• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 in Japan: People can't even GIVE it away!!!

Sho Nuff

Banned
Today I went to Akihabara to get my copy of Halo 2. But I did not even need to plunk down any cash because this man was giving them out from a stack:

giveaway1.jpg

Who is he? Does he work for Microsoft? I want that t-shirt.

It looks like I was the only person to accept a copy of Halo 2. I followed him around and saw him attempting to unload his extra copies on other people, but as you can see below, he was nothing short of unsuccessful.

giveaway2.jpg

Discuss.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
This thread makes me feel better. Thank you.

Mrbob

Bungie should have implemented a turn based, menu driven battle system for the Japan release! More cut scenes and less gameplay. 2 million extra sold rival NA launch!

Sho Nuff

Banned
Society said:
Do you normally bring a camera with you? Maybe I should bring a camera with me when I goto shops.

I bring my EOS 300D with 24mm 1.8F lens everywhere I go just in case I run into weird shit like this. Geeze, it's like something Masamania would report on or something :lol

Hmm... I seem to know both the guys pictured in the shots. I smell something fowl, and it's not Halo 2's campaign mode storyline.

Bebpo

Banned
Yea I went to pick up Halo 2 after work and I was the only one who pre-ordered a copy so they only stocked 1 copy total ^^;;

I guess it wont beat DoAU sales after all :\

jiggle

Could it be that ppl just think it's too good to be true? He look a little conspicuous in those photo. I would've just ignore what he say and walk away too.
I mean if the guy have some kind of booth or holding a sign or something, you know, looking official, more ppl would be willing to stop and pick up a free game.

Looks like Magna Carta can come out on #2.:)

john tv

More evidence of Japan's cluelessness:

1100220718200411111655.jpg

Shibuya Tsutaya, one of Tokyo's most well-known spots for buying new games, had ONE copy of Halo 2 on display, on the BOTTOM shelf, in the middle of a bunch of other games.

How sad is that?

Jonnyram

Flynn said:
Cluelessness? I find it heartwarming when people, en mass reject marketing -- even if it is for a product that is good.
Wait... shops aren't supposed to reject marketing - shoppers are.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
they should just change the ending so that MC takes of his mask and it's Glay or something like that....

Or he's a giant fucking hairy blue turtle wind god
Or his face is just a bowl of Ramen or something like that...

Or just call the game "Winning Eleven.... IN SPACE!"

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I think I saw that guy!!! What a freak! :lol

Bebpo

Banned
For some reason I think it would appeal more in they DIDN'T make it Japanese dub only. I thought the Japanese audience likes english voices for english games. Were GTAIII and VC dub only?

cabel

Vibri said:
I bet that guy likes the man-sauce. Bet my life on it.

Do I even want to know how you came to that mind-boggling conclusion?

Since your, you know, life is on the line.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Bebpo said:
For some reason I think it would appeal more in they DIDN'T make it Japanese dub only. I thought the Japanese audience likes english voices for english games. Were GTAIII and VC dub only?
One of the "big" selling point of Halo in Japan was the all star dub. Halo did moderately well in Japan (75000 if I remember correctly) for a Xbox game that is, and I'm convinced the dub had a lot to do with this "success". I don't remember who the Seiyuu were, but I know that's about the only thing MGS Japan did well for the Xbox launch there.

Ozchin

LMFAO!!! :lol

I love the censorship to protect the innocent. I hear that same guy giving out Halo2 was giving out handjobs for 19,800yen. go figure.

Flynn said:
Cluelessness? I find it heartwarming when people, en mass reject marketing -- even if it is for a product that is good.

wait your talking about Japan...rejecting mass marketing?!?!? :lol :lol

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Someone should show this to the Xbox guy, Peter Moore or something. What could he possibly say to defend that.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Sho Nuff said:
I bring my EOS 300D with 24mm 1.8F lens everywhere I go just in case I run into weird shit like this. Geeze, it's like something Masamania would report on or something :lol

Hi Sho. Did you get my PM? :)

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Ozchin said:
LMFAO!!! :lol

I love the censorship to protect the innocent. I hear that same guy giving out Halo2 was giving out handjobs for 19,800yen. go figure.

Well he was in Fafalada's hotel during TGS....

GamerXL

What's really funny is that it doesn't matter. At all. Period. Japan is thisclose to becoming irrelevant as far as the fiscal health of a console.

jiggle

GamerXL said:
What's really funny is that it doesn't matter. At all. Period. Japan is thisclose to becoming irrelevant as far as the fiscal health of a console.

:lol
delusion much?

Wulfer

You guys say poor Microsoft... I say poor Japanese gamer's wouldn't know a good game if hit'em in the head. Halo 2 should be atleast tried.... Sad indeed.

Top Bottom