• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

HiiiLife

Is it me or do you need a party to succeed in Halo online? I'm not saying you can't win with randoms but damn.. I never noticed it was this much of a struggle until a couple hours ago. I hate to bring it up but I seem to hold my own ALOT better in CoD when I'm with randoms. I need more friends on Halo. Lol.

Homeboyd

Have only been able to play like 30 seconds on my lunch break... My favorite thing so far:

The cowboy hat on the UNSC grenade is still in!

:)

StranGER

Wtf happened to the warthog sound?

Sounds like I'm playing a cheap monster truck game.

Also does ANYONE know if I buy a non OEM hard drive for a slim if it will not be compatible with live updates and 1st party games?

I was reading mixed reviews on amazon.

JimiNutz

Banned
Just finished campaign. Enjoyed it (gameplay wise I think it's the best campaign), but no idea what the hell happened in that ending. Will save the discussion for the spoiler thread but it was very 'out there'...

Only big disappointment for me was the heavy amount of Covenant involvement (spent more time fighting them than the new enemies). The music was also a little forgettable (but may grow on me).

RdN

Having some trouble finding matches now.. I really don't understand, there's not that many people online for the servers to being able to handle.

Andrew.

Banned
Thanks to Baconsammy for reminding me I could tweak controls a bit since I wasn't diggin clickin the left stick to sprint.

The "Boxer" setup:

B to sprint
Left trigger for melee
Right bumper for naders

Lovin it.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I live in Atlanta. My copy of Halo 4 shipped from Tennessee and was listed as out for delivery at 3:00 AM this morning. Had the game shipped to my workplace...and UPS has already been by...with nothing. I LOL'd.

Lingitiz

The campaign's gameplay seems like the most well designed in the franchise in regards to enemy encounters. The dynamics between fighting covenant and Promethean force you to constantly switch between different strategiesz

The MP feels so damn good. I know its early, but I feel like it's resonating with me right away, similar to the first time I played Halo 2. Definitely didn't get that feeling with Reach.

Plasmid

Is the halo 4 server actually down? Its saying there are 27,000 in infinity slayer and it's not letting me join anyone or play spartan ops :(

Binary rifle Knights might be my favorite Halo enemy ever. So damn tense fighting them!
Haha I feel the complete opposite, especially on Legendary. The one shot enemies are either capable of being taken down in one shot themselves, like the FRC Grunts or Jackal snipers, or they're limited to close range like the sword Elites and scattershot Knights. When you give one of those bastards a ranged instakill but also allow them to soak up damage? Awful. It just feels like a gamble if you're going to survive the encounter.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Whelp, now I feel like an ass for telling people to trust Amazon. They fucked my order up and now it won't be here till tomorrow.

Never again. Prime cancelled and I'll never get a new game there ever again.

Stat!

Uh-oh. I didn't know I needed 8 GB of hard drive space. I'm still using the old console with a 20GB hard drive. Eek.

Is there any way around this so I don't have to delete the two games I have installed?

Uh-oh. I didn't know I needed 8 GB of hard drive space. I'm still using the old console with a 20GB hard drive. Eek.

Is there any way around this so I don't have to delete the two games I have installed?

It is only for disc 2 (multiplayer), disc 1 (campaign) can be played from DVD. You can use an USB for install the disc 2.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Isn't that a bit extreme?

Extreme? The service is a delivery service and it failed on a day of a highly anticipated game. Extreme is not what it is. Sending a message of dissatisfaction is. People need to realize "voting with your wallet" actually means something.

Extreme? The service is a delivery service and it failed on a day of a highly anticipated game. Extreme is not what it is. Sending a message of dissatisfaction is. People need to realize "voting with your wallet" actually means something.

After all the years of great service Amazon has provided me, it would take more than one borked order to drop them. That's just me, though.

Stat!

It is only for disc 2 (multiplayer), disc 1 (campaign) can be played from DVD. You can use an USB for install the disc 2.

Thank you.

I started deleting all the DLC I had downloaded and the big game I had installed. I am trying to keep the other one. Don't have another USB.

Will I have to ever load up disc 2 again? Or will I be good?

Raven77

Edit - fixed a few map name errors, etc.

Played a bunch of multiplayer last night. Here are my impressions of the MAPS only so far, haven't touched single player. Most of what you find below is just my opinions and I'm sure some will disagree which is fine.

Also I am just a casual Halo multiplayer...player so I'm not going to talk "UBER MLG PLAYERZ" strategies here:

ABANDON:
225px-Abandon2.jpg

- Small but lots of pathways and some elevation.
- Really reminds me of a Halo 2 map in its style.
- Not bad but sort of forgettable, nothing mind blowing here.
- No vehicles.
- Overall rating: 7/10
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADRIFT:
225px-Adrift.png

- Seems small at first but has some great height and long sight distances.
- Very impressive graphically, cool effects and sky box / background.
- Quite a fun map, some corridors, some open areas, ramps, some forerunner guns available.
- Sort of a "night map" if you will, somewhat darker than most the others.
- No vehicles.
- Overall rating: 8.5/10
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COMPLEX:
225px-COMPLEX.jpg

- Great size, long sight distances, some open areas.
- Clean and bright graphically, nothing fancy but nothing that will obstruct your ability to see other players from far away.
- Some smaller indoor areas, map sort of reminds me of a hugely expanded version of the Reach map Powerhouse.
- Some vehicles, no tanks.
- Overall rating: 9/10

