• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Petrie

Banned
In love with the campaign already, so good.

Didn't get my 2 week live code though, and not looking to subscribe fully as I don't do much MP, but would love to give it a go. Does anyone have a spare 48 hour code or somesuch laying around that they could spare? I'd be so eternally grateful.

Darklord

Banned
The mixing in the audio sounds off to me. Like the voices are clear but the music and ambient sounds weak. I never had that in any other games. I was fiddling with my speakers thinking it was them but nothing changes it.

2 hours of sleep thanks to MP and I feel like hammered poopy. Damn, is the MP good though. The loadout thing does not bother me as much as I first thought it would. Everyone use to run for the BR but now you can just start with the DMR and you are off to the races. The hologram is really useful and I have used it to great effect so far. Nothing like running under a bridge that has an enemy on it, kneel and use the hologram, then wait for them to jump down and try an assasination on air, only to grab them yourself and break their back. So good.

The mixing in the audio sounds off to me. Like the voices are clear but the music and ambient sounds weak. I never had that in any other games. I was fiddling with my speakers thinking it was them but nothing changes it.

I did not experience this but I had my volume cranked. I think Borderlands 2 is super guilty of this, and I hope they fix it in a future patch.

ironcreed

Banned
Got my copy. Would have hated to see the crowd there last night, as there was a line a mile long this morning. Going to pop it in here in a bit.

The_Monk

Ok my fellow GAFfers I know this thread runs fast but I need your kind help. I just got myself the Halo 4 Limited Edition.

Here's what I played:

-Finished Halo 3 at a friend's house.
-Started but never finished Halo ODST since I never owned the game.

Have:

-Halo Reach Limited Edition which I finished
- Halo (the first one from the original Xbox, it runs on 360 but I never finished it)

Multiplayer Experience:

Only a little bit from Reach, I got my ass kicked badly.

Since my LIVE will run out soon (sad face...) I think I may try Online first, but can someone give me any tips on the Multiplayer?

I can't say that this game plays like [Insert Game here]. I played from COD to BF3 and MOH, regarding FPS's.

If you can help me a bit, thanks a lot, since the 360 is not my main console I also don't believe to have a solid base to play this game in a teamwork way.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You don't have a modern gaming PC, do you?

Sorry, im just bitter I don't have my copy yet.
Honestly, from what I've seen, I would put this up against most shooters on the PC. Of course the PC has an advantage in terms of framerate and image quality, but the actual visual assets on display in Halo 4 are strikingly incredible. It's amazing to consider what is being done with such ancient hardware.

Walshicus

Okay, a big Fuck You to whoever built and playtested the mission Forerunner with four players and iron. Hour and a half later...

Anyone got any tips?

Mr. Sam

Sorry BritGAF, some of us had the foresight to get on Sainsbury's £30 pre-order! (I'm terribly sorry - I can only imagine your pain.)

Just burned through the first hour or so of the campaign. Quite easily the prettiest Halo game - and I always liked the aesthetics anyway - and some nice twists on the old formula. The first few chapters are feeling a still feeling a little too familiar, mind you, but I imagine things will be getting mixed up shortly. Fun is being had.

Multiplayer Experience:

Only a little bit from Reach, I got my ass kicked badly.

Since my LIVE will run out soon (sad face...) I think I may try Online first, but can someone give me any tips on the Multiplayer?

I can't say that this game plays like [Insert Game here]. I played from COD to BF3 and MOH, regarding FPS's.

If you can help me a bit, thanks a lot, since the 360 is not my main console I also don't believe to have a solid base to play this game in a teamwork way.

Keep your crosshair glued on opponents. The difference between Halo and most shooters is that you need precision (consistent accuracy) rather than just immediate twitch accuracy alone. New players tend to be okay on the first shot but proceed to freak out when they realize they're getting shot too. If you keep your focus and your aim, the rest will come over time.

Sanjuro

Successful first night of Halo 4.

Six hours of gameplay after midnight, four hours of sleep.

Got to Rank 20 online and beat first level campaign legendary. Love the game.

rObit

Banned
Anyone know how much I can expect to pay for a small hard drive at GameStop? I'm still rocking the old 20gig, so I'll need a dedicated one for H4.

The_Monk

Keep your crosshair glued on opponents. The difference between Halo and most shooters is that you need precision (consistent accuracy) rather than just immediate twitch accuracy alone. new players tend to be okay on the first shot but proceed to freak out when they realize they're getting shot too. If you keep your focus and your aim, the rest will come over time.

Thank you kind sir.

Another thing I see on Streams and such is that, there is one gun that is one-shot burst that people use it a lot, there's an option to zoom it but nobody uses it that way, they don't aim the gun. Is that the best way to play? It seems harder that way.

I also saw from Streams a 3 round burst and every guy with the weapon I described above would try to pick that up as a back up (I think?).

343 Gents: There's some sort of bug or design decision with the CODfriendly Fishstick layout. If you tap Scope, it acts as a toggle. This is very much not what I want it to do. If I go for a momentary scope to take a shot, I end up stuck in scoped view, with my finger off the left trigger.

This got me killed repeatedly over the course of the night. Please consider either changing it to never toggle, or add an option to configure that behavior - I don't ever want my scope view 'sticking'

Holy shit, THIS. I thought I was just sleep deprived and last night a d screwing up my zoom. Did not realize that it was a toggle. I need this the Fishstick left trigger aiming to only be enabled as long as I'm holding the left trigger.

Victrix

*beard*
Holy shit, THIS. I thought I was just sleep deprived and last night a d screwing up my zoom. Did not realize that it was a toggle. I need this the Fishstick left trigger aiming to only be enabled as long as I'm holding the left trigger.

Yeah I'm really hoping that gets nuked in a patch soon, it makes me look and feel like a clumsy moron when I get stuck in a scope, ESPECIALLY if I happened to tap it, spotted/heard/had an enemy called near me, released immediately and... welp, still stuck in scope, slowly rotating left while a dude walks up and shanks me.

Shadybiz

Time to learn how to open my nat -.-.

Ha, it's not too bad, as long as you know how to log in to your router. Good luck!

Man...I need to learn to stop coming in to these threads. Was going to have the wife buy me this for Christmas; going to be tough to hold out!

The reason its done this way is that right thumbstick has always been the default zoom, so you need to toggle it to be able to aim freely. If I was using the left trigger for aim, I would also want an option to take toggle off.

Maiger

Just got an email that the store I bought my game from had problems with getting them and they just now managed to send them to customers, so I won't be getting mine most likely before Friday.. This is a sad day.. But at least I could spend these couple of days doing something productive. Or not, I'll just keep watching more Halo stuff.

Thank you kind sir.

Another thing I see on Streams and such is that, there is one gun that is one-shot burst that people use it a lot, there's an option to zoom it but nobody uses it that way, they don't aim the gun. Is that the best way to play? It seems harder that way.

I also saw from Streams a 3 round burst and every guy with the weapon I described above would try to pick that up as a back up (I think?).

Play whatever feels right to you. If the enemy is really far away, zooming is a good strategy. Halo is a sandbox shooter, so its all about experimenting with what works best for you; that's half the fun!

Victrix

*beard*
The reason its done this way is that right thumbstick has always been the default zoom, so you need to toggle it to be able to aim freely. If I was using the left trigger for aim, I would also want an option to take toggle off.

Right, that's the problem - toggle makes sense when its a button, it doesn't make any when its an analog trigger, and even less if the point is to emulate cod style adsing.

I honestly can't even recall if you can set ads to a toggle in cod, I've never used or seen it used that way :V

This is the first Halo where not only was the manual just legalese 90 day warranty junk but it was printed on the back of the front cover. I am disappoint but man this multiplayer is soo good!

Lakitu

st5fu
Finished the campaign. Well done 343. I think the story is nicely done but nothing special, I won't go into details. The cutscene direction is incredible.

From a gameplay perspective, it was really enjoyable and they successfully mixed things up to make the game feel fresh with interesting scenarios. The levels are varied and really well done without really hitting the highs of Halo 1 and 3. But overall I'd rate it above 3 and just below CE / Reach (yes, I love it). I'd need to replay it again though sometime in the future.

A lot of talk about how great the game looks and yeah it does look phenomenal and what really sells it for me is the care and attention put into the environments / art direction.

The music and sound effects could be better, the slower tracks sound good to me but I'm not feeling the more upbeat tracks at all and the sound effect of the warthog drives me insane.

I was a little cautious about it but after completing this, I know the series is in very good hands. An encouraging and brilliant first step for 343, hopefully they can do even better. Can't wait to see where they take the series next.

Going to play some multiplayer at some point and spartan ops later in the week with some mates.

ttocs

Finished the campaign. Well done 343. I think the story is nicely done but nothing special, I won't go into details. The cutscene direction is incredible.

From a gameplay perspective, it was really enjoyable and they successfully mixed things up to make the game feel fresh with interesting scenarios. The levels are varied and really well done without really hitting the highs of Halo 1 and 3. But overall I'd rate it above 3 and just below CE / Reach (yes, I love it). I'd need to replay it again though sometime in the future.

A lot of talk about how great the game looks and yeah it does look phenomenal and what really sells it for me is the care and attention put into the environments / art direction.

The music and sound effects could be better, the slower tracks sound good to me but I'm not feeling the more upbeat tracks at all and the sound effect of the warthog drives me insane.

I was a little cautious about it but after completing this, I know the series is in very good hands. An encouraging and brilliant first step for 343, hopefully they can do even better. Can't wait to see where they take the series next.

Going to play some multiplayer at some point and spartan ops later in the week with some mates.

Damn, you finished it already? How long is it?

Andrew.

Banned
I cant believe you guys finish this shit so quickly. I'm so glad I work over 50 hours a week and am playing on Heroic. This will last me at LEAST through the three day weekend.

rakka

the font is wayyyy too small and hard to read in mp in splitscreen eg "you killed player x" or "killed by player x". it was much better in reach without the all caps and tiny ass font.

am I the only one???

and also, the new radar is a downgrade. diamonds to show players above or below you???? only way to differentiate is a stupid thin arrow above or below the diamond, ridiculous. the previous games' triangle to show players above you, much better

I want to be able to glance at the radar not stare at it to try to decipher what the hell it's trying to show.

god, the game is great but there are so many flaws and downgrades in multiplayer. don't even get me started on the lobby.

Level 23 in MP so far, as someone who couldn't stand Halo since Halo 3, this is a better game than either of the last 2 releases. It feels like Reach without the bullshit--better tech, no ridiculous bloom, great starting weapon options no matter the playlist...the game is really shining. It's BUTTERY smooth.

Maps seem better than Reach so far, easily better than Halo 3. Not Halo 2 o CE tier though.

Not sure what I prefer between the DMR and Battlerifle. The BR is inferior in terms of long range but it's more forgiving due to the spread/burst fire. The DMR just doesn't miss though. Love em both, and it shows jus how far Bungie had a stick up their ass for Reach.

Played a few Spartan Op missions. Kind of a letdown. It's not so much the amateur quality of the map design/mission structure--I was pretty much expecting a linear firefight mode with cutscenes, but the enemy placement is just I didn't give any fucks bad.

I'm talking Phantoms literally dropping like 20 elites across wide open ground with no cover options. Just reallyyyyy lazy shit.

It's coop so its fun enough and a great addition, but goddam.

So how do I get my preorder bonuses? My Gamestop receipt has no code on it and I haven't received an email from Best Buy with any codes

Top Bottom