• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

Took my Les Paul/SG to a luthier* as one of the fret markers popped out. He repaired that, fixed a couple of others, did a setup and intonation, clean and polish, etc. Plays and looks better than ever!

jbs9gpuSYZyREo.jpg

*Larry Smoak, Wooden Wizard Guitars, if you're in the Metro DC area.

Is this vintage or the new SG61 reissue?

How's that trem?

I have a Tweedy SG that's great, but I'd rather a guitar with 57s than BBs, but I don't want to mod the Tweedy and I don't want to get rid of it.

I really really want a cherry SG now. May get the SG Original that's up on AMS.

I was speaking to Sharp about this, but playing electric for the first time in, probably a two years after starting from scratch and really getting heavy into acoustic is so much easier. Electric hides so many damn flaws and is ridiculously easy to play in comparison.

It's actually the opposite for me. I got my start on an acoustic playing with my mom and grand dad's blue grass band. I play similarly on the electric and have to adjust because it just sounds way too sloppy.

It's actually the opposite for me. I got my start on an acoustic playing with my mom and grand dad's blue grass band. I play similarly on the electric and have to adjust because it just sounds way too sloppy.

If you're used to .012/0.013s on acoustic and are trying 0.009s on electric, but bigger strings on.

methane47

Just bought this Douglas Neck Through from Rondo Music on a Wim because the price went down to $100 lol

hadron627fxna5.jpg

Lets hope it comes in good condition.

Is this vintage or the new SG61 reissue?

How's that trem?

I have a Tweedy SG that's great, but I'd rather a guitar with 57s than BBs, but I don't want to mod the Tweedy and I don't want to get rid of it.

I really really want a cherry SG now. May get the SG Original that's up on AMS.

It's a 1963 with the "Les Paul" nameplate, before the SG re-branding. It's a fantastic instrument. It was a gift from my step-father, his original guitar. The side-to-side vibrato is awful. It's too difficult to use, and barely makes sense as an effect anyway.

The solution to any guitar issue is always buy another guitar!

Pickup swap is reversible if you hang onto the originals, and is very straight forward on a SG.

It's a 1963 with the "Les Paul" nameplate, before the SG re-branding. It's a fantastic instrument. It was a gift from my step-father, his original guitar.

Nice! Hope I have kids someday to give guitars to. Keeping my '82 Greco for myself though.

DoctorZ

OK, this might not be the crowd to ask this sort of thing, but I am looking to get a cheap bass guitar as a gift. When I say cheap I mean the cheapest possible as it will probably be only for messing around with/light learning.

The two I am looking at right now are these two.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009K2T5UU/?tag=neogaf0e-20 $100-$120

or one of these

http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa2mnlpb.html ~$100
http://www.rondomusic.com/product6370.html ~$100

Granted they are both probably junk in the eyes of you guys here, but if you had to pick something in the $100 range what would you purchase for someone's child as a gift. They are a complete beginner. Reading around I have seen some good things said about the SX ones, not sure what models though.

I've tried learning guitar a long time ago and gave up because all I could do was hurting my fingers. Yet I've never stopped dreaming of playing the guitar. I even felt like strumming imaginary strings as I listened to my favorite songs, for all those years.

So here I am, considering a purchase. There's a dude on a guitar forum selling his axe:

Ibanez RG1451NC (Prestige) - Price: €400, shipping and case included.

Basswood body
Tight End bridge

V6F neck p/u
RTS mid p/u
V6F bridge p/u

Are the guitar and price decent (my favorite genres are hard rock, metal and shred)?

55998b904093be5ab264f4fd1573df21.jpg
7afd2579e541925c01dd1c38c4566929.jpg
ec35bb63ca53f4320fbc3055abd8d25a.jpg
eb92cb0f1cd201d6a412f4a9f0afd015.jpg
c941049ac33d77fff5124b99cc27078d.jpg
Since the guy with the RGA121 didn't respond I'm gonna buy that one. I can't wait!

OK, this might not be the crowd to ask this sort of thing, but I am looking to get a cheap bass guitar as a gift. When I say cheap I mean the cheapest possible as it will probably be only for messing around with/light learning.

or one of these

Granted they are both probably junk in the eyes of you guys here, but if you had to pick something in the $100 range what would you purchase for someone's child as a gift. They are a complete beginner. Reading around I have seen some good things said about the SX ones, not sure what models though.

I'm not familiar with Legacy, but Rondo is a good company. I always recommend them for beginners. I prefer the blue bass with two pickups that you can control the volume for, so it has a wider range of tone. What is the age/size of the kid? You might look at the short-scale basses, too.

Sobriquet

or one of these

If $150 isn't too much you could get a Squier Bronco Bass.

or one of these

If you can afford it, I would recommend this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/yamaha-rbx170-bass

180 bucks. Great starter bass and will grow with you.

Ordered and SG Original today. 62 reissue, even closer in specs than the CS version they put out a few years back.

AMS and Sweetwater are having ridiculous Gibson prices today. Got my SG Original for 1240. There were some Gold Top Standards going for 1200. Insane.

Got this today! First thing I noticed? Much more red/cherry than some pictures let on. Very nice, deep red with beautiful grain underneath. Guitar sounds great acoustically and plugged in. Action was a bit high so I dropped the bridge and bridge pickup a bit. Will spring for a full setup in a week or so.

Compared to the Tweedy, I believe the SG Original has a 5 degree neck joint, where as the Tweedy has a 4 degree neck joint. The Lyre on each has a slightly different angle/break as well. Where as the Tweedy's is raised a bit more when over the strings, it clips the tip of the switch and knobs when swung back. The Lyre on the Original swings clear but is lower over the center of the body. I may take comparison pics if anyone is interested in seeing for themselves. Nashville bridge on both.

Lyre action is very very smooth, no tuning issues. Seems I get a bit more play with the strings over the Tweedy as well. Both it and the Tweedy have the deeper cuts on the upper and lower bout as well, compared to the Standard.

Neck feels slightly SLIGHTLY thicker than the Tweedy.

I bought a Super Sonic 60 today so I'll have an amp in the next week or so and give them both a good workout.

Now to the issue.

Can't really tell here, but the button is crooked. Yup. Crooked, with the angle pointing upwards. Not by a major amount at all, but in addition to this, you can see where the strap button was screwed into the finish a bit where it doesn't sit flush.

Now, I got this on sale for a great price in the recent Gibson blow out. It's not a major issue, but I'm curious as to what others would do in this situation. eMail AMS and then what? Would they take it back? Would they cut more of the price since it's now "B Grade" even though it was already at a deep discount? Should I suck it up if there's no real danger of the strap slipping off?

If I kept it (and I want to), what would be a fix? Pull the screw, fill it with wood glue, squeeze in a tooth pick, and re drill?

If I kept it (and I want to), what would be a fix? Pull the screw, fill it with wood glue, squeeze in a tooth pick, and re drill?

I once bought a guitar that had a hole but no strap pin at all.

Yes, you could glue in some tooth picks, trim and re-drill. I'd probably leave it alone except for a felt washer to reduce the pressure on the finish.

Nice looking guitars. Saw Derek Trucks rocking a few SGs last week— they were both (all?) red.

I have not played for about 8 years and have decided to get back into it. I started out with a right handed guitar and tough this time I will try a left handed model as I am left handed. But when I went to the shop and tried a LH I could not remember any cords but when I picked up a RH model I could remember some cords. Muscle memory is a weird thing. So now I am going to stick with a RH one and just focus to get the right hand to do the strumming.

I went for a Epiphone SG-400 pro. Did not think I am going to like the cherry colour but if you see it in the flesh and damn is a very nice colour.

jt2Koad.jpg

I have not played for about 8 years and have decided to get back into it. I started out with a right handed guitar and tough this time I will try a left handed model as I am left handed. But when I went to the shop and tried a LH I could not remember any cords but when I picked up a RH model I could remember some cords. Muscle memory is a weird thing. So now I am going to stick with a RH one and just focus to get the right hand to do the strumming.

Lots of lefties play right handed:
Duane Allman, Ritchie Blackmore, Billy Corgan, Steve Cropper, Rik Emmett, Robert Fripp, Noel Gallagher, B.B. King, Mark Knopfler, Gary Moore, Steve Morse, Joe Perry, Paul Simon, Chris Rea, Danny Gatton and Mike Bloomfield.

Makes more sense to me, despite being a right-handed player playing right-handed. I can play slowly when I flip my guitar and use my right hand for fretting, and I'm sure if I had to I would be able to do well at it.

PS: love the username.

--

So: XBox One or Mesa Boogie Express 5:25?

Don't know what amp yet as I am using an iRig HD with my headphones just to get some practise in. I have been going for a week now and its so much fun getting back into it. I also have a guy at the office that want to sell a small practise amp. I will have to test it first and then see what is out there.

Also a nice video about that boogie amp. Sounds awesome

Thanks for the words of reassurance guys

CPCunha

zombie i want to see you rocking one of those amazing SGs... post a video please!

Also, when are you getting yourself a Firebrand one?
"=0)

Nice looking guitars. Saw Derek Trucks rocking a few SGs last week— they were both (all?) red.

The Derek Trucks got a reissue for 2014.... a good 1k cheaper too. I may grab it since it and the Tweedy were same spec.

I wonder if this is a reissue or just old stock.

Got my Super Sonic 60 in and am VERY happy with it.

ed

Maybe it's not cheaper and the price I saw was a misprint. MF has them in for 100 bucks more. Different color.

Found this guy on Youtube that I am using him get up to speed again with the cords and using it to practice progression.

http://www.justinguitar.com/

I had to take the guitar to this shop this weekend and I had fret buzz on the second string. The guy found that the truss rod was a bit on the tight side. A small adjustment and its all sweet.

So, I'm looking at this Ohm Studio on Steam, and it looks pretty awesome. It seems like it makes it quite easy to collaborate with other musicians through a PC. Anyone use this? I'm damn tempted to buy.

--

So: XBox One or Mesa Boogie Express 5:25?

Better late than never - I've owned the Express 5:25 1.10" and now have an Express 5:25+ 1x12" as my grab'n'go... to me, the added flexibility of the Plus model - especially with the boost switch and full graphic - make it worthwhile, and I do prefer the extra depth of the 12" speaker, but if you can get a 5:25 for the price of an Xbone, I'd say go for it, because they're great little amps... My main is a Mesa Mark 5, but I'll grab the Express as often as not for casual things because of the weight and convenience, and it sounds killer...

I know a few lefties who are more comfortable playing with their right as well.

My son's left-handed and plays right-handed guitars ('cause that's what was lying around the house when he picked it up)... and did you ever hear of a left handed piano?

if you can get a 5:25 for the price of an Xbone, I'd say go for it, because they're great little amps...

Well, it would have been $100 more. Got the XBox 180 though. My Trace is working fine and sounds great. I will own the Boogie someday. Thanks for the comments!

did you ever hear of a left handed piano?

Most instruments do not have left-handed variations, but there are left handed violins. Probably depends on how popular they are and the differences between what the hands do— your hands are doing fundamentally the same thing on a piano, flute, sax, etc.

Wonder if anyone markets left-handed trumpets and trombones at a 10% surcharge? :p

I received a nice tin of picks for xmas... 4x different stiffness. The softest one is working really nice to get my stupid hand to strum properly.

Top Bottom