• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

AzerPhire

I don't like how they changed a large amount of stuff from the previous games either. I'm fine with retcons or changes but they just made most of it worse.

Care to elaborate on this? I thought they stuck to the expanded universe (Books, comics, etc) better than Bungie ever did.

And I absolutely disagree with you on your comment about the sounds. Everything about the sounds (With the exception of maybe the warthog) is just better here.

nbraun80

The game arrived earlier today, just finished it. While i did enjoy it, it was very disappointing. The music and weapon sounds are underwhelming, most of the music isn't very memorable. Story wise the pacing didn't seem right and there was a lack of proper character interaction.

I don't like how they changed a large amount of stuff from the previous games either. I'm fine with retcons or changes but they just made most of it worse.
I totally disagree. The music you may have a point on, but im not looking for a hit song, just good atmosphere which it had. The weapons sounds amazing, most sounds tough and mean, and less popular guns like the carbine sounded tough. And I don't get the lack of proper character interaction, there was a lot of it especially between chief and cortana and all of it felt very real and many times emotional.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Finished the campaign last night in 5 hours on normal. A lot of great stuff, and a few things disappointed me. Anyone else think the watchers are completely useless? They only take 3-4 shots with a DRM / BR/ LR and you always have to kill them first so they never really do anything in the game, at least for me. Obviously it will be different on legendary, but still...

I don't like the warthog sound. It sounds way too revved up now like a drag racer.
This. Holy shit, it's so annoying in this game =/

Game looks incredible though, and the campaign has a lot of "Holy shit" moments, and some of the best vehicle sequences from any Halo game.

I'm seeing a lot of people saying that the sound effects in this game are unimpressive. Are you kidding me? I don't think I have played a game that has better sound design in recent memory.

When you throw grenades they click and clack against metal surfaces before exploding. When you pass by machinery or computer terminals you can hear fans whirring and other industrial noises.

Weapons sound powerful and echo throughout the multiplayer environments.

and last but not least,

THE PLASMA PISTOL. It actually sounds like it has kick. The plasma that shoots out sounds like it would burn and melt your skin.

I'm too early in the campaign to judge the musical score, but jesus the sound effects are impressive. They clearly spent a lot of time with sound design.

Finished the campaign last night in 5 hours on normal. A lot of great stuff, and a few things disappointed me. Anyone else think the watchers are completely useless? They only take 3-4 shots with a DRM / BR/ LR and you always have to kill them first so they never really do anything in the game, at least for me. Obviously it will be different on legendary, but still...

This. Holy shit, it's so annoying in this game =/

Game looks incredible though, and the campaign has a lot of "Holy shit" moments, and some of the best vehicle sequences from any Halo game.

On normal? lol... xD

I entered the code for my limited edition armor on the Xbox Dashboard but I dont see it in game.

Is there something else I need to do?

EDIT* Nevermind

kurahadol

Is anyone having problems joining friends games? Whenever I try it says joinable, then I click to join and it says UNABLE TO JOIN PARTY QUEUE. My system is set on DMZ so I have no idea why this might be happening.

I'm seeing a lot of people saying that the sound effects in this game are unimpressive. Are you kidding me? I don't think I have played a game that has better sound design in recent memory.

When you throw grenades they click and clack against metal surfaces before exploding. When you pass by machinery or computer terminals you can hear fans whirring and other industrial noises.

Weapons sound powerful and echo throughout the multiplayer environments.

and last but not least,

THE PLASMA PISTOL. It actually sounds like it has kick. The plasma that shoots out sounds like it would burn and melt your skin.

I'm too early in the campaign to judge the musical score, but jesus the sound effects are impressive. They clearly spent a lot of time with sound design.

I would agree for the most part. My only complaints are the DMR and the warthog. Both just sound off and can get irritating after hearing it for a little while.

Yeah I would agree. It sounds kind of wimpy and can get irritating.

