• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morokh

I dunno, Patch 2.0, the new drop system, along with smartloot and the huge amount of cool legendaries they added (Puzzle Ring, etc), has totally fixed all my issues with D3. RoS has been nothing but awesome, I've put more time into D3 now than I ever did D2. And I played D2 far more than I'd want to admit.

The loot system in D3 right now is almost flawless - when a Legendary drops, even though it drops often, there's always a chance it's the thing I want, so it's exciting. The only thing I don't like is the inability to trade with players who weren't in the game with you when the item dropped.

Then it might as well be a rare, no difference here ,and I don't find that exciting at all.

The changes to the loot system were mostly good, many of them were (cleverly) made in an attempt to 'patch' design problems that plague the base game, and smart loot is one of them, it works in the game's very sterile and controlled environment, but it makes it extremely boring for me, among many other things that are not loot related :p

RoS had the exact opposite effect on me than it seemed to have had on you.

Then it might as well be a rare, no difference here ,and I don't find that exciting at all..

Rares don't have the huge impact that a Legendary does, in terms of their effects. When a Legendary drops, it has the potential to make you completely alter how you play, to suit the item. That brings DIII back in line with how DII was.

But, different strokes. I'm not trying to convince you to like the game - only that I don't think it's as bad as you're making it out to be.

So, what's gonna happen with the waypoints? What happened to the one that was crushed? Was it useable anymore?

It's Contested. And it's unclear what will happen with waypoints, especially since Taimi gave it an "out"
saying she can raise the frequency of the existing WP's so they're unattractive to Modremoth's vines, and will get left alone.

I don't think anything serious will happen to any more waypoints, but... who knows.

Katoki

They ever do anything regarding build diversity in D3? I miss doing stuff in D2 where you could be a dentist necro if you wanted to even if it wasn't strong late game and then stuff like the spirit druid. I think the skill was bone teeth or something like that where when maxed and boosted you'd have a huge frontal arc flying out teeth. Grim Dawn hits that spot but not quite since there aren't as many skills to base the build around.

Lunar15

The vines started showing up during the "middle tuesday" between the two updates, right?

Maybe we'll start seeing some little clues about the next update tomorrow.

They ever do anything regarding build diversity in D3?

Yes. 2.0 changed almost every skill, some were even totally replaced, to promote more build diversity. The new Legendary system is a big part of it, as depending on the legendaries you find, your skills can be altered in pretty dramatic ways. That's not to say that every crazy build will work well in the field, but compared to vanilla launch D3, it's lightyears better now.

Some fun ones are things like Unity, which splits damage among all players wearing that ring (in the game with you, of course), Haunt of Vaxo that summons shadow clones when you stun enemies, and the Puzzle Ring which summons a Treasure Goblin that runs around and picks up items for you, every 12 or so items he picks up he drops a rare or legendary.

The Tall Man's Finger, which I got recently, makes it so a Witchdoctor summons one big Zombie Dog instead of four smaller zombie dogs. If you're running other items that boost pet damage, or have them in storage, this ring is a huge boost to single-target tank and damage.

Moondrop

Banned
And it's unclear what will happen with waypoints, especially since Taimi gave it an "out"
saying she can raise the frequency of the existing WP's so they're unattractive to Modremoth's vines, and will get left alone.
Did anyone else cringe at this explanation? For both science and plot reasons.

Jira

Yes. 2.0 changed almost every skill, some were even totally replaced, to promote more build diversity. The new Legendary system is a big part of it, as depending on the legendaries you find, your skills can be altered in pretty dramatic ways. That's not to say that every crazy build will work well in the field, but compared to vanilla launch D3, it's lightyears better now.

Indeed, but they need to diversify the use of different rune element types. There needs to be possible builds for every elemental type for each class.

Guess.

I, for one, eagerly await our Xen overlords.

TBH naming the next dragon Nihilanth, making allusions to an eventual resonance cascade and adding a new, shadowy figure known as the Freesura, with his unique goatee, who'd eventually save the day would, at the very least, put a gigantic grin on my face.

