• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Loving this game. The only things I dont like come down to some minor sound changes from the other games. Overall I think all the weapons sounds infinitely better than before. Graphically it's one of the best console games this gen. If not the best. Rock solid 30 FPS, incredibly tight controls, the multiplayer is awesome and addictive, the music is different but excellent. I don't like how hyperbolic IGN's video review was, but now I see why it was that way. Can't even being to imagine what they'll do on next gen hardware. Complaints are minimal - warthog sounds and weight, and sometimes the dialogue from Cortana/Chief are just unemotional and weak. I also don't like how old/aged Chief's voice actor sounds. I much prefer the voice of Chief from the FUD web show.

Anyone else see a giant veiny boob when looking at the main menu? I'm a child.

Ramirez

Played around 10 matches or so. Really digging it so far. One thing is the controls. Unless I skipped over it, I couldn't find anything similar to H3 or Reach. Is there no way to reload with right bumper and melee with B?? If not, it's going to take some major getting used to.

recon

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Anyone have a Best Buy armor code they'd like to trade for the Gamestop Forest Armor code?

Just finished the campaign. Took me 4 hours, 56 minutes, solo Heroic.

Audio/Visual work is absolutely stellar, whether its lighting, animation, skyboxes, enemy/level design, weapon/movement sounds - the works.

Combat and movement also feels as tight and responsive as ever, and even more physical this time around, which is an incredible improvement.

But as for the rest of the campaign - its a mess.

Tunavi

Banned
more maps please.
10641188-1348764342-247997.png

guys i've been looking forward to the game for a year, and i just turned it off after like a few hours (multiplayer only)...it's pretty much call of duty now.

I feel so bad for my son right now. Got home from school and did his homework so he could play some Halo 4 and his Halo 3 Xbox360 goes to shit on him. Red Ringed! I reset all connections and unplugged the power brick but now when you turn it on the dashboard/game goes all pixelated looking.

The Warthog is terrible. It feels and sounds like a paper jeep now.
I respectfully disagree. I think it is awesome sounding/looking and handling.

The Warthog is terrible. It feels and sounds like a paper jeep now.
It doesn't flip over when hitting a pebble at 15mph - thats a major plus in my book. Has more weight and solidity to it.

Is there a spoiler thread? I kinda want to commiserate without impinging upon people just playing it new.

F8AL

Played this game for about 5 hours today, beat the first 2 SP missions, beat all 5 of this weeks spartan ops mission and played several MP matches.

I don't like the controls in this game...I use default but my only gripe with those controls is that melee is RB. I would use the 'Recon' controls but sprint is 'X' for that...

All I want is for melee to be B, reload for RB and sprint for left stick...

The new enemies are okay I guess. MP is fun.

EDIT: I also wish they'd give you more ammo. :v

It doesn't flip over when hitting a pebble at 15mph - thats a major plus in my book. Has more weight and solidity to it.

Is there a spoiler thread? I kinda want to commiserate without impinging upon people just playing it new.

What? The warthog has absolutely zero weight now. Powerslides are completely neutered now. The one part of the game I hate.

Just finished the campaign solo on heroic. My hat is off to 343. They did an amazing job. Halo 4 is a step forward for the series in every way. The visuals and art were outstanding throughout. I know we hear this word too often in the gaming industry, but the game's sound was visceral. Like, the definition of it. The guns actually feel like they have power to them. The soundtrack was also great. Losing Marty, I know many were worried, but the team at 343 carried the torch well in that area as well.

As for gameplay, they did a great job balancing between the Covenant and the Prometheans. It kept things fresh, and the Prometheans most definitely did lend some new flavor to the combat. Oh, and Hunters? Once again a force to be reckoned with. I died repeatedly every time I encountered them. The new weapons are also all great. They finally nailed some of the things they were going for in the previous Halo games. The Forerunner rocket launcher (I forget the name) is what the Brute Shot was also supposed to be.