I disagree. It certainly sounds different than it has in previous games which can be jarring at first, but I think that it sounds like how it appears. The warthog is essentially a Humvee/ATV hybrid. I think the new sound tends to bring out the ATV qualities a bit more than in previous games. The warthog now sounds like the ATV's older heavier brother.

Nope, still confused.

I entered the limited edition codes on the xbox dashboard and I'm not seeing the armor skin in the game.

What else do I have to do?

Raiden

Banned
So i have been totally out of the loop on this one. I was planning on making Halo 4 being the 2nd game i bought this year, its cold and i want to get a bit into gaming again. But whats wrong with the reviews? Gamerankings has it at 87%? Even Reach has 91 something and cant say i was a big fan of that.

Give it to me straight whats wrong with it?

Care to elaborate on this? I thought they stuck to the expanded universe (Books, comics, etc) better than Bungie ever did.

And I absolutely disagree with you on your comment about the sounds. Everything about the sounds (With the exception of maybe the warthog) is just better here.

It's not really the expanded universe, i just mean changes from previous games.

I'm fine with retcons or changes but i really did not like the new Marine armour, it was too curved and didn't look anything like the previous versions. It made them seem more generic and looked like something from Mass Effect. I really didn't like the new Pelican, Broadsword or Mammoth either. They don't fit in with the other UNSC vehicles at all - colours are different, which would be fine if the Warthog and Scorpion didn't have the old colours still, and they lack the straight lines and rounded corners all other UNSC vehicles have. The Pelican having a large ramp also seemed a bit silly

I did enjoy the game, but i expected better. The story was over far too quickly (both pacing and mission length) and there was a complete lack of any real character interaction or development (other than with Cortana).

Story wise there were a few things i didn't like:
The Mammoth only had 2 turrets. Seems a little silly to have such a huge target and then give it pretty much nothing to defend itself with. There was a complete lack of any proper space battles or anything that involved UNSC ships other than the Infinity, i don't remember seeing any others. Chief also refused to acknowledge his past with Lasky, which made having him in the game kind of pointless as he didn't really have an impact on anything. I expected the Infinity crashing to be a bit more important but there is 1 mission involving it and than it's all sorted out.

I totally disagree. The music you may have a point on, but im not looking for a hit song, just good atmosphere which it had. The weapons sounds amazing, most sounds tough and mean, and less popular guns like the carbine sounded tough. And I don't get the lack of proper character interaction, there was a lot of it especially between chief and Cortana and all of it felt very real and many times emotional.

Compared to the music in previous games there is only 2 pieces of music i can really remember. The majority of the music in the other Halo games was great but in this it mostly seemed fairly generic. Most of the weapons are great, it's just some of the Covenant weapons i didn't really like as they are completely different from the previous games, and some seem to sound a bit weaker.

Rev3rb

So i have been totally out of the loop on this one. I was planning on making Halo 4 being the 2nd game i bought this year, its cold and i want to get a bit into gaming again. But whats wrong with the reviews? Gamerankings has it at 87%? Even Reach has 91 something and cant say i was a big fan of that.

The reviewers are idiots.

Walshicus

Is anyone having problems joining friends games? Whenever I try it says joinable, then I click to join and it says UNABLE TO JOIN PARTY QUEUE. My system is set on DMZ so I have no idea why this might be happening.
Yes! It capped off a fucking frustrating 4 player attempt to get past the Forerunner Ghost run with iron...

I disagree. It certainly sounds different than it has in previous games which can be jarring at first, but I think that it sounds like how it appears. The warthog is essentially a Humvee/ATV hybrid. I think the new sound tends to bring out the ATV qualities a bit more than in previous games. The warthog now sounds like the ATV's older heavier brother.

That's sort of my issue with it though. It's this big meaty vehicle carrying around multiple Spartans and it sounds like it has an atv engine that's constantly revved. I'm sure I'll get used to it though.

ShogunX

Well despite everybody being entitled to their opinion it would appear a few reviews have been overly critical to gain more clicks. I mean we had one reviewer tell us that Halo needs to freshen up and adopt the COD corridor shooter mechanic.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Dude, I enjoyed the crap out of RE6 and it has a metacritic rating of 67. I haven't played Halo 4 but I'm pretty sure you are likely to enjoy it if you like Halo.

I'm about to go scoop this game...

Does it matter what retailer I get it from? Was just planning on running by Target or Best Buy but I can go to Gamestop if they have special elbow pads or something.

work is dragging today and i need to hit the gym before i get home, cant wait to check this game out tonight, MP first, campaign later this week.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
God fucking damn it. I'm playing my first game of MP go 19-0 with one kill to win and get sniped to destroy my perfection on my first game =/

Monocle

Does Waypoint have a way to track your campaign stats when you're offline? I just noticed my Xbox had disconnected itself sometime during mission 4, and while my mission progress is correct on the campaign screen, my career stats tell me I only played the campaign up to mission 3. How annoying. Am I out of luck here?

Also, I can't access Spartan Ops. I get a screen with three cards that say "The Halo 4 server is not available." Kind of lame. I thought Spartan Ops was going to be playable offline.

Subitai

I did Solo Legendary in 7 hours 59 minutes and 52 seconds :p
This saddens me. Halo CE and Halo 2 took days to get through a level. It would take hours in the sandbox to try and figure out how to get around a group of Elites/Brutes running you down or counter sniping Jackals.

Oh well. The music and Spartan Ops make up for it I suppose.

Also, who has Mantis stories to share! :D

I'm about to go scoop this game...

Does it matter what retailer I get it from? Was just planning on running by Target or Best Buy but I can go to Gamestop if they have special elbow pads or something.

target gives $10 gift card for halo 4 + doritos ($3.29) or mountain dew ($5)

best buy have a deal if u buy with gold membership ($20 + 800MP if I recall)

watership

What's wrong is that a few bad reviews out of 60+ reviews can skew an aggregate score and make people wonder what's wrong with said game.

Fuchsdh

This saddens me. Halo CE and Halo 2 took days to get through a level. It would take hours in the sandbox to try and figure out how to get around a group of Elites/Brutes running you down or counter sniping Jackals.

Oh well. The music and Spartan Ops make up for it I suppose.

Also, who has Mantis stories to share! :D

Days to finish a level? That is definitely an outlier in campaign playthroughs.

Some were complaining it's too COD, others were saying it's too Halo. One star reviews bring the overall score down a lot.

Go figure.

Wouldn't it have made more sense if we were fighting Brutes instead of elites? I thought they were our bros now. As someone who didn't read any of the books other than reach years ago, I would have been more open to them being the enemy given how 3 ended.

Sounds all sound amazing to me on my home theater game is amazing, best halo since 2.

Yeah I actually thought the sound was so amazingly good it would be one of those extremely rare cases where everyone agrees. Ok, maybe I was asking the impossible but still the sounds across the board are phenomenal.

Monocle

The game arrived earlier today, just finished it. While i did enjoy it, it was very disappointing. The music and weapon sounds are underwhelming, most of the music isn't very memorable. Story wise the pacing didn't seem right and there was a lack of proper character interaction.

Your complaints are mystifying. 343 outdid Bungie in almost every way with Halo 4's campaign. While I definitely still prefer Marty's music, Davidge's fits the game much better than I expected, and there are a number of standout tracks. The character interaction, story, and sound effects are significantly better than those of all the previous Halos. And while it has to be said that Halo CE has some of the best level design and pacing in the series (the whole campaign still holds up brilliantly), Halo 4 gives it a strong run for its money in those areas.

Basically, Halo 4 (mostly) outdoes Halo 2, 3, and Reach—all of which I love. One has to give credit where's it's due.

Wouldn't it have made more sense if we were fighting Brutes instead of elites? I thought they were our bros now. As someone who didn't read any of the books other than reach years ago, I would have been more open to them being the enemy given how 3 ended.

You have to read the books, unfortunately.

Preorder bonuses can only be used with the account they're redeemed on. For some reason, it doesn't work like every other game where any profile on the same console can use it. Kind of shitty,

Top Bottom