• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4: King of the Hill Fueled by Mtn Dew coming to iOS [Update: Up On iTunes]

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I don't care if i'm selling my dignity to these companies, i'm going to get some in game stuff hell yeah!

jaypah

marketing is crazy. I think about it from time to time but seeing this earlier made me think about it again while i was out for the evening. I can't even be all that mad. Considering the amount of advertising that i let fly right in front of my face daily without batting an eye (even won a WiiU from BK!) I'd be a hypocrite to be outraged now.

nomis

The new box art?

ALhgK.png

ibxoBMVDo3j1zq.jpg

Jawmuncher

The biggest issue here is that

No Game Fuel came out this year for Halo 4.
I know Pepsi Co. has basically changed gamefuel to every 2 years (So we should see some next year)
But its a shame that Halo the thing that started it, hasn't had another Game Fuel yet.

MrDaravon

The biggest issue here is that

No Game Fuel came out this year for Halo 4.
I know Pepsi Co. has basically changed gamefuel to every 2 years (So we should see some next year)
But its a shame that Halo the thing that started it, hasn't had another Game Fuel yet.

I'm drinking one right now.

MrDaravon

Wait when did this happen?
I was under the impression that no gamefuel was released this year?

No, it's the biggest part of the double xp/Mtn Dew/Doritos thing. We've known about it for months, shipped out to stores about 2 weeks ago.

That's Game Fuel in the Keighly pic.

MrDaravon

I don't have the link, but you can pull up on the Mtn Dew website locations near you that have whatever flavor you're looking for, someone posted it in one of the other Halo threads. I'm sure it's probably not 100% accurate, but maybe worth a shot? For what it's worth I didn't see any of it until today, but I would imagine as places re-order and go through stock it'll become a bit easier to find. I love the stuff when it's gone, but after the one I just had I think I'm good for a couple more years.

MaDGaMEZ

Neo Member
This was pretty easy parked outside had 1 bag of doritos and 1 dew i kept scanning the picture of at different 7-11s i visit anyway. Lol to the haters havent bought anything, already had purchased what i was scanning. Locust will be mine!

Lunar15

GAMING HAS GONE DOWNHILL, JUST LOOK AT THIS SHAMELESS MARKETING:

Final-Fantasy-VII-Cloud-Pepsi-Cardboard-Standup.jpg

Oh wait I meant to get a halo 4 promotion, give me a sec...

Red

Final-Fantasy-VII-Cloud-Pepsi-Cardboard-Standup.jpg

Oh wait I meant to get a halo 4 promotion, give me a sec...
There is a distinction here i think you are avoiding.

It might be comparable if a mobile final fantasy were released that required you to scan Pepsi labels in order to heal, and that sign featured Cloud drinking a Pepsi with a Big Mac in his free hand.

Ken

It might be comparable if a mobile final fantasy were released that required you to scan Pepsi labels in order to heal, and that sign featured Cloud drinking a Pepsi with a Big Mac in his free hand.

Also the ATB meter has to be filled with Pepsi.

Lunar15

Nah, I know, I'm just kidding around. I find the app just as disturbing/hilarious as anyone else. But it does go to show that cross promotion has existed for quite some time.

(although, I don't remember master chief actually holding a mountain dew in that sign... or doritos. Just saying)

Red

Nah, I know, I'm just kidding around. I find the app just as disturbing/hilarious as anyone else. But it does go to show that cross promotion has existed for quite some time.
Of course, but there is something exorbitant about the pictures in the OP.

Red

It's definitely ridiculous and overdone, but if it doesn't affect the quality of the game to you, the player, does it actually matter that much in the long run?

It probably matters as an endemic social issue, because whether or not they are the proper audience, kids are going to be influenced more and more by ads like this. Like you made a point of above, it's been going on for a long time. But this instance in particular is especially shameless. I look at it the same way I do those old films that tried to push cigarettes real heavy, that kind of insidious "cool" factor that is preying on people at the expense of their health.

Outside of that I think it's a fair observation to say that these sorts of advertisements (like the ones QisTopTier posted below) are juvenile and embarrassing.

The FF9 one does not bother me so much. That Uncharted one makes me cringe.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

http://www.videogameauctions.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Final-Fantasy-VII-Cloud-Pepsi-Cardboard-Standup.jpg[IMG]

Oh wait I meant to get a halo 4 promotion, give me a sec...[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDH140dLq5M[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5SEedyLDkU[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDfzdZqGoRU[/url]

Also baconsammy is being a little too defensive about this stupid "game" not too much of a shocker though

Flunkie

Banned
who gives a flying shit about promotions? unless there's branding actually in-game, this thread should not have so many whiners

Nert

who gives a flying shit about promotions? unless there's branding actually in-game, this thread should not have so many whiners

I've always known that standards for video games as a cultural medium have been low, but seeing people go out of their way to defend things like this is stunning. Not only is there branding in this game (the screenshots in the OP clearly demonstrate this), there is branding in the game's fucking title.

For emphasis: the name of the game is Halo 4: King of the Hill Fueled by Mountain Dew.

Red

I've always known that standards for video games as a cultural medium have been low, but seeing people go out of their way to defend things like this is stunning. Not only is there branding in this game (the screenshots in the OP clearly demonstrate this), there is branding in the game's fucking title.

For emphasis: the name of the game is Halo 4: King of the Hill Fueled by Mountain Dew.

I read it as "mutton dew." That's what I see whenever I read "mtn."

Top Bottom