• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4: King of the Hill Fueled by Mtn Dew coming to iOS [Update: Up On iTunes]

OK, your sensitivity settings might be on high here, I think we need a calibration. Sad, lame, same thing. You find it lame, not sad, I consider that the same idea.

Fair enough. I associate 'sad' with "Oh my god I cant believe gaming has stooped to this."

This is nothing new people.
Sony has done this many times.
Nintendo too.
Get over it...

Nintendo is doing it right now with Burger King. Good advertising both involved.

mzl.tmaouhfs.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.fagyojbw.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.uatgucnc.320x480-75.jpg

igdIOwaSJf9eE.gif

Coxy

It's been a great day, aided by the fact that I didn't spend a good deal of it wringing my hands or acting indignant over businesses marketing their products. Ooh look a rainbow.

Movies do it. Music does it. Sports do it. TV does it. But apparently video games should be above it. Video games should be above cross-promotional marketing...hooboy

Betra.jpg

Please noone buy this. Noone buy Mt Dew Halo Noone buy Doritos Halo. Noone buy the Aesthetic DLC.

Please as gamers stand up to this shit. If someone tried this in real life you'd punch them in the crotch. If your Significant Other tried this cheap insignificant things, you'd leave them for being so petty and greedy, and cheat on them with their best friend.

When I buy a game I want it to be like 95' where you got EVERYTHING in the game (without spending 15 bucks extra for the LE) and you got a colored instruction booklet that explained the story the with artist drawings how to play the game, and how to get past the first two levels, with a notes section so I can write the codes down.

Coxy

Yes, exactly what watching TV, going to a movie, watching sports is like..wait, they're not. But overreacting is much more fun than reacting normally, so proceed.

yup, not like a load of little pieces are cut out to tie to advertising, what was I thinking.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I just can't imagine sitting down and actually putting doritos and mountain dew into my body. What vile substances.

This shit is classic, though. Too goddamn funny to be offensive.

Gomu Gomu

I don't quite understand why marketing partnerships are bad...look at the Bond films - its a huge thing for them. This allows for games to market towards a larger audience, bring more people in and allow for more money to be spent on them.

I think the marketing is ineffective and stupid but that's a different criticism entirely.
No issue with teaming up with partners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yib_SGcUfF4 At least that is classy. This however seems bad. I am now ashamed to call myself a Halo fan, because when someone says a "halo fan", I'm imagining this extreme teen dude chugging his mtn dew and eating doritos. I don't want to look like that guy. I don't want to be associated with that guy.

Honestly, this is making the Halo franchise look bad in my opinion.

Fuck, it's over.

What's next? A Pokemon cartoon? Donkey Kong cereal? It's over man, we're all fucked. Might as well pack it in ... such a disgrace.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I've read the review on Destructoid and thought that it was a bad satire.

but this is real. Oh my

TheOddOne

At least that is classy. This however seems bad. I am now ashamed to call myself a Halo fan, because when someone says a "halo fan", I'm imagining this extreme teen dude chugging his mtn dew and eating doritos. I don't want to look like that guy. I don't want to be associated with that guy.

Honestly, this is making the Halo franchise look bad in my opinion.
You mean it gives a negative stereotype of fans? Yes, I agree but has nothing to do with the franchise. The problem lies with marketing, they are the only one who are to blame for this fiasco.

Oersted

It's been a great day, aided by the fact that I didn't spend a good deal of it wringing my hands or acting indignant over businesses marketing their products. Ooh look a rainbow.

Movies do it. Music does it. Sports do it. TV does it. But apparently video games should be above it. Video games should be above cross-promotional marketing...hooboy

All of them are critized depending on which kind of commercial. For example, the Olympics have been constantly critized for their McDonalds and Coke Cola partnership.

Additional, this story goes even further. This tie-in first appeared in front of us via Geoff Keighley. Imagine a politician newscaster in a interview only talking about if you join a politicial party, you get a tshirt for free and 50% off on their digital sales and how awesome this offer is.

