• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

So how do I get my preorder bonuses? My Gamestop receipt has no code on it and I haven't received an email from Best Buy with any codes

Your in-store GameStop receipt should have had codes printed on it. Go back to the store, show them your receipt and see what they can do for you.

My receipt had seven different codes on it.

Simo

Your in-store GameStop receipt should have had codes printed on it. Go back to the store, show them your receipt and see what they can do for you.

My receipt had seven different codes on it.

Did anyone else's GameStops experience a problem last night with printing the codes? Our store wasn't able to and said it was a company wide problem and that I had to come in today to get them.

the font is wayyyy too small and hard to read in mp in splitscreen eg "you killed player x" or "killed by player x". it was much better in reach without the all caps and tiny ass font.

am I the only one???

and also, the new radar is a downgrade. diamonds to show players above or below you???? only way to differentiate is a stupid thin arrow above or below the diamond, ridiculous. the previous games' triangle to show players above you, much better

I want to be able to glance at the radar not stare at it to try to decipher what the hell it's trying to show.

god, the game is great but there are so many flaws and downgrades in multiplayer. don't even get me started on the lobby.

I have had zero issue with font size... How big is your TV, what resolution are you running at?

The new radar is a bit weird to get used to, but makes perfect sense IMO. You can tell if a player is on your level, below you, ontop of you, or in a vehicle... Not sure what you're complaining about at all.

I am not sure why I am defending this game to you, since it seems like no matter what I say you will put a negative spin on it.

What's in the silver packet in the limited edition? I would prefer to not open it.

NVM watched an unboxing vid and am glad I left it alone.

Popeck

Nice, thanks again. ;)

Any more tips for the Multiplayer are welcome!

No need to aim all the shots at the head with DMR, BR, Light rifle and Carbine, just the last one. It's easier to hit on the body, but it may take some time to actually learn this skill.

StranGER

or go buy an 8 gig USB stick for $10 at a drug store.

Good idea. Last time I hooked up a reg USB stick it froze my console though and I had to send it to ms for repair so a bit hesitant.

How much space does it need for install. It doesn't tell me when I try and install it.

Kud Dukan

So I decided to pick up the Halo 4 console this morning. That thing looks way better in person than it looked from those images. Love it, and that 320GB HDD is going to come in handy big time. Now just gotta finish up a few things, then it's Halo for the rest of the day!

Olivero

Legendary run complete. Took me around 9 hours.

MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD.
Seriously, don't read this unless you want significant spoilers.

Loved the first scenes of Requiem. Didact was neat. Hated constantly having to blow up power units/shield units. The flying level was terrible. Iffy on the Librarian accelerating John's evolution... Cortana... I seriously hurt after that. All in all, fantastic. Chief taking his armor off at the end was just heartbreaking.

Just started level 3 and the chief has already pressed more buttons and switches than there's been in the other halo games. Does it continue like this? I don't know why but every time I see him interacting with a thing, I'm reminded of Duke Nukem Forever. Not that they're alike in any kind of way, I'm just getting weird flashbacks to that stupid stupid game.

What's up with the quality of the music? It's really low, doesn't sound good at all.

Often doesn't even match what's going on during cutscenes, as though Davidge wanted too much money to score those, too.

Mr.Fresh

Good idea. Last time I hooked up a reg USB stick it froze my console though and I had to send it to ms for repair so a bit hesitant.

How much space does it need for install. It doesn't tell me when I try and install it.

Amazon has 16 Gn for $10 you need 8 plus more for the upcoming spartan ops missions. I'm using the Sandisk one from amazon and it works flawless!

FyreWulff

My basic take home reaction to this game. Played in co-op, splitscreen, with my brother. Started shortly after midnight and finished about a half hour ago.

It has the heart of the Bungie Halo games, but not the soul.

The encounters were fun. Near the end it started suffering from Halo 1/2-itis where they started abusing teleporting and long gravity jumps to stretch out content.

The story starts jumping around. I've only paid attention to key points from the books, and I still got lost. And I'm one of those people that didn't get lost during Halo 2. I'm going around, then suddenly the Librarian shows up, and now Chief has SSJ2 unlocked within 3 sentences of her mentioning something about him being the destiny and next thing I know, Didact is melting's people's faces off. It felt like levels or entire lead-ups were missing at certain points.

Wraiths are total assholes in this game.

Still don't know what to think of the ending.

After that story, I'm really glad Bungie stayed away from Chief. I think they were tired of this Ultimate Chief style of story from Halo 2 / 3. I much preferred their more personal stories of Reach and ODST.

Also, the use of "don't make a girl a promise" felt forced in this one. It was a nice piece of symmetry / bookending from Halo 2 to Halo 3. Shouldn't have used it in this game. Especially since she already goes on about him wanting to save her in much better ways in other parts of the story.

A good first effort, solid work.

Sai-kun

Banned
Ugh Spartan Ops is tough on your own. Each chapter has taken me around 20 minutes to do except the first, which took like 15. If they deliver this kinda stuff every week, damn, that'll be awesome.

