• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraXzy

Can anyone add me to the guild again? I will give it another shoot now my ingame character name is Tokikko lvl 13 human mesmer

Oh no! My first chance to invite someone to the guild and I'm currently out and about. Hopefully someone online will spot this soon, if not I should be back and will throw you an invite :)

tumblr_n990cwepgS1qivig7o1_500.gif

Lol gif remind me of the IRL moment
ROBFORD.gif

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Oh no! My first chance to invite someone to the guild and I'm currently out and about. Hopefully someone online will spot this soon, if not I should be back and will throw you an invite :)

Officership revoked!

Ashodin

How to easily spot a GW2 casual:

- Has less than 15k AP.
- Does not have a Legendary.
- Does not have full Ascended armour.
- Fractal level still below 50.
- Does not have Dungeon Master achievement.
- Isn't rank Dragon in PvP.
- Has yet to finish their Personal Story.
- Does not constantly complain about a lack of raids.
- Isn't part of a hardcore WvW guild.
- Wasn't there for Early Start.
- Didn't do a Finisher on Scarlet.
- Didn't lag out during Lost Shores.
- Has less than 2500 hours played.
- Has less than 3000 deaths.
- Doesn't have a level 80 on every profession.
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, no, no, no, yes, no, yes.

Img I'm casual

The LS trickle is slower than I would like. That's the shortest way I can put it.

Quality. Speed. You can pick one. :p

But seriously, once every two weeks is pretty damn fast. It works out great for my friends and I, since we get one weekend to do the story content together, then another weekend to get all the achievements in the story missions.

I remember when Season 1 ended, everyone was like "oh thank god, a break, now I can catch up on some other stuff I wanted to do". And then a few months later, everyone was like "I miss the Living World two week schedule, I have nothing to do."

And now, I see people saying "this two week schedule is too fast" and "this two week schedule is too slow". :p

asVxAjb.gif

jgtQxNJ.jpg

Yeah, it's just like that episode.

BraXzy

Officership revoked!

Kicked.

Can anyone add me to the guild again? I will give it another shoot now my ingame character name is Tokikko lvl 13 human mesmer

I just invited you, unless someone already did. Don't forget to press represent in the (G) guild panel :)

The LS trickle is slower than I would like. That's the shortest way I can put it.

I don't currently have an issue with it, they keep creeping up on me really quick. I still keep thinking that the next update is next week.

Anno

Quality. Speed. You can pick one. :p

But seriously, once every two weeks is pretty damn fast. It works out great for my friends and I, since we get one weekend to do the story content together, then another weekend to get all the achievements in the story missions.

The speed is fine, but I don't think we should just accept that the quality is there. The presentation has improved so drastically since the personal story stuff that it's kind of a shame to not see the content follow suite. The open world stuff is great, but most of the instanced stuff leaves me somewhere between occasionally surprised and disappointed.

Obliviously this is all my personal opinion, YMMV etc.

Obliviously this is all my personal opinion, YMMV etc.

And that's always going to be the barrier here.

Some people are going to like the style of writing, storytelling, tone, etc of the Living World story instances, and some aren't. That will never change, no matter what, because all taste is subjective. I won't deny the quality of some of the writing isn't that great, but the tone and tempo of it has been, for Season 2 so far, pretty damn good for me. But then again, I'm not expecting high prose or Tolkien-level high fantasy wankery, I was pretty fine with cartoon-villain shit like Scarlet. Because I'm in it for the fun. :p

- Has less than 15k AP. Yup
- Does not have a Legendary. I got 2
- Does not have full Ascended armour. I have full
- Fractal level still below 50. Don't care about fractals
- Does not have Dungeon Master achievement. don't care about dungeons.
- Isn't rank Dragon in PvP. Fuck PvP
- Has yet to finish their Personal Story. done that
- Does not constantly complain about a lack of raids. who cares
- Isn't part of a hardcore WvW guild. WvW is boring
- Wasn't there for Early Start. I was there
- Didn't do a Finisher on Scarlet. I did
- Didn't lag out during Lost Shores. I lagged out
- Has less than 2500 hours played. just above 2k
- Has less than 3000 deaths. I got maybe 1000
- Doesn't have a level 80 for every profession. I got this

I answered them all..

