• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've been in one around the 40 minute mark, 25 is outstanding though, must have had crazy DPS for Lupicus.

Arah is actually a pretty damn good dungeon. I don't like Simin, but everything else is really solid. It's just altogether long, outside of path 3. I love path 2, the Golem run part is a blast, except for the time it bugged the turret at the end ;)

izSi4CILBqaQx.jpg

I think it may be impossible to capture the grandeur of Raptor Valley.

Lunar15

izSi4CILBqaQx.jpg

I think it may be impossible to capture the grandeur of Raptor Valley.

It's become one of my favorite locales in the game, bar none.

There just aren't any other places like that in video games. Completely blew my mind when I stumbled into it. I love how Anet didn't spoil the area at all.

jackal27

Banned
That controller tutorial is kind of terrible you guys. I have followed everything it said and I still can't figure out how this works. What do I need to run in order to get this profile to run? When I extract Xpadder, should it stay in its own folder inside the Guild Wars 2 Gamepad folder? I just cannot figure this out.

Nvm, I found the Instructions.txt. Just woke up from a nap and I'm kind of irritable.

Retro

Primeval is a great looking set on Charr. Light blue with black (or a dark shade of something, hard to tell) isn't a bad look either.

Edit: Oh lord, things got a little... um... deranged on Gaming side.

BraXzy

Liking the dyes and little splashes of Zodiac is it? I'm debating to change my red dyed trim since it always looks weirdly brown/burgundy in most light.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That controller tutorial is kind of terrible you guys. I have followed everything it said and I still can't figure out how this works. What do I need to run in order to get this profile to run? When I extract Xpadder, should it stay in its own folder inside the Guild Wars 2 Gamepad folder? I just cannot figure this out.

Nvm, I found the Instructions.txt. Just woke up from a nap and I'm kind of irritable.
Unfortunately it used to be quite a bit simpler (basically, unzip and run a .bat file) except that very recently Google decided to consider the all-in-one complete zip to have a virus, which it certainly does not. So we had to split everything up. We are working on a solution to this but I have no idea what it's thinking.

Xpadder doesn't need to be within its own folder, but it can, it's up to you. I keep all the files including AutoHotKey, Xpadder and the script and profiles in my GW2 root folder.

If you have any questions about getting it set up just post here and I'll be happy to help! Just to be clear in case you didn't see, Windows 8 is still not fully supported, so hopefully you're running 7.

To be clear, the two files you need to have running for it to be working are Xpadder.exe and Guild Wars 2 Mouse Script.ahk.

jackal27

Banned
Ok, nevermind. the Instructions.txt is not helping me either. Where is START.bat? I don't see this file anywhere and I have never used any of these programs before.

Unfortunately it used to be quite a bit simpler (basically, unzip and run a .bat file) except that very recently Google decided to consider the all-in-one complete zip to have a virus, which it certainly does not. So we had to split everything up. We are working on a solution to this but I have no idea what it's thinking.

Xpadder doesn't need to be within its own folder, but it can, it's up to you. I keep all the files including AutoHotKey, Xpadder and the script and profiles in my GW2 root folder.

If you have any questions about getting it set up just post here and I'll be happy to help! Just to be clear in case you didn't see, Windows 8 is still not fully supported, so hopefully you're running 7.

Ah, that explains a lot. I am running Windows 7. How should I set this up? Is there a different tutorial you can refer me to?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's fine, just take a deep breath! The batch file sadly doesn't work anymore for the moment, due to an issue with Google beyond our control.

All it did was:

1) Open Xpadder.exe
2) Open Guild Wars 2 Mouse Script.ahk

You can just put these two files in your Startup so you never have to do this again.

I will update the instructions.txt file and have Retro replace it until we can get the old way back to normal. Thanks for bearing with the kinks, it is worth the trouble to do once.
Ah, that explains a lot. I am running Windows 7. How should I set this up? Is there a different tutorial you can refer me to?
I can give you the quick and dirty right here. Everything in INSTRUCTIONS.TXT is accurate except for the stuff regarding the Xpadder/AutoHotKey files, so make sure to do those keybinds and settings and everything.

Then basically you:
-Download Xpadder and AutoHotKey as described in the OT
-Install AutoHotKey
-Open Guild Wars 2 Mouse Script.ahk (can put this in windows startup if you want)
-Open Xpadder.exe (ditto)
-In Xpadder, make sure your controller is on, click the icon shown below and click open
and open Guild Wars 2.xpadder from wherever you stashed it. Then you should be good to go and not have to worry about this stuff ever again!

jackal27

Banned
It's fine, just take a deep breath! The batch file sadly doesn't work anymore for the moment, due to an issue with Google beyond our control.

