• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guwange (XBLA) |OT|

hipgnosis

Oh fuck this shit, my Xbox won't connect to live. Maybe it can't handle the awesomeness of this game.

Any first impressions? How are the new modes?

Downloaded and played through arcade mode twice. First off, I can't believe I'm playing a Cave game on 360 and it only cost me 800 MS Points instead of the usual £50-£55 :p Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu in a few weeks will get me back to normal!

Anyway, very enjoyable. The mechanics make it feels a lot different from the usual Cave fare and in a good way. The last couple of levels really demand that you master it though as you have enemies and bullets in front, behind and at each side! On that note, there's a gradual difficulty increase and it feels about right. No option to change from the standard difficulty either from what I can see.

So yeah, so far so good! Really hoping this sells well and Cave bring more older releases to XBLA.

Yes Boss!

Strangely, I get a Nam 75 vibe off this one. Kinda a weird comparison but the gameplay feels like a top-down version of that game, in a way.

Bah, I couldn't restrain myself. I just bought it from the marketplace URL. Will download the second I get home! I mean, I was going to get it as soon as I got home anyway, but this saves time :lol

Princess Skittles said:
Either that or for beating some nutty secret boss while blindfolded and using the analog stick.

Does the game use Kinect to make sure you're blindfolded? :lol

Bought it this morning and watched a few replays off my friendslist before I play it for myself.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
So when I get my 800 point refund, I bought Super Meat Boy, Gwunage, and Rez HD all for 1600 points, which I paid half price for. 10$ ^_^

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
shintoki said:
So when I get my 800 point refund, I bought Super Meat Boy, Gwunage, and Rez HD all for 1600 points, which I paid half price for. 10$ ^_^
I'm bookmarking this post for when people whine that MS/Nintendo points are stupid. <3

jbueno

I woke up and first thing I did was go to my Xbox to buy the game, but the damn thing couldn't connect to XBL! So I continue with my morning routine, then gave it another try before leaving for work, and I finally bought it and left it to download.

Can't effin' wait to get home and try it out, though it is kind of disappointing that there is no scanline option since I'll be playing on a VGA monitor on TATE.

MjFrancis

I've picked up quite a few XBLA games recently. Just bought Super Meat Boy for 800 points before the price goes up later this month, picked up Scott Pilgrim yesterday to take advantage of the 400 points sale this week, and today I'll pick up Guwange. All that, and I'm still on the fence about Shank and Castlevania: Harmony of Despair - both 1200 point games. That's a great deal of ground to cover in such a short period of time.

I've only played Guwange casually through emulation before, but I really look forward to putting my tag somewhere on the leaderboards. I find Guwange to be one of Cave's most aesthetically pleasing games, perhaps alongside ESP Ra.De. I never got very good at the game, but I look forward to trying. :D

jbueno said:
I woke up and first thing I did was go to my Xbox to buy the game, but the damn thing couldn't connect to XBL! So I continue with my morning routine, then gave it another try before leaving for work, and I finally bought it and left it to download.

Can't effin' wait to get home and try it out, though it is kind of disappointing that there is no scanline option since I'll be playing on a VGA monitor on TATE.
*high five*
I'll be going the same here, on an old CRT.

Yes Boss!

Might have to tate mine as well.

I donated my other big-ass LCD to my brother. My current display is quite a bit smaller.

Cool screen options. My only minor complaint is that you can't dial in the smoothing. When on it seems a little too smooth.

Just came back from a handful of plays.

-Considering I haven't played this game in a couple years the rust wore off pretty quickly. I reached the 5th stage on my second attempt.
-Blue mode I think is easier than Original...well it feels easier at least. The only real changed I noticed is that some bullets flash...probably the ones that have been touched by the shikigami but not cashed in. These can still be cashed in as long as something is destroyed. So yeah I guess it makes sense, easier for novices(survival) but more difficult for masters(scoring).
-Managed to chain at least a couple of stages together. Go me. :lol
-Another secret achievement:
In stage 3 after you head right but before you go up there's a corner table with a bunch of statues. You want to destroy the large statue only. This gets an achievement but more importantly it rewards you with a health power-up and I believe a bomb as well.
-In stage 4 though it's pretty rough you want to destroy the big-headed thing that busts through the house without bombs. This rewards you with a big health power-up that'll replenish a lost life.
No achievement though.

jbueno

_dementia said:
*high five*
I'll be going the same here, on an old CRT.

