• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

guitar nub, just starting to learn. Got this for xmas.

11594078763_caa3d799d4_c.jpg
11593865395_abb5cd77a9_c.jpg

Nice Epi LP - about a thousand times better than the guitar I had to learn on... Enjoy! :)

Pro Tip: you can take the sticker off the pickguard now.

EVOL 100%

Current setup after a lot of downsizing:

goCT0I8.jpg

Modded J Mascis Jazzmaster (mods: AVRI pickups, roller bridge, tort pickguard)
Loar LH-309
Bugera V5
Turbo RAT

Still thinking of getting rid of the RAT though.

CPCunha

Evol that's one stylish Jazzmaster...
Thinking about getting other distortion pedal or is the distortion on the amp enough?
I recently got myself a Fulltone OCD v4... it is the smoothest distortion i've ever played around... i'm in awe.

EVOL 100%

Evol that's one stylish Jazzmaster...
Thinking about getting other distortion pedal or is the distortion on the amp enough?
I recently got myself a Fulltone OCD v4... it is the smoothest distortion i've ever played around... i'm in awe.

Thanks, I should have switched out the original pickguard (gold) ages ago. Looks much better now. Amp drive is pretty much enough for me these days, since the music I'm writing/playing these days rarely need any effects at all. I'm still holding on the RAT for now just in case, but I really don't use it these days.

Speaking of Fulltone, I had a Fulldrive 2 clone too. It complemented my Loar really well and it was one smooth mofo, but it broke down. It was a good alternative to my RAT since RATs tend to be so harsh. It didn't work well with my Jazzmaster though, it lacked balls.

guitar nub, just starting to learn. Got this for xmas.

11594078763_caa3d799d4_c.jpg
11593865395_abb5cd77a9_c.jpg
Epiphone are making some really nice guitars. Shame I'm not really a fan of the Les Paul design. I have one Les Paul type guitar, a Burny that comes with a Floyd Rose and a Sustainer pick-up. Bloody heavy guitar!

Enron

Banned
Epiphone are making some really nice guitars. Shame I'm not really a fan of the Les Paul design. I have one Les Paul type guitar, a Burny that comes with a Floyd Rose and a Sustainer pick-up. Bloody heavy guitar!

yeah, this bad boy is definitely heavy. Im not an especially big fan of les pauls or anything - the grail for me is a Jetglo Rick 330 but this was 280 bucks, while the rick is like 1500 or more.

I love 'em, favourite type of guitar. My Greco is a bit of a beast too, though. Big wide strap helps a lot.

Sobriquet

He's got several ricks, including a 330.

Ah, OK. FWIW, I love his playing. I tend to gravitate to players like him and Johnny Marr rather than shredders. When you mentioned the 330, Guy Picciotto was the only person I could think of that's famous for using a 330, and only a 330. :)

Enron

Banned
Ah, OK. FWIW, I love his playing. I tend to gravitate to players like him and Johnny Marr rather than shredders. When you mentioned the 330, Guy Picciotto was the only person I could think of that's famous for using a 330, and only a 330. :)

Yup. Johnny Marr is another fave as well.

never quite understood why johnny marr has a signature jag when he played rickenbackers, gretches, gibsons and teles during his time on the smiths

Sobriquet

never quite understood why johnny marr has a signature jag when he played rickenbackers, gretches, gibsons and teles during his time on the smiths

He picked up Isaac Brock's Jaguar and wrote Dashboard. Isaac gave him the guitar and he became obsessed. He's pretty much only been playing Jags since then (2005?). It took five years to design his sig model.

In any case, I got it because I wanted a Jag and it seemed like the best option at the time. Still is IMHO. There are only three (?) current short scale Fenders with vintage neck specs.

*high-five*

Here's my Johnny Marr Jaguar for funsies:

RzPyj.jpg
Oh dear god that is beautiful. I'd kill for a Johnny Marr jag. Always wanted the white one but damn that orange (or whatever cool name it has instead of orange) is sexy. Though I'll always be a jazzmaster guy.

As to why he got a signature of a jag, I believe he said once he started playing them he fell in love and thought they were the only guitars he needed to do everything he wanted to do. He ended up designing and doing a lot of the modifications himself, I think.

EVOL 100%

*high-five*

Here's my Johnny Marr Jaguar for funsies:

[IMfG]http://i.imgur.com/RzPyj.jpg[/IMG]

Jesus Christ that's beautiful.

In a somewhat Jaguar related note I bought a bunch of stuff to modify my Jazzmaster again. In the end I'm going to replace the roller bridge with a Compton Compensated bridge, hack up the pickguard to put Jaguar plates on it and replace the rhythm circuit with Mustang phase switches.

I was already pretty happy with my Jazzmaster but the roller bridge's wrong radius always bugged me and the fact that I had to take off the entire pickguard to make minute adjustments was getting annoying. Also I never use the rhythm circuit so I might as well try something else with it.

EVOL 100%

xxeoapr.jpeg

Looks pretty ugly but it works. I added a killswitch too for the hell of it since there was an empty hole where the volume pot used to be. Bridge hasn't come yet

Sobriquet

Looks all Sonic Youthy. :D

Have you thought about getting a Jaguar pickguard and routing it for JM pickups? I'm not totally sure it will work because the bodies are different, but it might fit with the chrome plates a bit better.

And thanks for the compliments on my JMJ, fellas! I freakin' love that thing.

EVOL 100%

Looks all Sonic Youthy. :D

Have you thought about getting a Jaguar pickguard and routing it for JM pickups? I'm not totally sure it will work because the bodies are different, but it might fit with the chrome plates a bit better.

And thanks for the compliments on my JMJ, fellas! I freakin' love that thing.

I did, but it wouldn't work because it's too small to cover the JM routing. Besides, I'm not confident in my hands' ability to rout a pickup without completely fucking it up.

Even when I was cutting that pickguard I had to melt some of the plastic with a solder because I had trouble cutting it with a saw. Routing would be a nightmare which is why I didn't use a chrome plate for the pickup selector

EVOL 100%

Swapped out the tubes and speaker on my Bugera V5. It used to sound too dark, even with a Tele but now it just shines. It only took me $50, should have done those mods ages ago. Now I can actually hear all the jangly overtones on my JM

Also I switched out the pickup on my Loar. Acoustically it sounded brilliant but the pickup was a disaster. I got a pickup built by a fairly unknown maker called Churchill. It was a gamble but I really liked the results. Now I actually play it plugged in now.

No pics because lol they look exactly the same

On another separate note anybody put a piezo/contact mic on an electric guitar before? Blending the sound of a piezo and the original pickups might be pretty interesting.

Pretty sure I'll be getting a new guitar soon but can't make up my mind on which. There's a few I like around the £700 - £900 price or the JS24p as well, but I'm slowly heading towards getting an American Stratocaster Deluxe HSS.
2345_American_Deluxe_Stratocaster_HSS_MN_Tungsten_US10086607_1.jpg

Thing is it's twice the price of, say, a PRS SE. But is it twice the guitar? I mean, I have a MiM Strat and a Strat Special (which is nearly half the price of this). They play pretty nice. Can I justify getting this too?
Argh, can't make up my mind.

Thing is it's twice the price of, say, a PRS SE. But is it twice the guitar? I mean, I have a MiM Strat and a Strat Special (which is nearly half the price of this). They play pretty nice. Can I justify getting this too?
Argh, can't make up my mind.

Why do you want it? What does it do that you can't do already? If it merely does something better, get it and get rid of the ones it supplants.

Have you played the one you'll buy?

Why do you want it? What does it do that you can't do already? If it merely does something better, get it and get rid of the ones it supplants.

Have you played the one you'll buy?
I was thinking of selling one of my others as it really would'nt be needed if I got the American Deluxe.
What I like about it are the noiseless pickups, the S-1 switch and the general finish of the guitar. I could get a HSS MiM guitar if I wanted as I want the single coils for some songs, but the humbucker when I want more output. But the MiM I have is really only average.
I'm just having to justify the cost because it'll be the most expensive guitar I have purchased.
To be honest it's either this or an Ibanez, probably the JS24p (nearly £300 cheaper). Both distinctively different guitars but I play all kinds of music.
The JS24p isn't made in Japan, it's Indonesian but is supposed to be of comparable quality.
I have played on the Deluxe in a store but not the Ibanez.
I'll decide in the next week.

Hey GuitarGAF, I picked up a Epi Les Paul Special back in November and have been playing pretty much every day since. Really enjoying myself, but I do feel like I want something a little nicer. Not breaking the bank or anything, but I've kind of been interested in picking up an Epiphone SG. I'm just a little confused by the number of models out there and how they differ.

Particularly these two, which both seem to be in my budget:

Epiphone 1966 G-400 Pro
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphon...400-PRO-Electric-Guitar-107605636-i2257297.gc

Epipohone 50th Anniversary 1961 SG
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphon...-Outfit-Electric-Guitar-106872237-i1916486.gc

The differences I can gather are different bridges and different pickups, but I have no real understanding of what kind of difference those actually make. The 1961 comes with a gig bag, but I doubt that alone is worth the $50 premium.

There's also the regular G-400 Pro, but that seems to be identical to the 1966 without as many color options.

And ideas/suggestions?

Enron

Banned
Hey GuitarGAF, I picked up a Epi Les Paul Special back in November and have been playing pretty much every day since. Really enjoying myself, but I do feel like I want something a little nicer. Not breaking the bank or anything, but I've kind of been interested in picking up an Epiphone SG. I'm just a little confused by the number of models out there and how they differ.

Particularly these two, which both seem to be in my budget:

Epiphone 1966 G-400 Pro
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphon...400-PRO-Electric-Guitar-107605636-i2257297.gc

Epipohone 50th Anniversary 1961 SG
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphon...-Outfit-Electric-Guitar-106872237-i1916486.gc

The differences I can gather are different bridges and different pickups, but I have no real understanding of what kind of difference those actually make. The 1961 comes with a gig bag, but I doubt that alone is worth the $50 premium.

There's also the regular G-400 Pro, but that seems to be identical to the 1966 without as many color options.

And ideas/suggestions?

Or you can consider this

G400 with Quilt-top finish in Root Beer for 250 bucks.

Best buy had some nice guitars at one point as part of an experiment of adding magnolia-like substores in certain locations, but for Musical instruments. It didn't take off and a lot of the guitars ended up on the website. They've been clearancing th em of late (my Les Paul Standard you can see at the top of this page was one of them) for crazy cheap. 250 for a 450$ limited edition G400, can't beat that.

Or you can consider this

G400 with Quilt-top finish in Root Beer for 250 bucks.

Best buy had some nice guitars at one point as part of an experiment of adding magnolia-like substores in certain locations, but for Musical instruments. It didn't take off and a lot of the guitars ended up on the website. They've been clearancing th em of late (my Les Paul Standard you can see at the top of this page was one of them) for crazy cheap. 250 for a 450$ limited edition G400, can't beat that.

Huh, that's a nice price, but I think that thing looks downright hideous.

musician's friend has the fender pawn shop mustang special on sale for 549 right now, anyone played one?

really don't need another guitar with my strat and sg but damn, i'd like a third one that i can just fuck around with and place in something like open csus2 tuning

So I got the JS24p in the end. £1019. Very, very nice and came set up well so it needed little work. Pretty hot pick ups and coil tappable too.
A shitty picture...
4pJAtos.jpg

Very happy with it. Got a Chrome Dome pick too and matching strap. Now, if only I could buy some more talent!

Top Bottom