• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Eh, whats going on? I've lost my loadouts in matches. And in the matchmaking lobby, it has me at level 1 even though it shows my real stats and level when I go into customising loadouts by pressing START

Petrichor

Ending spoilers:

The thing about the ending and how the chief was saved, I think it's not that difficult to explain. Cortana spent the last 2-3 missions teleporting you everywhere. Maybe she teleported Chief just when he pushed the button, considering she was inside the system of the ship that doesn't sound crazy to me.

The chief was on a light bridge that she had created so for me it isn't that far-fetched. I actually liked the ending, especially the subtlely-heartbreaking scene between laskey and the chief. I just wish they'd gone further with cortana's rampancy throughout the game - it always felt like something unimportant in the background. If they were determined to kill of cortana, make it the main story of the game, not an afterthought.

GhaleonEB

I'd like to thank whoever came up with the Saw. It's a surprisingly robust anti-vehicle weapon; I couldn't find a PP but boy did I toast some Ghosts with it.

I wanna find a hallway filled with Grunts and ask them to dance to its tune.

see5harp

Damn, I hope 343 fixes the server issues before ~8pm tonight when I get on. :lol

I probably won't even try the campaign until this weekend.

Indeed.

I used to think User Reviews were the honest, unbiased ones to read when I first started my e-career. Then I started posting on gaming forums. Doesn't help when SonyGAF loses its shit over an 8/10 for UC3.

People place way to much importance on reviews to begin with. I almost wish that you couldn't even use a review unless a purchase is verified.

Petrichor

I'd like to thank whoever came up with the Saw. It's a surprisingly robust anti-vehicle weapon; I couldn't find a PP but boy did I toast some Ghosts with it.

I wanna find a hallway filled with Grunts and ask them to dance to its tune.

the saw, railgun and incineration cannon are the only additions to the weapons sandbox that I really like, the rest of the promethean weapons aren't particularly compelling or fun to use, sadly.

If you haven't already, watch the terminals. They contain vital story content I desperately wish the game had included and forced people to watch.

Re: your first point -
The idea is that Cortana, since she was plugged into the Didact's ship, had control of the hard light resources, which is why she was finally able to materialize herself and "touch" Chief, as well as hold Didact down and protect the Chief from the blast. Why that continued after the ship was blown up....well, video games I guess.

I like that explanation. At least for that part. Still doesn't excuse
Chief escaping from a nuclear blast in the palms of his hands
, though.

And I'll watch the terminals later today. Only found one during my playthrough, though.

Yager

Banned
The chief was on a light bridge that she had created so for me it isn't that far-fetched. I actually liked the ending, especially the subtlely-heartbreaking scene between laskey and the chief. I just wish they'd gone further with cortana's rampancy throughout the game - it always felt like something unimportant in the background. If they were determined to kill of cortana, make it the main story of the game, not an afterthought.

Well, I think all thing about Cortana's rampancy was a way of showing the "human" side of both her and the Chief, so when they kill her it's more heartbreaking. I really liked Cortana's character through all the series, but in Halo 4 I really felt that I had to protect her, so for me that ending was pretty sad. I mean, you're fighting the whole game for two reasons: saving humanity and also saving Cortana. At the end, you only accomplish one of the two objectives, and that's probably the first time Chief fails at something. If they'd have gone deeper with the rampancy thing, I believe that it probably would've caused that lost of "humanity" in Cortana.

On the other hand: the Forerunner story was well-presented. I'm interested in the rift between the Didact and the Librarian, it'll be very interesting to find out what happened when we get Silentium in our hands. Also, I'm suspsecting players who haven't read the books are going to be fucking lost. The Didact needed more exposition: 343 tried to make him the Chief's nemesis, but they kinda failed. We just didn't know what drove the guy, except for a hatred for humanity.
Speaking as a person who hasn't delved into the out of game fiction, yeah, this whole Didact and Librarian stuff seemed completely out of left field to me. I didn't really know anything about Didact other than he apparently hates humans and the Librarian scene seemed completely random.

Also, in all honesty, the forerunner grenades should have been cut.
They feel absolutely worthless in SP. I felt like every time I chucked them was to no effect.

Damn...pretty scared to play the game on Heroic. That's how I usually go through previous Halos, but if it's as unforgiving as some are saying, I might start on Normal...

I like a challenge, but I want to enjoy it too.

