• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Naked Lunch

This game is so solid. It just oozes quality in every area - cept for the menus :) Im a huge Halo fan but absolutely hated Reach. This is a major return to form. Multiplayer is so solid - just FEELS right again. Its got its own flavor though compared to the old titles.

Im not the greatest Halo player ever, but I can hold my own. I kid you not that the very 1st H4 online round I played I got a perfection 15-0. Pretty damn awesome. Im loving using the boost to do crazy evasions ala an Armored Core mech game. The boost is subtle but I love having more movement options in shooters. I dont know if im feeling the maps too much yet - they seem so busy. Im hoping for a Terminal remake.

Halo is back.

Add me to the list of people annoyed by the Warthog sound. It's too high pitched and grindy, almost like you're in the dentist's chair hearing the drill. It needs more low end.

At the very least, if your sound guy insists the effect is perfect, lower it by 20% in the mix.

Blueblur1

Wat. The new sounds make even the plasma pistol and assault rifle semi fun to use.
Every returning weapon and vehicle had its legacy sound effects swapped for more 'realistic' sound effects. It's now extremely difficulty to differentiate between what's been fired at you and distinct weapons like those of Covenant lost some of their flavor by sounding like human weapons. It sucks.

Sojgat

Every returning weapon and vehicle had its legacy sound effects swapped for more 'realistic' sound effects. It's now extremely difficulty to differentiate between what's been fired at you and distinct weapons like those of Covenant lost some of their flavor by sounding like human weapons. It sucks.

This.

jet1911

Maybe it's because i never played much of Halo games online (read put hundred of hours into each games) but I think the guns sounds great and really distinctive. I don't think it's hard to differientiate the sound of the shotgun and the scattershot or the suppressor and the storm rifle for exemple.

"You dont hold X enough in this game!!" - said no one ever

The music, gunplay and graphics so good; the non-spartan weapons (other than the needler) and the story so bad

Just finished the game and oh my gawd was it awesome. Finally good to see some solid characterization in a halo game.

The series is in excellent hands.

The cherry on top of this great day is that obama won :)

kdash7

OK this is fkd up..i got my LE game...there were 4 reefemable codes...one of them was for the. 6 specialization, 3 extra wargame map packs, emblem.and skin stuff. Aftr redeeming the code...it just menioned the emblem and skin....nothing about the specialization or the map packs at all!!

Wtf do i do??

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
For those of you in Vegas, there's this tonight:

kEOIy.jpg

http://www.insertcoinslv.com/special-events/halo4-tournament-insert-coins/

kdash7

So I installed disk 1. What do I do about disk 2?

Go to infinity or wargames section. It will ask you to insert disc 2 to install the data. Just eject disc1 and insert disc 2. It will eventually go to the dashboard. Just run the disl from there and follow instructions from there.

Thanks for the details on disk 2. Will do.

Edit: And yeah - either way works. Either "play" disk 2 and do the in-game install. Or go to War Games on disk 1 and get prompted to install disk 2.

I just unlocked the next wave of emblems, I see the ninja, the pirate, the wolf.

Wp0mc.jpg

I'm holding out hope that there's a unicorn emblem different from the one in the LE console to unlock, as it looks different than it did in the past, but this is some serious trolling against me if I have to get so far in the progression to get it.

Sojgat

OK this is fkd up..i got my LE game...there were 4 reefemable codes...one of them was for the. 6 specialization, 3 extra wargame map packs, emblem.and skin stuff. Aftr redeeming the code...it just menioned the emblem and skin....nothing about the specialization or the map packs at all!!

Wtf do i do??

Chill out. There seems to be a significant difference between how things are labeled on the various download cards and their corresponding descriptions on Xbox Live (even the dash theme has a different name). It's fine you have everything.

I decided to try out flood, got booted after killing a spartan modeled character with red text above his head as the flood.

Should have known better I suppose.

What do I gotta do to get the ninja avatar.

That's another thing 343 ripped from CoD, forcing you to grind for things Bungie gave to you for free.

WHAT IS THIS WEAPON?!

YOU KNOW WHICH ONE

ARG

My playgroup just had the worst three hours of Halo in our ten years of Halo and it's 100% attributable to this... gun thing, it can and will kill you in less than one second from full health at any distance. JESUS WHO APPROVED THIS SHIT

man... phew... I had to get that out.

Havok

So emblems are now locked behind player progression? And poses?

I guess I shoulda seen that coming.
Yeah, it's really messed up considering that some people have used the same emblem since November 9, 2004. I'm lucky in that Runes, my current favorite, is a relatively early unlock, but I have no idea when, or if (for example) Phoenix unlocks, which is what my roommate has used for 8 years straight. Basic customization options have no place behind an artificial wall.
What do I gotta do to get the ninja avatar.

That's another thing 343 ripped from CoD, forcing you to grind for things Bungie gave to you for free.
SR-28.

FStop7

Banned
Interesting that you can download War Games from XBL rather than install it via the second disc. Not sure why, but it's still interesting.

Is this why the Ghost fires bullets instead of plasma?

strata8

WHAT IS THIS WEAPON?!

YOU KNOW WHICH ONE

ARG

My playgroup just had the worst three hours of Halo in our ten years of Halo and it's 100% attributable to this... gun thing, it can and will kill you in less than one second from full health at any distance. JESUS WHO APPROVED THIS SHIT

Can't be any worse than the Plasma Launcher in Reach?

Ken

WHAT IS THIS WEAPON?!

YOU KNOW WHICH ONE

ARG

A sniper rifle?

No it doesn't. Sound of the best weapon sounds in any game I've ever played. Just beautiful sounds. Beautiful visuals. And the multiplayer is awesome. Can't stop playing.

Played with my 7.1 surround sound and this is one of the best sound producing games I've played. Crazy sound effects galore.

Hero

How is multiplayer? Not sure if I care for all the talk that it's been changed to imitate COD. Can you disable that stuff in playlists?

No it doesn't. Sound of the best weapon sounds in any game I've ever played. Just beautiful sounds. Beautiful visuals. And the multiplayer is awesome. Can't stop playing.
Yeah. I am in awe, complete awe at some of the audio work here. Visuals too.

And especially love the effort that went into making Spartans feel heavy, more mechanical, and the player perspective within the helmet. Its subtle work, but it adds so damn much.

Glassboy

Does anyone feel like this game has too many weapons? Every game they are introducing more weapons while at the same time retaining most of the weapons from previous games. After playing multiplayer a bit, I do not understand while the battle rifle and dmr coexist. A lot of weapons serve the same function as the other without distinguishing themselves a whole lot. Most of the weapons sound beastly. Not a fan of the battle rifle sound though.

TheOddOne

How is multiplayer? Not sure if I care for all the talk that it's been changed to imitate COD. Can you disable that stuff in playlists?
Slayer Pro Playlist - No armor abilities, no Ordnance systems and only DMR, BR and AR loadouts.

Rest of the playlist have the new Halo 4 settings.

Rail gun?

Whatever it is, it's something that you can use as a default weapon in your loadout, is very popular (almost everyone uses it as their main), and isn't available at the start of a new profile. It completely dominates every match, and made my brother (who bought the game) and my fiance (who loves Halo) quit and go back to watching returns because of the way it warped matches.

Halo is about encounters, each one evolves differently. Call of Duty is about who sees whom first (whack a mole) because kill times are so short. This gun swings hard to the CoD end of that spectrum and isn't what any of us look for in Halo.

Yeah. I am in awe, complete awe at some of the audio work here. Visuals too.

And especially love the effort that went into making Spartans feel heavy, more mechanical, and the player perspective within the helmet. Its subtle work, but it adds so damn much.

I'm blown away by the sound and the visuals. The only time the sound fails is during the cutscenes. Sounds too low. I also hate the sound of the Warthog.

But I change my opinion on the weight of the warthog. I just had a good run with the warthog in multiplayer with a friend in the back on the cannon. We chewed it up. So much fun.

Ken

Whatever it is, it's something that you can use as a default weapon in your loadout, is very popular (almost everyone uses it as their main), and isn't available at the start of a new profile. It completely dominates every match, and made my brother (who bought the game) and my fiance (who loves Halo) quit and go back to watching returns because of the way it warped matches.

Halo is about encounters, each one evolves differently. Call of Duty is about who sees whom first (whack a mole) because kill times are so short. This gun swings hard to the CoD end of that spectrum and isn't what any of us look for in Halo.

Light rifle. You get a skin for it in the LE console so you can have it from SR1. Otherwise it's SR22 unlock I think. I've fought a few LR users and it's not that bad.

Havok

I wish there were a middle ground between Infinity Slayer and TS Pro. I like radar (shoot me), I like having the entire loadout range available, and at a certain point, I wouldn't mind very, very restricted personal ordnance. But I don't like randomized Global Ordnance. I don't like the plethora of power weapons and powerups that litter the maps. They can't please everyone, Reach showed us that with its 25 playlists, but I'd like to see a toned down slayer variant that isn't barebones.
Light rifle. You get a skin for it in the LE console so you can have it from SR1. Otherwise it's SR22 unlock I think. I've fought a few LR users and it's not that bad.
Yeah, I can't imagine the Light Rifle of all things being a gamebreaker. It, like the other rifles, seem to be trumped in most cases by a strong DMR.

But at the same time, I can't imagine what other loadout weapon fits the description.

Does anyone feel like this game has too many weapons? Every game they are introducing more weapons while at the same time retaining most of the weapons from previous games. After playing multiplayer a bit, I do not understand while the battle rifle and dmr coexist. A lot of weapons serve the same function as the other without distinguishing themselves a whole lot. Most of the weapons sound beastly. Not a fan of the battle rifle sound though.
For me as a mediocre player, it's pretty obvious which I'll have most success with on certain maps:

AR--very close range, tight quarters.
BR -- mid range
DMR -- long range

I'm sure for better players who can snap DMR headshots on all the time even when duking it out in close quarters, yeah, those other choices seem worthless.

The BR sounds and feels so...rich, such a nice change from previous Halo games. Always felt that for being such a go to weapon, it never had any real sense of character before this.

Top Bottom