Also nihilanth kinda thematically fits with the other dragon names

Levyne

Banned
3AQmK.gif

Why?

Even though a) we have NO idea HOW the dragons "feed" off magical energy, b) the notion of setting the
mechamagical Waypoint device's frequency higher
, to make it less appealing to the dragon, isn't that weird.

It's a goddamn fantasy game with four-dimensional golems that exist outside space-time, and god-tier tech races that pretend to be gods, and motherloving *dragons*.

But
raising the frequency
on something so it's not appealing to eat, is cringe-worthy? Marine biologists use frequency deterrence for metering and tracking devices so that the fauna don't bother the devices, all the damn time.

That's some damn fine cherrypicking about what's okay in a totally fantastical fantasy/sci-fi setting - that has elements that are beyond contemporary scientific understanding or parallels in our own universe - and what isn't. :p

Plus, I'm sure Taimi's "oh, I'll just do this and this" was flippant and not the full explanation of what's actually involved in making the rest of the waypoints less attractive to the seeking tendrils.

But, y'know. Let's make sure everything is totally realistic in a world where thousands of players can't die, respawn at waypoints, but if one NPC takes an arrow to the knee there's no rubbing heals for them. :p

Sometimes you just gotta go with it, y'know. Kind of like, why doesn't everyone on Tyria have a cellphone (the technology exists and is shown to work all around the world all the time), instead of using PIDGEONS to send messages. I guess we could blame the Asura, but that's too easy.

Raising the frequency
on the Waypoints is by far the LEAST offensive thing I think the game has asked us to just accept without much thought.

EDIT: Oh great. Heroes of the Storm is going to get League of Legend's rune/mastery system, which is a pure bulllshit grindfest. Welp, it was fun while it lasted.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
To be honest half of the magical technology stuff in the game's writing is arbitrary words that sound "science-like" stuck together. Asura dialog usually sounds like Doc Brown ranting about the Flux Capacitor or a Starfleet engineer explaining how to reverse the polarity on the particle of the week.

Moondrop

Banned
To me it's similar to the points you brought up on the previous page about language. Words have precise meanings, and when they're applied broadly confusion ensues.

Regarding this specific word,
I cringe at your use of the term "frequency of the device." Would you accuse me of cherrypicking if Taimi said she was going to increase the amplitude or wavelength of the waypoints? Because that's equally ridiculous to my trained ears. Have you ever turned up the frequency of your computer?

Obviously it's absurd to take everything literally in a fantasy/sci-fi setting. But setting your work of fiction in a fantasy/sci-fi setting does not completely absolve you of the actual definitions of technical jargon.

That said, the easiest way to hand-wave away my concerns is that Taimi actually did something other than what she literally said, but she dumbed-down the explanation for the group.

To be honest half of the magical technology stuff in the game's writing is arbitrary words that sound "science-like" stuck together. Asura dialog usually sounds like Doc Brown ranting about the Flux Capacitor or a Starfleet engineer explaining how to reverse the polarity on the particle of the week.
It's a fine line, and I'm not trying to bash the game because they usually do a good job of this. Specifically they get around the Geordi problem by implying that the Asura do not use purely mechanical methods, but a blend of mechanics and magic. So when it comes time for a nonsense word, they give it a magical spin and everything's gravy.

Levito

Banned
Playing XIV this past weekend really made me wish Guild Wars 2 had dedicated controller support. Mouse and keyboard are of course superior for the more twitch intensive activities like PVP and missions. but for just casual world completion it'd be nice to not sit at a desk to play the game.

I know there's xpadder, but I find that program to be a resource hog.

I think I don't understand what
frequency
means. Though never mind Taimi never elaborated *where* in the entire workings of the device,
frequency
adjustment would take place. I'm not exactly an expert on Waypoints.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
no more to it than that. Though if Taimi does provide us with a scientifically sound method of making waypoints unattractive to dragons in real life, i'm in for some Gems.
Playing XIV this past weekend really made me wish Guild Wars 2 had dedicated controller support. Mouse and keyboard are of course superior for the more twitch intensive activities like PVP and missions. but for just casual world completion it's be nice to not sit at a desk to play the game.
Unless you're running Win8, you really ought to try our solution. It's not hard to set up, and I use it for everything, PvP/hard content included.

edit: Right, you mentioned you consider it resource intensive... could you elaborate? I've got it open right now and it's using 14mb of RAM...

