• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Yager

Banned
I beat the game a couple of hours ago. The only thing I want to say is: thank you 343, you've done an amazing job. This was the campaign I enjoyed the most in the entire series. I'm noy saying it's the best one, but yes the one I've enjoyed the most. Amazing game.

njean777

anybody else feel that the grenades are really underpowered and sound like crap when they explode? I swear they never felt this weak in all the other halo's. (1,2,3)

Well, I'll try entering the FUD code when I fire up the game again today.

Just want to make I got everything from the LE.

No once you first begin there are only a few u can use. It sounds like you got everything. It feels a little light but that is because the biggest amount of content isn't available until December I believe. Its essentially the season pass that sells seperately for 2000 MS Points.

anybody else feel that the grenades are really underpowered and sound like crap when they explode? I swear they never felt this weak in all the other halo's. (1,2,3)

I always thought the frag grenades in Halo 3 were super weak. The plasma grenades were strong in that game though. I feel like they made frags slightly more powerful, and plasmas slightly less so in 4. I could be imagining things though.

taoofjord

Sorely disappointed before level 1 ended. AI doesn't seem to be anywhere near as good and the feel of aiming/looking is bad. There's a larger dead zone than halo had and the acceleration curve is too slow. Raising the sensitivity doesn't help as I haven't found a setting that fixes the issues it has.

The guns are weaker and as someone else stated, the hit reactions aren't as good.

There's also small things missing that Bungie always seemed to feel was important such as dirt being kicked up by the Warthog or rolling down a hill/cliff after a gun shot. Do vehicle huds still animate based on your driving speed? The sound and music aren't as good either.

Graphics are beautiful though. At times it seems amazing that these graphics could be powered by a 360.

Lol you guys...

"Graphics are the best I've seen on consoles."

"Jaggiez, low res textures, etc"

"OMG the weapon sounds are amazing, the music is great"

"Weapons don't sound that good, bring Marty back"

Fuck, which one is it!?

Grisby

No once you first begin there are only a few u can use. It sounds like you got everything. It feels a little light but that is because the biggest amount of content isn't available until December I believe. Its essentially the season pass that sells separately for 2000 MS Points.
Thanks for the help bud. All of this unlock stuff is weird. Wish they just showed the full locked list instead of just popping up.

Majanew

Banned
I think it was like that in Reach as well, you have to resume your checkpoint for it to work properly.

There was no checkpoint. I selected start campaign on the far right and it took us back to the beginning of mission 3, so I backed out and selected mission 3 bravo - we even had most of that section passed. They need to change this for Halo 5.

Lol you guys...

Fuck, which one is it!?

The graphics are amazing but you can tell what shortcuts they took to reach there(there are jaggies but their AA solution is pretty damn good, the textures are low res in many places but are hidden by good art design and great lighting/post process effects). There is also some pop-in in certain places even with the game installed but it's very minor and unnoticeable for most people I feel.

The sound design is great but it's not as punchy as Reach's sound effects and the music although amazing doesn't match up to Marty's.

Well, I'll try entering the FUD code when I fire up the game again today.

Just want to make I got everything from the LE.

Actually if you go to the very first post in this thread it will tell you exactly what is in the LE. It confirms what I speculated in that you unlocked the War Games Season Pass that sells for 2000 MS Points. Those Map Packs come later with the first one dropping in December.

It also tells you the exact armor and weapon skins you get. Check it out it should answer all your questions.

Unity2012

Last nite--or this morning, I played 3 SP missions in co-op. I am really enjoying the Campaign.

The game looks, sounds and plays great. It is Halo with not just a sugar coat but a new attitude and enough changes to adapt but without losing the core of the game's history.

I found interesting to read concerns about how the music is not Halo-ish enough; but then also concerns about how the game is too Halo-ish yet... I think they found a perfect balance for a game with such a big fan base.

I believe someone at 343i once said, they were evolving not reinventing the franchise; and they've done a great job in my opinion.

I played the MP for a little bit and decided to give the SP a shot before venturing further into unknown territory. The MP is definitely faster and, even though, familiar still takes a while to get used to all the changes and pace--which is very welcome!

Thank you 343i. After playing only for a few hours; I am confident you guys will continue to do great things with this new phase of the franchise.

The graphics are amazing but you can tell what shortcuts they took to reach there(there are jaggies but their AA solution is pretty damn good, the textures are low res in many places but are hidden by good art design and great lighting/post process effects). There is also some pop-in in certain places even with the game installed but it's very minor and unnoticeable for most people I feel.