Answers from a casual (for fun):

- Has less than 15k AP. I have 5k
- Does not have a Legendary. Nope, never going to either.
- Does not have full Ascended armour. See above
- Fractal level still below 50. I don't care for fractals
- Does not have Dungeon Master achievement. 75% done on this one
- Isn't rank Dragon in PvP. Nope, I'm 8 or something
- Has yet to finish their Personal Story. Hey! I got one! I've completed all story missions.
- Does not constantly complain about a lack of raids. I quite enjoy the content in the game.
- Isn't part of a hardcore WvW guild. I don't like WvW.
- Wasn't there for Early Start. I was
- Didn't do a Finisher on Scarlet. I did
- Didn't lag out during Lost Shores. I did
- Has less than 2500 hours played. 700
- Has less than 3000 deaths. Not even close
- Doesn't have a level 80 for every profession. I have two level 80s

Thorgal

- Has less than 15k AP.
- Does not have a Legendary.
- Does not have full Ascended armour.
- Fractal level still below 50.
- Does not have Dungeon Master achievement.
- Isn't rank Dragon in PvP.
- Has yet to finish their Personal Story.
- Does not constantly complain about a lack of raids.
- Isn't part of a hardcore WvW guild.
- Wasn't there for Early Start.
- Didn't do a Finisher on Scarlet.
- Didn't lag out during Lost Shores.
- Has less than 2500 hours played.
- Has less than 3000 deaths.
- Doesn't have a level 80 for every profession.

Looking at that list , i am so below casualness that a new word has to be invented to properly and accurately describe how casual i am .

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Unsubscribe, lawyer up, uninstall, hit the gym, delete Facebook you filthy casuals.

Lunar15

I don't play much save for content updates, so the pace of LS updates are fine. There's not really enough to keep me around for more than one day, though.

Thing is, I think people want more toys. They want game changers; new weapons, new classes, new races, etc.

For most people, this is a silly thing to want given that most people don't play more than one or two classes as it is (like myself). For others, I understand the desire for expansion style content.

Seems the word "casual" makes people foam at the mouth.
My job is done. :)

No seriously, I shouldn't have used that word in my post.
My bad.
Too many different definition for most people.

Anyone else miss though the feeling at launch when you know you got 10+ zones to explore, 6+ dungeons to conquer, new races to try, new pvp modes, the endgame, etc all at once ? This is what I want again, and the LS will never give me that (even if some parts are good).

BTW, I don't give a shit if some 24/7 poopsocker finishes such content in 2 weeks and complain. Those guys will never be happy with either expansion or LS.

Anno

I don't really care much about new races if classes, but I'd love to see mine change more often. Just a few changes every quarter or something could keep PvP and WvW more interesting.

Levyne

Banned

No seriously, I shouldn't have used that word in my post.
My bad.
Too many different definition for most people.

Anyone else miss though the feeling at launch when you know you got 10+ zones to explore, 6+ dungeons to conquer, new races to try, new pvp modes, the endgame, etc all at once ? This is what I want again, and the LS will never give me that (even if some parts are good).

BTW, I don't give a shit if some 24/7 poopsocker finishes such content in 2 weeks and complain. Those guys will never be happy with either expansion or LS.

I just want to see more deliveries and fewer promises. They can add expansion like content with the LS. Well that would be nice to see more of.

I guarantee you, no matter how hardcore someone thinks they are, they're a casual to someone else. The labels are meaningless, and usually only used when someone is trying to bring some kind of stupid hierarchy into their argument, as a misguided "appeal to authority" style fallacy. "I'm hardcore, and thus my opinions are more valid!" type crap. (Not meaning to imply you did that)

That is why I relentlessly mock anyone who uses the words casual, or hardcore, seriously.

I guarantee you, no matter how hardcore someone thinks they are, they're a casual to someone else. The labels are meaningless, and usually only used when someone is trying to bring some kind of stupid hierarchy into their argument, as a misguided "appeal to authority" style fallacy. "I'm hardcore, and thus my opinions are more valid!" type crap.

That is why I relentlessly mock anyone who uses the words casual, or hardcore, seriously.

I remember a time when video games were played for fun. Then some dude said he was more hardcore than some other dude, who said he was more hardcore than another. Before you know it video games have turned into a race to see who can elevate to the highest level of hardcore and leave all of the casuals in the dust. Where they can sit on their throne and play with themselves all alone.

I'm being facetious obviously. I agree completely with your sentiment that it's ridiculous.

Moondrop

Banned
Last night I tried some pistol/dagger action on thief instead of shortbow. For the purpose of trolling stragglers in EotM, pistol/dagger would seem to have the edge conceptually: stealth, control, and retreat for when my prey is more formidable than anticipated. Now I ought to test sword/dagger for this purpose as well.

Is there any other MMO with nearly as many elaborate easter eggs as this one? Sheesh. Didn't even come across that mission in all the time of playing.

To WoW's credit, it's full to the brim with reference, pop culture, and stuff like that. Then again, they've spent the last 10 years filling it with such things.

BraXzy

Retro

To WoW's credit, it's full to the brim with reference, pop culture, and stuff like that. Then again, they've spent the last 10 years filling it with such things.

To me, WoW takes it too far, where everything is a reference to a TV show, movie or internet meme. GW2 can be genuinely funny on its own without having to name drop Star Wars or the Simpsons every other quest (see Harpy Aphrodisiac, etc.)

Ashodin

Last night I tried some pistol/dagger action on thief instead of shortbow. For the purpose of trolling stragglers in EotM, pistol/dagger would seem to have the edge conceptually: stealth, control, and retreat for when my prey is more formidable than anticipated. Now I ought to test sword/dagger for this purpose as well.
A thief tried to fuck with me the other day in WvW with that skill set. He was really fun to fight, as I kept chilling him and he would stay that way even in stealth. Love love my WvW PvP spec.

God dammit double post

BraXzy

A thief tried to fuck with me the other day in WvW with that skill set. He was really fun to fight, as I kept chilling him and he would stay that way even in stealth. Love love my WvW PvP spec.

A Thief tried to screw with me when I was out on my own in WvW too, I was Sword/Warhorn'ing to get around quicker which they probably picked up on. Little did they know, I had Rampage slotted and I sat on him mwuhaha.

GW1 was an odd duck, since it was designed as "chapters" from the start.

Stand-alone Chapter 1, Prophecies, launched in April 2005.
Stand-alone Chapter 2, Factions, launched in April, 2006.
Stand-alone Chapter 3, Nightfall, launched in October, 2006.

The first of two Expansion packs, Eye of the North, launched August 2007.
The second of two Expansion packs, Bonus Mission Pack, launched November 2007.

There's also the Guild Wars Beyond content, but I don't know much about it. I think it's just free stuff to do, added in for people waiting for GW2.

You needed to own one of the three Chapters, to be able to play Eye of the North or BMP.

It's worth noting that Prophecies, Factions, and Nightfall can be finished in about a week each if you bolt through the campaign missions and ignore side-quests. Prophecies has 25 missions, Factions has 13, Nightfall has 20.

Realistically speaking, Guild Wars 2 has more story content than all three GW1 chapters combined, due to each race having their own missions, and variants on missions based on choices, etc. But of course, you have to make a character for each race if you want to experience it all, and it all tends to end up in the same place about midway.

However, the quality of GW1's missions far surpasses those in GW2. They were longer, harder (snerk), and generally quite more involved, multi-phased, and able to be played in a Hard mode for extra challenge. Though most did involve a lot of pointless walking from A to B and dealing with pop-up encounters.

Eye of the North being "end game" can take a bit longer, since it's more convoluted.

GW1 Beyond was a bit like the Living World. It was just drawn out way longer than the Flame and Frost Arc in GW2.

Missions were meh in GW1. You were only rewarded once (usually 2 plat, 2k experience) for Normal Mode and then something for Hard Mode. It wasn't until later that they added campaign books, Zaishen stuffs, titles, and weekend bonus events (now weekly) to get people to play them.

I remember Prophecies missions to be a lot of running. Canthan Missions were speed clears imo, lol. Eye of the North was fun.

spiritfox

I can see Anet adding new races via mini-expansion packs, since the only differences between the races are the first part of the PS and cosmetics. Payable new classes will bring its own problems, like whether if it's intentionally OP cause it's an additional cost, or nobody buying it if it's not. Any other content packs will just fragment the playerbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom