• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

TUROK

nope. of course there's the usual sacrifices that are made for splitscreen as usual but in terms of slowdown almost zero in both sp and mp. can't say the same for 4. as I said earlier it seems bungie actually took care of splitscreen players a lot better than 343 did this time round.

oh and the all caps text in mp might be fine for playing by yourself but in splitscreen it gives you a headache. they just scaled everything down in the exact same ratio which makes the "player y killed player x" text ridiculously tiny. not to mention the all caps. ugh. bungie always made sure that everything was just as easy to see in splitscreen, 343 just seemed to shrink everything proportionally and that's that. real disappointed in that regard
I'm playing through the Campaign in splitscreen, and it seems pretty damn smooth, but holy crap at the pop-up. I especially hate that the enemies disappear after a certain distance.

That sucks. Bungie always made sure that the splitscreen worked as well as it could have.

Reach feel smoother with motion blur. Not much in 4 stands up to zoom.
Yeah, zooming into things in 4 really highlights all the shortcuts they took.

Man

I managed to reach the end of level
last night. Major new plot developments for the franchise tightly condensed in a few minutes. Plot haven't been this interesting since Halo 2.

Ein Bear

Best Halo campaign ever?

I think so.

Didn't have enough in the way of large, open environments for my tastes. You drive a Warthog... twice in the entire campaign? And then it's only for a couple of minutes.

The campaign was very good, but didn't quite live up to the previous Halos IMO.

Multiplayer, on the other hand, is the pinnacle of the series.

Petrichor

Didn't have enough in the way of large, open environments for my tastes. You drive a Warthog... twice in the entire campaign? And then it's only for a couple of minutes.

The campaign was very good, but didn't quite live up to the previous Halos IMO.

Multiplayer, on the other hand, is the pinnacle of the series.

And even then in what can only be described as an outdoor corridor.

Ein Bear

Did Bungie take the original sound with them and not want to give it back? Not sure why they'd change. And if they felt like it needed to be changed, why change it to this? It just sounds bad.

I feel this way about all the sound effects in the game, really. With the exception of the AR, there's not a single sound that doesn't sound worse than it did in the Bungie Halos, I'm not sure why they changed everything.

The Grunt/Elite voices were perfect as they were damnit!

Jharp

Just started and
crash landed on the Forerunner planet
. Holy shit I lost it when Cortana drops the top-notch line "Don't make a girl a promise you can't keep..."

Oh man, looks to be another winning Halo narrative.

Petrichor

I feel this way about all the sound effects in the game, really. With the exception of the AR, there's not a single sound that doesn't sound worse than it did in the Bungie Halos, I'm not sure why they changed everything.

The carbine and beam rifle sound much better now imo.

BearPawB

Banned
you guys are nuts.
The sounds are FANTASTIC.

Every gun sounds amazing...hard hitting!

I do agree about the warthog though, it needs more gears.

*edit

Just beat chapter 3 on Legendary solo. There were some crazy moments that I still don't know how I survived. Those knights can take a beating.

Ah man, my two BTB games earlier didn't get counted on Waypoint from that time when the servers went down. I've barely had a chance to play but I did really well on those!

I'm playing through the Campaign in splitscreen, and it seems pretty damn smooth, but holy crap at the pop-up. I especially hate that the enemies disappear after a certain distance.

That sucks. Bungie always made sure that the splitscreen worked as well as it could have.

Yeah, zooming into things in 4 really highlights all the shortcuts they took.

The Master Chiefs detail is alot better with the more poly put into him as well as the high frequency mapping with all the scuffs and scratches.

Just on the second level you see the terrain detail is way more detailed then it ever was in the past HALO games. Just look at the ground that is all there is to say.

This game looks so crisp and clean in some parts it looks like a im viewing a bullshot screenshot while standing still. So good.

Man

The sounds are fantastic.
The music is fantastic.

The mix is HORRIBLE.

Seriously, if I hadn't listened to the superb soundtrack a week in advance I wouldn't have gotten much out of that aspect (it's set way too low). If the game had separate volume sliders for music and fx it would be alright but that's missing.
The Warthog engine noise is ear deafening.

MrBig

Just stopping in to say that I stared at that first vista after exiting the cave on Requiem for at least 10 minutes. And that I love the Light Rifle already. Campaign has been fantastic so far, but Heroic is definitely still the standard to go by.

J-Roderton

Played around 10 matches or so. Really digging it so far. One thing is the controls. Unless I skipped over it, I couldn't find anything similar to H3 or Reach. Is there no way to reload with right bumper and melee with B?? If not, it's going to take some major getting used to.

What are some tips for playing solo in Legendary? It will be the first Halo campaign I attempt at Legendary.

