• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guwange (XBLA) |OT|

jbueno

I'm loving it thus far, but damn I can't keep a chain past stage 1. It's still way more forgiving than DoDonPachi and its sequels.

Naturally my score isn't too good right now, but practice should help. Back to play some more!

Ryn

Does anybody else notice that you can only see the scores of people on your friends list if they are online? My boyfriend was playing this game and said he couldn't see any of my scores when he compared them, but after I signed in my scores magically popped up when he checked the leaderboards ingame.

epmode

Ryn said:
Does anybody else notice that you can only see the scores of people on your friends list if they are online? My boyfriend was playing this game and said he couldn't see any of my scores when he compared them, but after I signed in my scores magically popped up when he checked the leaderboards ingame.
If true, that's almost gamebreaking.

I thought it was strange that no one else on my friend list had a score on the leaderboard but I chalked it up to the game being brand new.

Ryn

Yeah, come to think of it this morning I saw Yes Boss' score on my leaderboard when I was playing. Though after I booted it up again later in the afternoon, his score was gone. That's a little funky.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Secret Achievements:

1. With Love from Guwange-Sama... - Suffer a noble defeat by Guwange-Sama - which is the final boss. I died on the part where it looks like a giant baby & I got the achievement. 10

2. Score 50.000.000 points 25

3. The Subjugation of Guwange-sama! - Defeated Guwange-sama without taking damage. 20

4. True Diabolical Power! - Destroyed Amagisu's final form without taking damage. 50

No 1cc ones afterall.

epmode

I'm 99.9% sure that the friend filter in the online leaderboard is broken. The scores are there but they won't appear when filtered (unless the friend is online? Haven't tested that part yet).

The best part is that you can actually see a working friends leaderboard when you look at your game list in the 360 OS.

But really, how on earth do you screw up a leaderboard in a score-based shooter?

Ryn

Wow, looks like the leader board posts scores in descending order when looking at the friends list from the dashboard :lol...

71twmf.jpg

Daigoro

I can't believe 4:3 is letterboxed. Wtf?! So lame. Otherwise seems like a great port. I just don't get the fucked up display options. So odd.

The leaderboard thing is wacky too, but less of an issue for me. Good that you can see it in the dash. Fucking weird how its displayed though. I think that has something to do with the recent update because I noticed the same issue with another games leaderboard. Ill check some other games to try and confirm.

Anyways great game! I suck at it but I love it. Not super happy about the display issue though.

I tried the demo thought it was pretty good. Nice to see a console cave game without a crazy price tag. I will mostly likely get it after I clear some of my other games.

Baron

I tried to figure out what was up with the leaderboards earlier, and I think that you have to do the score attack in order for it to appear on the leaderboards. Merely playing the "offline" arcade mode won't place your score up there. Can anyone confirm this?

Ryn

Right, score attack will post your scores online, offline doesn't. I think it's always been like that.

Yes Boss!

nextgeneration said:
Yes Boss! - Damn, that's hot!

Is this running in 720p? Can't wait to try it out when I get home tonight!
It is 1080p. Awesome to try on your LCD/Plasma!

Sadly, I had to rotate it back this morning since it is my only TV and I use it for movies.

Baron,

Definitely the case...gotta play Score Attack. You have to go through a little more of pain because it each time it asks you the "save replay" stuff. Almost all j-360 shooter titles are like this.

Yay for a four-day weekend...gonna play Guwange!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Argh, you're making me so jealous. Law school has informed me I won't be playing this at all until at least this weekend, and even then, I won't have an abundance of time :(

On the bright side, I finally ordered my monitor stand, so I can tate my second monitor without leaning it against the wall like I've been doing. So... that'll be nice to have when I finally have the time to commit to this game.

Ryn

Yes Boss! said:
Yay for a four-day weekend...gonna play Guwange!

Hey I have a four-day weekend plus Guwange too...high five!

Though I still have to do some homework junk that has to be emailed in by Friday and a term project meeting then. Damn grad school.

Danny Dudekisser

wtf, how do you guys have 4 day weekends?

Law school = I technically have a 2 day weekend, but it's not really a weekend cuz I got too much shit to do :(

sux, cuz I've been wanting to play Guwange for so incredibly long.

Yes Boss!

Chacranajxy said:
wtf, how do you guys have 4 day weekends?

Law school = I technically have a 2 day weekend, but it's not really a weekend cuz I got too much shit to do :(

sux, cuz I've been wanting to play Guwange for so incredibly long.
Government job and Veteran's day is today, thursday, so they just give us the rest of the week off!

Plenty of time to chill with Guwange, Espgaluda II and, Ketsui. I did check out Heavy Rain PS3 from the library so I'll counterprogram that throughout the weekend.

manzo

God damn I'm having trouble getting used to the shikigami. 360 mode is ultra-easy compared to arcade.

Somehow I'm not really feeling this one yet. I think it'll start to grow on me once I grasp the scoring system.

Yes Boss!

manzo said:
God damn I'm having trouble getting used to the shikigami. 360 mode is ultra-easy compared to arcade.

Somehow I'm not really feeling this one yet. I think it'll start to grow on me once I grasp the scoring system.
Yeah, it is tough. I costantly loose track/site of my shikigami. I think it just takes training and practice. My favorite part is how you can kinda shoot around walls with the shiki.

manzo

Yes Boss! said:
Yeah, it is tough. I costantly loose track/site of my shikigami. I think it just takes training and practice. My favorite part is how you can kinda shoot around walls with the shiki.

I guess I'm too weaksauce when I have to track 2 things at the same time - the shikigami AND the bullet streams.

Also, why does the game have to have torrent from behind? I die instantly at those. For some reason my bullet reading goes haywire when shit comes flying from BEHIND. :(

epmode

Warm Machine said:
Played the trial and just didn't feel it. Raiden Fighters, thats a shooter. This seems so cheap.
I don't get it. They're both pretty awesome.

I mean, it's definitely not my favorite Cave shooter, but cheap? The production values are easily on par with other shooters of the time.

I gotta say Guwange is so much more manageable and easier to get into than say...ESP Galuda 2 or DoJ. I think aside from Dangun and Donpachi I've enjoyed all of Cave's output from that time period. Earlier I was giving the game shit for its final stage and boss but compared to more recent games it's pretty fair...well as fair as can be expected. I forgot how quickly the bosses actually went down too...especially compared to Galuda 2s which just take forever.

Guwange is just wonderful in terms of atmosphere and presentation. It's such a crazy and disturbing game with everything dying horrifyingly bloody deaths, the dancing girls in stage 5 that you have to stomp on to actually kill, and everything from human sacrifice to the occult is accounted for. Still I was hooked right from the girl's intro where she tried to assassinate some dude but one of his mind-controlled dancing girls took the attack instead.

conman

I'm not a big fan of the art. And at its best, the art style reminds me of EspRaDe (one of my Cave favorites). Otherwise, the visuals are mostly forgettable IMO.

I feel like I'm playing left-handed trying to control the Shikigami. Definitely an oddity, even compared to some of Cave's own stranger works. This'll take a while to get used to.

Also, the scoring system (in Arcade mode) seems shockingly straight-forward. Just the coin chains, yes? Unless I'm missing something?

hipgnosis

conman said:
Also, the scoring system (in Arcade mode) seems shockingly straight-forward. Just the coin chains, yes? Unless I'm missing something?

Basically yes, you try to keep the chain as high as you can and try to collect as many coins as possible. And if you cut your chain, you're basically fucked score-wise. It's simple, but very difficult in the later levels.

conman said:
I'm not a big fan of the art. And at its best, the art style reminds me of EspRaDe (one of my Cave favorites). Otherwise, the visuals are mostly forgettable IMO.

I feel like I'm playing left-handed trying to control the Shikigami. Definitely an oddity, even compared to some of Cave's own stranger works. This'll take a while to get used to.

Junya Inoue <Joker Jun> did the artwork for both games, so indeed it resembles ESP Ra.De. :) It's a shame his manga, Otogi Matsuri was picked up by a manga company that went under.. although they did manage to publish at least the first volume before they went under.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Sucks there's no option (unless I'm missing something) to zoom in the display a bit more, like the other Cave console ports have...

hipgnosis

djtiesto said:
Sucks there's no option (unless I'm missing something) to zoom in the display a bit more, like the other Cave console ports have...
There is a zoom option. Press A in the screen configuration menu and it will bring you into a new menu which has that option. It is a bit hard to find.

depths20XX

I was really looking forward to this but unless they fix the 4:3 shit I'm not buying it.

Disappointing

This seems like such a lazy effort from Cave. Why would you do this if you're making it for people who like shooters?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Jeff called the game "ju-wan-ji" on Giant Bomb this week. :|

Oh Jeff.

depths20XX said:
I was really looking forward to this but unless they fix the 4:3 shit I'm not buying it.

Disappointing

This seems like such a lazy effort from Cave. Why would you do this if you're making it for people who like shooters?
It really is perplexing. They need to patch this.

Danny Dudekisser

Bought the game yesterday (didn't have time to play it) and I've got my monitor stand coming today. So tonight, there's definitely going to be some Guwange. I'm so fucking excited.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
hipgnosis said:
There is a zoom option. Press A in the screen configuration menu and it will bring you into a new menu which has that option. It is a bit hard to find.

Oh wow, I'll have to try that. Thanks, I didn't catch that the first time around!

Daigoro

i love this game. sucks about the 4:3 display, but this is still a must buy for shooter fans at $10 bucks. still looks good on a small dell trinitron flipped on its side. a bit smaller than id prefer, but maybe we'll get a patch.

360 mode makes for an awesome twin stick shooter. a tad too easy, but really fun. after playing it for a while last night it made it difficult to go back to arcade mode. i was all confused. :lol

buy this game fuckers.

hipgnosis

What is up with the leaderboards by the way? When I try to check my friends scores, I can only see some of them. On the dashboard I can see the full list fortunately.

hipgnosis said:
What is up with the leaderboards by the way? When I try to check my friends scores, I can only see some of them. On the dashboard I can see the full list fortunately.
I read they had to be online for it to display correctly or something like that.

STG

hipgnosis said:
I think it only shows the score of people that are online right now. awesome right?

epmode

_dementia said:
I read they had to be online for it to display correctly or something like that.
That's not even true. I saw one of my friends online but his score would not appear when I filtered by friends. I was able to find it by slowwwwwwwwwwwly scrolling through the master list though!

Maybe they need to be online and in-game for the score to show up when it's filtered?

Regardless, it's broken.

Yes Boss!

adversesolutions said:
Loving Blue.

Adverse Seal of Approval?

I think I'll try this mode.

I'm currently at the beginning of level 4 and a little over a million. Usually get there pretty consistently. Going by some of the top replays it is clear that I'm using my shiki way to much...about 95% of the time :lol

Top Bottom