• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H1Z1 Early Access |OT| You've got red on you.

Uh it does absolutely hurt me. The type of people you see on PvE sever are very different from those you find on a PvP server. The mindset of the entire server will be different and that will negatively effect my gameplay experience. I'd prefer just one server type or at least none without PvP.

How is the mindset different?

JambiBum

If you guys manage to get in and want a pvp server with Gaffers join Solace.

I joined a different one and am afraid to try to switch lol. Also I thought that you couldn't get weapons out of air drops? Apparently a streamer ended up getting an AR15 which I thought wasn't even in the game.

I joined a different one and am afraid to try to switch lol. Also I thought that you couldn't get weapons out of air drops? Apparently a streamer ended up getting an AR15 which I thought wasn't even in the game.

There was always going to be a chance of weapons in air drops. Most servers don't seem very populated so it seems easy to get stuff now. If they make it too easy to gear up hopefully they realize it and tweak it. My buddy just found two AR's in one town. It's early and this is why we test.

Smed just made a post on reddit about it.

I'm going to weigh in here on this subject. We've been showing it clearly in all of the streams we have been doing. I made a point of personally doing it during last Friday's streams. We want them to be server events... so we make sure the whole server knows they're coming and I've personally been killed many times after I paid for them myself. So I fundamentally disagree with the argument.

In terms of us not being honest about it - untrue to an extreme. Quoting an 8 month old reddit post after numerous streams and interviews where we've been quite public AND putting it front and center in our "What to expect document" which was right on the purchase page just makes this blatantly unfair IMO. (here's the link - https://www.h1z1.com/dev-updates/h1z1-what-you-can-expect-in-early-access) or you can just go back to the steam page.

So if you think it's P2W don't buy it. Don't play it. But I have to say wait until you've personally tried them before making the call. We included airdrops in both the $20 and the $40 versions just so you could see for yourselves.

But to clear up the misconceptions -

1) You cannot call in airdrops until the servers are 1/4 full. 2) You can't call in airdrops without generating a ton of zombie heat. 3) the airdrops are random in what they deliver. 4) you are not guaranteed to get a single thing out of the airdrop you called in. You could die trying and you're out the money. 5) We fly the plane in very slowly and loudly.. we also stream green smoke from it you can see from very far away.

This is all I'm going to say on the subject. We've been straight about it. We've called attention to it publicly and it's something we've decided we want in the game. It makes it more fun. It can shake things up. Please don't judge based on knee jerk reactions. Try it. Or watch more streams with people doing it.

Lemondish

Uh it does absolutely hurt me. The type of people you see on PvE sever are very different from those you find on a PvP server. The mindset of the entire server will be different and that will negatively effect my gameplay experience. I'd prefer just one server type or at least none without PvP.

I can't tell if you're serious.

Lemondish

He is probably serious. Some people take PvP way too seriously and when others are wanting a different environment they get super angry.

From what I understand, it's not like he's being forced into that environment. He can choose to play on the server type he wants.

I'm not sure how people having choice harms him. There's no logic in this place.

mnannola

The airdrops have contained too much loot from what I have seen to lean the game toward P2W. They need to scale back chances for powerful loot, and also make them more dangerous to get to. I am sure they will tweak the formula though and get it right. The idea itself is cool and a good way to put some excitement into the game. It will be a fine line though between fun and P2W.

I think the airdrops are a great idea.

I can see why people would be scared about it but these things were amazing in Rust. They happened every hour and dropped a ton of great loot. The entire server stood still, crews geared up for war, poor players went to investigate. It was all out war. When servers get more populated people are gonna see how fun this can be. If they end up making gearing up easy they already said they will tweak it.

Clegg
Also the key thing here is our login servers are getting slammed, people aren't playing on full servers so the contested airdrops are not happening right now.

Also the zombies that are in the crates are not reacting like they should be.

We are taking steps to fix this, this is part of the Early Access process. Trust that we aren't trying to make some blatant pay to win mechanic here and understand that the people that are playing online right now are not playing at the intended server max.

Things we can do right away is raise the minimum server pop it takes to actually call in an airdrop so it has a much greater chance of being contested, also we can slow the plane down so more people across the server can see it.

The airdrop is not supposed to be a supply drop for 1 person, it is supposed to be a server event that is contested by a lot of people.

So how do I join said gaf group when the game works? Is there a clan system in place or anything like that?

Just join the Solace server for PvP. We will pick other servers Pve and Hardcore later when more people can log in(me) and see the names. They will be posted right under the OT and in the steam group H1G1.

The airdrops have contained too much loot from what I have seen to lean the game toward P2W. They need to scale back chances for powerful loot, and also make them more dangerous to get to. I am sure they will tweak the formula though and get it right. The idea itself is cool and a good way to put some excitement into the game. It will be a fine line though between fun and P2W.

There is no guarantee that the person purchasing the airdrop with get the items though.

mnannola

There is no guarantee that the person purchasing the airdrop with get the items though.

Sure but it's a balancing act. Drop the crate 5 feet away from the purchaser with no zombies around and have the crate include rocket launchers? P2W. Drop the crate across the map from the purchaser and include a red shirt? No one buys it. It is all about how they balance it out.