The sound design is great but it's not as punchy as Reach's sound effects and the music although amazing doesn't match up to Marty's.

But all halos have some low res textures, we are talking about a 7 years old console, even the top PS3 games have low res textures.

Sorely disappointed before level 1 ended. AI doesn't seem to be anywhere near as good and the feel of aiming/looking is bad. There's a larger dead zone than halo had and the acceleration curve is too slow. Raising the sensitivity doesn't help as I haven't found a setting that fixes the issues it has.

The guns are weaker and as someone else stated, the hit reactions aren't as good.

There's also small things missing that Bungie always seemed to feel was important such as dirt being kicked up by the Warthog or rolling down a hill/cliff after a gun shot. Do vehicle huds still animate based on your driving speed? The sound and music aren't as good either.

Graphics are beautiful though. At times it seems amazing that these graphics could be powered by a 360.
I feel pretty much the exact opposite. Aiming and shooting feels really good, better than ever, and the guns feel more powerful. The sound is amazing, the warthog sounds meaty and mean, all the guns sound great, and the ambient sounds are wonderful too. Only thing we agree about is the graphics, holy crap. They're imcredible

george_us

I feel pretty much the exact opposite. Aiming and shooting feels really good, better than ever, and the guns feel more powerful. The sound is amazing, the warthog sounds meaty and mean, all the guns sound great, and the ambient sounds are wonderful too. Only thing we agree about is the graphics, holy crap. They're imcredible
Agreed with all of this. The game overall has a much better sense of weight and physicality to it that the previous Halo games lacked imo.

But all halos have some low res textures, we are talking about a 7 years old console, even the top PS3 games have low res textures.

Oh don't take my comment as a complaint. I just notice these things and I understand the limitations of the console. I consider Halo 4 the best looking 360 game(better than crysis 2 even).

Finished it on Heroic.

First off, the non-spoiler bits.

The game plays very nicely, though it can be very unforgiving. Prometheans are tough as nails, and don't seem to have a real weakness. Having one take your shields down and then charge you can be infuriating. Heck, I'll be honest, I didn't really enjoy fighting them on Heroic. They were too tough, imo. Maybe it just takes some getting used to, or maybe...

It's because I couldn't find any good weapons anywhere. I seriously spent half the game running around with a goddamn Supressor and Boltshot, simply because all my other weapons ran out of ammo that quickly. Prometheans take an ungodly amount of punishment before going down. There were a lot of weapons I enjoyed playing with, but the game pretty much made it impossible to keep carrying them around.

Vehicles, on the other hand, are extremely well done. Loved them all, from the Mantis to the old favorites. Haven't tried a Wraith yet, but I'm sure it's fine too.

Now, on to presentation: the game looked good. Really good. Yes, some weird design decisions (I'm still not a fan of the Chief's armor), but the game itself looks really good. Two missions in and I was already lamenting the loss of campaign theater even more. Some truly spectacular sights in there.

But: those cutscenes can't have been in-game. Most of them, anyway. You could see it in the way they were made, heck, in the way the sound was compressed. It sounded awful, didn't look right either. Music hardly ever fit to what was onscreen either, and when it did it was full of noise. Very disappointed in that regard, though I shouldn't be surprised. Guess I'm glad we don't have to watch those from Waypoint.

Music in general was very disappointing, definitely not mixed as well as Marty and Jay did. You often only had one long track playing, which didn't react to the player's actions at all. A very far cry from the previous Halo games.

The sound design, on the other hand, is superb. Weapons sound meaty, voice actors do a very competent job, everything sounds right.

Now, the spoilered thoughts. Do NOT read this if you haven't finished the game yet.

Ending was
fucking underwhelming
. Seriously.
It also explains nothing. How the hell did Cortana, a freakin' hologram, get the Chief out of that Forerunner ship when the nuke detonated in his hands? And don't get started about 'luck'. Having the game end with the Chief just standing there, I dunno. It wasn't good. That post-credits sequence should've come before them. Maybe they could've given us something actually tantalising as a gift for sitting through them then. For all the care that went into it, it all felt very sloppy, and very much not-Halo. Maybe Halo Wars.

On the other hand: the Forerunner story was well-presented. I'm interested in the rift between the Didact and the Librarian, it'll be very interesting to find out what happened when we get Silentium in our hands. Also, I'm suspsecting players who haven't read the books are going to be fucking lost. The Didact needed more exposition: 343 tried to make him the Chief's nemesis, but they kinda failed. We just didn't know what drove the guy, except for a hatred for humanity.

