• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 on November 9 - The Biggest Game Launch Ever?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
roll.gif

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Going by most definitions, I doubt it'll be the biggest launch in history.

I'm thinking of Dragon Quest, FF and Zelda here. I mean, it may just be a myth (not sure?), but I believe Enix are no longer allowed to release DQ on working days because of the hysteria surrounding their launches. I remember reading reports of FF games clearing over 1m in their first couple of days..could well be true of Zelda, and I'm sure true of DQ. Oh, and Pokemon?

It will be interesting. I have ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT that it will be the largest single day in the US. However, the candle that burns twice as bright, burns half as long. Not saying it won't continue to sell well, but if everybody picks it up DAY 1, it has nowhere to go but down from there. Usually, most games have adoption rates that range from day 1 to day 90, which is why GTA: VC sold 1.5 in Oct, 1.5 in Nov, & 1.5 in Dec. Madden similarly holds a large monthly sale rate for the first several months.

Halo 2 will probably end up being the most frontloaded game of all time in the US, which isn't to say that it won't sell spectacularly. Just that a disproportianate percentage will have gotten the game on day 1. Much like FF & DQ in Japan.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I remember reading reports of FF games clearing over 1m in their first couple of days..could well be true of Zelda, and I'm sure true of DQ. Oh, and Pokemon?
Apparently, FFX has had 1.4-1.5M pre-orders (customer pre-orders) in Japan, and shipped some 2.14 millions on the launch day (which would be the retail pre-orders, I guess?).

Source

Some guy at Slashdot was throwing some other preorder numbers, including DQ7 in Japan which apparently had 3M preorders?!

Also, the actual official Halo 2 preorder number seems to be 750K

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/06/news_6109802.html

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm guessing 1M might be someone's speculative final total based on that there's still one month left before the release.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
there have been games that have been as big a deal at the time, but the market has only really been this large for MGS2 and Halo 2. Im sure next gen some game will come along with just as much hype and an even larger market.

Mrbob

sonycowboy said:
It will be interesting. I have ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT that it will be the largest single day in the US. However, the candle that burns twice as bright, burns half as long. Not saying it won't continue to sell well, but if everybody picks it up DAY 1, it has nowhere to go but down from there. Usually, most games have adoption rates that range from day 1 to day 90, which is why GTA: VC sold 1.5 in Oct, 1.5 in Nov, & 1.5 in Dec. Madden similarly holds a large monthly sale rate for the first several months.

Halo 2 will probably end up being the most frontloaded game of all time in the US, which isn't to say that it won't sell spectacularly. Just that a disproportianate percentage will have gotten the game on day 1. Much like FF & DQ in Japan.

You remind me of an anti Nintendo fan talking about Pokemon. :p

Look at how well Halo has sustained sales. There is no reason to think otherwise that Halo 2 can't follow the same path. The only way sales will die down is if the game sucks, and that just isn't going to happen.

Top Bottom