All it did was:

1) Open Xpadder.exe
2) Open Guild Wars 2 Mouse Script.ahk

You can just put these two files in your Startup so you never have to do this again.

I will update the instructions.txt file and have Retro replace it until we can get the old way back to normal. Thanks for bearing with the kinks, it is worth the trouble to do once.

Thank you. When I open Xpadder, I get this weird blank window and I'm not sure what to do with it. Am I supposed to open Xbox 360 Controller.xpaddercontroller somehow or something? Also, when I unzipped Xpadder it came with its own .ini. Should I replace the .ini in the Guild Wars 2 Gamepad folder with this one?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Hawk, if you need anything file wise let me know. I have all of the files with the batch and whatever, and I can email or something to get them out there.

I promise not to include that shady PS3 setup.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thank you. When I open Xpadder, I get this weird blank window and I'm not sure what to do with it. Am I supposed to open Xbox 360 Controller.xpaddercontroller somehow or something? Also, when I unzipped Xpadder it came with its own .ini. Should I replace the .ini in the Guild Wars 2 Gamepad folder with this one?
Ah yeah, if your controller isn't showing up, first make sure it's turned on- Xpadder tries to detect it automatically. If it is, then yep- open Xbox 360 controller.xpaddercontroller, it will remember it from there on.

to do that, this button

What .ini do you mean? There shouldn't be anything from Xpadder that overwrites anything in the Gamepad folder.

Hawk, if you need anything file wise let me know. I have all of the files with the batch and whatever, and I can email or something to get them out there.

I promise not to include that shady PS3 setup.
It seems to actually be an issue with Chrome itself, on the browser level. Like, try zipping and hosting the files you have yourself, anywhere, then download with Chrome?

Granadier

It seems to actually be an issue with Chrome itself, on the browser level. Like, try zipping and hosting the files you have yourself, anywhere, then download with Chrome?

Interesting. I will have to try this out when I finish my homework.

This was directed at the MotionJoy software itself, not the concept of using a PS3 controller. It runs as a web service, yet requires admin privileges, so it is just waiting to be exploited. Unfortunately there isn't a very reliable way of getting the DS3 drivers for connecting it up without MotionJoy as far as I'm aware.

jackal27

Banned
Took some finagling, but I got it all figured out! Thank you guys. I still can't understand why this game doesn't have controller support built in.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Took some finagling, but I got it all figured out! Thank you guys. I still can't understand why this game doesn't have controller support built in.
Glad it worked! Let me know if you have any questions. It takes a little getting used to but it's so worth it.

And I know, it's dying for it. Just wasn't a development priority which is such a shame.

Retro

Whenever I talk to one of the devs, I always try to ask them. It seems like something a ton of people would really enjoy, and Hawkian and Weltall's work have demonstrated that it's not only possible, but actually really really good.

Fuck. I have my 360 controller in my desk. I have no idea why I haven't tried it yet.

Retro

I'm trying to understand this chart fully. If I were to level Armorcrafting to 500, would it cost close to 77 gold or do I need to add the Normal Guides/400-500 columns?

The prices aren't cumulative (you can see leather working is 20g, then 28g, then 21g), so I think if you're going from 0-500 you need to add all of the columns together. At least that's what it looks like to me.

The prices aren't cumulative (you can see leather working is 20g, then 28g, then 21g), so I think if you're going from 0-500 you need to add all of the columns together. At least that's what it looks like to me.

Ok, that's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure I was reading it correctly.

Levyne

Banned
Got my first triple wurm kill today. Neat boss. The way people are set into roles such as reflects and conditions on top of a 3 way split shows a pretty good way of making individuals important despite being in a map-wipe effort. Sadly, I was just on the damage team so fall more into the zergling role.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
When you put it like that I feel really silly for using it and even worse for recommending. I love my PS3 controller though. :/
I mean, he put it the right way... it's "generally accepted as safe," just a little shady. I have it as well, it's just a "use at your own risk" sort of thing. I wish PS3 controllers had simpler Windows driver support, it seems insane for it to require so much finagling.
Ok, that's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure I was reading it correctly.
Yeah, getting from 400-500 is considerably more than double what it takes to get from 0-400. This is really the main barrier to Ascended crafting in my eyes. I'm just doing it very, very slowly, and honestly often selling my daily-locked crafting mats since they're such good money. Exotics in every slot are good enough for literally everything in the game, with the exception of fractals (and that's only because of the Agony Resistance, rather than the stat differential).

