• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Fehyd

Banned
Hmmm, anyone else have a glitched achievement/challenge from Spartan Ops?

beat all of the current spartan ops missions on legendary, I did it, don't have the challenge listed as completed or the achievement

anyone else have this issue?

Hey You

Shoulda have had a beta test, we could have prevented this from happening 343.

inb4 Reach had launch day issues and had a beta

2San

Yeah something is wrong with the servers I can play online, but I can't join my friends. I can't even join an Xbox on the same router. I can't select my personal loadouts either only the predefined ones. "Halo 4 Servers are not available. Please try again later." I get that message as well, but I can join matchmaking. :|

Darklord

Banned
I dunno, I'm at about level 4. Just feels like another Halo game but prettier. Barely any story so far, the levels feel closer to like delta Halo from the 2nd game(not a good thing). It's okay. That's all, just okay.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Has anyone played it on Legendary co-op yet? Curious how the difficulty stacks up to previous Halo games.

Havok

Has anyone played it on Legendary co-op yet? Curious how the difficulty stacks up to previous Halo games.
Coop Legendary is a breeze, even with just two people. Focusing fire on any enemy melts them in a heartbeat. Skulls are almost required to make something like 4p Legendary even a slight challenge.

Seance

Banned
Dat legendary ending.

Also, what gives with the matchmaking? Host migrations every five seconds, servers down already....... Booo.

Blueblur1

I dunno, I'm at about level 4. Just feels like another Halo game but prettier. Barely any story so far, the levels feel closer to like delta Halo from the 2nd game(not a good thing). It's okay. That's all, just okay.
I just posted in the other thread but this seems to better describe how I'm feeling. I'm at the third level now and I'm starting to enjoy it more though.

LordAlu

Any UKgaf order from ShopTo? I don't know where to find my pre order emblem :(
Login to your account on ShopTo, then click on Orders. Click on your order for Halo and when it loads there should be a button at the bottom that says "Activate Code". Click that and your download code will be revealed :)

Matchmaking's not working for me.
It isn't for me either - tells me the Halo 4 servers are offline and whilst I can look for games it won't find any other players. Also doesn't show my correct emblem or current armour setup either.

Try to active some skulls:

Famine - Weapons drop much less ammo.
Tilt - Enemy resistances and weaknesses are increased.
Mythic - Enemies have increased health.
Catch - Enemies are grenade happy!
Black Eye - Shields don't recharge unless you melee enemies.
Tough Luck - Enemies always go berserk, always dive out of the way, and never flee.
Iron - Co-op: Back to previous checkpoint on death. Solo: Restart mission on death.
Thunderstorm - Major upgrade to the capabilities of enemies.
Cloud - Motion sensor is disabled.
Cowbell - Acceleration from explosions is increased.
IWHBYD - Rare combat dialogue becomes more common.
Grunt Birthday Party - Headshot a Grunt, HAPPY BOOM TIME!
Blind - The HUD and the first person arms and weapon are hidden.

This and legendary...

Petrichor

Your complaints are mystifying. 343 outdid Bungie in almost every way with Halo 4's campaign. While I definitely still prefer Marty's music, Davidge's fits the game much better than I expected, and there are a number of standout tracks. The character interaction, story, and sound effects are significantly better than those of all the previous Halos. And while it has to be said that Halo CE has some of the best level design and pacing in the series (the whole campaign still holds up brilliantly), Halo 4 gives it a strong run for its money in those areas.

Basically, Halo 4 (mostly) outdoes Halo 2, 3, and Reach—all of which I love. One has to give credit where's it's due.

gameplay-wise I don't like it as much as halo 3. The enemy sandbox isn't as varied and resultantly encounters get a bit samey around halfway through the game. The levels all feel quite cramped compared to the huge, open spaces in the ark and the covenant in halo 3, which is another downside.

It's at its best when it's throwing all the brand new sandbox elements at you at once, particularly in your first encounter with the prometheans in mission 3. It's just a shame there's so few of them.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Coop Legendary is a breeze, even with just two people. Focusing fire on any enemy melts them in a heartbeat. Skulls are almost required to make something like 4p Legendary even a slight challenge.

Huh. Interesting. What do the other players spawn as in 2-4 player legendary? Other spartans? MC clones?