Hell yeah, CRT or bust!!

I have a CRT TV from around 2007, but its really not TATEable. I've been thinking of getting a smaller CRT TV with component inputs, since it would be best for low res games such as this and arcade modes of other Cave ports, though its a shame the Xbox only goes as low as 480i.

Yes Boss!

Went ahead and tated my display.

I think it windowboxes on 4:3 displays if the griping at Shmups is to believed. I have a little cheapy CRT 4:3 that I bought for Cave shooters so I might try it on that next. A shame it doesn't have all the M2 scanline options...kinda need those to help it look better when blown up big-like.

c3516b21.jpg

just played for a good bit. looks really nice. has all the same options as previous cave releases. has slowdown. still totally awesome.

Bah I wish I had a monitor with a 90% swivel for tate :(

Tried it out real quick this morning before I left for work.. terrible score of 500K only getting to the first part of stage 3.

hipgnosis

This game is awesome. Looks really good on a LCD display. It was a bit hard to find the zoom option for the screen though. The smoothing is decent.

Already so addicted! Tried the Xbox 360 mode and it seemed pretty easy, crazy amounts of stuff on screen and lots of bullet canceling. Could get a bit boring after a while, but I enjoyed it the first time at least. Didn't get to try Blue mode. I've got a free night tomorrow so I'm gonna play the shit out of this then. :D

Brilliant game.

Ryn

Just got to the boss of stage 3 after 3 separate attempts (once with the 2nd choice, only reached stage 2 boss, twice with the first character, reached stage 3 both times), and then I had to leave for work :(. Might put this ahead of Mushi Futari in my 'Cave games I'm trying to 1cc' list, which only has Deathsmiles completed on it.

jbueno

I've just read the bad news on the shmups forum. The forced letterbox on a 4:3 display is indeed displeasing, but still I can't wait to try and tinker with the display options both in game and on the monitor. Oh and apparently you can't change the controller layout, I hope this maps properly on my HRAP. Oh well at least the music should sound better than the PCB original.

Ryn

What? yes you can, I just changed the button configuration for my te stick when I played this morning.

hipgnosis

jbueno said:
Oh and apparently you can't change the controller layout, I hope this maps properly on my HRAP.

You actually can change the controller layout, so this isn't a problem.

The forced letterbox is a shame for CRT users though. Pretty silly they fucked it up, they must think everybody plays on a LCD these days.

Princess Skittles said:
I thought ALL 360 games were letterboxed on 4:3 displays.

No, it depends on the developer and with resolutions the game supports. Usually PC ports are not letterboxed. At 360 launch I only have a 5:4 LCD display and I remember that I played NfS: Most Wanted, Quake and others in full screen. 360 only games were letterboxed, like PGR3 and Kameo.

jbueno

I just got home and tried it; I did find the controller configuration options, on a previous post I was going by what I read on the shmups forum, turns out it works just great with my HRAP. Still not happy about the limited display options though as I was really eager to play this on CRT, hopefully they´ll patch this some day. On a plus side, music sounds as great as expected!

Anyways I´ll be spending the rest of the day with this game, so less discussion and more playing!

CAVE343

My first time with this game and it's awesome! Love the setting and style of the game, I just need to get used to so much gore in a cave game haha.

And wow, they hid the tate option pretty deep, couldn't find it at first :lol
I was surprised that the 4:3 is letterboxed but it still looks fine.

GhaleonQ

RoryDropkick said:
I'm on lunch break, listening to the Guwange OST, and really really wishing I was at home playing :lol

They used the arranged soundtrack for this release, right? Is original an option? (The arranged is 1 of the few to absolutely decimate an original, in my opinion.)

Llyranor

Just quarter-fed my way to the end. This game is nasty tough. Going through it properly will be very challenging.

I note what seems to be online co-op. Anyone try it yet? How's the netcode?

gunstarhero

Daaaaamn, this game has got some serious BASS!

Like seriously - it's shaking my house :lol

Great game so far - stage 3 on my first play, then shit got hard. Loving it so far.

Top Bottom