• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUILTY GEAR Xrd REV 2 |OT| Holy Smokes Baiken!

Kikirin

Nah I understand all that actually, I did the tutorial and did a bunch of command trainings and stuff. The only thing I couldn't grasp was the burst.

One last thing though, dust attacks consume tension as well, right? But you can use them even without tension. Does that mean they do less damage if they don't consume one bar of tension?

This is actually unique to just Jack-O, but her attacks using the Dust button do get enhanced when the appropriate tension is available. Only requires 10-15% tension though.

Edit: Forgot to mention, it looks like damage for enhanced and un-enhanced versions are generally the same (exception being the additional fireballs from j.D), but enhanced versions generally start up and/or recover faster.

Pompadour

Nah I understand all that actually, I did the tutorial and did a bunch of command trainings and stuff. The only thing I couldn't grasp was the burst.

One last thing though, dust attacks consume tension as well, right? But you can use them even without tension. Does that mean they do less damage if they don't consume one bar of tension?

Dust doesn't use Tension. You might be thinking of Blitz Attacks.

Edit: nevermind, forgot about Jack-O.

Neutral dust attacks don't consume any tension. Nor do either of the follow-ups. They're just the universal overhead normal button.

This is actually unique to just Jack-O, but her attacks using the Dust button do get enhanced when the appropriate tension is available. Only requires 10-15% tension though.

Ah! I'm learning things as well.

mnemonicj

I can't believe I can search or wait for online matches a-la SFV. Do I always need to go into a lobby and basically play against the same people in there? I can't just randomize my encounters? If not, that sucks.

Arcade sequel will be announced on the 13th then!

Lol

I actually think we have a couple more months before a new version reveal. Which is good. I think the game has the perfect amount of characters right now. Personally I'm not ready for them to drop another 6 into the game.

I also just really like this version and the current version of my character. Hope things stay like this for at least a little while longer.

I enjoyed Xrd but wasn't very good at it. Looking to start playing Revelator soon to switch things up a bit (my SFV addiction still going strong). Is the online community still quite active?

Sayad

Sucks but I wasn't expecting it anyways, wonder if they were trying to get it to work and that's why this release took so long?
Nah, it's the same engine as Sign and that already run fine, it's more likely they want to avoid splitting online community early on , push for more sales on consoles at higher price, avoid piracy early on, etc...

I also think they just like to dump everything on PC, vs giving it periodic updates like console in arcade. So they don't release it until they've done all the major content and balance patches they plan to do on console.

I think that's why it took so long, since Revelator with Dizzy and Figure mode had those kind of updates coming for a lot longer post release than Sign did, which was more or less done shortly after Leo and the arcade balance patch

ArjanN

I also think they just like to dump everything on PC, vs giving it periodic updates like console in arcade. So they don't release it until they've done all the major content and balance patches they plan to do on console.

I think that's why it took so long, since Revelator with Dizzy and Figure mode had those kind of updates coming for a lot longer post release than Sign did, which was more or less done shortly after Leo and the arcade balance patch

Yeah probably that too. To be fair though this is 6 months after the console release, while Xrd was a full year.

Onemic

I can't believe I can search or wait for online matches a-la SFV. Do I always need to go into a lobby and basically play against the same people in there? I can't just randomize my encounters? If not, that sucks.

If you're searching for encounters, it's not limited to the players in the lobby I think.

Deimo5

Is the defense modifier and guts system needlessly complicated or what?
Keep seeing people writing half a page on how health works for beginners.
Or does it make it more interesting?

I'd lean on needlessly complicated. It's nothing that I'm actively worrying about during the course of the match beyond "Oh the 50% combo that I just did to this Chipp is ridiculously misleading as a tally of total hitpoints I've effectively removed from the character".

Sayad

It's one of many mechanics injected into the game to make it more "dynamic" as Daisuke puts it. It's the same with characters having different weights, different face-up/face-down wake up timing, different stun modifiers, etc...
For the health bars, not being sure if you'd get the kill if you spend all your resources, "should I take the gamble or go for a reset" is exactly what they want.

Not a fan of guts, tbh.

NotLiquid

What button configuration are people using for arcade sticks with GG ?
I use the default scheme since its just comfortable for my playstyle (normals and slash in separate vertical rows with dust outside separately on the third). I've tried experimenting with something similar to my Marvel layout (where all normals/slashes are on aligned horizontally the first row while the dust is alone on the bottom row) but its not been too comfortable for me.

Essay

What button configuration are people using for arcade sticks with GG ?

Type A, the original arcade layout. We play a game by Arc System Works after all!

Some OG's in my scene played a non-standard layout for years, but gave it up a year or two ago to switch to the standard Type A arc. The main reason they cited? So they could play +R and Xrd on cabinets if they ever travel.

Personally, as someone who plays fighting games for long stretches, I now avoid box-layouts (like the pad defaults in Xrd, Persona, Tekken and modern KOF). My hand just feels cramped and compressed with my thumb and ring-finger waiting side-by-side on "Short" and "Forward" for so long.

I recommend Type A as well. A lot of people try playing schemes that mirror the logic of Capcom games. ("punches" on top "kicks" on bottom") but I think the original layout makes the most sense logically for how the buttons work in Guilty Gear.

Especially when you get into multi button commands like FD, Burst and Blitz.

It may seem awkward at first glance, but trust me Type A makes the most sense.

JEKKI

awww maaaaan I'm late to this thread but I recently got this game and PS4,

but does any1 ever talk about how pain in the ass the Challege/Combo mode is?!?!?

It's 12:30am right now and I've been stuck on I-No Advance 04 since before 10PM...

I wanted to turn the game off so many times, but instead it's like no one more time, one more time, one more time, etc etc

>_<

grrr so frustrating!

I use Axl so I've managed to beat all his combos, and for some reason Fuast's too...

I've got one left on both Millia and Leo, but most of Sin's seem impossible, and I-No is giving me a lot of trouble despite 04 seeming very doable... yet I just cant get it all to connect >_<

oh, also tried a bit of Elephant too, but stopped at the first tough one to eat dinner, I'll go back to hers later.

and man, my neck is so sore right now from all that :(

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
awww maaaaan I'm late to this thread but I recently got this game and PS4,

but does any1 ever talk about how pain in the ass the Challege/Combo mode is?!?!?

It's 12:30am right now and I've been stuck on I-No Advance 04 since before 10PM...

I wanted to turn the game off so many times, but instead it's like no one more time, one more time, one more time, etc etc

>_<

grrr so frustrating!

I use Axl so I've managed to beat all his combos, and for some reason Fuast's too...

I've got one left on both Millia and Leo, but most of Sin's seem impossible, and I-No is giving me a lot of trouble despite 04 seeming very doable... yet I just cant get it all to connect >_<

oh, also tried a bit of Elephant too, but stopped at the first tough one to eat dinner, I'll go back to hers later.

and man, my neck is so sore right now from all that :(

I don't know about Axl but from what I know of I-no I imagine she's pretty difficult. Raven is another easy one; I imagine Chipp's are a nightmare and Pot's might be semi-easy?

Sayad

What are you supposed to do in I-No's advance number 4?

miku

oh, also tried a bit of Elephant too

Elephant lol

Super tempted to buy this.......

Buy it for
that cute squirrel

E20Zq4F.gif

KiteGr

Tried playing Online for the first time a week ago.
I got mostly destroyed, and when I was about to win a match against a player 20 ranks above me, (low ranks are empty), he requited.

Seeing this game being less active that SF5 breaks my heart.

Tried playing Online for the first time a week ago.
I got mostly destroyed, and when I was about to win a match against a player 20 ranks above me, (low ranks are empty), he requited.

Seeing this game being less active that SF5 breaks my heart.

Checkout the Xrd discord for matchmaking. There's a new player lounge that's pretty active

It's not as convenient as pressing a button and letting SFV find you an opponent, but people of all skill levels are still playing the game.

JEKKI

What are you supposed to do in I-No's advance number 4?
command air throw, 236P, air dash, air S, K, 214S, land, H, jump cancel, air H, 236P, air dash, H, 236P.

basically, there's two air 214S, one that leaves you recovering with a bounce, and another that sends u straight to the ground, u need to be able to get the 2nd one, which I think is achieved by pulling the move off as fast as possible after the air K,

but then it's a miracle if I can pull off the ground H, let alone get it to land, and even then I struggle with the following air combo connecting,

Sayad

command air throw, 236P, air dash, air S, K, 214S, land, H, jump cancel, air H, 236P, air dash, H, 236P.

basically, there's two air 214S, one that leaves you recovering with a bounce, and another that sends u straight to the ground, u need to be able to get the 2nd one, which I think is achieved by pulling the move off as fast as possible after the air K,

but then it's a miracle if I can pull off the ground H, let alone get it to land, and even then I struggle with the following air combo connecting,
Bolded is the problem, you get pushed toward the ground if you do 214S while you still have the momentum from the air dash. So you need to do the whole air dash > j.k > j.S > 214S sequence as fast as possible not just the last part.

Other issue is probably gonna be how high above the ground you're starting the combo after the command grab, delay the 236P a bit after the command grab to make things easier.

Top Bottom