Hellers

Working on my thief at the moment. Currently level 65 with 78 spare skill points and nothing I'm interested in spending them on :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Working on my thief at the moment. Currently level 65 with 78 spare skill points and nothing I'm interested in spending them on :)
Skill points are a useful currency, forever. If there really are no more skills you want to unlock, just save them and get some goodies or gold later on.

Lunar15

My deal with stuff like this in stories: Does it matter to the plot? Is it crucial that I know how Taimi is going to fix the waypoint issue? It doesn't seem like knowing how is going to affect anything down the line, and what she said sounds pretty solid to me given that we're dealing with completely made up things here.

The point is that she can do it, somehow, and that moves us on to the next story beat.

Levyne

Banned
I don't think drawing parallels to game mechanics such as respawn is really a good defense. Mechanics like that need to make more sense to the player on-earth where the sense in-world is less important. I don't think wanting a thorough (and possibly less convenient/contrived) solution for in-verse prevention of further waypoint attraction/destruction within the season's story beats is quite the same as not needing explanation as to why and how people can respawn at waypoints when their hp hits zero and their remaining party members are out of combat.

That all said, the explanation doesn't bother me too much.

Levito

Banned
edit: Right, you mentioned you consider it resource intensive... could you elaborate? I've got it open right now and it's using 14mb of RAM...

To be honest the only time I've used xpadder was for Amnesia, and for some reason it halfed the framerate.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My deal with stuff like this in stories: Does it matter to the plot? Is it crucial that I know how Taimi is going to fix the waypoint issue? It doesn't seem like knowing how is going to affect anything down the line, and what she said sounds pretty solid to me given that we're dealing with completely made up things here.

The point is that she can do it, somehow, and that moves us on to the next story beat.
girl sounded pretty confident to me!
To be honest the only time I've used xpadder was for Amnesia, and for some reason it halfed the framerate.
That's... wha?! It's an input emulator. It doesn't hook into running game files or inject any DLLs or anything like that. It should have quite literally zero impact on framerate or 3D performance of a game, which is to say, not halving your framerate, not just a little bit, none. As far as the game is concerned you're just hitting keypresses and using your mouse as normal. I am flabbergasted by this one honestly! I even googled "xpadder framerate drops" but don't see anything concrete...

Lunar15

Just remember, in storytelling, it's far more important to understand why something is happening rather than how it happened.

Don't get me wrong, it's OK to get annoyed once in a while at bad writing and deus ex machinas. But as long as the story seems to maintain the same level of believability and the plot isn't reliant on having specific knowledge of specific happenings, then you're best not worrying about it.

Yup. The secret to fiction is internal consistency. Did an Asura just technobabble an explanation for something? That's internally consistent. :p

Lunar15

Yup. The secret to fiction is internal consistency. Did an Asura just technobabble an explanation for something? That's internally consistent. :p

And since my character is a Norn, I stayed consistent by basically being fine with the explanation as long as it worked and allowed me to eventually beat the living daylights out of a dragon.

You can trade skill points in? Since when? How?

Skill Points are a currency used at Miyani by the Mystic Forge, to buy things used in Mystic Forge recipes.

Things you need for material promotion (raising the tier of a crafting material you have a lot of, in exchange for less of the next tier up), things used for improving WvW siege equipment, things for making a Legendary, things used in crafting Ascended armour/weapons, back pieces, etc.

Many people use Skill Points to promote materials they buy off the AH, then resell the promoted materials for a profit (this is a pretty volatile market though).

jersoc

it made no sense to me, really. wouldn't dealing with the threat be better? i had to go back and read the logs because i thought i missed something. but the writing is never very good in GW2 so whatever.

edit:skill points. is it actually worth it now? the last time i looked into that it was hardly worth the effort.