- Campaign is kind of boring. Amazing graphics though.

- No OT in CTF? 343 wtf? We stole their flag and right as we went to cap, game over. We were literally standing on our capture point.

- Boost Dodge is worthless. Too short. It switches to 3rd and there's an animation lag so you can dodge and shoot. You cant only dodge, wait, and die.

- Life is so nuch lower, geez. I don't mind this....yet.

- Armors are ridiculously nice.

- I like the auto pickup in oddball and ctf

- slowdown in mp :(

For the people saying the game is too easy, try turning on some skulls, the game will not be th same...

Too easy, really? It is significantly harder on normal compared to Reach's normal. I am already scared of my inevitable Heroic run.

HALO REACH is the only fps I have been able to beat the campaign on its hardest level. Just seeing how much more difficult Halo 4 is has me thinking a solo Legendary run won't be happening. Technically I know I could get thru on Legendary solo but it wouldnt be fun at all for me. Dont get me wrong I like achievements and what-not but I don't do the achievements that aren't fun.

Petrie

Banned
Nice I didn't realize the game came with 14 days of XBL. I can hold off buying a subscription.

Some did. Others like me are still hoping some kind soul has a 48 hour trial to spare so they can see if this game is worth re-subbing to Gold for.

:/

So I know there is an option to make the right stick click sprint, as it is in COD.

However, does that option require that I use that awkward left stick zooms, but you need to press it again to unzoom feature so many were complaining about earlier?

Havok

Huh. Interesting. What do the other players spawn as in 2-4 player legendary? Other spartans? MC clones?
Yeah, just clones of the Chief. In QTE segments and the various first person vignette-y sequences, they watch from player 1's perspective.

thetrin

Yeah, just clones of the Chief. In QTE segments and the various first person vignette-y sequences, they watch from player 1's perspective.

I loved that the 2-4 players in Halo 3 were unique characters. Was kinda hoping that in Halo 4, they'd be Infinity spartans or something.

You have to read the books, unfortunately.

Yeah, I figured. I don't have a problem with incorporating the expanded fiction but it feels like it's dropping the player in pretty cold. There are covenant to fight because that's what you do in a halo game rather than take up where 3 left off.

The game is still great but narratively, it really seems like the Halo for the fans of the franchise rather than the fans of the games.

Monocle

gameplay-wise I don't like it as much as halo 3. The enemy sandbox isn't as varied and resultantly encounters get a bit samey around halfway through the game. The levels all feel quite cramped compared to the huge, open spaces in the ark and the covenant in halo 3, which is another downside.

It's at its best when it's throwing all the brand new sandbox elements at you at once, particularly in your first encounter with the prometheans in mission 3. It's just a shame there's so few of them.
Fair points. I'm actually not a huge fan of the Prometheans in general. They seem designed to annoy rather than creatively engage players, unlike the Covenant.

thetrin

Yeah, I figured. I don't have a problem with incorporating the expanded fiction but it feels like it's dropping the player in pretty cold. There are covenant to fight because that's what you do in a halo game rather than take up where 3 left off. The game is still great but narratively, it really seems like the Halo for the fans of the franchise rather than the fans of the games.

I always disliked how they ignored the expanded fiction in past games, and now it sounds like they might have included too much without context for those not acquainted with the expanded universe.

I guess I'll see for myself when I pick up my copy.

No...no no no no nooooo.

Me: "Awww yea game time tonight after work!!"

Wife texts: "Hey honey, is it alright if we invite ________ and ______ over for dinner tonight?"

Me: "What...b-b-but...but- FFFFFFF UUUUUUU!!!!!!"

I always disliked how they ignored the expanded fiction in past games, and now it sounds like they might have included too much without context for those not acquainted with the expanded universe.

Yeah, I don't think it's bad or anything but as someone who knows enough about the Halo lore to be dangerous, it seems like this weird combination of new and old. And hey, it might even get me to pick up a book or two so mission accomplished I guess.

EvB

pr

I'd actually say it's fairly minimal. I've never ventured into the books but I did watch Forward Unto dawn and it was mostly pretty straightforward.
If you haven't watched FUD yet, I'd recommend it.

Top Bottom