Sure but it's a balancing act. Drop the crate 5 feet away from the purchaser with no zombies around and have the crate include rocket launchers? P2W. Drop the crate across the map from the purchaser and include a red shirt? No one buys it. It is all about how they balance it out.

But people will be seeing that plane come from all over the place and see where it drops.

From John Smedley (SoE CEO):

I'm going to weigh in here on this subject. We've been showing it clearly in all of the streams we have been doing. I made a point of personally doing it during last Friday's streams. We want them to be server events... so we make sure the whole server knows they're coming and I've personally been killed many times after I paid for them myself. So I fundamentally disagree with the argument. In terms of us not being honest about it - untrue to an extreme. Quoting an 8 month old reddit post after numerous streams and interviews where we've been quite public AND putting it front and center in our "What to expect document" which was right on the purchase page just makes this blatantly unfair IMO. (here's the link - https://www.h1z1.com/dev-updates/h1z1-what-you-can-expect-in-early-access) or you can just go back to the steam page. So if you think it's P2W don't buy it. Don't play it. But I have to say wait until you've personally tried them before making the call. We included airdrops in both the $20 and the $40 versions just so you could see for yourselves. But to clear up the misconceptions - 1) You cannot call in airdrops until the servers are 1/4 full. 2) You can't call in airdrops without generating a ton of zombie heat. 3) the airdrops are random in what they deliver. 4) you are not guaranteed to get a single thing out of the airdrop you called in. You could die trying and you're out the money. 5) We fly the plane in very slowly and loudly.. we also stream green smoke from it you can see from very far away. This is all I'm going to say on the subject. We've been straight about it. We've called attention to it publicly and it's something we've decided we want in the game. It makes it more fun. It can shake things up. Please don't judge based on knee jerk reactions. Try it. Or watch more streams with people doing it.
Now with all that being said - we're going to be making some big changes to them in the next day or so.
1) Dramatically widening the radius they come in - it's too small from what we're observing. 2) Making sure the chance for guns is a much lower chance so they are much more rare. 3) Upping the minimum number of people on a server to even allow air drops. It's set at 50 right now and we're going to at least double it. We are serious about these being server events and contested. 4) Making the plane fly even slower.
Smed

http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/2slbmc/airdrops/

Seems reasonable to me.

We are working hard to solve the login issue and apologize for it. We're debugging a complicated piece of code that is blocking most people from getting in. This is happening while we're being slammed with people trying to login. We're getting there... and I will report back as frequently as I can. In the meantime I'm also trying to weigh in on concerns that have been raised about airdrops. I'm not personally fixing the login server.. we have our best tech people on that and they'll get it done. So don't think we're spending time discussing airdrops and nothing is being done on the servers. The login stuff is our absolute top priority.

Smed

I love the communication. I don't I've ever seen a dev be so honest and upfront about any game than they have with this one last few months on Twitter and reddit.

just look at reddit and read the airdrop thread holy smokes people are overreacting hardcore, it's the first day of alpha don't they expect changes to occur? I like what he said above though i think it should stay in the game as well they just have to make sure it's no where near the guy who is using it but close enough so it's not a waste of their money but it should be a beacon of destruction if the type of goods in there are that much value

just look at reddit and read the airdrop thread holy smokes people are overreacting hardcore, it's the first day of alpha don't they expect changes to occur? I like what he said above though i think it should stay in the game as well they just have to make sure it's no where near the guy who is using it but close enough so it's not a waste of their money but it should be a beacon of destruction if the type of goods in there are that much value

Yeah, that subreddit is a cesspool...I think I'm done with that place.

Yeah, that subreddit is a cesspool...I think I'm done with that place.

Lot of people want this game to fail. This was just the perfect issue for them to shit on the game. Doubt most of them even own it. Hopefully they don't push the devs away from participating on there because it's been great having them there answering questions personally.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Lot of people want this game to fail. This was just the perfect issue for them to shit on the game. Doubt most of them even own it. Hopefully they don't push the devs away from participating on there because it's been great having them there answering questions personally.

I just want to actually connect to the servers.

Air drops are awesome in Rust. If they can balance it properly, I don't have any issue with it.

Which reminds me, how easy is it (for you guys actually able to play) to find guns/ammo so far?

Air drops are awesome in Rust. If they can balance it properly, I don't have any issue with it.

Which reminds me, how easy is it (for you guys actually able to play) to find guns/ammo so far?

My friends have been finding guns but not much ammo. They don't last too long though. the zombies and animals have been pretty brutal.

Chabbles

Got as far as the server browser just now, but met with this screen both times.

H1_Z1_2015_01_16_04_05_36_26.jpg

Shady859

Smh, well this is embarassing.... I made it in, went to Solace server but I couldn't get outta 1st person view so after I died to a wolf I wanted to change servers to see was it just a 1st person only and you know the rest.. Lol kicked all the way out and can't rejoin.

JambiBum

Smh, well this is embarassing.... I made it in, went to Solace server but I couldn't get outta 1st person view so after I died to a wolf I wanted to change servers to see was it just a 1st person only and you know the rest.. Lol kicked all the way out and can't rejoin.

If you didn't try it, the default binding to switch views is T

Top Bottom