EXILE:
225px-Exile_1.jpg

- Good size, long sight distances, some open areas, but too cluttered.
- Clean and bright graphically like Complex.
- Larger open areas that are obstructed by too many objects and clutter, could have been a nice wide open map like Ragnarok, instead it feels like a missed opportunity.
- That being said, the map is still very fun in its own right.
- Some vehicles.
- Overall rating: 8/10

HAVEN:
225px-Haven.png

- Decent size but mostly walkways and long hallways.
- Pretty amazing to look at, really "heavenly" feel to it. Bright whites, blues and silvers abound here and its all metallic.
- Unfortunately, outside of the visual grandeur here, the map is forgettable, nothing really sticks out in your mind outside of the background elements and visual flair. Not every map has to be big to leave an impression, this just has nothing that sticks in my memory.
- No vehicles
- Overall rating: 6.5/10

LONGBOW:
225px-Longbow.png

- Good size, nice somewhat open areas, sort of reminds me of Exile in that in my opinion it would have been served to be a bit expanded and open.
- If you love snow maps, this is for you. Awesome glacier and ice effects, snow flies through the air, makes you shiver lol.
- Lots of long sight lines, some out of the way paths to take, a great map overall
- Lots of vehicles

MELTDOWN:
225px-Screen_Shot_2012-10-16_at_10.45.07_AM.png

- A strange map, seems big and open at first, but its really some muti-leveled rocky pathways running circular around the edges of a confusing underground'ish tunnel area in the center. Also some indoor areas around the perimeter
- Nice and atmospheric with some awesome backgrounds. Very rocky, very cool looking.
- Some decently long sight lines, cool weapons (the Forerunner grenade launcher thingie makes an appearance here)
- some vehicles
- Overall rating: 8/10

RAGNAROK:
225px-Map_ragnarok_halo_4.jpeg

- Its Valhalla, if you've played that, you've played this.
- More atmospheric than the original. Ground is less grass and more dirt.
- SPARTAN MECH!!! nuff said
- Lots of vehicles

SOLACE:
225px-Halo-4-Solace-map.jpeg

- This map is like a many layered mystery, at first you think "hmm, this is like a bigger version of Guardian (Halo 3)
20070922170044%21Guardian_Infobox.jpg

But then you start exploring the visually awesome run-down ruins, the many leveled branching pathways and realize this is something special.
- Sort of a dark map, lots of sight lines, upper pathways lead to fun vertical game play.
- No vehicles

VORTEX:
Halo4_Vortex_103012_225.jpg

- For Halo 4 standards, this map is enormous! Super long sight lines, wiiiide open.
- Graphically incredible, a huge-white-lazer-thing looms above the battlefield, the ground and sky are awash in a weird purple color...amazing.
- Some indoor areas, lots and lots of wide open ground to cover.
- This is the crowning jewel of the map selection.
- Lots of vehicles
- Overall rating: 9.5/10

Below are the 3 Forge Environment maps. Overall they are just...not good, so lower your expectations. I am NOT BASING THE BELOW on their "potential" for Forge, just basing them on the map as a part of regular multi-player rotation.

RAVINE:
gallery_1_204_541732.png

- The name is very fitting, this map should have been dumped into a ravine full of human and animal waste. Now I get it, its a forge world map, but I want to rip this map apart anyway so humor me :)
- To play this map is to play a version of Blood Gulch that the games developers let their kids come into the office and create. Their kids were Call of Duty fans, blindfolded while creating it, and given only 20 minutes to finish.
- A small, jumbled mess of random rocks, structures, cliffs that you'll frequently fall of when first starting to play (because the game has what looks like paths that lead you right off the edge), and COMPLETELY POINTLESS VEHICLES. Do I really need a warthog to drive 17 feet to the center of the map?
- A turd, skip whenever possible.
- Overall rating: 3/10

EROSION:
Halo-4-Erosion-Forge-Map.jpg

- Boring in every possible way, the ground is the color of Mexican dinner fueled rocket propelled diarrhea, pointless "door ways" at the top.
- Sort of takes place on a "hill side" with small outcroppings.
- Some indoor areas (one 50 foot long pointlessly straight hallway and one 15 foot "room")
- Boring but not as bad as Ravine...shiver
- Decent selection of vehicles, tank, turrets
- Overall rating: 7/10

IMPACT:
images

- Large open circular area. Not much in the way of strict indoor areas.
- Graphically has an amazing sky box as a big orange yellow energy band streaks the sky and is rimmed by a string of asteroids. Has a very Mass Effect feel to it.
- Long sight distances, and somewhat wide open. Easily the best out-of-the-box forge multiplayer map.
- No vehicles
- Overall rating: 7.5/10

Thanks for reading! Feel free to disagree or offer your own opinions.

Andrew.

Banned
After all the years of great service Amazon has provided me, it would take more than one borked order to drop them. That's just me, though.

For real. It's just a game. If dude wants it that bad he can venture out into the outside world and pick up a copy. Not worth ditching your Prime membership for. At all.

MrDaravon

Are they still having issues? All of my custom loadouts disappear and re-appear within the same match, it's super annoying. I haven't had my level reset like some people were mentioning early this morning though.

zethren

Banned
Just beat the Campaign.

It was outstanding.

Time to jump into multiplayer, to make the wait for Halo 5 less grueling. haha

Thank you.

I started deleting all the DLC I had downloaded and the big game I had installed. I am trying to keep the other one. Don't have another USB.

Will I have to ever load up disc 2 again? Or will I be good?

If you install disc 2 you will not need it anymore.

Top Bottom