Now we got Mountain Dew and Dorritos.

JeffGrubb

The game is to see how many bottles of Mountain Dew or Doritos bags you can buy to get ammo for a fucking game before you lose your last ounce of self respect.

You don't have to buy the Mountain Dew or Doritos, you just have to scan the front of the packages.

I love how these bloggers use the term "vocal minority" in EVERY SINGLE STORY that gets some kind of controversy around it.

From that link:
"He was especially responding to a vocal minority of gamers who spent the last week in an outcry over gaming personality Geoff Keighley sitting next to several bottles of Mountain Dew, bags of Doritos, and a cutout of Master Chief."

It is always used with the same meaning as "one or two babies who don't know what they're talking about." It's just used as a cheap dig to discredit any group of people.

Dennis

Banned

This could not be any more perfect.

The way that Geoff Keighley promo for Mountain Dew and Dorito treated the viewer like an idiot was straight out of Idiocracy.

Geoff might as well have mentioned how the Dew is full of electrolytes while he was at it.

JeffGrubb

I love how these bloggers use the term "vocal minority" in EVERY SINGLE STORY that gets some kind of controversy around it.

From that link:
"He was especially responding to a vocal minority of gamers who spent the last week in an outcry over gaming personality Geoff Keighley sitting next to several bottles of Mountain Dew, bags of Doritos, and a cutout of Master Chief."

It is always used with the same meaning as "one or two babies who don't know what they're talking about." It's just used as a cheap dig to discredit any group of people.

You're right. It's cliche, but I didn't mean it to belittle the "vocal minorities" opinion.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Is Mountain Dew/Doritos sponsoring Halo, or is it Halo sponsoring Dewritos?

Maybe they are just good friends helping each other out.

iammeiam

Is Mountain Dew/Doritos sponsoring Halo, or is it Halo sponsoring Dewritos?

Maybe they are just good friends helping each other out.

I like to think of Mountain Dew and Doritos as a couple of down-on-their-luck 20somethings about to be evicted from their apartment, and Halo is a wealthy guy whose girlfriend just kicked him out and needs a place to stay. They're helping each other out, finding a new identity as cross-market advertising sensations, and getting in to wacky hijinks when landlord 7-11 isn't looking.

sp3000

Wasnt the cheif plastered all over soda and pretty much every random thing you could find in the lead up to halo 3?

I'm pretty sure that was Microsoft. Even in this case the blame is not on 343. It's obvious why Bungie wanted to get away from them though.

Even though I'm no fan of Microsoft and Halo, I honestly can't see how this is as disgusting as some are making it out to be.

It's not uncommon for product placement tie-ins separate from the main product to go around. As long as the main product isn't negatively poisoned by product placement, then why is it a concern that Microsoft isn't "respecting the brand" and making little tie-ins for extra cash? If the main product starts to get negatively poisoned, then that will definitely be a cause for concern. Until then, this is just another silly marketing gimmick that they're doing to get people to buy Halo or Mountain Dew/Doritos, and can be ignored by Halo fans.

Nintendo's done product placement in side projects. How about the special version of Mario on NES based on the Japanese TV show "All Night Nippon?" I think Wave Race 64 and 1080° had tie-ins with Kawasaki and Tommy Hilfiger (those also had a presence directly in their games, but minimally). Those have not had a negative impact on their main games.

If there's someone to give a critical eye to, I don't think it should be at Microsoft advertising their game with popular snack products, but at any game reviewers who also fall into this advertisement scheme and whose opinions may be swayed. This is largely bad timing with the whole journalism ordeal.

So no, I can't see how it's so disgusting. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems pretty standard to me, and yet still better than what movies/TV does sometimes with blatant product placement in the middle of viewing.

What the hell is wrong with these companies? I swear this app is the most unjournalistic stuff I've ever seen! I sick of all these companies recieving payouts to force advertisements on me! After seeing this, I'm seriously offended at how this is setting our medium back by at least 40 years.

people are dumb :(

Top Bottom