Also, I need some GAF'ers on my XBL list. Add me: Blazing xKnight

Bullza2o

Are you serious? That's it I'm gonna refuse my copy and give it to the mailman if I see him.

I kid :p

Ein Bear

What are some tips for playing solo in Legendary? It will be the first Halo campaign I attempt at Legendary.

Carry a Plasma Pistol and a weapon capable of scoring headshots (like a Battle Rifle or Magnum) with you as often as possible. Overcharge the Plasma Pistol to instantly remove an enemy's shields, then follow up with a headshot to take them down. Needlers also absolutely rinse people.

That's your Legendary bread and butter right there :p

MrDaravon

The sounds are fantastic.
The music is fantastic.

The mix is HORRIBLE.

Seriously, if I hadn't listened to the superb soundtrack a week in advance I wouldn't have gotten much out of that aspect (it's set way too low). If the game had separate volume sliders for music and fx it would be alright but that's missing.
The Warthog engine noise is ear deafening.

Yeah, the Warthog sounds like crap now, but it's made way worse by the mix, it's a million times louder than everything else. I've been saying that the weapon sounds have been way too loud for weeks now but I seemed to be alone on that one, but it's super obvious with the Warthog.

Yeah, the Warthog sounds like crap now, but it's made way worse by the mix, it's a million times louder than everything else. I've been saying that the weapon sounds have been way too loud for weeks now but I seemed to be alone on that one, but it's super obvious with the Warthog.

I love the new and improved warthog look and sound and the weapon sounds as well. I always thought the previous warthog sounded weak as well as the weapons in the other Halo games.

Ein Bear

Are you serious? That's it I'm gonna refuse my copy and give it to the mailman if I see him.

I kid :p

Yeah, the campaign's great, but the vehicle sections really do feel like more of an afterthought than anything. There's no level comparable to Assault on the Control Room or The Covenant, for example. It's a real shame.

IHaveIce

Banned
So can I talk about the ending if I keep it in spoiler tags?

There are some things I want do talk about or discuss it.

And anyone who has seen the terminals and read cryptum is also wondering how this fits together?

BearPawB

Banned
Carry a Plasma Pistol and a weapon capable of scoring headshots (like a Battle Rifle or Magnum) with you as often as possible. Overcharge the Plasma Pistol to instantly remove an enemy's shields, then follow up with a headshot to take them down.

That's your Legendary bread and butter right there :p

Yeah, having a carbine/br/DMR is mandatory. Nothing else feels effective in the slightest. I have been making it through without using the plasma pistol too much.

My advice (im only on the 4th chapter now solo legendary): Take it slow. Don't waste ammo for your good weapons. Sometimes try something wacky. I was completely stuck, decided i would try to rush/melee an elite, it happend to work.

Most importantly, note when you get a checkpoint. I have died too much after clearing out an area, moving on, but I never had a checkpoint hit and I got reckless. Never be over confident. Anything can kill you.

BearPawB

Banned
Yeah, the campaign's great, but the vehicle sections really do feel like more of an afterthought than anything. There's no level comparable to Assault on the Control Room or The Covenant, for example. It's a real shame.

act 3 had a lot of fun vehicle stuff. banshees/ghosts all over. Huge free form areas.

LowParry

So can I talk about the ending if I keep it in spoiler tags?

There are some things I want do talk about or discuss it.

And anyone who has seen the terminals and read cryptum is also wondering how this fits together?

Could always create a Halo 4 | Spoiler Thread of Halo 4 Story Discussion :D

TUROK

They should have just carried over the sounds from Halo Anniversary. Still the best sounding Halo.

The Master Chiefs detail is alot better with the more poly put into him as well as the high frequency mapping with all the scuffs and scratches.

Just on the second level you see the terrain detail is way more detailed then it ever was in the past HALO games. Just look at the ground that is all there is to say.

This game looks so crisp and clean in some parts it looks like a im viewing a bullshot screenshot while standing still. So good.
Yeah, the Chief's model is great, but every Halo game on the 360 has had high frequency detail mapping on Spartans.

The terrain textures look nice without looking repetitive, but to call them more detailed than other Halo games is false. Halo 3 and Reach both had fantastic ground textures.

The IQ is good, but it doesn't look nowhere near bullshot quality.

Petrichor

act 3 had a lot of fun vehicle stuff. banshees/ghosts all over. Huge free form areas.

The vehicle segments are made exponentially less fun because of the new vehicle health system, thank god there aren't any massive vehicle levels, it'd be torture changing warthogs every 5 minutes on heroic.

danwarb

Try zooming in on anything. When the blast doors open on the first level, I zoomed in for a proper look. Illusion destroyed.

I'd gotten used to all the little details in Reach. 4 takes a different approach.

Top Bottom