Levyne

Banned
Outside of Legendary items, there's no real sink for skill points. Even then, you'll never find yourself needing more.

Making mystic weapons used to be decent money but I haven't looked into that in forever.

Edit there were are few other ones too, like making Anomaly.

Tomorrow we can start talking about entangled story without worrying about spoilers? Do we still put spoiler tags on everything?

Outside of Legendary items, there's no real sink for skill points. Even then, you'll never find yourself needing more.

Making mystic weapons used to be decent money but I haven't looked into that in forever.

Look up recipe for Courage, see what sigil is on it. Skill point money sink.

Moondrop

Banned
Actually there's superior siege crafting. Given that superior siege can be sold on the TP and so are the rest of the components, this suggest skillpoints have a directly calculable monetary value. *Paging Dr. Venthus*

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
What do you guys do for Transmute charges?
Do you buy them on the Gem Store, or does World Completion provide enough to not really have to worry about them?

I'm at 6 or something, and I just hate transmuting gear since I know I'll be out of charges soon if I keep changing.

Moondrop

Banned
I sPvP of course. ;)

I imagine most of us old-timers have accumulated a stack from map completion. If you were serious about grinding them (and you shouldn't be; there's no grind in GW2), I've mused you could repeatedly create alts and run map completion on the Grove and Rata Sum.

BraXzy

Do you buy them on the Gem Store, or does World Completion provide enough to not really have to worry about them?

I'm at 6 or something, and I just hate transmuting gear since I know I'll be out of charges soon if I keep changing.

I've got by from completion and BL chests. But I feel the same, I'm getting very picky with what I spend them on.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
edit:skill points. is it actually worth it now? the last time i looked into that it was hardly worth the effort.
I'm not sure how you determined "worth the effort" or not, but it has always been possible to convert SP into gold and still is.

Mystic Weapons are still fine, as is Anomaly, and some can be crafted and salvaged for a valuable Sigil a la the one Kos mentioned. Core promotion is also still profitable, often, though it's a fluctuating market.

But the most direct method would be superior siege. Depending on the siege weapon in question, it's usually 5 mithril, 5 elder wood, 2 blueprints, and a Siege Master's Guide (10sp). Superior Arrow Cart blueprints are listed ~19s, and the mats involved in the recipe cost ~7.4s. (Plus, come on, I bet you've got the mithril and wood.)

You can really easiliy do these in bulk since everything stacks.

I admit I sometimes prefer the quick gold hit of a mystic weapon for just one flush down the forge (Mystic Claymore, ~3.6g for the mats, sells ~11g, but needs 50SP) but yeah, I... think superior siege is the better conversion if you make the most profitable ones? I dunno.

I usually only convert some skill points when I suddenly realize I want something right away that I wasn't planning on. Sort of gives me the pleasant illusion that I'm not spending my "actual" money.

SirKhalid

You can also pvp to get them, they give them quite often in each reward tracks. I got 70+ with pvp and map completion. You could also get them easily with the completion of the Syvari city if you really need it. Just create a character, map complete, delete and repeat.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The sylvari city? I'm pretty sure I haven't even 100%ed The Grove on my Thief yet o_O

Rata Sum is the simplest to complete because it's the most logical. *folds arms*

it made no sense to me, really. wouldn't dealing with the threat be better? i had to go back and read the logs because i thought i missed something. but the writing is never very good in GW2 so whatever.

Obviously they're going to deal with the threat, but how are they going to deal with a dragon if the waypoint system is down? In terms of lore, the dragons are Serious Business, and the only reason we managed Zhaitan was because a) we had the combined forces of all the *orders*, and b) Zhaitan was already quite starved by the time we fought him.

You don't ignore your supply line when you go to war, that's an instant defeat.

Lunar15

We were also able to defeat Zhaitan since we found that Sylvari were not affected by his corruption and we used some of their magic to create weapons and barriers that made Orr hospitable.

This time around, it's kind of the opposite situation.

EDIT: I'm totally wrong on this. It was a magic orb stolen from the krait that kept away the Dragon's influence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom