• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

EVOL 100%

Added a pickup behind the bridge on my Jazzmaster

YffApbw.jpeg

The added resonance and overtones are just too good. With a little overdrive and some loose strings it sounds almost industrial

You are on your way to making one crazy tricked out Jazzmaster, and I'm lovin it.

I really wonder how a pickup behind the bridge even sounds. Not something you see too often.

EVOL 100%

Thanks. The pickup has very low input and the effect is pretty subtle unless I actually pick the third bridge, but goddamn is it a good one.

It's sounds like the middle of this and this. More subtle than the former and more pronounced than the latter.

It gets a bit too crazy when I run it through my Rat so I'm thinking of adding a volume pot so I can control it better. All in all I'm very glad I did this mod, it was incredibly easy and cheap to do. I might add a P bass pickup cover over the tailpiece so I don't accidentally play/mute the third bridge too.

I finally made a decent little video of my 12 string: i hate these open gear Gotoh tuners.

Nothing about the tuners in the video, I just changed the strings on it yesterday, and I am now determined that at some point I am going to swap these bastards out. They are murder on my fingers due to how stuff they are. Some little plastic washers that prevent the knob from binding against the frame have fallen off making it even worse. I think a couple of sets of vintage Fender six-in-line will fit, which I know I can get in gold.

Speaking of strings, finally got around to trying a unison third and it is pretty amazing. Really wish there were more prepackaged sets with one. I may use an unused plain third from an electric set next time, it should fit better in the nut and saddle.

Larson 12-string tricone

i need a pedalboard

any of you guys have suggestions?

I've got 2 boss pedals (dd-3 and a super chorus), an mxr phase 90, a rat2, a big muff and a korg tuning pedal so i'll need a decently sized one

TY

Yup. Lawsuit Tokai's. Every LP I've had has been disappointing from a fit and finish standpoint so I've swapped to Japanese LPs. Trying to track down a Greco SG Custom. Saw one a while back and slept on it and missed out.

Chinese made Tokai's have the three screw truss cover and those that are on eBay are definitely made by a Tokai partner. They're nice as well. I'm trying to sell my Tokai Custom at the moment though to fund a trip to Tokyo (for more guitars!).

Chinese made Tokai's have the three screw truss cover and those that are on eBay are definitely made by a Tokai partner. They're nice as well.

There were a bunch of three-screw guitars sold via a Canadian distributor in the mid-'00s that said "Tokai" on the headstock, but weren't (Korean made, AFAIK; similar to Rondo's stuff). On the Tokai forum, these are known as Fakais. Hung out there a lot when I was researching my Greco/Tokai/Navigator/etc LP purchase. Confusing the issue are the legitimate Chinese Tokais. ;)

amazon is selling danelectro dc59s with the modified bridge for 382

i see a lot of people repping the danelectro as a good buy even though they've apparently been made in china for a while now. anyone here played/owned one?

Yeah, I was aware that there were some fakes. There are some Epiphone fakes out there as well.

I like the single cutaway with coke bottle headstock on it's looks. That vinyl lining and stacked controls are a nice thing to have. Hate the pickups though.

They're great. I like the red one a bit more than the Tweedy. Pups are rated the same but the Tweedy has a bit more bite to it than I would prefer.

Tweedy has the more correct tremolo though.

I posted some of these a couple years ago, but never had a pic of the whole group. Been thinking about getting into the 7-string game.

Unrelated but I wanna say that you have a Yamaha PSR-E403 but there's something above the pitch bend that's throwing me off.

Sweet guitars though. It's hard to pick one I like most. Seems like there's a mood for each.

rObit

Banned
Unrelated but I wanna say that you have a Yamaha PSR-E403 but there's something above the pitch bend that's throwing me off.

Sweet guitars though. It's hard to pick one I like most. Seems like there's a mood for each.

Oh, that's just a sticker above the pitch bend. It's actually a YPT-410, which appears to be exactly the same? So good call!

But yeah, thanks! I definitely like having a variety. Pictures never seem to do the Jackson justice, the finish is so deep, it never really comes through in photos.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
I recorded a cover of the Son Volt song Route a few days ago and thought I'd share it here.

Son Volt - Route Full Band Cover(No Vocals)

Equipment used:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul Custom Plus GX
Squier Jaguar Bass
Fender Bronco 40
Egnater Tweaker 40 head
Randall Iso12 iso cab w/GLS Audio ES-57 Mic
Alesis DM5 and pads running Addictive Drums
Behringer x1204usb mixer
Reaper daw

Couldn't quite find the guitar tone I was looking for, but it sounds close enough. I'm also feeling more comfortable behind the drums with every song I do. Considering that I learned everything from Rock Band I think I do alright. Still using the Ion drum set that came with the game too, although modified with more pads.

I recorded a cover of the Son Volt song Route a few days ago and thought I'd share it here.

Equipment used:
Squier Jaguar Bass
Fender Bronco 40
Egnater Tweaker 40 head
Behringer x1204usb mixer
Reaper daw

Couldn't quite find the guitar tone I was looking for, but it sounds close enough. I'm also feeling more comfortable behind the drums with every song I do. Considering that I learned everything from Rock Band I think I do alright. Still using the Ion drum set that came with the game too, although modified with more pads.

Hey man that sounds awesome... really good job with the recording

Thanks. I'm seeing small improvements with every song I do. As you can see from my equipment list everything I use is low end. Just goes to show that even with cheap stuff you can make decent demos.

I have picked up the guitar after about 9 years and its so nice to see improvements every night I practise. Still far to go but at least I can bosh out a few strumming songs. Keep up the demos

Enron

Banned

Equipment used:
Squier Jaguar Bass
Fender Bronco 40
Egnater Tweaker 40 head
Behringer x1204usb mixer
Reaper daw

I'm a big son volt fan, that was great! What do you mean "limited vocal range"? Can't be any worse than Jay Farrar!

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
I'm a big son volt fan, that was great! What do you mean "limited vocal range"? Can't be any worse than Jay Farrar!

Not to drag the discussion down, but I have emphysema so it make singing really hard. I might be able to break the song down into small parts and just record little snippets, but I haven't tried that way yet. Even then my singing voice sounds thin even on my best day.

Enron

Banned
Not to drag the discussion down, but I have emphysema so it make singing really hard. I might be able to break the song down into small parts and just record little snippets, but I haven't tried that way yet. Even then my singing voice sounds thin even on my best day.

D:

sorry :x

I started playing last summer but I've really got into it and I've been told I've picked it up really fast. I did have some experience playing acoustic in middle school(I'm 22 now) and I played piano for like 8 years before getting out of it due to the crazyness of life, so I have some music in my past. Like I said I've picked it up quickly and have been playing in my church band for about two months(very contemporary music with a lot of electric guitar, not what you typically think of when you think of church music). Anyway these are my guitars,

The one on the left is a 2012 Epi Les Paul I bought about a month ago. I know Epiphones aren't Gibson quality, but they are incredibly good for the price. Other guitar players I know have told me LPs are heavy, but after starting with a Strat, I prefer the weighty feel of the LP. I love the color of the LP as well, it's just an all around awesome guitar. Sounds great, and is really nice for old school Metallica and stuff like that.

The acoustic is an Epiphone Masterbilt. I don't know much about it because it was a gift from a my guitar teacher/homie but it sounds really good. It had some buzz problems when I first got it but after adjusting the truss rod that is all fixed. I prefer playing electric, but the acoustic has really helped me with my rhythm.

The last one is my MIM Fender HSS Strat. It's a solid guitar and the one I ended up buying when I started playing because I didn't want to waste $200 on a starter guitar. The neck is thinner and not as wide as the LP, which I don't like, and I've had some issues with the G string buzzing a lot but with an amp you can't hear it. I've exclusively used the humbucker pickup because I don't like the sound from the single coil pickups. Despite my issues with it, it's a solid guitar. I've played plenty worse.

I'm thinking about maybe picking up an Epi ES-339 sometime this year because I really liked a Dot one of my homies has but the 339's smaller body has me considering that instead. I know the sound isn't as heavy as a LP so I'm wanting it to use in church and mainly use my LP for playing metal at home(weird combo of music I know). Anyone have any experience with the Epi ES-339s?

Yasawas

I've been playing 20 years this year yet bizarrely I only own two guitars and neither of them is anything especially interesting. I love them though and that's what counts. One is a mid-90s standard Strat which originally came with a humbucker I hated, black/white is kind of dull too. I killed two birds with one stone a few years ago when a local shop was clearing out pre-fitted Wilkinson scratchplates, love the way it looks now. Also it was the guitar I played through most of my dumb years so it's covered in wee dings and stories, I could never part with it.

So delighted was I with my Mexican Fender experience I bought a Tele in 2004 but I was disappointed with it. Unemployed and unable to afford anything better I saved up to buy small upgrades every few months and improved it hugely - proper Tele bridge, Bare Knuckle pickups, new scratchplate, deluxe Fender locking tuners. Very happy with it now, sounds great through my wee Vox AC4.

A big part of the reason I only own two guitars is the money I spent buying pedals for about ten years until I finalised this thing. Took a lot of time and money to figure out the sounds I really needed, and the devices capable of giving them to me. I wasted a ton on fancy modulation when all I really need to be me is quality dirt and delay but I had a hell of a time and it was a fun journey. I love tremolo but the moment the VB-2 became available as a fancy something extra was the day I knew my board was complete, haven't updated it in four years now.

Added a pickup behind the bridge on my Jazzmaster

YffApbw.jpeg

The added resonance and overtones are just too good. With a little overdrive and some loose strings it sounds almost industrial

Stunner.

I need therapy.
Just ordered another guitar. Went for a 7 string for the added low range. I was considering getting a baritone Ibanez - RGIB6 Iron Label but decided against it. Instead I went for the RGIX27FEQM. Looked great and felt nice. Will take time to get used to the extra string but it wasn't too alien.

A pic
xl_454b4614-64ac-43f3-8a33-6d4fc0ec2caa.jpg

I need therapy.
Just ordered another guitar. Went for a 7 string for the added low range. I was considering getting a baritone Ibanez - RGIB6 Iron Label but decided against it. Instead I went for the RGIX27FEQM. Looked great and felt nice. Will take time to get used to the extra string but it wasn't too alien.

A pic
xl_454b4614-64ac-43f3-8a33-6d4fc0ec2caa.jpg

I was considering that model, too. Unfortunately, the abalone binding is a dealbreaker. It makes any guitar look horrible.

Yasawas

I impulse-bought a JMJM yesterday. I've been wanting a Jazzmaster for nearly 20 years now but at my limit of £1,000 none of the models available really do it for me and the AVRI is a bit too steep. I was almost too snobbish to try a Squier but I'm glad I did, sounds great, looks unique* and the neck is a belter. A lot of guitar for the money anyway, really enjoying it.

* I've never understood why I only ever see the Mexican ones in black and sunburst. Gimme some blues, oranges and greens Fender please. I've seen shell pink online which looks great but I think it's a limited run or old stock as they never have them in my local places.

JABEE

What is the best value guitar that Gibson sells? I've been reading about the LPJ's but a lot of people say they aren't the same as the others. I want to get a guitar for under $1000.

I'm currently playing mostly acoustic with my Fender CD60CE Cutaway acoustic guitar. I also have a Fender Squier and an Ibanez RG 250 DX (messed up tuning).

I picked playing the guitar back up after 5 years of not playing. I know how to play a lot of chords and I can play notes, but I'm still having trouble figuring out power chords as opposed to traditional chords.

Which guitar do you think would be best within the Les Paul family? I have also been thinking about just getting one of those Taylor GS Minis to mess around with? Any suggestions?

I impulse-bought a JMJM yesterday.

Love the gold on white look.

What is the best value guitar that Gibson sells? I've been reading about the LPJ's but a lot of people say they aren't the same as the others. I want to get a guitar for under $1000.

Best value guitar under $1000? Don't buy a Gibson; not a new one any way.

Gibson can still make an amazing guitar, and rarely makes a bad one, but good or bad they're very expensive and low value. Go into a store and try all the guitars that look remotely interesting that you can afford. If your favourite is a Gibson then by all means buy it.

If you have a guitar that plays well and you want to sound good, I'd spend $200 on pickups and $800 on an amp.

Dilli666

I've bought a LPJ 2013 this week and it was only 500€ as they're seem to selling them off for the newer 2014 models. I'm really digging its warm and bulgy sound.
In the previous week I've bought a Schecter C-1 which certainly had a better built quality but sounded like ass (probably due to the EMGs). I returned the Schecter right away and bought the Gibson after a few recommendations.

I was considering that model, too. Unfortunately, the abalone binding is a dealbreaker. It makes any guitar look horrible.
I don't mind the abalone myself. The guitar I would have got if I had the money was the RG927QMZ but it was just a little too much. If I get on well with 7 string guitars I might sell one of my others and get this next year.
RG927QMZ_RDT_1P_01.png

EVOL 100%

I impulse-bought a JMJM yesterday. I've been wanting a Jazzmaster for nearly 20 years now but at my limit of £1,000 none of the models available really do it for me and the AVRI is a bit too steep. I was almost too snobbish to try a Squier but I'm glad I did, sounds great, looks unique* and the neck is a belter. A lot of guitar for the money anyway, really enjoying it.

* I've never understood why I only ever see the Mexican ones in black and sunburst. Gimme some blues, oranges and greens Fender please. I've seen shell pink online which looks great but I think it's a limited run or old stock as they never have them in my local places.

Good buy. The neck really is the best part of those guitars. Squier's more expensive guitars have incredible quality these days. I've only heard good things about the Classic Vibes in particular.

Update on my own JMJM

2NNxAeR.jpg

Got the Compton titanium chambered bridge on there a few weeks ago.

It's a definite improvement on the roller bridge I had on it. The titanium brings out some very strange, chimey frequencies out of the strings which makes the guitar sound deliciously clangy with the pickup behind the bridge picking out all the harmonics too. It also made my guitar so resonant, it made some loose screws rattle at first. Such an awesome little bridge.

I decided against getting the P-Bass cover on the bridge, there's a limit to these kinds of things. I might get swap out the Fender '62 pickups for the new '65 pickups which are coming out soon, but that's for the future. For now, it's pretty much perfect.

rObit

Banned
Got myself an Agile Septor 727 to get into the 7 string game. I can't express how happy I am with the quality of this thing for a $350 guitar. It really kicks ass.

Pics are huge and blurry, don't bother blowing them up.

Top Bottom