The Didact and the Librarian also looked ridiculous. Good thing both of them are dead. No idea what the rest of the Reclaimer trilogy is going to be about, but they threw their big bad into a black hole, there's no coming back from that.

Then again, the Chief did detonate a nuke in his hands and walk away unscathed. There's precedent.

I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of anything right now.

So, all in all, I'm kinda torn on this game. It plays like a Halo game. I had a lot of fun beating it, and I'll gladly do so again. I'll probably bump the difficulty down to Normal once I'm done with Legendary, but I'll definitely play it again. 343, congrats, you made a game that plays like Halo.

The presentation, however, was not Halo. The way the cutscenes and music were implemented wasn't very good. It just didn't do it for me.

Tl:dr: Gameplaywise, I'm happy: I got more Halo to play. Storywise, however, I feel let down.

EagleEyes

Exactly. Every game has had to make shortcuts. This is bar none the best looking console game out there and i've played all the big ones on 360 and PS3. And this one actually has online campaign co-op and sandbox vehicle sections unlike the other big graphically impressive games on consoles. :)

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

This is true, but in comparison to say Halo 3 and Reach, Halo 4 sacraficed some texture detail for an overall more stunning graphical look.

Just as Halo 2 sacraficed Halo CE's detail textures for other more obvious graphical improvements.

CyReN

What we would like out of a patch if possible

• Ability to drop the flag
  • Static weapon timers
  • Assault gametype
  • Join-In-Progress toggle
  • Sprint toggle
  • Visible ranks (I know, I know)
  • Auto-pickup toggle
  • Playlist overhaul (snipers, doubles, merge Obj playlists, etc.)
  • Active Roster in alphabetical order
  • Theater for Campaign/Spartan Ops.
  • Campaign scoring/timers
  • Spectator Mode
ps: we think the game is really good.

madmackem

Wow the kill cam is even worse than on cod, watching it sometimes the person killing me isnt even aiming at me. I think there servers are getting hammered as some games are very laggy and i have a 80/20 fibre line.

Haha some of those user scores on metacritic are insane.

"I can't believe they did this The game looks worse than halo 3 and plays worse too. I can't believe I even thought for a second this would be a good halo game.

0/10"

Is anyone else having serious connectivity issues only in Halo 4? It says the matchmaking servers are having errors, it won't load my Spartan IV armor, etc..

What is this heresy ;[

I should note that all of XBL is working fine for me, even the party chat. Only in Halo 4 do these problems occur..

-EDIT-

XBL says this about Halo 4 service issues.

StranGER

Ok. Was looking on amazon today for a hard drive and found one for 40 bucks. But after the reviews I read it says only OEM hard drives work with Xbox live updates and 1st party software.

I'm dying to get this going but if I have to spend 100+ on a hard drive and 67 on the dang game I'm halfway to buying the 400 dollar halo Xbox.

I'm on the fence about buying this game. How is the multiplayer? I loved halo 2 online, halo 3 was good too. Did not like reach at all, game felt off. Is there still bloom? Sprint? Jetpack? Load puts? Is there a classic playlist?

Yager

Banned
Finished it on Heroic.

First off, the non-spoiler bits.

The game plays very nicely, though it can be very unforgiving. Prometheans are tough as nails, and don't seem to have a real weakness. Having one take your shields down and then charge you can be infuriating. Heck, I'll be honest, I didn't really enjoy fighting them on Heroic. They were too tough, imo. Maybe it just takes some getting used to, or maybe...

It's because I couldn't find any good weapons anywhere. I seriously spent half the game running around with a goddamn Supressor and Boltshot, simply because all my other weapons ran out of ammo that quickly. Prometheans take an ungodly amount of punishment before going down. There were a lot of weapons I enjoyed playing with, but the game pretty much made it impossible to keep carrying them around.

Vehicles, on the other hand, are extremely well done. Loved them all, from the Mantis to the old favorites. Haven't tried a Wraith yet, but I'm sure it's fine too.

Now, on to presentation: the game looked good. Really good. Yes, some weird design decisions (I'm still not a fan of the Chief's armor), but the game itself looks really good. Two missions in and I was already lamenting the loss of campaign theater even more. Some truly spectacular sights in there.

But: those cutscenes can't have been in-game. Most of them, anyway. You could see it in the way they were made, heck, in the way the sound was compressed. It sounded awful, didn't look right either. Music hardly ever fit to what was onscreen either, and when it did it was full of noise. Very disappointed in that regard, though I shouldn't be surprised. Guess I'm glad we don't have to watch those from Waypoint.

