• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar: A Lets Play (and Learn) Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigmaah

Been playing almost a month now, what should I know by now for a months worth of playing you think? Just asking so I know if I'm going about my ways correctly and before I even attempt anything I check online or watch videos on how to properly do something so I don't get bad habits.

My main goal is to just be able to play a lot of thrash metal songs, I really wanna be able to play a lot of slayers stuff. At the moment I can play certain riffs of slayers like the middle part of angel of death (if you know slayer you know what part I am talking about), beggining of epidemic, chemical warfare until it changes up in the middle and raining blood up until it goes all crazy. I should add that I can't play it 100% on point all the time but it's close.

I don't try to just play songs. I also make up my own stuff and use that as a way to practice my playing.

Last thing as well, my strings on my guitar just feel so harsh and hard to move around on (6th 5th and 4th to be more precise), does this mean I should replace strings? I assume so.

--Some bog standard chords: G, A, E, C, D and being able to switch between them kinda ok, i.e., you can mostly switch as needed between them, and your fingers don't mute strings on accident when you do.
--A major scale and minor scale memorized .
--a semi-decent picking technique, i.e., not dropping your pick and starting to be able to hit individual strings when you mean to.

The last one is probably the hardest.

Guitar is a hard instrument to learn at first, but just getting your fingers familiar with the neck is the first major step. Everything else comes kinda easy after that.

What do you mean by your strings feel "harsh"? They're probably a heavier than normal gauge, which is actually a good thing. Many suggest learning on acoustic guitar because it strengthens up your fingers faster for this very reason.

That said, it's probably good to change you strings every 3-5 weeks as they start to go "dead" with regular use. That doesn't really affect how they feel to your fingers, but it will affect how they sound when played.

edit: also, a lot of what I said depends on how much time you're able to devote to the instrument. As a kid, I spent a lot of time switching chords mindlessly while watching TV just to get the muscle memory down.

Sigmaah

--Some bog standard chords: G, A, E, C, D and being able to switch between them kinda ok, i.e., you can mostly switch as needed between them, and your fingers don't mute strings on accident when you do.
--A major scale and minor scale memorized .
--a semi-decent picking technique, i.e., not dropping your pick and starting to be able to hit individual strings when you mean to.

The last one is probably the hardest.

Guitar is a hard instrument to learn at first, but just getting your fingers familiar with the neck is the first major step. Everything else comes kinda easy after that.

What do you mean by your strings feel "harsh"? They're probably a heavier than normal gauge, which is actually a good thing. Many suggest learning on acoustic guitar because it strengthens up your fingers faster for this very reason.

That said, it's probably good to change you strings every 3-5 weeks as they start to go "dead" with regular use. That doesn't really affect how they feel to your fingers, but it will affect how they sound when played.

edit: also, a lot of what I said depends on how much time you're able to devote to the instrument. As a kid, I spent a lot of time switching chords mindlessly while watching TV just to get the muscle memory down.

Thanks for this. I think I got all that down besides the last one of course but I don't know it through the technical terms like youre saying so I deff have to learn it that way.

What I mean by harsh is just that it feels way to hard to slide between chords, like I'll try to slide or switch and I'll get stopped because the strings just don't feel swift. It could be just me (which it probably is) but I dunno, I went into my local guitar shop and felt some of their guitars on display and I'm just like wtf this shit feels so much smoother than what I have.

Thanks for this. I think I got all that down besides the last one of course but I don't know it through the technical terms like youre saying so I deff have to learn it that way.

What I mean by harsh is just that it feels way to hard to slide between chords, like I'll try to slide or switch and I'll get stopped because the strings just don't feel swift. It could be just me (which it probably is) but I dunno, I went into my local guitar shop and felt some of their guitars on display and I'm just like wtf this shit feels so much smoother than what I have.

You're doing pretty good then! I'd say the next thing on the list would be to learn barre chords and become comfortable with them--you won't exactly use them too often in shred metal, but they'll help you understand where the powerchords are going and they'll make you a much more versatile player in the long run.

You probably have .10 or .11 strings on the guitar. At the store, they probably have .09, which would feel much easier, though they have a bit more of a thin sound to them and it is easier to pitch-bend on accident. Basically, if you push too hard, the string will go sharp because of the added tension. Think about it like this, at the store they want the new guitar to feel easy to play--it makes the new purchase seem much more worthy. That doesn't mean their set up is better :)

Basically, the thicker the string, the more tense the action will be. I wouldn't recommend getting less than a .10, though.

The other issue you could be running into is that your guitar is set up wrong, and the strings are higher off the fretboard than they should be. If new strings doesn't fix it, I might look into getting your bridge adjusted lower (depending on the guitar you have, you can probably do that pretty easily)

Sigmaah

You're doing pretty good then! I'd say the next thing on the list would be to learn barre chords and become comfortable with them--you won't exactly use them too often in shred metal, but they'll help you understand where the powerchords are going and they'll make you a much more versatile player in the long run.

You probably have .10 or .11 strings on the guitar. At the store, they probably have .09, which would feel much easier, though they have a bit more of a thin sound to them and it is easier to pitch-bend on accident. Basically, if you push too hard, the string will go sharp because of the added tension. Think about it like this, at the store they want the new guitar to feel easy to play--it makes the new purchase seem much more worthy. That doesn't mean their set up is better :)

Basically, the thicker the string, the more tense the action will be. I wouldn't recommend getting less than a .10, though.

The other issue you could be running into is that your guitar is set up wrong, and the strings are higher off the fretboard than they should be. If new strings doesn't fix it, I might look into getting your bridge adjusted lower (depending on the guitar you have, you can probably do that pretty easily)

Picked up the ernie ball .9 super Silky strings and theyre exactly what I want. Smooth and sounds super clean. I heard ppl dread barre chords but that'll deff be what I practice next once i get switching between strings down some more. Thanks for all the knowledge, can't wait to go heavier and heavier down the road. Wish I picked up guitar sooner! Got a buddy who plays drums and we just wanna create our own shit and just jam.

I copped the strings couple days ago so couldnt cop .10 but will do next time I head to my local shop.

Why do you want to go heavier? Is the type of metal you want to play more of the harmonic-jet-engine chugga-chugga-chugga than the tight pants weeedly-weeedly-weeedly-wheeee? Because it is common wisdom for the latter that you want .008 or .009 on the top.

FWIW, is use .011 in standard tuning but I play clean and I play slow.

Why do you want to go heavier? Is the type of metal you want to play more of the harmonic-jet-engine chugga-chugga-chugga than the tight pants weeedly-weeedly-weeedly-wheeee? Because it is common wisdom for the latter that you want .008 or .009 on the top.

FWIW, is use .011 in standard tuning but I play clean and I play slow.

Honestly, .010s are going to be a good middle ground--right now the thicker strings will help his fingers get stronger quicker. Also, they break a lot less :)

Sigmaah

Doesn't heavier strings give you heavier sound? I swear I watched a vid of a dude saying something like that. I know heavier comes from tuning and the amp as well.

I'm new to all of this so I'm confused as to how to get the sound I want, etc.

I'd like to play thrash metal/deathcore even some power/speed metal type shit.

I'm very satisfied with the sound I have atm so ima just focus on getting better before I worry bout other types of sounds.

Doesn't heavier strings give you heavier sound? I swear I watched a vid of a dude saying something like that. I know heavier comes from tuning and the amp as well.

Yngwie Malmsteen uses .8s and .9s and he has a killer tone, so...

I'm very satisfied with the sound I have atm so ima just focus on getting better before I worry bout other types of sounds.

This is the main thing. You'll be able to control a lot of your tone just by getting better at guitar.

I'd say the main things that affect tone are: The pickups, Amp/pickup setting, the amp itself, the string type, where you pluck the string, the pick you use, the gauge of string, in roughly that order.

If you're going to be down-tuning a lot, you need thicker strings. Otherwise they'll be way too loose.

And tone is what you make of it. Jeff Beck uses 10s and 11s for what it's worth. Mastadon guys use 11s.

In the end, it's going to be what feels best to him, but I don't see 9s being what he wants given that he wants to down-tune.

Doesn't heavier strings give you heavier sound? I swear I watched a vid of a dude saying something like that.

So many guitar players believe a lot of nonsense.

Only sound difference I found going up in gauge was when I played bottleneck, which doesn't apply to you.

Tuning down with little strings will not really work, so that's the other reason to go bigger.

Good! Keep thinking that!

drspeedy

Only in the sense that you'll need heavier strings to down-tune, which a lot of heavier bands do.

Fair point, but I'd also add that slightly heavier E and A strings (Ernie Ball Hybrids, for example) help keep you in tune if you do a lot of palm muting. You can really dig into them without sounting slightly sharp, which a lot of punk/thrash/harder music tends to require to get that 'heavy' sound.

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook. I thought it was worth sharing here:

lKMfDdQ.jpg

Sobriquet

Fair point, but I'd also add that slightly heavier E and A strings (Ernie Ball Hybrids, for example) help keep you in tune if you do a lot of palm muting. You can really dig into them without sounting slightly sharp, which a lot of punk/thrash/harder music tends to require to get that 'heavy' sound.

That's true. I find "light top, heavy bottom" strings work well for both chunka-chunkas and squeebly-deeblys.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Need some help guitar-gaf

So there is no correct tab online for Lemmiwinks (South Park rat who explores a gay mans ass)! Not seeing a correct version on YouTube either. I have the desire to learn this song but can't find the right chords lol. Thought maybe someone here would want to help me figure this shit out? The tabs online where it says to capo the fifth fret and play standard chords seem to be incorrect.

I'm almost positive the first chord starts off on the F# major barre chord. I'm still learning chord names so if I have the name wrong here is a screenshot of the chord I'm using:

F%20Sharp%20Major%201st%20inversion-chord.jpg

I can't figure out where to go from here lol. I just need the chords.

Here is the song for reference - http://youtu.be/OBJ3rkNq2ok

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Anyone know any good finger style songs for acoustic, preferably with tabs?

You talking like a finger picking style? If so I'd suggest dust in the wind by Kansas. There are a few YouTube tutorial vids and of course a lot of tabs online. That's the first finger picking song I learned.

turbocat

Anyone have any recommendations for an acoustic guitar for a begginer?

I want something a little cheap (under 300)

I've found that user reviews have really helped me on stuff like Musician's Friend and some of the other online sites. Of course, this is common sense.

I honestly don't have a ton of experience buying instruments myself, but I would recommend getting something with a built-in tuner, and try and make sure it has electronics (pickup) just in case you ever want to play with an amp. I made the mistake of buying a guitar that was basically just on sale at one point, and while it sounds great, it's missing features (namely a pickup) that I really would like to have now. I'd imagine someone else here will have more sage advice than I.

I've found that user reviews have really helped me on stuff like Musician's Friend and some of the other online sites. Of course, this is common sense.

I honestly don't have a ton of experience buying instruments myself, but I would recommend getting something with a built-in tuner, and try and make sure it has electronics (pickup) just in case you ever want to play with an amp. I made the mistake of buying a guitar that was basically just on sale at one point, and while it sounds great, it's missing features (namely a pickup) that I really would like to have now. I'd imagine someone else here will have more sage advice than I.

I was thinking of getting an electric guitar later once i git gud :p

turbocat

I was thinking of getting an electric guitar later once i git gud :p

Not a bad idea. I started out with an electric and an amp, and didn't learn to play for years. The real catalyst that got me to start playing and to "git betr" was playing Rocksmith on PS3 (namely Rocksmith 2014). Traditional lessons and practice just didn't work for me until I got a little better, but your mileage may vary, of course.

Ezduo

Banned
Anyone have any good resources on scales, keys or soloing in general? I'm getting there with chords but I'm having difficulty figuring out solos since a lot of it is steeped in music theory of which I have zero background. At this point all I've been doing is slowly learning the easy solos I can think of in my music library and noodling with the minor penatonic scale to build up speed and dexterity.

Anyone have any good resources on scales, keys or soloing in general? I'm getting there with chords but I'm having difficulty figuring out solos since a lot of it is steeped in music theory of which I have zero background. At this point all I've been doing is slowly learning the easy solos I can think of in my music library and noodling with the minor penatonic scale to build up speed and dexterity.

Just keep noodling pentatonic. Most non metal solos are in that. Learn some cliches. You'll develop some goto moves. Record your self playing chord progressions or get some jam tracks. I had a jam tape that had some blatant ripoffs of songs I just kept noodeling over until it didn't sound like shit.

WoolyNinja

I bought this guitar a while ago and for < $200 its quite good.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-fg700s-folk-acoustic-guitar

EDIT: I then bought the electric-accoustic version since I wanted to play it through an amp sometimes. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/yamaha-fgx700sc-solid-top-cutaway-acoustic-electric-guitar/h74858000002000
But if you're just playing unplugged the FG700S sounds better than the FGX700SC.

Seagull/Art & Lutherie/Simon & Patrick are all from the same company and are decent for the price.

I would recommend getting something with a built-in tuner, and try and make sure it has electronics (pickup) just in case you ever want to play with an amp.

A great clip on tuner is $20 from Amazon; a tuning app on your smartphone is $1. Acoustic electrics sound like hot garbage and there's typically a premium (even if only $50) in getting that built in over the non-electric version. I think the convenience is worth the premium on a mid-range guitar, but probably not worth it out of a $300 budget.

Shadybiz

I bought this acoustic to keep downstairs in the TV room, so I can mess around during commercials, wife's bathroom/phone call breaks,etc:

Jasmine

I'm really happy with the sound, and I actually think it sounds better than the $250 acoustic-electric that I have. Stays in tune very well, too, and I really bang on that sucker.

That one doesn't have a cutaway for higher frets, though. If you want that, this one is not too much more, and I'm guessing the sound will be just as good.

Clockwork5

Great thread.

How much am I screwing my progress...

Been playing for about a year now (closer to 11 months). Been doing what I mostly just enjoy doing... practicing scale, for hours, every day. Been getting really good playing up an down the neck with a few different scales. My main goal I guess has just been getting super comfortable with the guitar and different techniques (slides, bends, hammer-ons, double-stops, etc). Only thing I've been completely neglecting chords and things of that nature. I can do quiet a few rhythm sections, and I can do a lot of chord changes well enough but probably not as good as I should be able to at this point... it's just not something I'm very passionate about working on. Is this a huge mistake? Should I just suck it up and work on em?

Also getting a 24 fret guitar in the next few months. Will this be a big adjustment from a 22?

Your not screwing up. I imagine, like any guitarist, you too will eventually get bored of practicing the same stuff over and over and will want to try new things and learn different techniques. And when you do, a world full of beautiful chords will be patiently waiting for you.

I will say learning chords and being able to execute them is crucial in playing and understanding arpeggios so you should really learn them at some point.

Anyway, congrats on all of the time you have put into it so far. That is quite an accomplishment! keep it up and you will go far.

Edit: you won't even notice those frets.
Until you need them :)

Varna

Damn. It's really been almost a year since I posted that? Time really does fly.

Unfortunately, since then I've had quiet a few life changing events that have pretty much sucked up almost all my free time (baby, house, new job).

Today was actually the first time in maybe two months I actually picked up my guitar (not that I had much practice time between that post and now anyhow). It's a been frustrating to see how much I've regressed even though a lot of things did stick (basically I'm just not as fast or articulate).

I picked up the Gibson's Learn and Master for guitar and I hope to start going through it really soon. Figured it's a good way to get back into it and hopefully get a solid foundation into chord work.

Started playing again after quitting 3 years ago when I was taking beginner guitar classes back in high school. Bought my first guitar and I'm glad it wasn't so expensive (lefty acoustic/electric guitar).

I pretty much forgot all the chords and have to start over from ground zero, it's going to be a fun challenge.

So I picked up on my very basic learning yesterday. I know a few chords (A,D,E,G,C,F and minor/7 variations). And I feel comfortable moving around from chord to chord, I'm just having trouble really strumming consistently. I have an acoustic guitar and so far, I feel like only strumming with my thumb, I didn't really like using a pic. Is this a bad habit?

Also, what are some good beginner songs?

Is this a bad habit?

No. If you ever want to get into a style that demands it, like bluegrass, you can start then.

Start using your fingers as well as your thumb and after that you can get into fingerpicking.

Just in regards to strumming, using your fingers will allow you to maintain a sound- downstrokes with the flesh of your thumb, upstrokes with the flesh of your finger tips, or downstrokes with the back of your fingernails and up strokes with the back of your thumbnail if you need to get a pick sound.

Mistle

Just in regards to strumming, using your fingers will allow you to maintain a sound- downstrokes with the flesh of your thumb, upstrokes with the flesh of your finger tips, or downstrokes with the back of your fingernails and up strokes with the back of your thumbnail if you need to get a pick sound.
Yep. It may feel really awkward to start with but you kind of just have to keep doing it and it becomes natural. Also good to mix up the two different methods, combining the mellow sound of flesh and the bright fingernail sounds to give your strumming some texture.

I used to use a pick on an acoustic, and once I finally got finger strumming down I never went back. Didn't realise how bright and loud a pick was (which btw isn't bad, great for many styles, but just for me personally I keep the pick for the electric guitar now days).

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Bought my first electric guitar yesterday. A Yamaha Pacifica 120h. Only had an acoustic guitar so far.

Yamaha_Pacifica_120H_BK_E-Gitarre.jpg

It's like the popular 112V, but features two splittable humbuckers. Wonder if that makes this guitar more like a Strat or more like a Les Paul.

Was playing with the idea of getting a real Gibson Les Paul, but I guess I shouldn't spend over 1000 bucks for my first e-guitar...

eot

Banned
God, I really need to start taking lessons or at least do some kind of real practice instead of just playing. I feel like I hit a wall years ago.

barik

God, I really need to start taking lessons or at least do some kind of real practice instead of just playing. I feel like I hit a wall years ago.

I have a similar problem, I think. I used to play a bit (ten or so years ago), picked it up again this year, but it already feels like there's a lot of stuff that I'll never be able to do. Sometimes I'll look at a chord or a tab and it'll take me a full five or ten seconds to get my hands in the right position. Also my hands start to cramp up sometimes, and I start wondering if it's because I haven't played enough, or if my hands just aren't made for this activity? How do you tell the difference?

Tenebrous

I have a similar problem, I think. I used to play a bit (ten or so years ago), picked it up again this year, but it already feels like there's a lot of stuff that I'll never be able to do. Sometimes I'll look at a chord or a tab and it'll take me a full five or ten seconds to get my hands in the right position. Also my hands start to cramp up sometimes, and I start wondering if it's because I haven't played enough, or if my hands just aren't made for this activity? How do you tell the difference?

Try some stretches before you play a single note on your guitar, and don't rush it! Go at a pace that's comfortable, and the rest will come in time.

This should give you enough in the way of stretches.

What is the best site, free or subscription, for reliable guitar tabs?

Strumming patterns are a must. And staff notation would be really really nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom