• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guwange (XBLA) |OT|

Yes Boss! said:
Adverse Seal of Approval?

I think I'll try this mode.

I'm currently at the beginning of level 4 and a little over a million. Usually get there pretty consistently. Going by some of the top replays it is clear that I'm using my shiki way to much...about 95% of the time :lol

I have that same issue :lol

Didn't realize how much the regular shot really racked in the coins.. hell even getting to 1000+ coins in stage 1 is a chore for me. I can see at least doing that really starts the coins flowing.

Is it just me or is the "True Diabolical Power! - Destroyed Amagisu's final form without taking damage. 50" achievement glitched? I've beaten the guy's final form without taking damage twice (in score attack), once with the Shishin and once with Kosame, and the achievement still won't unlock. Last one I need, too. :\

Just noticed a guy on my friends list has that achievement. I guess I'll ask him when he comes online.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Hmm... so I played a round of Guwange. Game is really, really fuckin' weird at first. I wasn't sure I liked it. But then I began to understand. And then I saw that it was to my liking.

I have no idea how the gameplay system works, with the turning bullets pink and all that shit, but it's definitely a fun game just playing for survival... though it seems pretty easy. I got to the end of stage 4 on my first credit, even though it took me a level or two to figure out how the hell to even play. But either way, Guwange is hella fun, and I'm definitely not disappointed, even after hyping it up for myself as much as I have.

Hmm... but more than anything, really, I think that I just love the fact that this isn't the same as all of other Cave's shmups.

Danny Dudekisser

Played about 5 or 6 credits of Guwange tonight. Really, really liking this game. Scoring system is starting to make a bit more sense, though I don't know how to play well. Either way, I'm aiming for survival right now. I can get to stage 5, so that's satisfying.

vulva

I downloaded the demo and can't figure out how to access the display options menu to test it out. It's let me adjust the menu's orientation/angle but not the game's.

KaYotiX

Banned
Played the demo but cant get over the graphics.....wish they could of cleaned it up a little. $10 for it is too much IMO as it stands.A shame too since i like most CAVE shooters.

CAVE343

Happy Phantom said:
I downloaded the demo and can't figure out how to access the display options menu to test it out. It's let me adjust the menu's orientation/angle but not the game's.

It's tucked away neatly, couldn't find it myself at first. It's under the screen settings and then under the wallpaper option. Just press "A" for a new menu to appear.

Daigoro

www.siliconera.com/2010/11/17/cave-blog-a-guide-to-guwange-part-1/

short strategy guide from a Japanese player. not as complete as Mode 7's but worth a look.

KaYotiX said:
Played the demo but cant get over the graphics.....wish they could of cleaned it up a little. $10 for it is too much IMO as it stands.A shame too since i like most CAVE shooters.

10 bucks is a fucking steal for this game. you're out of your mind.

iconoclast said:
Is it just me or is the "True Diabolical Power! - Destroyed Amagisu's final form without taking damage. 50" achievement glitched? I've beaten the guy's final form without taking damage twice (in score attack), once with the Shishin and once with Kosame, and the achievement still won't unlock. Last one I need, too. :\

Just noticed a guy on my friends list has that achievement. I guess I'll ask him when he comes online.

did you use bombs? its gotta be no miss and no bombs.

Yeah, I used bombs when I did it before. Gonna try to get that achievement over the weekend, but it's gonna be a pain since you need to play through the entire game every time you want to retry.

hipgnosis

Apparently this is selling pretty well!

From Major Nelson:

Top Arcade Titles (Full Versions purchased)

1 SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD: THE GAME
2 Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Decade Duels
3 Guwange
4 Super Meat Boy
5 Faery: Legends of Avalon
6 DEAD RISING 2: CASE ZERO
7 Plants vs. Zombies
8 RISK: FACTIONS
9 THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2002 UNLIMITED MATCH
10 LIMBO
The above arcade list is based on full versions purchased.

Hope this means more Cave ports on XBLA!

It would be nice if we got concrete numbers instead of a ranking list.
Cave did well on the download charts for DDPR iPhone too IIRC. I'm sure they're pleased with digital distribution.

Better be pleased enough to release more is all I'm sayin.

I 1CCed Arrange mode with Gensuke the other night.. really proud of myself despite knowing how stupid easy it is :lol :lol

RoryDropkick said:
Better be pleased enough to release more is all I'm sayin.

Gimme ports of Mushihime, Ibara and Pink Sweets on XBLA here! I DEMAND THIS!

And while we're at it, get Raizing to release Battle Garrega, Battle Bakraid and Armed Police Batrider, too.

Danny Dudekisser

hikarutilmitt said:
Gimme ports of Mushihime, Ibara and Pink Sweets on XBLA here! I DEMAND THIS!

And while we're at it, get Raizing to release Battle Garrega, Battle Bakraid and Armed Police Batrider, too.

lol, i fuckin wish Raizing would make a compilation of their shooters instead of those shitty Naruto games they were doing...

But anyway, Cave is apparently looking at releasing Ibara and Ibara Kuro, so that's one thing that you might be able to cross off the list.

source: http://www.cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?topic=1069.0

Llyranor

Ok, tried some of this online with a random (from Japan!). Netcode works. You notice the slowdown (might actually be beneficial for a Cave shmup, hehehe), but I haven't died because of lag at all. Will get my co-op buddy to pick this up later today.

jlevel13

Finally picked this up tonight - gotta support super affordable CAVE download releases, even if Guwange is one of my least rated CAVE games. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it sold very well, as my first time trying Blue Mode and I was around 550 on the online leaderboard (and I didn't do good - just got to mid-3rd level playing for survival). Also tried the 360 mode, and it seemed fine, but I think I'll stick (no pun intended) to the traditional arcade stick mode for more precise, comfortable control.

I did have one question. I couldn't seem to find a way to set the wallpaper to black... am I missing it, or is the option not in there? I prefer to play without a colorful wallpaper in the background.

Rlan

jlevel13 said:
. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it sold very well, as my first time trying Blue Mode and I was around 550 on the online leaderboard (and I didn't do good - just got to mid-3rd level playing for survival).

The regular mode isn't ranked at all, so it's difficult to tell. You'll find a lot of people would have probably gone straight to the "Arcade" mode and never tried the other modes. The drop off on Crazy Taxi between the first level and the original mode is pretty substantial, for instance.

jlevel13

Rlan said:
The regular mode isn't ranked at all, so it's difficult to tell.

It's true you have to select score attack to get on the leaderboard and it is the second option, but I'd imagine greater than 50% of the people who paid 800 points for a game would at least try out the modes. Can't say how many copies it sold exactly, but I think not many, is a fair guess. Certainly less than 10,000 anyway (maybe less than 5K?). I wonder what CAVE would consider successful enough to move ahead with doing more XBLA ports?

jbueno

jlevel13 said:
I did have one question. I couldn't seem to find a way to set the wallpaper to black... am I missing it, or is the option not in there? I prefer to play without a colorful wallpaper in the background.

I think you have to set the wallpaper brightness to 0, at least that´s how it is done in other Cave ports.

jlevel13

jbueno said:
I think you have to set the wallpaper brightness to 0, at least that´s how it is done in other Cave ports.

yeah I know it's that way in the other games, but I'm not seeing that option here, which is why I was asking - not sure if I'm missing it or it's not here (which would be a strange ommision as there are a bunch of other stranger options, like free tilting your screen to any angle).

jlevel13

Daigoro said:
yeah jlevel. the option is there somewhere. i have mine set to black.

alright - thanks everybody. I figured it was there & finally found it in Help & options / settings / system settings. Actually kind of nice that it's a universal setting & you don't have to set it for each mode, unlike some of the disc releases.

jlevel13

JEKKI said:
man I finally started playing this game

and dood wtfuuuuuuk this game is hard and confusing o_O

That's sort of the point. Almost all CAVE games seem super confusing at first, but if you put in some time, they slowly make more and more sense & become somewhat more manageable. But unless you're an STG god they're always going to stay pretty tough.

JEKKI

well Im kinda happy now coz I made it past a million points and died on stage 3 boss, but this game is still too hard for me >_<

there is seriously no room for error... one slip and your combo meter is gone!!

danmaku

Today I picked up Guwange for some runs... and I beat my high score! About 6,5 millions, I managed to keep the chain until level 4, then I made a bunch of stupid mistakes and died at the beginning of stage 5. I discovered that, unless you want to leech like hell, strategic bombing is the best way to deal with bosses. A well placed bomb can save you the pain of dodging their most difficult pattern and still keep your chain intact, very useful against stage 2 and 3 bosses.

Top Bottom