• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guwange (XBLA) |OT|

Yes Boss!

Daigoro said:
I see. Yeah its really nothing like Raiden. Way more like a Cave style game. With some weird mechanics differences.

Fun game though. And hard as shit.
How hard? Comparing to something like Espgaluda II or Ketsui or Dodonpachi DOJ?

Just kinda curious what I'm up against.

Also, if anybody wants to add me for leaderboards my gamertag is Nanaqupina

hipgnosis

Yes Boss! said:

Well definitely not as hard as DOJ, can tell you that much. :D

GhaleonQ

hipgnosis said:
If this sells well, I'm sure we'll see more Cave titles on XBLA. This is a an experiment to see how well Cave games sell on the XBLA, so support this one!

DoDonPachi next please!

Now, if only they'd release them on disc. *Guwange is his favorite Cave shoot-'em-up*

Yes Boss!

Tokubetsu said:
Is this the one with the spider baby boss? I played this some years ago.
Found this image earlier when I was searching for the acheivements.

6b6b37b4.jpg

RickA238

That DDP DFK premium theme in the OP is hot shit. Where did you get that, and can I use it on my US 360?

hipgnosis said:
If this sells well, I'm sure we'll see more Cave titles on XBLA. This is a an experiment to see how well Cave games sell on the XBLA, so support this one!

DoDonPachi next please!

I would play Dodonpachi on XBLA an unhealthy amount. I MAME it like crazy as it is.

Tokubetsu

Buying regardless. Need more shooters on XBLA. I must be one of the handful of people who own Trigger Heart Exilica because of this policy :lol

Hopefully Dodonpachi is next.

Soon as my 800 points from the October promotion come in I'll be picking this up. We'll see how I like it as I've never played a Cave shooter before.

Tain

But Triggerheart is a legitimately good game!

I've never been much of a "support the cause" kinda guy with this stuff, though. I haven't bought the bad XBLIG shooters, and I don't think I'd buy the iPhone Cave shooters even if I had the hardware.

danmaku

Yes Boss! said:

Also, if anybody wants to add me for leaderboards my gamertag is Nanaqupina

I'd say it's comparable to Dodonpachi, definetly not as hard as Ketsui or DOJ. Anyway, some people find difficult to switch their focus between the main character and the spirit and say it's harder than DDP. Scoring is a different beast, though. You have to keep the chain running for the whole game, the timing is not as strict as DDP but still a single tiny mistake will fuck up your run.

Speaking of scoring, the arcade version has been counterstopped. I wonder if Cave altered the score counter in this version to fix the problem or not (probably not, considering how paranoid their fans are with "arcade perfect" ports).

I don't get this game. How am I supposed to control both the wolf thing and avoiding the bullets at the same time? Especially as the wolf is reset every time I let go of the shoot button.

hipgnosis

Bonfires Down said:
I don't get this game. How am I supposed to control both the wolf thing and avoiding the bullets at the same time? Especially as the wolf is reset every time I let go of the shoot button.
Don't hold the spirit out there all the time, try to focus it on enemies that shoot lots of bullets so you can maximize the bullet cancel.

Yes Boss!

danmaku said:
I'd say it's comparable to Dodonpachi, definetly not as hard as Ketsui or DOJ. Anyway, some people find difficult to switch their focus between the main character and the spirit and say it's harder than DDP. Scoring is a different beast, though. You have to keep the chain running for the whole game, the timing is not as strict as DDP but still a single tiny mistake will fuck up your run.

Speaking of scoring, the arcade version has been counterstopped. I wonder if Cave altered the score counter in this version to fix the problem or not (probably not, considering how paranoid their fans are with "arcade perfect" ports).
Very cool! I'm up for a challenge. Leaderboards are going to be fun on this one because everyone will be on it.

I've been playing Espgaluda II for the last month and just recently made it to stage 4. I might not be the best but slowly and surely I'm getting better and better at Cave games.

Some real treats on Guwange with the special 360 Controller and Blue modes. I love when Cave puts these other modes in.

I'm devoting November and December to Guwange. I'll tackle Daifukkatsu next year (but will check it out, of course...and get that new theme!)

Please feel free to add me on XBL, Gamertag is RoryDropkick.

I definitely want to see if there are some good strategies on this game too, I understand catching the bullets and then blowing up their source to score more points, as well as keeping the combo meter chained but... is there more to it than just those two things?

Just throwing it out there.
Farthest I can get is the stage 5 boss.
The difficulty makes a dramatic jump from the end of stage 5 to the end of the game. The final stage is just a nightmare and the final boss has like a half-dozen forms and one of those fuck-off final forms where bombs are useless.

It's good fun for the most part though, unless you're playing for score.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
The main reason I like Guwange is because it's one of the few Cave games that have actual level design where the environment is a factor in the gameplay. You have more to think about than just you and the bullets.

Hunahan

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Just throwing it out there.
Farthest I can get is the stage 5 boss.
The difficulty makes a dramatic jump from the end of stage 5 to the end of the game. The final stage is just a nightmare and the final boss has like a half-dozen forms and one of those fuck-off final forms where bombs are useless.

It's good fun for the most part though, unless you're playing for score.
This is my primary complaint about Cave games (and arcade games in general, I suppose).

The end-of-game difficulty spike usually remains insurmountable for me - if not from a reflexes perspective, then one of interest or time.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'll probably pick this up, but I really wish it was a disc release (I know that sounds fucking stupid and weird).

simtmb

Completely forgot about this release. It's one of my favorite Cave titles but definitely the least played for me.

Something that will get me to jump on XBL more often :lol

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Can't freakin' wait. I was prepared to drop $4-500 on the PCB, and then the XBLA version got announced. I don't have anywhere near enough time to devote to the game right now, thakns to law school, but whatever.

hipgnosis said:

DoDonPachi next please!
This!

danmaku

RoryDropkick said:
Please feel free to add me on XBL, Gamertag is RoryDropkick.

I definitely want to see if there are some good strategies on this game too, I understand catching the bullets and then blowing up their source to score more points, as well as keeping the combo meter chained but... is there more to it than just those two things?

Advanced scoring requires milking stage 2 and 3 bosses, the legs of the centipede and one of the attacks of the spidercat give you a lot of coins so expert players try to keep them alive as long as possibile to loop those patterns over and over again. It's crazy hard because with every loop the difficulty increases but that's how SWY counterstopped the game.

danmaku said:
Advanced scoring requires milking stage 2 and 3 bosses, the legs of the centipede and one of the attacks of the spidercat give you a lot of coins so expert players try to keep them alive as long as possibile to loop those patterns over and over again. It's crazy hard because with every loop the difficulty increases but that's how SWY counterstopped the game.

Crikes.. definitely some higher level play then. I can only get to stage 4 if I dont think about doing any sort of major scoring. Same thing happens to me in DDP, I can get to stage 4 or 5, but only with a total score of about 13.5 mil. Sadly chaining goes out the door pretty fast for me :(

danmaku

RoryDropkick said:
Crikes.. definitely some higher level play then. I can only get to stage 4 if I dont think about doing any sort of major scoring. Same thing happens to me in DDP, I can get to stage 4 or 5, but only with a total score of about 13.5 mil. Sadly chaining goes out the door pretty fast for me :(

Chaining is much easier than in DDP games, though. The skull meter refills every time you kill an enemy and drains quite slowly, so it's quite easy to keep the chain once you know the level layout. I can chain until stage 3 boss and even 4 (in my best run so far). Milking is required only for top-level scores, but overall playing for score is much easier than in DDP; that's why I prefer Guwange's system.

danmaku said:
Chaining is much easier than in DDP games, though. The skull meter refills every time you kill an enemy and drains quite slowly, so it's quite easy to keep the chain once you know the level layout. I can chain until stage 3 boss and even 4 (in my best run so far). Milking is required only for top-level scores, but overall playing for score is much easier than in DDP; that's why I prefer Guwange's system.

Ok, so I guess I am doing things "right" for acquiring a higher score per se. Now to just work on roping in the bullets while still keeping a chain. Another thing I was not too sure about was using regular shot vs. using the the option.

Tain

augh where is it i want this

I'm pretty sure the games don't go up for another three hours though. :/

Yes Boss!

3:30am PST at the latest from what I've heard.

That puts it around noon my time. I'll definitely be taking an extended lunch today :lol

I'm curious om the achievments. I usually only get 300-400 on Cave games. Wondering if the full 200 might be doable...probably not.

Daigoro

Yes Boss! said:

That puts it around noon my time. I'll definitely be taking an extended lunch today :lol

I'm curious om the achievments. I usually only get 300-400 on Cave games. Wondering if the full 200 might be doable...probably not.

Yeah doubtful. Cave engame achievements are usually as brutal as the end of the games themselves.

I've said it before, but I love the theme, music, and attract/into screens for this game so much. I've played this game in MAME a bunch of times and I find it really charming.

Absolutely can't wait to get home in the morning and drop 800pts on this game.

Thanks cave!

Tokubetsu

Yes Boss! said:

*Mandatory 1cc Bullshit Achievement That You'll Never Get*

lol wow... I've seen this game talked about a lot and I never bothered trying to read its' name till now

I always thought it was pronounced something like "gun"+"ownage" = "guwnage" ... not "gu wan ge"

yay dyslexia! :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
shattyboombatty said:
lol wow... I've seen this game talked about a lot and I never bothered trying to read its' name till now

I always thought it was pronounced something like "gun"+"ownage" = "guwnage" ... not "gu wan ge"

yay dyslexia! :lol

It helps a lot if you can read Japanese. Then there's no debate. :lol

Daigoro

I really want Donpachi and DDP as well.

Speaking of which, why the hell is that completely non-Gwuange related wallpaper still in the op? (are you planning on buying the game Shard or was it just an irresistable urge to make the op? Just curious.)

Daigoro

don't matter either way really.

And there will still almost assuredly be at least 1 achievement that's practically impossible for most of us to get anyway.

manzo

NOT THE BEST DAY TO BE WORKING AT HOME. :(

Urge to leave desk to open Xbox rising.... RISING.... >_<

Edit: caved in (pun not intended), but it's not yet up in Europe. WTF? Oh well, gonna grab it from the US marketplace

Top Bottom