Anyone pick up the LE guide? I impulse bought it just cause its Halo I usually skip guides. Can anyone comment on the quality?
Not sure if I'll open it yet.

Lakitu

st5fu
Just had my first game of big team slayer... 10 kills and 11 deaths. Not good but for me someone who's used to just playing Battlefield 3, I thought I was ok. I enjoyed it, looking forward to play some more later.

Andrew.

Banned
So would you guys say KZ2/3 still sets the bar in terms of graphics and detail this gen for a console FPS or has Halo 4 dethroned it?

Dreaver

Quick question, how much space do I need if I only want to install the multiplayer? The only desire I have for tonight.

Majanew

Banned
Loving the game. Co-op is great - only on the 4th mission, I believe; and played some CTF on Ragnarok that was pretty fun. Amazing visuals, much improved sound.

My few minor complaints so far:
Once again, you can't adjust the music's volume. Makes zero sense. Yeah, the music is good, but let me turn it down in the menus for Pete's sake.
Reticles for guns look to have some ghosting.
Some minor framerate hitching here and there. Even in some cutscenes.
Audio is slightly muffled/low bit in some of the cutscenes.
Having to unlock stuff like emblems is beyond dumb.

rakka

I have had zero issue with font size... How big is your TV, what resolution are you running at?
are we talking the same thing ? in splitscreen, 720p, 32" HDTV, the text to show who killed who is tiny as shit. did not have this problem in reach multiplayer splitscreen.

bungie had always taken care of the splitscreen players. I feel that 343 hasn't done a good of a job as them in that regard.

The new radar is a bit weird to get used to, but makes perfect sense IMO. You can tell if a player is on your level, below you, ontop of you, or in a vehicle... Not sure what you're complaining about at all.

I like the vehicle feature. never said that was a problem. I clearly stated triangles are much clearer than a diamond with arrow over it. why change it? there is no clear advantage.

I am not sure why I am defending this game to you, since it seems like no matter what I say you will put a negative spin on it.
you make it sound like I'm some sort of hater. Im voicing my concerns because halo 4 is what I'll be playing exclusively until the next halo game is released. I don't play anything else.

Raven77

Played a bunch of Multiplayer last night. Here are my impressions of the MAPS only so far, havent touched single player. Most of what you find below is just my opinions and i'm sure some will disagree which is fine.

Also I am just a casual Halo multiplayer...player so i'm not going to talk "UBER MLG PLAYERZ" strategies here:

ABANDON:
225px-Abandon2.jpg

- Small but lots of pathways and some elevation.
- Really reminds me of a Halo 2 map in its style.
- Not bad but sort of forgettable, nothing mind blowing here.
- No vehicles.
- Overall rating: 7/10
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADRIFT:
225px-Adrift.png

- Seems small at first but has some great height and long sight distances.
- Very impressive graphically, cool effects and skybox / background.
- Quite a fun map, some corridors, some open areas, ramps, some forerunner guns available.
- Sort of a "night map" if you will, somewhat darker than most the others.
- No vehicles.
- Overall rating: 8.5/10
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COMPLEX:
225px-COMPLEX.jpg

- Great size, long sight distances, some open areas.
- Clean and bright graphically, nothing fancy but nothing that will obstruct your ability to see other players from far away.
- Some smaller indoor areas, map sort of reminds me of a hugely expanded version of the Reach map Powerhouse.
- Some vehicles, no tanks.
- Overall rating: 9/10

EXILE:
225px-Exile_1.jpg

- Good size, long sight distances, some open areas, but too cluttered.
- Clean and bright graphically like Complex.
- Larger open areas that are obstructed by too many objects and clutter, could have been a nice wide open map like Ragnarok, instead it feels like a missed opportunity.
- That being said, the map is still very fun in its own right.
- Some vehicles.
- Overall rating: 8/10

HAVEN:
225px-Haven.png

- Decent size but mostly walkways and long hallways.
- Pretty amazing to look at, really "heavenly" feel to it. Bright whites, blues and silvers abound here and its all metalic.
- Unfortunately, outside of the visual grandeur here, the map is forgettable, nothing really sticks out in your mind outside of the background elements and visual flair. Not every map has to be big to leave an impression, this just has nothing that sticks in my memory.
- No vehicles
- Overall rating: 6.5/10

LONGBOW:
225px-Longbow.png

- Good size, nice somewhat open areas, sort of reminds me of Exile in that in my opinion it would have been served to be a bit expanded and open.
- If you love snow maps, this is for you. Awesome glacier and ice effects, snow flies through the air, makes you shiver lol.
- Lots of long sight lines, some out of the way paths to take, a great map overall
- Lots of vehicles

MELTDOWN:
225px-Screen_Shot_2012-10-16_at_10.45.07_AM.png

- A strange map, seems big and open at first, but its really some muti-leveled rocky pathways running circular around the edges of a confusing underground'ish tunnel area in the center. Also some indoor areas around the perimeter
- Nice and atmospheric with some awesome backgrounds. Very rocky, very cool looking.
- Some decently long sight lines, cool weapons (the Forerunner grenade launcher thingie makes an appearance here)
- some vehicles
- Overall rating: 8/10