As for the story, 343 really delivered there too. They dove into the Master Chief a little more, without changing his core. He still acts the same exact way he always has. Still pretty silent. But we definitely "see" more of "him". I'm not going to dive into too many story details here, as I did in the Story & Speculation thread, but I think 343 told a great story and leaves tons of room to continue it on through 5 and 6. They're in a really good position to introduce us more and more new stuff as the Reclaimer trilogy continues, at a slow and steady pace.

And I can't wait.

Ramirez

How far am I into the game?

Just got to the composer artifact lab after teleporting with the ship

You're almost done, I think there's just one last mission after that, it's decent in length though, you prolly got a couple hours left, little less.

What's the legendary ending for Halo 4? I beat the game on Normal and I'd love to watch it on YouTube, but all I've seen is a video that differs
in its very last frame. Is that really all you get to see if you play on Legendary?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
To clarify, I'm looking to trade my GameStop code for a Best Buy code.

Halo defense force don't fucking take this as an insult. I'm just wondering when single player picks up? I just did the first 2 lvls and they both sucked. I love all the halo games and I'm sure this game picks up great I'm just wondering when

Trickster

What's the legendary ending for Halo 4? I beat the game on Normal and I'd love to watch it on YouTube, but all I've seen is a video that differs
in its very last frame. Is that really all you get to see if you play on Legendary?

As far as I know, yes. Kinda lame.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I don't like the controls in this game...I use default but my only gripe with those controls is that melee is RB. I would use the 'Recon' controls but sprint is 'X' for that...

All I want is for melee to be B, reload for RB and sprint for left stick...
I don't have the game yet, but looking at the controls, my ideal layout would be a combo of Default and Recon. I'll probably go with Recon — having sprint on X doesn't seem that bad. I'm guessing you can just hold it down and use the mid part of your thumb to jump.

cullenx

Banned
I like everything but Cortana is a naggy cunt in this game. I'm guessing the artificial intelligence destruction symptoms include acting like a 15 year old girl.

sgrrsh26

Neo Member
I posted this in the other thread but I'll add it here, hopefully not breaking any rules by doing so.

I don't know what to say. It's not the Halo I loved. B toggle crouch, (I'm partial to Reach's control scheme), Grenade mechanics are shot, warthog is ridiculously slow, perks like seeing through walls (which renders crouching useless) takes all skill away from the game. It a GORGEOUS game but it is clearly catering to the COD crowd, and still pulled the cash from the Halo fans, very sad to me. Hope it will grow on me.

As for the story, 343 really delivered there too. They dove into the Master Chief a little more, without changing his core. He still acts the same exact way he always has. Still pretty silent. But we definitely "see" more of "him". I'm not going to dive into too many story details here, as I did in the Story & Speculation thread, but I think 343 told a great story and leaves tons of room to continue it on through 5 and 6. They're in a really good position to introduce us more and more new stuff as the Reclaimer trilogy continues, at a slow and steady pace.
Well maybe I'm an odd man out but I think its the worst story of any Halo game. The audience isn't even given a bone - nothing is explained or explored, and nothing much is accomplished for 95% of the game.

Luckily the combat feels so good, so I'm still interested for co-op and Spec Ops. But the story itself felt so flat - not much more than DarkSiders 2's get-three-of-X objectives, repeated until the end.

Not what I expected at all. And, less than 5 hours to complete? Thats madness. Luckily Spartan Ops helps balance things out I guess.

Elginer

Some quick Halo 4 impressions: Honestly, sound and art design is where Halo 4 really shines. It's also taken some steps back to the more fluid and fun gameplay of Halo 2 with the armor abilities of Halo Reach and some new additions to combat in multiplayer like ordnance drops that are really fun.

I know that many are thinking that Halo 4 is some graphical beast and in some ways it is, and in others way it's a disappointment from Halo Reach.

