• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUILTY GEAR Xrd REV 2 |OT| Holy Smokes Baiken!

I have only one very important question:

will the tutorial of this game make me understand how fighting games work in a way that will enable me to auto-improve my skills at the genre? This is someone who could not get past the second story fight in Mortal Kombat IX.

"Auto-improve"? Probably not

but if you're an active learner and diligent.(you'll probably have to go through mission mode a few times to retain all its lessons) then yeah I think Guilty Gear teaches you some pretty fundamental lessons that can be applied across a broad range of fighting games.

Sayad

I have only one very important question:

will the tutorial of this game make me understand how fighting games work in a way that will enable me to auto-improve my skills at the genre? This is someone who could not get past the second story fight in Mortal Kombat IX.
Tutorials? Nope.

But if you go through Mission Mode while paying attention you will have a general idea of what need to be done in each situation that comes up during real matches(baring some very character specific stuff), which would gave you a lot of room to improve while just playing the game.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
IT'S BAIKEN KFSJLKFNSLKFNKLSJFH

She looks so cool

mnemonicj

I was going to pull the trigger on this last Flash sale, but I didn't. I was too afraid that the online community is non-existent. I made that mistake when I purchased Skullgirls in a recent sale. I haven't played that game at all since no one ever shows up online.

Now that I see this thread with some activity though, I kind of regret it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Finally have XRD on PS4 after having the original version on PS3. It's great how well the PS3 version held up; It all still feels familiar in the right ways.

Dizzy definitely has that extra TLC compared to other characters; Why do I feel like Johnny's Intro / outro is more framey / at a different pace than others? And that piece of paper Jam reads in her intro looks oddly low-res... *shrug*

So I can earn Raven in game, and Kum is the only thing I have left to buy... ok. That's not as bad as it could be. Does beating / (watching?) the story mode give enough funds to earn Raven?

I've gotta give time to fall in love with the gameplay, because I'm still not enjoying that "death from a thousand cuts" method for low life here. I've only played CPU and 10s of local VS matches so far, and mostly with established Waifu (Ramlethal, Dizzy, Jam, PumpkinKula), but I can't get fully sold on "Yeah, this is gonna HURT!" for like... anything yet, lol. Like... damage feels GREAT on a counter Hit Cr.S -> Cr.HS with Rammy, but the big dramatic well-animated cinematic supers I do with her never seem to kill ANYONE, lol.

I also don't understand why sound direction seems off in this game. Dizzy's
SURRENDERED!
Look cool, surely, but the screams that go along with her "DON'T DO IT!" face and turning around sound like they're whispered, or said for different scenes. She sounds really chill and kinda... eh... in her victory quotes. The impact of the sounds, and the balance of voice to music during fights just don't gel. I'm gonna mess with the Sound options to see if I can find something that works for me... but I'm just confused at how un-eventful things feel at times. Jam's Ki charge looks so much less impressive / impactful than it did in the old games, even if the arm and effect motion is nice. Her Bruce Lee-Like screams don't feel as meaningful and impactful as they did in the older games, though the actress performance seems pretty solid, on it's own.

None of the music has endeared itself to me yet. I LIKE a lot of it, but none of it has gotten stuck in my head, or even brought back memories from the older days. The best turn I've had with music is that the parts of the song that played for my Rammy VS May battle felt like each opening cinematic had it's own soundtrack mutation, hinting at each characters personality. Don't know how purposeful that is, but it felt cool. Please tell me Jam's theme turned out well!

I am very happy to see there's a lot of unlockable colors (even if many of them are things I remembered having as free DLs on the PS3 version), and hey, FISHING! Also glad offline VS earns you stuff (though I wish it was more obvious how much you earned per fight.)

All in all, I'm very glad to have (most of) the game, finally. I did miss Ramlethal, which may or may not additionally feel nice because I've see Megumi Han at a few Anime cons before, lol. Dizzy gives me a link to old GG that none of the other characters from -Sign- really gave me (No Baiken, Anji Mito, Testament...), and it's great seeing more characters and stages created under this obviously-still-growing graphical presentation. And I get to try out Leo and Sin now, whereas I never purchased the former, and never earned the latter, PS3.

lupinko

I was going to pull the trigger on this last Flash sale, but I didn't. I was too afraid that the online community is non-existent. I made that mistake when I purchased Skullgirls in a recent sale. I haven't played that game at all since no one ever shows up online.

Now that I see this thread with some activity though, I kind of regret it.

You could also just get it regular price, Arc needs all the sales it can get for Revelator.

wwm0nkey

If you're talking about after Xrd GFs at CEOtaku, no character announcement. Aksys straight out said that's ASW's territory.

Which is why I am thinking a PC announcement, Though it will be a bit weird to not see ASW publish it on steam, but oh well I guess

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
If you're talking about after Xrd GFs at CEOtaku, no character announcement. Aksys straight out said that's ASW's territory.

Cool. Np, guess the PC announcement is more likely anyway! Thanks for the additional clarity.
PleaseBaikenNextThenPleaseBaikenNextThenPleaseBaikenNextThenPleaseBaikenNextThenPleaseBaikenNextThen...

Sayad

Which is why I am thinking a PC announcement, Though it will be a bit weird to not see ASW publish it on steam, but oh well I guess

Isn't the PC version published by by ASW and not Aksys? If Aksys is the one doing the announcement hopefully it's VA related.

Nyoro SF

You're not the only one that noticed the sound issues.

Voices have lost a lot of impact from the X2 series; and for many moves it feels like the sound mixing is really messed up. Sol is an obvious example, and pointing out Jam's ki charge is a good example of how much impact the worse sound design has had on reducing the coolness of the move. There's a ton more examples but they're all things I noticed on day one. Sadly I don't think they'll ever be fixed or improved, since it's a pretty niche complaint.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
You're not the only one that noticed the sound issues.

Voices have lost a lot of impact from the X2 series; and for many moves it feels like the sound mixing is really messed up. Sol is an obvious example, and pointing out Jam's ki charge is a good example of how much impact the worse sound design has had on reducing the coolness of the move. There's a ton more examples but they're all things I noticed on day one. Sadly I don't think they'll ever be fixed or improved, since it's a pretty niche complaint.

Glad to see I'm not the only one; I know this is the kind of thing that can often be influenced by different sound systems / home theater setups.

It's such a shame, as the loud, METAL feel to the sound effects is something I always associate with the series, since way back with playing the PS1 Import of the first game. At least DRAGON INSTALLLLLL has it's own theme.

Oh, and sadly, I... don't like this version of Jam's theme"Babel Nose", anywhere near as much as the originals. Do I have to blame the Boobie Lady for this? Since "Oriental Flower" is similar to "Babel Nose"? (-_-; ) *hope classis Babel Nose is unlockable in game*

Her Kancho face is pretty epic, though. Jam's got more emotion on her face in this game than the entirety of the DOA cast plastered together, haha. She really emotes!

Anyway, the physics of this game feel odd to me, too. I hit attacks on the way down from IAD or jumps, and landing, rather than my next button coming out, I get no attacks. I figure I've been playing games with more generous buffers lately or something.

The Dojo is pretty nice though. I love the extra notes they put into some of the lessons (letting you know of things like hitting Dizzy's bubbles to make them explode, how Jack-KulO's bombs work, etc), though I wish those also appeared on the move list.

Sayad

ASW pls:
8TVfxR6.jpg
English VA dlc/patch?
Hopefully. :(

Deimo5

Digital Figure mode went up, I spent 45k and all I got was 2 colours for May. Curse my luck. There are a ton of items to get, it is going to be costly to fish for everything.
Just a thrown together example to show its there.

The balance patch came with this too? Wasn't sure.

Slaythe

This sure will shut up the haters that kept doubting the technical marvel that is Xrd's cell shading.

Changing the angles and lightning in real time is sick.

And the zooms look so good since there is no texture.

Naite

They really overdid the fishing part of this digital figure update. I have all the colors unlocked, and now I have to fish for all those same colors again just for digital figures? Not to mention all the different unlocks for expressions/poses/etc.

At least I finally got my 6K buff.

Wow. On my first try fishing for Digital Figure stuff, the first thing I got was Elphelt's old costume.

Thank god I didn't buy that. I almost did with the Story Mode money.

Deimo5

They really overdid the fishing part of this digital figure update. I have all the colors unlocked, and now I have to fish for all those same colors again just for digital figures? Not to mention all the different unlocks for expressions/poses/etc.

At least I finally got my 6K buff.

Yeah I wish there was another non-random way to unlock them. Do they have higher fish rates or something because it sounds like a brand new player would be screwed by that.

Yeah I wish there was another non-random way to unlock them. Do they have higher fish rates or something because it sounds like a brand new player would be screwed by that.

I don't fish much at all, and like half of the stuff I was getting was Digital Figure stuff.

So it seems they upped the rate for it.

Tizoc

2 of those images dont look funny to me; i get a different impression from them :v

Btw any word from ceotaku?

Rhapsody

Banned
They moved it to before GG top 8, but Aksys is doing Anime Ascension again next year which is now a 2 day event.
Sounds like they have an announcement related to SCR for tomorrow.

Deimo5

Grinding so hard for Digital Figure funds I reached max class in M.O.M.
It takes a stupidly high amount of matches (like 1200 wins for me) but it should be top for money, giving you around $600 for one two star win.
A few of the characters get scary buffs at stage 5. Dizzy gets +3 air dashes lol.

Sayad

Hate MOM mode mainly because after grinding it for so long in SIGN, I started defaulting to some of the MOM stuff while auto piloting in real matches. Not touching that shit again. >_>

Top Bottom