RAGNAROK:
225px-Map_ragnarok_halo_4.jpeg

- Its Valhalla, if you've played that, you've played this.
- More atmospheric than the original. Ground is less grass and more dirt.
- SPARTAN MECH!!! nuff said
- Lots of vehicles

SOLACE:
225px-Halo-4-Solace-map.jpeg

- This map is like a many layered mystery, at first you think "hmm, this is like a bigger version of Guardian (Halo 3)
20070922170044%21Guardian_Infobox.jpg

But then you start exploring the visually awesome run-down ruins, the many leveled branching pathways and realize this is something special.
- Sort of a dark map, lots of sight lines, upper pathways lead to fun vertical gameplay.
- No vehicles

VORTEX:
Halo4_Vortex_103012_225.jpg

- For Halo 4 standards, this map is enormous! Super long sight lines, wiiiide open.
- Graphically incredible, a huge-white-lazer-thing looms above the battlefield, the ground and sky are awash in a weird purple color...amazing.
- Some indoor areas, lots and lots of wide open ground to cover.
- This is the crowning jewel of the map selection.
- Lots of vehicles
- Overall rating: 9.5/10

Below are the 3 Forge Environment maps. Overall they are just...not good, so lower your expectations. I am NOT BASING THE BELOW on their "potential" for Forge, just basing them on the map as a part of regular multi-player rotation.

RAVINE:
gallery_1_204_541732.png

- The name is very fitting, this map should have been dumped into a ravine full of human and animal waste. Now I get it, its a forge world map, but I want to rip this map apart anyway so humor me :)
- To play this map is to play a version of Blood Gultch that the games developers let their kids come into the office and create. Their kids were Call of Duty fans, blindfolded while creating it, and given only 20 minutes to finish.
- A small, jumbled mess of random rocks, structures, cliffs that you'll frequently fall of when first starting to play (because the game has what looks like paths that lead you right off the edge), and COMPLETELY POINTLESS VEHICLES. Do I really need a warthog to drive 17 feet to the center of the map?
- A turd, skip whenever possible.
- Overall rating: 3/10

EROSION:
Halo-4-Erosion-Forge-Map.jpg

- Boring in every possible way, the ground is the color of Mexican dinner fueled rocket propelled diahreah, pointless "door ways" at the top.
- Sort of takes place on a "hill side" with small outcroppings.
- Some indoor areas (one 50 foot long pointlessly straight hallway and one 15 foot "room")
- Boring but not as bad as Ravine...shiver
- Decent selection of vehicles, tank, turrets
- Overall rating: 7/10

IMPACT:
images

- Large open circular area. Not much in the way of strict indoor areas.
- Graphically has an amazing skybox as a big orange yellow energy band streaks the sky and is rimmed by a string of asteroids. Has a very Mass Effect feel to it.
- Long sight distances, and somewhat wide open. Easily the best out-of-the-box forge multi-player map.
- No vehicles
- Overall rating: 7.5/10

Thanks for reading! Feel free to disagree or offer your own opinions.

So would you guys say KZ2/3 still sets the bar in terms of graphics and detail this gen for a console FPS or has Halo 4 dethroned it?

Killzone 2 and 3 are more detailed than Halo 4 but in terms of art and scale, they're a good bit behind. Both series look great though, so it's really up to personal taste.

The game arrived earlier today, just finished it. While i did enjoy it, it was very disappointing. The music and weapon sounds are underwhelming, most of the music isn't very memorable. Story wise the pacing didn't seem right and there was a lack of proper character interaction.

I don't like how they changed a large amount of stuff from the previous games either. I'm fine with retcons or changes but they just made most of it worse.

Played a bunch of Multiplayer last night. Here are my impressions of the MAPS only so far, havent touched single player. Most of what you find below is just my opinions and i'm sure some will disagree which is fine.

Also I am just a casual Halo multiplayer...player so i'm not going to talk "UBER MLG PLAYERZ" strategies here:
Thanks for these! I still have 6 hours or so until I can get my hands on the game.

KaYotiX

Banned
The game arrived earlier today, just finished it. While i did enjoy it, it was very disappointing. The music and weapon sounds are underwhelming, most of the music isn't very memorable. Story wise the pacing didn't seem right and there was a lack of proper character interaction.

I don't like how they changed a large amount of stuff from the previous games either. I'm fine with retcons or changes but they just made most of it worse.

Sounds all sound amazing to me on my home theater game is amazing, best halo since 2.

H3xum

I skimmed a few pages and didn't see any issues, but, just by any chance has anyone experienced a lot of issues joining friends on playlist?

It says Joinable then we click on it and it'll instantly change to not joinable.

He's level 5ish but his SR is 1, so perhaps its server side? Just need to wait for a fix?

Andrew.

Banned
Mission 1
that elevator shaft sequence, although short, was really well done. It was like a QTE segment without the prompts. Everything just clicked quickly and easily. MC's head turns, move stick in that direction and success. Genius. Simple, but genius.

Top Bottom