Speaking as a person who hasn't delved into the out of game fiction, yeah, this whole Didact and Librarian stuff seemed completely out of left field to me. I didn't really know anything about Didact other than he apparently hates humans and the Librarian scene seemed completely random.

They feel absolutely worthless in SP. I felt like every time I chucked them was to no effect.

I thought so. A shame, really.

And yeah, those grenades are useless. And, once again, the only ones you could find during the majority of the game.

"Fuck, lots of enemies, I'm gonna throw a... Oh, I only have those. Fuck."

Damn...pretty scared to play the game on Heroic. That's how I usually go through previous Halos, but if it's as unforgiving as some are saying, I might start on Normal...

Having beaten Heroic, I would recommend Normal. I think it'll be more fun, and apparently it's a pretty good challenge, too.

LosDaddie

Banned
People place way to much importance on reviews to begin with. I almost wish that you couldn't even use a review unless a purchase is verified.

Agreed. But review/review scores get a ton of clicks for a website.

I'll do campaign on Heroic, or Legendary with ya. But not tonight. :lol Maybe starting Friday night, when I'll have a good few hours to devote to the game

Havok

Heroic is not hard. I have no idea how people are coming away from the game feeling like Normal is the new Heroic. Play it the right way, you know you want to.

Heroic isn't going to be a problem if you're used to Heroic in previous games, I just feel that the combat loop of the Knights is kind of difficult to nail down. They have shields, but they're difficult to spot. They seem to regenerate quickly and you don't have a one shot solution on them even after they're depleted. They just seem to soak in damage; if you're using a precision weapon you're losing lots of ammo trying to take one down, especially if it summons a Watcher. I'll second the people saying that it feels like ammo runs out quickly, but I feel the Knights are to blame for that.

But (end of game spoilers I guess)
the last encounter on Legendary was a fucking bitch and a half. Fighting a squad of Knights, with one motherfucker hiding with a scattershot, one shotting me and setting me back to square one... RAGE!

Ryaaan14

Banned
Only on the 6th mission, but last night Normal mode was kicking my ass in a couple of spots.

Kinda dreading my Legendary run based on some of these encounters, holy god.

BearPawB

Banned
Im playing through solo legendary. As I always do.
Its definitely tough, been stuck at a few choke points, had to just make a run for a door. Im only on the third chapter I thi nk and I'm loving it. Breathtaking game.

Havok

Heroic isn't going to be a problem, I just feel that the combat loop of the Knights is kind of difficult to nail down. They have shields, but they're difficult to spot. They seem to regenerate quickly as you don't have a one shot solution on them even after they're depleted. They just seem to soak in damage; if you're using a precision weapon you're losing lots of ammo trying to take one down, especially if it summons a Watcher. I'll second the people saying that it feels like ammo runs out quickly, but I feel the Knights are to blame for that.
Fighting Knights rewards aggression more than a Halo enemy ever has, and that's kinda neat. You have to follow up on everything with their shields that recharge as fast as that. If you always push up to finish your kills, and always start with the Watcher, things get really easy.

Fuchsdh

Fighting Knights rewards aggression more than a Halo enemy ever has, and that's kinda neat. You have to follow up on everything with their shields that recharge as fast as that. If you always push up to finish your kills, and always start with the Watcher, things get really easy.
Do they always spawn a watcher, or is that an occasional tactic like a grenade throw or blink?

Pop

"We noticed you're playing offline" To earn more...blah blah

Right after playing a game of Infinity Slayer. Spartan Rank 1 all day, armor isn't showing and no tag. haha @Day 1 Problems

JackEtc

Played the first 2 levels of campaign, now playing multiplayer. Really like it so far. I'm on the "game looks and sounds amazing" side of the argument, as well.

Wish the matchmaking servers were up, wanna show off my sweet Big Daddy helmet :p

I'm a little surprised at the lack of game types for multiplayer. Is that just me? Like, is there really no Lone Wolves/Slayer option other than Regicide? Only 6 game types seems like barely any. Or is that because the servers are down, and it's "switched to using the default playlist"?

KaYotiX

Banned
Lol you guys...

"Graphics are the best I've seen on consoles."

"Jaggiez, low res textures, etc"

"OMG the weapon sounds are amazing, the music is great"

"Weapons don't sound that good, bring Marty back"

Fuck, which one is it!?

