• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4: King of the Hill Fueled by Mtn Dew coming to iOS [Update: Up On iTunes]

The new box art?

ALhgK.png

Somebody needs to upload that to the customer images section of the Amazon listing.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
How does the game actually work? Is it like that old Barcode Battlers in that you scan the codes in in order to inflict damage to other players (except that rather than the intrigue of scanning multiple barcodes in to find the ultimately broken OHKO weapon, you just scan multiple bags of Doritos and Mountain Dew, thereby forcing players to pay in order to get anywhere in the game)?

Because that very short trailer didn't show anything even remotely resembling skillful gameplay.

Mindwipe

How does the game actually work? Is it like that old Barcode Battlers in that you scan the codes in in order to inflict damage to other players (except that rather than the intrigue of scanning multiple barcodes in to find the ultimately broken OHKO weapon, you just scan multiple bags of Doritos and Mountain Dew, thereby forcing players to pay in order to get anywhere in the game)?

Because that very short trailer didn't show anything even remotely resembling skillful gameplay.

Haven't been able to play it, but it seems to be kind of like a Foursquare-esque Mayor mechanic.

You geo-log into a physical 7/11 store, and you're King of the Hill. If someone else wants to log in to that store, they have to kill your Spartan by shooting them. But you only have limited ammo to do so, so you reload by scanning the packs of Doritos or Mountain Dew. It's unclear if you'd have to open the packs to get the correct code or you could just do it in store, and if it's a one time redeption per packet.

I assume that there'll be some points mechanic for staying king for a given amount of time, and if you get enough points you unlock a code for one of the bits of DLC content or double XP.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Haven't been able to play it, but it seems to be kind of like a Foursquare-esque Mayor mechanic.

You geo-log into a physical 7/11 store, and you're King of the Hill. If someone else wants to log in to that store, they have to kill your Spartan by shooting them. But you only have limited ammo to do so, so you reload by scanning the packs of Doritos or Mountain Dew. It's unclear if you'd have to open the packs to get the correct code or you could just do it in store, and if it's a one time redeption per packet.

I assume that there'll be some points mechanic for staying king for a given amount of time, and if you get enough points you unlock a code for one of the bits of DLC content or double XP.

This sounds like... the inkling of a fantastic game idea, metamorphosed into the most horrendous fucking cash-in ever.

Goddamn this is just embarrassing, come on MS respect your franchise a little more.

Not remotely as embarrassing as the handwringing about it. Halo is a video game. Video games are targeted at an age group that apparently also consumes a lot of chips and soda (SURPRISE). This is intelligent marketing, much like Nathan Drake and Subway. I'd love if all publishers did this and it provided them the cash to continue franchises that seem to be dying off now. Don't like it, don't buy the chips, dont download the app, dont buy the game. But don't pretend that this is some huge affront to everyone's delicate sensibilities.

Interfectum

Not remotely as embarrassing as the handwringing about it. Halo is a video game. Video games are targeted at an age group that apparently also consumes a lot of chips and soda (SURPRISE). This is intelligent marketing, much like Nathan Drake and Subway. I'd love if all publishers did this and it provided them the cash to continue franchises that seem to be dying off now. Don't like it, don't buy the chips, dont download the app, dont buy the game. But don't pretend that this is some huge affront to everyone's delicate sensibilities.

Nah, it's still pretty damn embarrassing especially since a lot of the target audience can see right through this horrible marketing ploy.

Nah, it's still pretty damn embarrassing especially since a lot of the target audience can see right through this horrible marketing ploy.

Perhaps to you it is. I'm a realist. I live in the world that's seeing dev houses shutting down left and right. If Nintendo wants to do tie-ins with Burger King/Mcdonalds, Sony is tied to Pepsi/Subway, Microsoft to snack foods, I couldn't give a shit. If it helps them stay afloat, good. I'm personally not offended if Pokemon characters end up in Happy Meals. Don't like it, don't buy it.

Right there with you. Cancelling my pre-order until they release an Android version.

No that's funny. Even if it is coming from someone that attends Tractor College.

Interfectum

Perhaps to you it is. I'm a realist. I live in the world that's seeing dev houses shutting down left and right. If Nintendo wants to do tie-ins with Burger King/Mcdonalds, Sony is tied to Pepsi/Subway, Microsoft to snack foods, I couldn't give a shit. If it helps them stay afloat, good. I'm personally not offended if Pokemon characters end up in Happy Meals. Don't like it, don't buy it.

I didn't realize the Halo franchise was on the brink of sinking Microsoft. I'm glad Pepsi could save them from closing the studio.

Yet, nobody is in uproar when professional sports does the same thing.

Yep. The NFL is basically sponsored by Pizza, beer, and boner pills. Soccer players are essentially billboards now, just like Nascar drivers and their cars. It's amusing when gamers assume our hobby is somehow above this sort of thing. Or that we should even be above this sort of thing.

I didn't realize the Halo franchise was on the brink of sinking Microsoft. I'm glad Pepsi could save them from closing the studio.

Good job missing the larger point. The NFL isn't struggling for cash either, and guess what THEY STILL ADVERTISE. It's called being smart.

I don't quite understand why marketing partnerships are bad...look at the Bond films - its a huge thing for them. This allows for games to market towards a larger audience, bring more people in and allow for more money to be spent on them.

I think the marketing is ineffective and stupid but thats a different criticism entirely.
No issue with teaming up with partners.

I'm sorry you have such a low opinion of yourself. Would you like to buy some Hamburger Helper™ to brighten up your cloudy day?

It's been a great day, aided by the fact that I didn't spend a good deal of it wringing my hands or acting indignant over businesses marketing their products. Ooh look a rainbow.

I don't quite understand why marketing partnerships are bad...look at the Bond films - its a huge thing for them. This allows for games to market towards a larger audience, bring more people in and allow for more money to be spent on them.

I think the marketing is ineffective and stupid but thats a different criticism entirely.
No issue with teaming up with partners.

Movies do it. Music does it. Sports do it. TV does it. But apparently video games should be above it. Video games should be above cross-promotional marketing...hooboy

Interfectum

It's been a great day, aided by the fact that I didn't spend a good deal of it wringing my hands or acting indignant over businesses marketing their products. Ooh look a rainbow.

I'm sure Pepsi, Frito-Lay and the rest thank you for coming to their defense. We should never question or criticize anything because "bu bu the NFL does it LOL be smart." Heaven forbid gamers (or anyone) fight to keep this garbage from being associated with products they happily buy and enjoy. Can't wait for the day when corporate logos are plastered right on to the in-game armor of our characters. They do it in NASCAR afterall, why not Halo?

If you become king of the mysterious, Dew-powered Hill, you can win some fantastic Halo 4 prizes! We all like prizes. I'm going to Tweet for some as soon as I've finished writing this. Answer your thirst for victory, and stuff it down the throat of doubt. Sodamn good!

At this point I'd like to remind you of the refreshing taste of Doritos. Using a unique blend of corn, chemicals, and even ingredients, the Frito-lay family strikes gold with every bold new flavor it produces. From Cheese to Flavors Other Than Cheese, you can count on Doritos to be the arbiter (like in Halo) of your party snack choices.

Combined with Mountain Dew, you have the perfect covenant (Halo again) of satisfying crunch and quenching refreshment. I don't know about those bad guys called The Flood, but I'd certainly love it if my house was flooded with Mountain Dew. Until it attracted ants.

Just quoted part of it, the whole thing is pretty funny.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
What's the deal with iOS trailers being 10+ minutes long? I clicked on a Rayman trailer the other day and it was 15 minutes.

It's not a trailer. Someone captured gameplay footage.

Someone does that for all the major releases, kind of like quicklooks I guess

Movies do it. Music does it. Sports do it. TV does it. But apparently video games should be above it. Video games should be above cross-promotional marketing...hooboy

It's not so much about a game and marketing tie-in. Yeah, that's a staple of entertainment. It's just hilarious that they made a game out of a marketing tie-in. Some of us seem to just find that incredibly sad.

It's not so much about a game and marketing tie-in. Yeah, that's a staple of entertainment. It's just hilarious that they made a game out of a marketing tie-in. Some of us seem to just find that incredibly sad.

Why is it sad? They're making use of new media/tech. Is this particular promo lame to me? Yep. Is it sad? Nope. It's interactive advertising. Pretty creative too. And also really easy to avoid. Sad to me was fast food companies sponsoring the Olympics. Actually more funny than sad, to be honest.

If you become king of the mysterious, Dew-powered Hill, you can win some fantastic Halo 4 prizes! We all like prizes. I'm going to Tweet for some as soon as I've finished writing this. Answer your thirst for victory, and stuff it down the throat of doubt. Sodamn good!

Sterling likes to tweak the GAF.

Why is it sad? They're making use of new media/tech. Is this particular promo lame to me? Yep. Is it sad? Nope. It's interactive advertising. Pretty creative too. And also really easy to avoid. Sad to me was fast food companies sponsoring the Olympics. Actually more funny than sad, to be honest.

Sterling likes to tweak the GAF.

OK, your sensitivity settings might be on high here, I think we need a calibration. Sad, lame, same thing. You find it lame, not sad, I consider that the same idea.

Top Bottom