• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 on November 9 - The Biggest Game Launch Ever?

hobart

DarienA said:
Midnight Madness campaign's aren't that much of a big deal Gamestop was doing after hours sales for Madden for chrissakes.

Exactly how closely have you followed SA? Have you been reading the previews including the most recent one this weekend?

How much more? Alot from what these previews have been saying.

No. I have not been following.. which is EXACTLY why I could be wrong.

I think for myself tho... I'm looking for something drastically different, or, I'm just tired of the series. But I've been turned back to series in the past (FF) so I'm never willing to completely turn my back on a franchise completely.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I'm in a bit of a bind - I work for neither R* nor MS, so their relative sale success this winter (or overall) doesn't affect my bank account directly. I am fortunate enough to own a PS2 and an Xbox, however, so hopefully I'll still be able to derive some pleasures from both titles.

We'll see.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
bishoptl said:
I'm in a bit of a bind - I work for neither R* nor MS, so their relative sale success this winter (or overall) doesn't affect my bank account directly. I am fortunate enough to own a PS2 and an Xbox, however, so hopefully I'll still be able to derive some pleasures from both titles.

We'll see.

but but but!! Halo 2 is the spiritual sequel to both Riddick and ESPN NHL 2K5!

novery

sonycowboy said:
IAWTP. Especially the masturbatory threads like this one. Yes it will be beyond huge, but you can take the Master Chiefs johnson out of your mouths, you sycophants.

Play nice, asshole. I'm pretty sick of Halo 2 hype as well, but I think it's a legitimate question that I'm asking.

-rp

bishoptl said:

We'll see.

You know you will love both games for different reasons, ss will I and many other gamers.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
But if I pick one and hype it to the moon while denigrating the other, I can point to that title's overall sales success in February 2005 as proof that my internet penis is bigger!

...that is how it works, isn't it?

I dunno I didn't like Halo PC that much but I really wanna pick up a xbox for this. We will see what happens though! Yo bish how much is a used xbox in canada?

shpankey

not an idiot
In my opinion, and I've been around since the start of gaming, the answer is yes. Only other games approaching the buildup of the launch of Halo 2 were Final Fantasy 7 on the PlayStation, Mario 64 on N64, MGS2 on PS2, Mortal Kombat 2 on Genesis/SNES and Vice City on PS2. And I think Halo 2 has already superceded all of them.

novery

shpankey said:
In my opinion, and I've been around since the start of gaming, the answer is yes. Only other games approaching the buildup of the launch of Halo 2 were Final Fantasy 7 on the PlayStation, Mario 64 on N64, MGS2 on PS2, Mortal Kombat 2 on Genesis/SNES and Vice City on PS2. And I think Halo 2 has already superceded all of them.

I forgot about Mortal Kombat II. That was a pretty big one! I was there on "Mortal Monday". Didn't Acclaim call the MKII launch day something ridiculous like "Mortal Kombat 'Two'sday"?

-rp

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "Mortal Monday" from back when Mortal Kombat 1 first hit the home consoles. Every store in my town sold out of it the day they got it in. I actually got mine on the Saturday beforehand because a store in Chicago jumped the gun and started a chain reaction that hit my town the next day. I just so happened to call KB Toys when they told me they had 1 copy left of the Genesis version so I told them to hold it and got my dad to go down there with me right away. Ever see that episode of South Park where Cartman watches Chinpokomon and begs his mom to take him to the toy store while running around in a frenzy? That was me for MK1.

Every kid in my school that played games knew what day Mortal Kombat came out. It was on the back of all our comic books, it was a commercial during all our shows, it was on posters at our hangouts. I'd say that puts it right up there with Super Mario 3, Halo 2, and the rest of the big hitters.

*Edit* Ah novery you musta been typin the same time as me! :)

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I can't see Halo2 failing to be biggest single game launch this year, and possibly ever. I know three people that will be buying an Xbox this November so that they can play Halo2. I have seen a trailer for the game at the movie theatre. I can go to 7-11 and get Halo2 cups for my slurpees or big-gulps. I can buy Halo2 posters at local music stores. And I know we are about to see a lot of tv commercials for the game. I'm willing to bet that Microsoft has been holding off on putting commercials for thier other games just so that they could go crazy promoting Halo2.

I think the hype and excitement for Halo2 is compareable to what the movie industry gets to enjoy. This is not something that has been seen in the games industry before. Sure a lot of you can compare this to other games that you have bought at launch etc.. but I am guessing that you are "gamers". Where as there are a lot more people out there that are very casual gamers that know about Halo2 and are anticipating Novemeber 9th.

That's what makes this situation different than any other game launch. Even different from GTA:SA.

We will obviously see how this Christmas season turns out regarding game sales. I know I will be contributing to the sales of both games. I can't wait to play both of them. But I know that I wont be picking up my copy of GTA at midnight. And I know that I wouldn't have the choice to do that at every store that will be selling the game.

Tim

Could someone enlighten me (storywise) what Halo was about? I just played a couple of levels but that was it (besides multi). And is anything known about Halo 2's plot (besides the fact that you need to save the earth)?

andthebeatgoeson

Scalemail Ted said:
I remember being really hyped back in the day when SMB3 was coming out

Yeah, that game was insanely hard to come by. Back when there was no interweb to track this sort of hype, that game was ridiculously hard to come by and hyped to no end. I remember maybe a month going by looking for this thing.

I'm wondering how the story will end up. Since the Covenant start kicking our ass, how will it end up. It's gonna be a great game. Hopefully they have more than 2 hallways written into the code, this time tho.

BeOnEdge

Banned
bobafett said:
Stop this Halo 2 BS please. Of course GTA will outsell Halo 2 by a large margin.

for this reason i hope halo 2 and ms obliterate the holidays. just as the biggest STFU ever.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Another interesting thing is, uninformed parents will usually buy their kid Halo/Halo 2 over GTA despite the M rating. It's more of a matter of "Oh, you kill aliens" as opposed to "Oh, you fuck a hooker then chop them up with a chainsaw".

Mrbob

bishoptl said:
But if I pick one and hype it to the moon while denigrating the other, I can point to that title's overall sales success in February 2005 as proof that my internet penis is bigger!

Says the man who is collecting info on all Halo 2/GTA: SA threads to repost in January! :lol

BeOnEdge

Banned
theres one strange phenomenon that will help boost halo 2s sales over GTAsa. The amount of insane lunatics buying MULTIPLE copies of the game. WTF??? there was a thread over at TXB with people, many people buying 3 and 4 copies of the game. WHY!!!! most said for lan but WTF??? have friends bring their own damn copies!!!! whatever but this is like the best marketing money CANT buy. imagine the amount of people that will play at some dorks lan party and then go buy an xbox and halo 2. insanity.

Halo 2 is the biggest title launch this gen, IMO. I haven't been this hyped for a title since getting back from E3 '96 and wanting an N64 just for SM64.

Soul4ger

BeOnEdge said:
theres one strange phenomenon that will help boost halo 2s sales over GTAsa. The amount of insane lunatics buying MULTIPLE copies of the game. WTF??? there was a thread over at TXB with people, many people buying 3 and 4 copies of the game. WHY!!!! most said for lan but WTF??? have friends bring their own damn copies!!!! whatever but this is like the best marketing money CANT buy. imagine the amount of people that will play at some dorks lan party and then go buy an xbox and halo 2. insanity.

Yeah, he makes a good point. We have a lot of people buying two copies, one regular, one limited.

BeOnEdge said:
theres one strange phenomenon that will help boost halo 2s sales over GTAsa. The amount of insane lunatics buying MULTIPLE copies of the game. WTF???

I wasn't going to but am seriously considering it for easy system-link action...

I can't remember the last time I've been this eager to play a game since... FF7 maybe? I remember sleepless nights on that one. Chrono Trigger perhaps? Maybe Starcraft.

BeOnEdge said:

This won't be nearly enough to make a diff in the sales wars of H2 and GTA:SA.

Yeah, he makes a good point. We have a lot of people buying two copies, one regular, one limited.

This OTOH is more likely, but still not enough. Casual gamers (the majority of gamers buying the game) will not be buying 2 copies of the game, hardcore gamers aren't going to make up the difference of Sony's huge userbase (much bigger now than it was when GTA:VC came out). Halo 2 beating GTA:SA in sales this year is just not happening. Full stop.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Speevy said:
It's one of the few games that has no chance of getting my gaming dollars. I just didn't like the original. I'm sure it'll be worthy of its praise, though, like the first one was.

You sure about that? I think I've just found your copy...

HALO2BIG.jpg

BeOnEdge

Banned
Pedigree Chum said:
Halo 2 beating GTA:SA in sales this year is just not happening. Full stop.

halo has been selling close to 100k a month for how long now? the game was delayed how many times? 2 years? thats alot of pent up buying power. people are really underestimating the power of the franchise. so what will you say if halo2 DOES outsell GTA? what then?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
'theres one strange phenomenon that will help boost halo 2s sales over GTAsa. The amount of insane lunatics buying MULTIPLE copies of the game. WTF??? there was a thread over at TXB with people, many people buying 3 and 4 copies of the game. WHY!!!! most said for lan but WTF??? have friends bring their own damn copies!!!! whatever but this is like the best marketing money CANT buy. imagine the amount of people that will play at some dorks lan party and then go buy an xbox and halo 2. insanity."

You can't rely on friends to be clever enough to bring copies/pads.
Hence, we bought enough copies for 16 player action...

... and 16 controllers.

BeOnEdge said:
halo has been selling close to 100k a month for how long now? the game was delayed how many times? 2 years? thats alot of pent up buying power. people are really underestimating the power of the franchise. so what will you say if halo2 DOES outsell GTA? what then?

I'll admit i was wrong, but I just don't see it happening. There wasn't this much hype among forumgoers during VC's pre launch (lots of naysayers though), look how well that title did. I just don't buy this, "H2 has a possibility of outselling GTA:SA", I just don't see it happening, that's all. I think the userbase differences and previous sales (for both series)are enough to justify my viewpoint.

If Halo 2 even comes close to GTA:SA, that's ridiculous, considering there's about 3x? more PS2s out there than Xboxes. If I wasn't in a ridiculous college where I really don't have much free time, and not too many other people as well...I would be so unbelievably hyped for this game. But on the other hand, I'm addicted to CS: Source, and Half-Life 2 will be amazing, and so will DOD:Source, so my gaming addiction and free time are both fulfilled for a while.

bishoptl said:

Pretty much.

Fifty

Suranga3 said:
I think I might just have to pre-order this game.

CANADIANS: Click here to order the SE Halo 2.

I was about to order that version, but I think I'm going to opt out for the standard version. That counter was also at 160 remaining this morning, now its down to 124.

Shit dude, do you work for futureshop? Hop in almost any EB or other game store that does preorders and you can reserve a copy of either edition. Futureshop always pulls that shit with "x copies left" I'm not saying it won't sell out on their site, but it's far from the only option.

BeOnEdge

Banned
PuertoRicanJuice said:
If Halo 2 even comes close to GTA:SA, that's ridiculous, considering there's about 3x? more PS2s out there than Xboxes. .

burnout 3 on xbox outsold the ps2 version 2:1 during the first week. ofcourse this is no halo 2 or gta but ps2s userbase is still larger yet burnout X sold more.

m0dus said:
Plus, considering the fact that the game doesn't have the same negative connotation among parents, media and certain 'family oriented' retailers that GTA does, I'd say it in all likelihood can, and probably will, outsell San Andreas with relative ease.

But, again, this is all still conjecture at this point.

Even with the negative feedback it gets in the media, GTAVC's US numbers alone are higher than HALO's worldwide numbers. HALO 2 will no doubt be big, but GTA is really in a completely different sales league from any other console game.

Doom_Bringer said:
I dunno I didn't like Halo PC that much but I really wanna pick up a xbox for this. We will see what happens though! Yo bish how much is a used xbox in canada?

I do believe you only save like $30 CAN or so, from last I heard, buying a used system over a new one. I for one would NEVER buy a used system, no matter what. Who knows what the previous owner did to it. And I'm definitely not taking the game stores word that the system is fine.
$30 dollars or so isn't worth the potential hassle of a used sytem.

element

I think there is a good chance Halo 2 will outsell GTA:VC. For a couple reasons.

1. SA is the 3rd iteration of the same 'core' game. Yes there is new content, and I'm excited for some of the new things they are adding. The concept is aging, and rapid upgrades have diluted the brand.
2. Possibility of SA being ported to Xbox. People went out in droves to buy the GTA/VC pack on Xbox. So if there is a possibility of an Xbox port, gamers might hold off and decide to buy a 100% exclusive game.
3. Halo 2 marketing has only JUST started (barely), and there are almost 800,000 pre-orders. That is pretty amazing.
4. Largest midnight store sale for a single game EVER! 1200 EB's alone!!!!!
5. Lots of quality PS2 titles to complete with (GT4, MGS3, R&C3, Jak 3, Killzone, Underground 2)

Halo 2 has a VERY good chance to sell 2.5 million units by the end of the year. Which I doubt GTA:SA will do.

I'd say the buildup and launch for MGS2 was just as big, if not bigger, than this.
You got to be kidding me! MGS2 didn't have 1200+ stores staying open for a midnight release!

skip

element said:
I think there is a good chance Halo 2 will outsell GTA:VC. For a couple reasons.

1. SA is the 3rd iteration of the same 'core' game. Yes there is new content, and I'm excited for some of the new things they are adding. The concept is aging, and rapid upgrades have diluted the brand.
2. Possibility of SA being ported to Xbox. People went out in droves to buy the GTA/VC pack on Xbox. So if there is a possibility of an Xbox port, gamers might hold off and decide to buy a 100% exclusive game.
3. Halo 2 marketing has only JUST started (barely), and there are almost 800,000 pre-orders. That is pretty amazing.
4. Largest midnight store sale for a single game EVER! 1200 EB's alone!!!!!
5. Lots of quality PS2 titles to complete with (GT4, MGS3, R&C3, Jak 3, Killzone, Underground 2)

1. madden. I could stop there, but shall continue with "...sells millions and millions every year, without immediately noticeable changes. gta's primary audience is similar to madden's, if not the same."

2. meh. wait indefinitely, or buy and play right now?

3. all r* needs to do is show the welcome to the jungle commercial in some form. marketing equalizer.

4. too-shay.

5. gta trumps all of those, but also a good point.

it'll be close, but I can't see gta being outsold. especially by a clear margin.

element

now I think SA might outsell Halo 2 overall, but halo 2 will outsell it for this year. but that is due to the huge PS2 userbase.

3. all r* needs to do is show the welcome to the jungle commercial in some form. marketing equalizer.
from the bits I've been hearing, I don't think the industry has seen a media blitz like MS is going to do for Halo 2, ever. The game is going to be everywhere. Now R* has amazing marketing, but MS is going to pull out all the guns for this one. It is on the level of a system launch.

element said:
now I think SA might outsell Halo 2 overall, but halo 2 will outsell it for this year. but that is due to the huge PS2 userbase.

from the bits I've been hearing, I don't think the industry has seen a media blitz like MS is going to do for Halo 2, ever. The game is going to be everywhere. Now R* has amazing marketing, but MS is going to pull out all the guns for this one. It is on the level of a system launch.

To give you an idea of how big Rockstar is expecting GTASA to be, they're shipping 4.5 million copies of it on day 1. GTAVC sold through 4 million by the end of the year when it was released back in 2002. It's going to be huge.

Suranga3

Fifty said:
Shit dude, do you work for futureshop? Hop in almost any EB or other game store that does preorders and you can reserve a copy of either edition. Futureshop always pulls that shit with "x copies left" I'm not saying it won't sell out on their site, but it's far from the only option.

I thought EBgames stop taking preorders?

Midas

Mrbob said:
Considering how big the gaming market is to when previous high profile games were released, the answer is yes.

He said it all. No need to post more here. Move on. :p

Top Bottom