part of the late game. To this end, they had succeeded masterfully.

This is in stark contrast to the "loot treadmill" style of progression as in Diablo or Borderlands, when finding randomly-generated stastically different loot is part of the motivation to continue. This can be very fun and addictive, it just isn't a piece of the puzzle in this game.

This is not the same concept as just vertical progression, meaning you get better gear as you play, which does exist in GW2 of course- there's just a ceiling that is quickly reached and within the grasp of the average player quite easily.

th3dude

I don't see what the fuss is about.

Legendary are still Legendary and the highest tier. What's wrong with adding more, smaller steps along the way, especially for those of us that may not have the time or resources to grind legendaries?

Legendary weapons don't actually have better stats though right?

Nope. Legendaries are just very fancy exotics and are more of a status symbol if anything.

ANet guy responds,
https://twitter.com/mkerstein/status/268039519671033856

Best response,
Martin Kerstein @mkerstein
And before you all get a heart attack or an aneurysm - there will be a blog post later today about the whole thing.

Tanek @tanek_09
@mkerstein Always release a tiny bit of unexplained info, wait for internet explosion, then release details. Once more you deliver, ANet.

Martin Kerstein @mkerstein
@tanek_09 touche

Retro

ArenaNet has updated their page for the Lost Shores event.
Very nice looking and lots of new info, including a trailer and a few other tidbits;

- Free Trial Weekend November 15-18.
- New items in the Gem Store: "Unique minis and brand-new weapon skins"
- Some of the new Fractal dungeon drops: "new weapon sets, a back-slot item, new Ascended loot, and much more!"
- New Wallpaper
- Trailer has a first look at the Karka in action:

5ZcyL.jpg

ZIA3M.jpg

RLcNa.jpg

(Last one, it jumps up right through the boat, so they're pretty big).

Also a brief mention of Ascended Gear and Infusions, but nothing new;
Introducing Ascended items, artifacts of great power that can be improved by a special new type of upgrade called Infusions, which can be found in dungeons. Look for more information about Ascended gear soon!
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/november-2012/

I like my Ele (Nice Hair Bro). Hawkian was right when he recommended it based on my want to play something that is constantly active. I'm still only 15, but jumping back and forth from stances is boss.

My question is about WvW: How do I level here? I need some friends or something, because it seems totally useless solo (and I have to play on a different server than you guys because yours was full when I signed up) and completely disorganized with what is actually going on. Any tips on solo objectives? I liked WoW in Alterac Valley how soloers could go and kill rams to gather supplies. Anything like that here?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Legendary weapons don't actually have better stats though right?
As far as I know legendaries do have very very slightly (basically token and negligible) higher stats than an 80 exotic.

For WvW:

-Literally solo, your best ways to contribute would be to interrupt supply runs (little Dolyak icon) or capture control points (flag icon)
-With a small group, 3-5, you can capture supply camps
-Look on your map for the blueish commander icons; head toward one of those and you're likely to find a zerg for your world. Then you won't be solo and can capture larger objectives

Retro

My question is about WvW: How do I level here? I need some friends or something, because it seems totally useless solo (and I have to play on a different server than you guys because yours was full when I signed up) and completely disorganized with what is actually going on. Any tips on solo objectives? I liked WoW in Alterac Valley how soloers could go and kill rams to gather supplies. Anything like that here?

Try not to run solo in WvW, honestly. Grab a group of 4 other people and take Supply camps, guerrilla-style. It disrupts the enemy's supply chain and if you're fast and unpredictable, you become an aggravation that draws men from the front line. You also always have (freshly taken) Supply on you, so when you zip back up to the front line, you can just dump 50 of it on siege equipment without drawing it from stuff you already control and without feeling like you're wasting it.

Supply Camp raids supply a lot of... erm... supply to the front line. Very useful and very fun as long as you don't bump into a zerg.

Otherwise, look or listen for any areas under attack and head to them, and try to ward off the attackers.

There really isn't that much a lone player can do in WvW, honestly.

As far as I know legendaries do have very very slightly (basically token and negligible) higher stats than an 80 exotic.

Yeah, it used to be some dinky 3% advantage, but that was removed. Legendaries = Exotics with cooler visuals.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh I'm ready. Depending on my gold-earning skills this week I might have 3 complete armor sets to choose from when heading into the Fractals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom