• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUILTY GEAR Xrd REV 2 |OT| Holy Smokes Baiken!

The diorama mode is just to display the models. It's like the mode where you can create little dioramas with the trophies on Smash Bros Wii. U, if you've ever played it.
You have a couple of different slots, some just fit one character, while the larger ones fit two. You can also put them in a sort of capsule/skybox of different environments from the game.

It's main use is to create little scenes that you can take photos of. I suppose if you wanted to get really creative you could make a little comic strip or something out of them.

I definitely think they made a mistake making it fishable only. Maybe they thought only people who play a lot would care about it?
I got all the items not long ago though if someone really wants it they could probably try through shareplay ha.
---
Suggesting characters based on street fighter is quite hard, but liking the varied posts. Sometimes elsewhere it's all just Sol and Ky lol.

I haven't played the game much since the update with that was released, so I only have a few of the figure parts, but it seems like it'll be a huge grind to get them all.

I picked this game up on the black Friday sale. I read in a couple forums this is a simpler guilty gear but I must say I'm a little overwhelmed with it lol. Maybe bc I've only ever really been into street fighter or mvc. Maybe I can find a solid beginner character. I tried chip and can immediately tell he's above my level to be good lol.

Oh god, Chipp is probably one of the most complicated characters to be effective with. I'm not a super competitive player, and I'm not really familiar with the X2 and onwards characters (I mainly played GGX), but I'd say that Sol, Ky, Sin, Faust, May and Jam are all good beginner characters. Although I've played as all of those aside from Sin for over a decade now so I'm not sure if they're easy to use/good for beginners, or if I'm just used to them.

Korigama

Oh god, Chipp is probably one of the most complicated characters to be effective with. I'm not a super competitive player, and I'm not really familiar with the X2 and onwards characters (I mainly played GGX), but I'd say that Sol, Ky, Sin, Faust, May and Jam are all good beginner characters. Although I've played as all of those aside from Sin for over a decade now so I'm not sure if they're easy to use/good for beginners, or if I'm just used to them.
Of those, the only one I would consider a good beginner character is Ky, with Sol managing to fall just short of that IMO. Accounting for the additional meter management is why I wouldn't consider Sin to be, Faust is definitely not a beginner character (much too unorthodox in techniques and handling), and while May is a more reasonable choice for a first charge character than say Venom, I still wouldn't recommend her to someone just starting out. Having started with Jam back in GGX, I had no idea what I was doing then.

Moyospeed

Neo Member

Yea I found a usability chart and realized my mistake even more lol. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not the greatest at fighting games anyway I think super silver is my ceiling in sfv.

Of those, the only one I would consider a good beginner character is Ky, with Sol managing to fall just short of that IMO. Accounting for the additional meter management is why I wouldn't consider Sin to be, Faust is definitely not a beginner character (much too unorthodox in techniques and handling), and while May is a more reasonable choice for a first charge character than say Venom, I still wouldn't recommend her to someone just starting out. Having started with Jam back in GGX, I had no idea what I was doing then.

Yeah, I remember gravitating towards Ky when I started GGX.
Sin's meter management isn't too bad though. All you need to do is make sure you remember to eat on knockdown, and don't go to overboard with specials if you're not like 90% sure you'll benefit from using them.

I'm curious why Faust isn't a good beginner character? I know he has an odd movement style, and you have to do things like learn what his different items do and what have you, but he has solid normals. That being said, I usually gravitate towards the more gimmicky FG characters. I mained Dampierre and Yoshimitsu in SCV (and the latter in the Tekken series too) for example.

Korigama

Yeah, I remember gravitating towards Ky when I started GGX.
Sin's meter management isn't too bad though. All you need to do is make sure you remember to eat on knockdown, and don't go to overboard with specials if you're not like 90% sure you'll benefit from using them.

I'm curious why Faust isn't a good beginner character? I know he has an odd movement style, and you have to do things like learn what his different items do and what have you, but he has solid normals. That being said, I usually gravitate towards the more gimmicky FG characters. I mained Dampierre and Yoshimitsu in SCV (and the latter in the Tekken series too) for example.
I suppose it depends on the amount of leeway given when defining a beginner character. Usually, I tend to think of "as close to a shoto character as possible" when it comes to 2D/2.5D fighters, so it wound up being more narrow from my viewpoint.

Onemic

Id consider Sin and Faust beginner characters. Sins execution is pretty easy besides the meter management and Faust just has really good buttons, so you can get away with not knowing his better combos.

Deimo5

What is reason to turn away from May as a beginner btw. Give me perspective as I am biased. Is it like the summons and stuff? Lack of meterless reversal?
Personally I tried Sol for a couple of hours since he is the poster boy then switched to May and stuck with her as I was having more fun. Like there is tricky high level techniques but for beginners/casuals she has some big dumb fun moves like max hold 6H, wall splatting someone with a heavy dolphin and Great Yamada Attack.
Also doesn't have any of those 632146 special inputs that can frustrate some people initially (after overhead kiss got changed thank you arc).
I have never had an overly competitive inclination either though which may influence things.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
As someone mentioned earlier, Raven is probably even easier than Sol/Sin. But play whoever you like, even if you hate yourself and it's Zato.

Mengetsu

So I picked this up in the sale and I'm excited for the story mode and have a question about it cause, me and my friend have played all the GG games following the story. The only one we didn't play was the Xbox 360 game but, I read up on it so I assume I'm all caught up now.

Question is before Revelator there was a Story mode in regular Xrd and want to know if this is the same story mode or as an expansion they added a new and or more story in Revelator. Thanks.

So I picked this up in the sale and I'm excited for the story mode and have a question about it cause, me and my friend have played all the GG games following the story. The only one we didn't play was the Xbox 360 game but, I read up on it so I assume I'm all caught up now.

Question is before Revelator there was a Story mode in regular Xrd and want to know if this is the same story mode or as an expansion they added a new and or more story in Revelator. Thanks.

I'm not sure if I fully understand your question, but Revelator takes place directly after the end of Xrd SIGN's story.
It has a quick recap of the main plot points of SIGN, and that's enough to get you up to speed. There's also a glossary with a timeline in one of the menus, but I'm not sure if that only covers up to GG2. I think it covers SIGN though.

Each character, save for a few of the most recent (like Jam), also have story scenes in arcade mode, which take place before Revelator's story mode.

Mengetsu

I'm not sure if I fully understand your question, but Revelator takes place directly after the end of Xrd SIGN's story.
It has a quick recap of the main plot points of SIGN, and that's enough to get you up to speed. There's also a glossary with a timeline in one of the menus, but I'm not sure if that only covers up to GG2. I think it covers SIGN though.

Each character, save for a few of the most recent (like Jam), also have story scenes in arcade mode, which take place before Revelator's story mode.
Ahh I see so If I wanted to know the whole story without recaps I would have to buy and play SIGN then. Sorry if this sounded confusing but, I just wanted to make sure I don't play this without skipping story. I guess I can pick up SIGN on the cheap at a later date for the first part of the story and then start up Revelator. Thanks for the answer :)

Kikirin

Ahh I see so If I wanted to know the whole story without recaps I would have to buy and play SIGN then. Sorry if this sounded confusing but, I just wanted to make sure I don't play this without skipping story. I guess I can pick up SIGN on the cheap at a later date for the first part of the story and then start up Revelator. Thanks for the answer :)

Can also try to find the SIGN story on Youtube. Might've been my imagination, but I thought it was officially available on there at one point.

partime

I picked this up during the sale and am wondering where to start other than tutorials or arcade.

Does this game have any type of progression? Story mode seemed to be completely anime without fighting.

Does this have something similar to Tekken, where characters get harder while leveling up?

I'm getting the same feeling I did when purchasing Dead or Alive.

Slaythe

I picked this up during the sale and am wondering where to start other than tutorials or arcade.

Does this game have any type of progression? Story mode seemed to be completely anime without fighting.

Does this have something similar to Tekken, where characters get harder while leveling up?

I'm getting the same feeling I did when purchasing Dead or Alive.

Well you have character specific tutorials, that teach you their most common gameplay aspect and then you have the trials that show you the moves and some practical combos for your character.

Outside from this, you pretty much play arcade mode (cpu gets more difficult if you don't lose, it levels up).

And obviously if you want to improve, play online with other people around your level.

Rhapsody

Banned
What is reason to turn away from May as a beginner btw. Give me perspective as I am biased. Is it like the summons and stuff? Lack of meterless reversal?
Personally I tried Sol for a couple of hours since he is the poster boy then switched to May and stuck with her as I was having more fun. Like there is tricky high level techniques but for beginners/casuals she has some big dumb fun moves like max hold 6H, wall splatting someone with a heavy dolphin and Great Yamada Attack.
Also doesn't have any of those 632146 special inputs that can frustrate some people initially (after overhead kiss got changed thank you arc).
I have never had an overly competitive inclination either though which may influence things.

No real reason. Definitely stick with her if you enjoy using her.

For someone new, you'll have fun summoning to cover up space or to extend pressure. Comboing different characters won't be too difficult compared to using other characters, but it's just enough for you to get a feel on what works or doesn't.

But if I had to say things to dissuade you, I guess once you go up against stronger players, it's really crucial to get certain May tactics down. She has a lot of good stuff, but they take a lot of practice. The execution on routes and oki might be a bit tough at first, especially when you have easier characters like Raven. Her buttons are decent, but I wouldn't say she has some straight up scary abusable ones compared to some.

To get started, I'd take a look at Ruu and Kedako since those are the two best May players, imo, for Xrd Revelator. There should be some easy to find videos on YT that are just on Ruu's May. Kedako, probably. You can find his matches for CEOtaku 2016 as well.

mcz117chief

So I just bought the game on PSN for like 15€ or something and I hope it wasn't a mistake. The game looks absolutely gorgeous and I am a mild fan of fighting games (played a couple of Mortal Kombats, Soulcaliburs and all Dead or Alive games). Anything I should know before I start? Will I like the game if I liked the ones mentioned? Just tell me I didn't waste my dosh.

So I just bought the game on PSN for like 15€ or something and I hope it wasn't a mistake. The game looks absolutely gorgeous and I am a mild fan of fighting games (played a couple of Mortal Kombats, Soulcaliburs and all Dead or Alive games). Anything I should know before I start? Will I like the game if I liked the ones mentioned? Just tell me I didn't waste my dosh.
1) You didn't waste your dosh
2) You're asking in the game's OT

Anyway, you want advice: do all the tutorials. They're great.

The game consists of:
A fantastic tutorial mode.
Full guide on all the different techniques and system mechanics.
Character specific matchup challenges, where you practice how to deal with certain moves or tactics of all the characters.
Combo challenges for all characters.
Your basic arcade with start and end cutscene, versus, and training mode.
Online modes.
A two part animated 'movie' for the main story mode.
M.O.M mode: a sort of RPG-lite survival mode type thing.
Figure gallery, where you can create little dioramas of different characters and environments.

Unless I'm forgetting anything, these are all the key features of the game.

Gameplay wise it's an anime fighter (obviously), so it's a lot faster paced than the examples you have given. Movement is a key part of the game, and for the most part every character has a double jump and can air dash. It's a pretty technical game, but it's similar to MVC3 in the fact that it looks fantastic in motion, so even if you don't pick it up too well, the spectacle of the fights should keep you entertained.

mcz117chief

1) You didn't waste your dosh
2) You're asking in the game's OT

Anyway, you want advice: do all the tutorials. They're great.

The game consists of:
A fantastic tutorial mode.
Full guide on all the different techniques and system mechanics.
Character specific matchup challenges, where you practice how to deal with certain moves or tactics of all the characters.
Combo challenges for all characters.
Your basic arcade with start and end cutscene, versus, and training mode.
Online modes.
A two part animated 'movie' for the main story mode.
M.O.M mode: a sort of RPG-lite survival mode type thing.
Figure gallery, where you can create little dioramas of different characters and environments.

Unless I'm forgetting anything, these are all the key features of the game.

Gameplay wise it's an anime fighter (obviously), so it's a lot faster paced than the examples you have given. Movement is a key part of the game, and for the most part every character has a double jump and can air dash. It's a pretty technical game, but it's similar to MVC3 in the fact that it looks fantastic in motion, so even if you don't pick it up too well, the spectacle of the fights should keep you entertained.

Thanks, bros :)

Is it a lot faster than Dead or Alive? That game can be ridiculously fast if you know what you are doing. I have actually played Marvel vs Capcom 3 a few times at a friend's house and I really enjoyed it.

I'm glad the game has so much content. Coming from Dead or Alive 5 Last Round it is quite difficult to find a game with as much content.

Thanks, bros :)

Is it a lot faster than Dead or Alive? That game can be ridiculously fast if you know what you are doing. I have actually played Marvel vs Capcom 3 a few times at a friend's house and I really enjoyed it.

I'm glad the game has so much content. Coming from Dead or Alive 5 Last Round it is quite difficult to find a game with as much content.

I'm not super familiar with DoA, so while I can't say if it's faster or not, it's certainly a lot more hectic/more things are going on at once.

There are some DLC characters (two I think, Kum, a new character, and Dizzy,a returning character who was introduced in the second game in the series as it's final boss). There's a 3rd DLC character called Raven, but you can buy him from the in game store with the money you gain by playing the game. I got him free for preordering, but you should be able to get enough by just playing the different modes, watching the story etc. Other than that, the rest of the DLC are online avatar parts and system voices, which I think you can unlock in game, DLC colours, which are only available when you purchase the colour packs, and Elphelt's costume from the previous game, Xrd SIGN, which is available in game, but unlike Raven I think it's down to RNG to unlock it, but you might be able to buy it with in game currency too.

When it comes to character choice, I'd recommend just having a quick look at everyone, maybe go through the first section of their trials to learn their special moves, and see who you like the look of. The game doesn't really have a Ryu/really traditional beginner character as such, so you may as well just jump in with whoever you like the look of most. Some characters have a higher learning curve (some of them being super technical to use), and a few of them have gimmicks that only apply to that character, such as I-No having a dash similar to Morrigan from Darkstalkers, where she lifts off the ground while dashing and can use aerial normals instead of ground ones when doing so. Unless you're going to be using a lot of characters, it's not really an issue though in my opinion at least.

remz

Man Jack-O is such a crazy character design gameplay wise. Trying her out in this reminded me of the first time I played GGXX, and the total weirdness of people like Venom, Testament, and Eddie which were so different to what I was used to from a childhood of Street Fighter

mcz117chief

Finally had the chance to play it. The gameplay is nice and controls seem pretty fluid. I started with Jack O' Valentine. I like her mini ghosts :)

I really like her design, how her hair is blonde on the outside but red on the inside, really nice touch.

mcz117chief

Can someone explain to me how "blast" works? For example when I play Jack O' the blast attack does very little damage. Is there some special mechanic associated with it?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Can someone explain to me how "blast" works? For example when I play Jack O' the blast attack does very little damage. Is there some special mechanic associated with it?

Do you mean Burst? Burst isn't for damage, it's mainly for breaking out of combos, though it does have other uses as well.

I picked up GG yesterday and I want to know what is the idea on the complexity on Elphelt.

Looping unblockables is pretty difficult and takes a lot of practice and memorization/research.

Bulldog gorilla shotgun stance corner pressure is still easy as hell and effective at low and midlevel though

so it all depends on how far you want to take the character

Burst is an attack that does no damage. It's the only attack that can be done out of hitstun though (when the opponent his hitting/comboing you and you can't do anything) as a "get off me" button that hits them across the screen.

When burst is done outside of hitstun(opponent is currently not hitting you) it becomes a gold burst. an attack that still does no damage, but on a successful clean hit it gives you full tension/super meter

Alchemist

You can barely do SF5 combos, good luck trying to play GG.

giphy.gif

mcz117chief

Burst is an attack that does no damage. It's the only attack that can be done out of hitstun though (when the opponent his hitting/comboing you and you can't do anything) as a "get off me" button that hits them across the screen.

When burst is done outside of hitstun(opponent is currently not hitting you) it becomes a gold burst. an attack that still does no damage, but on a successful clean hit it gives you full tension/super meter

All right, and then tension can be used for that "roman block" or whatever it's called and instant kill attacks, right?

All right, and then tension can be used for that "roman block" or whatever it's called and instant kill attacks, right?

Yep. Tension is basically the "energy" of the game. It can be used for 'Faultess Defense' or the green barrier block, 'Overdrive attacks' otherwise known as super moves, and lastly 'Roman Cancels' which are a maneuver that cancels your current action back into a neutral stance so you can immediately perform another. It also introduces the slow time effect.

Instant Kill attacks don't actually use Tension, but it does affect it. When you go into Instant Kill mode your tension begins to slowly drain. and if you perform an instant kill attack and fail you completely lose your tension bar for the remainder of that round

It's....a lot to take in at once. Just try and focus on moving your character for now and gradually try to absorb and retain the information as you play. If you have any other questions on mechanics, feel free to ask.

mcz117chief

Yep. Tension is basically the "energy" of the game. It can be used for 'Faultess Defense' or the green barrier block, 'Overdrive attacks' or super moves or 'Roman Cancels' which are a maneuver that cancels your current action back into a neutral stance so you can immediately perform another. It also introduces the slow time effect.

Instant Kill attacks don't actually use Tension, but it does affect it. When you go into Instant Kill mode your tension begins to slowly drain. and if you perform an instant kill attack and fail you completely lose your tension bar for the remainder of that round

It's....a lot to take in at once. Just try and focus on moving your character for now and gradually try to absorb and retain the information as you play. If you have any other questions on mechanics, feel free to ask.

Nah I understand all that actually, I did the tutorial and did a bunch of command trainings and stuff. The only thing I couldn't grasp was the burst.

One last thing though, dust attacks consume tension as well, right? But you can use them even without tension. Does that mean they do less damage if they don't consume one bar of tension?

Top Bottom