Some ppl just loved bungie so much they will pick apart everything 343 did or didn't do.

XenoRaven

Apologies for the ignorance, but I only got to play like an hour of BTB Slayer last night. Are there playlists with normal weapon spawns like previous games or is it all this ordnance drop stuff? Just curious.

Havok

Do they always spawn a watcher, or is that an occasional tactic like a grenade throw or blink?
They definitely don't do it 100% of the time, but fairly often. There are normally watchers in the area, even if they don't do the spawn animation.

Woorloog

Banned
I want to trade Specialization unlocks (pre-order, i have LE), preferrably for CIO web skin. Have Forest skin+arctic BR so don't offer those.

Anyone?

S1kkZ

I like that explanation. At least for that part. Still doesn't excuse
Chief escaping from a nuclear blast in the palms of his hands
, though.
major spoilers following:
i really dont think cortana is dead. i guess she connected with the "domain", where all forerunners "upload" their memorys/soul/whatever. i think she teleported chief into safety shortly before the bomb exploded. and since the didact was able to dematerialise humans, save their data und re-materialise them as prometheans, i think cortana will be able to do the same (or maybe the didact will return that way)

danwarb

But all halos have some low res textures, we are talking about a 7 years old console, even the top PS3 games have low res textures.
I remember being disappointed by the low res textures and absence of nifty detail maps in Halo 2. This campaign reminds me very much of Halo 2 so far. It has an angular feel that Halo 2 had after CE. Overall not as easy on the eye as Reach.

It's good, but complaints so far would be:

- Covenant animations seem less varied. They fall the same way every time.
- Promethians are not a lot fun to fight.
- Chief talks too much. "What?"

--- New Warthog noise is so bad I had to get out and walk. Can this be patched to something less high pitched/loud?

madmackem

Online is not working atm, how do you fuck this up ms your biggest holiday release and you cant get your servers sorted for a p2p game.

Got my copy from Amazon today. I keep getting a dirty disc message and I can not install or play the game. The disc looks perfect.

Other games work just fine. Anyone else having issues with bad discs?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Damn, played multi up to SR14 last night and played campaigns first mission or two just now. Loving every single thing about it so far. All my skeptisim has been washed away. Is it perfect? No. Is it an absolutely amazing Halo game? Yes.

Can't get enough.

On that note, any official word from 343 on a timeline for the servers working again?

someone convince me to buy this game.
Oh, uhh, yes. There's still sprint (it's not an AA anymore, but a baseline ability everyone has), jetpack, loadouts, and bloom. Bloom's on pistol and DMR, but the DMR bloom isn't very significant. You can actually customize your loadouts this time a la CoD and most modes allow you to use those.

There's no classic playlist, but there is Slayer Pro, you still have sprint but it does away with the whole personal ordnance system of the Infinity gametypes and has set loadouts to choose from.

iavi

The MP in this game is absolutely addicting. it seems faster than any of the previous Halo's, but retains the 'the one with skill survives the firefight'. The pistol is almost CE tier, when nailing headshots-as bit should be, and the saw. My lord, THE SAW

Max@GC

playing the campaign of the german version atm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8hHFEPqat4

...and gawd i love that game...the weapons, the massive but stylish gfx, the powerful sfx, the super smooth gameplay and the new soundtrack from davidge...just everything...and the german voice of the chief sounds even more badass :333

Copied from last page:

Got my copy from Amazon today. I keep getting a dirty disc message and I can not install or play the game. The disc looks perfect. Disc 2 booted up and installed fine.

Other games work just fine. Anyone else having issues with bad discs? Any tips on fixing it?

Both copies of my Halo 4 are "out for delivery" but I did receive my 2 codes for the "oceanic armor skin" from Walmarts deal they had for 35 cents. LOL

The MP in this game is absolutely addicting. it seems faster than any of the previous Halo's, but retains the 'the one with skill survives the firefight'. The pistol is almost CE tier, when nailing headshots-as bit should be, and the saw. My lord, THE SAW
The pistol is worse than Reach tier. D: It's super bloomy and takes even more shots. It's a 6sk on an 8 shot clip.

jet1911

Dominion <3 <3 even if I'm terrible lol

The music is really underused in the campaign, what's the point of creating a cool and powerful OST and not using it? At least it's in Spartan Ops.

Top Bottom