Music in general was very disappointing, definitely not mixed as well as Marty and Jay did. You often only had one long track playing, which didn't react to the player's actions at all. A very far cry from the previous Halo games.

The sound design, on the other hand, is superb. Weapons sound meaty, voice actors do a very competent job, everything sounds right.

Now, the spoilered thoughts. Do NOT read this if you haven't finished the game yet.

Ending was
fucking underwhelming
. Seriously.
It also explains nothing. How the hell did Cortana, a freakin' hologram, get the Chief out of that Forerunner ship when the nuke detonated in his hands? And don't get started about 'luck'. Having the game end with the Chief just standing there, I dunno. It wasn't good. That post-credits sequence should've come before them. Maybe they could've given us something actually tantalising as a gift for sitting through them then. For all the care that went into it, it all felt very sloppy, and very much not-Halo. Maybe Halo Wars.

On the other hand: the Forerunner story was well-presented. I'm interested in the rift between the Didact and the Librarian, it'll be very interesting to find out what happened when we get Silentium in our hands. Also, I'm suspsecting players who haven't read the books are going to be fucking lost. The Didact needed more exposition: 343 tried to make him the Chief's nemesis, but they kinda failed. We just didn't know what drove the guy, except for a hatred for humanity.

The Didact and the Librarian also looked ridiculous. Good thing both of them are dead. No idea what the rest of the Reclaimer trilogy is going to be about, but they threw their big bad into a black hole, there's no coming back from that.

Then again, the Chief did detonate a nuke in his hands and walk away unscathed. There's precedent.

I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of anything right now.

So, all in all, I'm kinda torn on this game. It plays like a Halo game. I had a lot of fun beating it, and I'll gladly do so again. I'll probably bump the difficulty down to Normal once I'm done with Legendary, but I'll definitely play it again. 343, congrats, you made a game that plays like Halo.

The presentation, however, was not Halo. The way the cutscenes and music were implemented wasn't very good. It just didn't do it for me.

Tl:dr: Gameplaywise, I'm happy: I got more Halo to play. Storywise, however, I feel let down.

Ending spoilers:

The thing about the ending and how the chief was saved, I think it's not that difficult to explain. Cortana spent the last 2-3 missions teleporting you everywhere. Maybe she teleported Chief just when he pushed the button, considering she was inside the system of the ship that doesn't sound crazy to me.

LosDaddie

Banned
Damn, I hope 343 fixes the server issues before ~8pm tonight when I get on. :lol

I probably won't even try the campaign until this weekend.

They are activists. Some of the 0's are there solely to "balance the overly positive reviews." So it's not just children, it's full grown man children. In any case, most exclusive games go through that issue. User reviews are largely useless on Metacritic for video games. I can read a book or film review on Amazon and get very good information. I cannot say the same for the largely idiotic video game audience.

Indeed.

I used to think User Reviews were the honest, unbiased ones to read when I first started my e-career. Then I started posting on gaming forums. Doesn't help when SonyGAF loses its shit over an 8/10 for UC3.

TUROK

Lol you guys...

Fuck, which one is it!?
They're all correct.

Graphics are amazing, but at the same time there's shortcomings, like subpixel and shader aliasing, texture pop-in, some low res textures, smaller dynamic lighting radius, and particles that fade quickly.

Some of the weapons sound really good, others sound really bad, and some just sound okay.

Compare the assault rifle sound in Reach to the assault rifle sound in Halo 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMXZ31lpI3Y

The Reach one sounds more realistic due to the reverb, and I think it sounds more powerful.

I like most of the music, but it doesn't mesh as well with the gameplay like Marty's score did with previous Halos.

While I'm liking what I've played so far, I would not call it the best Halo game.

Edit: Wasn't 343 responsible for the sound design in Halo Anniversary? Because that game sounds much better than 4 does.

Havok

Ending was
fucking underwhelming
. Seriously.

If you haven't already, watch the terminals. They contain vital story content that directly addresses a lot of your issues, and I desperately wish the game had included and forced people to watch. That doesn't excuse the lack of those things in the main game, though, because I felt the same way you did.

Re: your first point -
The idea is that Cortana, since she was plugged into the Didact's ship, had control of the hard light resources, which is why she was finally able to materialize herself and "touch" Chief, as well as hold Didact down and protect the Chief from the blast. Why that continued after the ship was blown up....well, video games I guess.

Top Bottom