• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Extreme VS Full Boost |OT| 3x Better Than Your Favorite Fighting/Mecha game

Jaeger

Ok, went ahead and went physical. A seller on eBay had one priced at $69 NEW, which was cheaper w/ free shipping than PSN.

Thanks for the help. I'll join you all in a week once it arrives.

BKhqpnz.jpg

Ok, went ahead and went physical. A seller on eBay had one priced at $69 NEW, which was cheaper w/ free shipping than PSN.

Thanks for the help. I'll join you all in a week once it arrives.

I cannot wait for Gundam The Origin anime to be announced. As much nostalgia is involved in the old anime, its one from the early 1980s where the animation isn't that good.

Seeing RX-78-2 and Char's Red Zaku in HD is going to be amazing.

andymcc

Banned
I cannot wait for Gundam The Origin anime to be announced. As much nostalgia is involved in the old anime, its one from the early 1980s where the animation isn't that good.

I think it's a lot more charming than flat looking digitally colored scenes and ugly low-res CG mech fights.

Going after that top tier 'stache. My lil' bro is also 8. I should introduce him to gundam but I don't know which one to start with. It has to be english dubbed as he can't read english fast enough, plus the show can't be risque, so that eliminates the original. Maybe G Gundam?

Maybe Unicorn? I'm only up to Ep3 but so far nothing objectionable other than some blood violence.

Need to stop playing Lightning Returns and get back into this :|

I think it's a lot more charming than flat looking digitally colored scenes and ugly low-res CG mech fights.

Read "charming" but old and made of cardboard. Besides not all series are Gundam Seed/Destiny where frames and panels are reused every episode.

Maybe Unicorn? I'm only up to Ep3 but so far nothing objectionable other than some blood violence.

Need to stop playing Lightning Returns and get back into this :|

Umm no, definitely not Unicorn. I don't remember where they say it but
Marida being a sex slave is mentioned. Also some stuff happens that I vaguely remember that isn't child friendly
Dammit Namco/Sunrise hurry up with the next episode, I'm already forgetting the plot.

G Gundam and Build Fighters are probably the most kid friendly shows in the franchise. Though in G Gundam I believe Rain
has a nudie moment when Devil Gundam steals her away and that one Russian girl fighter.

Gundam Wing is pretty tame and has no nudity except Trieze in a rose bath or some crap like that.

Gundam 00 has no nudity from what I remember but the violence level is pretty high.

Seed and Destiny is a big no with the openings it has and Meer's lewdness.

Dunno about the rest. Zeta and ZZ might have had some moments but its slipping my mind.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Oh man. I'm playing so much better now. I can actually do shit with my fightstick. Having said that I'm still getting rocked by certain veterans. I think I like Providence but I hate the melee moves on providence. Ugh.

Shouta

SCR's brackets are up

http://challonge.com/scr2014_exvsfb_pool1
http://challonge.com/scr2014_exvsfb_pool2
http://challonge.com/scr2014_exvsfb_pool3
http://challonge.com/scr2014_exvsfb_pool4

There are 4 teams that did not register correctly that we are waiting to hear back from still. If they fix their stuff then we'll have a total of 25 teams.

Nice! Gonna be watching this the entire time, I think. =o

It's been a few days but I was planning on writing something up about Front/Back for the new players. I was busy with a few things at the end of last week so I couldn't but I should have some time today.

Shingin

What are the stage select rules?
As of right now its random select, I sent out emails to everyone who has paid for a spot to have them reply to me with Side 7 only or Random select. If side 7 gets 22 votes or more i'll switch the rule.

If you know someone who's registered and hasn't replied back to my email please remind them it'll make my life easier.

Beckx

Cool, I hope it rocks random select. Great opportunity to showcase the game to people, so let em see all the variety.

As of right now its random select, I sent out emails to everyone who has paid for a spot to have them reply to me with Side 7 only or Random select. If side 7 gets 22 votes or more i'll switch the rule.

If you know someone who's registered and hasn't replied back to my email please remind them it'll make my life easier.
I agree that it should be like Premium Dogfight where it's random select as well. Handle dat.

Shouta

I agree that it should be like Premium Dogfight where it's random select as well. Handle dat.

I think PD was all Side 7 last year but pretty much all of the other PDs up until now have been random stage select.

Honestly, the only stages that present a problem in the game are the Extreme ones and maybe the Colony Laser stage. Otherwise, pretty much all the other stages are large enough and have been redesigned to make them varied without having ridiculous obstacles. It adds a lot to the game without obstructing players very much. Most won't be playing units that would suffer either too so.

In the case of the Extreme stages, just let them re-random if it pops up, otherwise let everything else rock.

Shouta

Bleh, got busy at work but I'll do a short breakdown.

There are two major ways to approach working as team in the game. One is to set roles (i.e. front/back) and the other is to not assign roles which is often what happens in shuffle games or free for alls. Both have their positives and negatives but generally, assigning roles is far more effective as there's a clear understanding of what needs to be done and who is managing what on the battlefield. It provides a general guideline for dealing with situations in the game as you face them whereas by not assigning a role, it can be quite a scramble. To split it a bit more in-depth

Assigned Roles -

Front: The player who takes on this position is the "forerunner" of the pair. They're the one usually being the aggressor for the team, taking damage, and helping to create/force damage situations though this will vary based on team comp and player style. They're the ones initiating contact with an opponent and are usually leading the pair during a fight. In general, they're the ones that want to be killed first to prevent a bad overcost situation as they're in the position to take more damage and to keep the attention of your opponents.

Back: The player with this role is the support of the group and follows their partner up in battle by helping them out during a bad situation (like getting melee'd) and to grab damage when presented with the chance They want to be taking as little damage as possible while doing this to keep the team stable and to prevent an over-cost situation.

No Assigned Roles -

In this case, the players will usually act as independent entities and change their gameplan on the fly to adapt to the situation. There isn't a front or back player explicitly and their movements, from a team perspective, will be all over the place. For these reasons, it's generally a very volatile play-style. With no clear person focusing on not taking damage, they can easily be overcosted. They can also be easily preyed on without a lot of discipline from the individual player because there's no guarantee that the partner is looking to cut or protect their partner, etc. This is not to say that you can't play without assigning roles but the amount of synergy between players and the skill required makes it a tough call for most teams. You'd basically have to both outplay the enemy team overall. It's certainly possible but not a good style of play for most people.

There are no set character arche-types that require you to play in either style, FYI. Even a God Gundam can be a back but it would require them to focus on dodging and looking for opportunities to get someone in the back. Like--wise, a team composed of two shooting units will have a "front" unit still that despite focusing on running away, can take a few more risks to get the damage they need.

That's kind of a simple explanation, so if anyone has any questions, please ask. It's a little easier to answer a specific question than to ramble on, heh.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
And awesome. Get the kids in bed, everyone's asleep, head down to join the GAF battles and....power goes out. FML

Good call, this is the final straw. I can take losing all the food in the fridge but not my Gundam.

I read all your posts as if I'm reading the struggles of modern day Ramba Ral

I've been getting really impatient lately. I'm rushing in when I shouldn't, I'm running out of boost constantly, and I'm firing all over the place. I've become to complacent, I need to go back into hiding and find myself again.

Astarte

I don't know what to do when someone is rainbow cancelling his way towards me. I just hit the panic button, which consists of facerolling my fightstick until I either die or get out of the situation. Aw yeah bad habits!

I don't know what to do when someone is rainbow cancelling his way towards me. I just hit the panic button, which consists of facerolling my fightstick until I either die or get out of the situation. Aw yeah bad habits!

If he's coming straight you can block. I think stepping cuts tracking so that might work, not 100% sure on that though. If you have a nice attack that comes out fast and straight that's a good counter too. When I'm Strike Noir, for example, I usually just fire my sub-weapon and boost dash cancel backwards or something and it will beat out most melee attacks.

But it's really something you just get a feel for and a lot of units have their own solutions for dealing with it. I'm not very good at avoiding melee attacks but I've gotten better at not getting hit by units just rushing in straight at me.

I'm terrible at fighting Unicorn lol. I got destroyed by a guy using him tonight.

Top Bottom