Motion capture, and animation are all much better, and the real stand out is the lighting. Halo 4's lighting is beautiful! But it comes at a cost. Texture quality is to be quite frank abysmal. Reach was a texture monster that invested a lot into that tech, while still keeping SOME of the elements of Halo 3's water which was just delicious. The engine has been re-written to lower texture quality in favor the new lighting engine and I'm not quite sure I'm happy with the trade off. Halo 4 cuts a lot of corners to impress you from afar. From afar it looks magnificent but start to look closer and the facade begins to break. The reality of it all is these systems are ancient by todays standards. If anything, it's quite amazing what this game is pulling out, with this new lighting and animation. I really am looking forward to next-gen systems that can have the amazingly detailed textures AND that luscious fucking lighting.

Campaign so far is fun but still to early to give hard impression. Infinity Slayer is fun as hell but that Kill Cam is janky as fuck.

Oh and the warthog sounds like a damn RC car, whoever the hell thought was a good idea needs to be slapped hard.

What Call of Duty are you playing exactly?

While the game doesn't play like COD, it certainly does feel more like a COD than any other Halo game. Between the instant respawns, sprint and the spawn system, the pace of the matches is really fast. On top of that there's the UI elements like the grenade indicator, kill cam and numbers popping up screen make it look like COD. Then there's random weapon spawns and ordnance drops which removes the emphasis on both weapon and map control (to an extent) making the whole maps much more of a hotzone. All of this doesn't include the overall player progression and perk system.

I think the multi player still plays great but it's certainly a lot more of a modern shooter than any of the previous games.

Well maybe I'm an odd man out but I think its the worst story of any Halo game. The audience isn't even given a bone - nothing is explained or explored, and nothing much is accomplished for 95% of the game.

The return of the Forerunners? An official look at them and their dilemmas outside of the books? The revelation of the Forerunner-Human war, which the average Halo fan who hadn't read the books, didn't know about. Spartan 4's? Just because there's not soap opera drama happening between the species of the Covenant doesn't mean the wheels aren't turning and a story isn't being told. Not to mention the entire Cortana plot.

That said, there is drama happening within the Covenant. I'm sure it will come into play as we move forward with the Reclaimer trilogy. There's also a ton more that we're going to see of and from the Forerunners. This is just the beginning.

Some quick Halo 4 impressions: Honestly, sound and art design is where Halo 4 really shines. It's also taken some steps back to the more fluid and fun gameplay of Halo 2 with the armor abilities of Halo Reach and some new additions to combat in multiplayer like ordnance drops that are really fun.

I know that many are thinking that Halo 4 is some graphical beast and in some ways it is, and in others way it's a disappointment from Halo Reach.

Motion capture, and animation are all much better, and the real stand out is the lighting. Halo 4's lighting is beautiful! But it comes at a cost. Texture quality is to be quite frank abysmal. Reach was a texture monster that invested a lot into that tech, while still keeping SOME of the elements of Halo 3's water which was just delicious. The engine has been re-written to lower texture quality in favor the new lighting engine and I'm not quite sure I'm happy with the trade off. Halo 4 cuts a lot of corners to impress you from afar. From afar it looks magnificent but start to look closer and the facade begins to break. The reality of it all is these systems are ancient by todays standards. If anything, it's quite amazing what this game is pulling out, with this new lighting and animation. I really am looking forward to next-gen systems that can have the amazingly detailed textures AND that luscious fucking lighting.

Campaign so far is fun but still to early to give hard impression. Infinity Slayer is fun as hell but that Kill Cam is janky as fuck.

Oh and the warthog sounds like a damn RC car, whoever the hell thought was a good idea needs to be slapped hard.

Could not give a rats ass about Reach's superior textures when the framerate is so bloody up and down. In Halo 4 I've had no framerate issues yet in 3 hours of gameplay. If that comes at the cost of textures, I'll take it.

The warthog sound is distinctly different between stereo 2.1 and 5.1 I played up to that point, looked up at my recover and it was set like that. Then shut down my Xbox, continued and everything in the game became fuller.

Don't know why my 360 sometimes boots in a fixed 2.1 it irritates me.

Top Bottom