Levyne

Banned
Ascended crafting really is mostly carrot chasing. Even the agony resistance can be taken care of through laurels/commendations until you're really pushing your Fractal level up.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Technically, with the new Agony infusions, Infused Rings and an Infused Backpiece, you can get pretty high into the AR stratosphere without a single weapon or armor piece. What does conventional wisdom say you need for 50 these days? Not to null the agony completely, but to make it bearable if you get hit/on the bosses.

Levyne

Banned
50 has a mistlock that continuously applies Agony so I pretty sure it's mostly 70 AR (1% damage tick) or bust.

Aside, for some reason I find the new (to me) agony thingies that you craft up to +x to be sort of sloppy. Each piece being worth 5 (or 10 if infused) flat seemed so nice and neat.

Granadier

When you put it like that I feel really silly for using it and even worse for recommending. I love my PS3 controller though. :/

There's ways to get around it, but I haven't had much experience with them. After I found that out, and with the hair pulling I was going through trying to get my DS3 to run wirelessly, I ended up just ordering a 360 receiver and going back to that.

As far as I know, you can install the drivers through MotionJoy, then use a separate program like Better DS3 to run after that. You can even uninstall MotionJoy once the drivers are installed I believe. There are ways to avoid MotionJoy all-together, but that involves deeper digging in order to find and install the drivers yourself.

All this is precautionary. There isn't any evidence that MotionJoy is used maliciously, and everything points to it being set up the way it is as a somewhat lazy way to implement the ad service, but it's there and it can be exploited.

I mean, he put it the right way... it's "generally accepted as safe," just a little shady. I have it as well, it's just a "use at your own risk" sort of thing. I wish PS3 controllers had simpler Windows driver support, it seems insane for it to require so much finagling.

So much of this. It would awesome to have wireless alternatives that were as simple as the 360 pad.

Zeroth

Technically, with the new Agony infusions, Infused Rings and an Infused Backpiece, you can get pretty high into the AR stratosphere without a single weapon or armor piece. What does conventional wisdom say you need for 50 these days? Not to null the agony completely, but to make it bearable if you get hit/on the bosses.

Nah, you need full agony for fractal lv 50 since it gives constant agony when you are in combat.

That said, I agree with ya. Unless you are running lv 40 or 50, you will never need full AR. On our GAFractals we often carry people without full AR for the level we are running, and the truth is that it is not obligatory at all if people play smart. Hell, only after 3 runs with Moondrop on lv 38 I realized he didn't have enough AR for it.

P.S: Watch out for what ascended mats you are selling, because some actually make you lose money depending on their price.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Nah, you need full agony for fractal lv 50 since it gives constant agony when you are in combat.
50 has a mistlock that continuously applies Agony so I pretty sure it's mostly 70 AR (1% damage tick) or bust.
Holy crap! I didn't know that, sounds brutal...

I guess if you got, say 3 +9 pieces on infused stuff, that's 27 + 15 = 42. Then amulet, accessories for another 15, to get to 57... yeah that won't cut it. Wow. Would get you through 40, though.
P.S: Watch out for what ascended mats you are selling, because some actually make you lose money depending on their price.
what. I've never even considered that, how can it be so? o.o

Zeroth

Holy crap! I didn't know that, sounds brutal...

I guess if you got, say 3 +9 pieces on infused stuff, that's 27 + 15 = 42. Then amulet, accessories for another 15, to get to 57... yeah that won't cut it. Wow. Would get you through 40, though.

what. I've never even considered that, how can it be so? o.o

Well, when you use an app like gw2spidy, it shows how much profit you would get buying the components then selling the product. You could argue you are not losing money if you got the component as a drop, but if the profit is negative, then you can know you would make more money selling the components over crafting the piece.

Moondrop

Banned
I didn't mean to imply Granadier was framing the MotionJoy situation incorrectly. Security is to be taken seriously. As a user, I can tell it's a bit shady; often if you don't already have your internet browser open, it will open it for you to a random Chinese website.

Granadier

I didn't mean to imply Granadier was framing the MotionJoy situation incorrectly. Security is to be taken seriously. As a user, I can tell it's a bit shady; often if you don't already have your internet browser open, it will open it for you to a random Chinese website.

Haha. I never ran into that, but that is beyond crazy town.

Zeroth

Yeah, MotionJoy is crappy that way, plus it doesn't work offline. I just used the updated drivers and now all I need to do is plug my DS3 and it works like a Xbox 360 controller. The only minus is not being able to reconfigure the shoulder buttons, but that's a minor thing in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom