• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

The warthog sound is distinctly different between stereo 2.1 and 5.1 I played up to that point, looked up at my recover and it was set like that. Then shut down my Xbox, continued and everything in the game became fuller.

Don't know why my 360 sometimes boots in a fixed 2.1 it irritates me.
Mine does that too a lot. I hate it - need to manually go into settings and reset to Dolby Digital.

Elginer

Could not give a rats ass about Reach's superior textures when the framerate is so bloody up and down. In Halo 4 I've had no framerate issues yet in 3 hours of gameplay. If that comes at the cost of textures, I'll take it.

And that was the rub. Which is why I can't wait for next-gen. I want it all dammit! Amazing textures, dynamic water and that lighting from the heavens. Yeah, the framerate is rock ass solid and that's more important. I'm just a graphics whore lol.

Grisby

2 things:

1) Who says Halo has no comedy? Mission 3 spoilers near the end,
Whoever decided that it was open season to run down grunts was genius. I know it was supposed to be tense but I was laughing the entire escape.

2)Anyone getting some choppiness or fps drops in Big team battle games? Got some on Ragnarök just a moment ago.

Mupod

Halo defense force don't fucking take this as an insult. I'm just wondering when single player picks up? I just did the first 2 lvls and they both sucked. I love all the halo games and I'm sure this game picks up great I'm just wondering when

A little while after those new enemies show up it gets a LOT better. Not specifically because they are good or even more fun to fight than the Covenant, but rather just the kid gloves come off and they start letting the AI play in bigger areas. You'll see what I mean.

As for the new enemies I will say that I got really, really sick of headshotting Crawlers with the lightrifle by the end of the game. To the point where I don't even want to do a Legendary run right now. I couldn't WAIT to play more of 3, ODST and Reach after I beat them.

TUROK

Could not give a rats ass about Reach's superior textures when the framerate is so bloody up and down. In Halo 4 I've had no framerate issues yet in 3 hours of gameplay. If that comes at the cost of textures, I'll take it.
The moment you first see the Covenant in the second level there's a pretty significant frame drop that remains until you stop looking at the distant scenery. Also, Reach not only had superior textures, but much bigger levels and much bigger draw distances. Hell, Halo 3 had bigger levels and bigger draw distances than 4.

Neither game is as fluid as Halo 3, unfortunately.

Honestly Slayer games feel just like MLG free-for-alls..which I'm completely cool with.

My only big gripes multiplayer-wise is the lack of ranked playlists and retro (normal Halo Slayer, CTF, etc) playlists.

The return of the Forerunners? An official look at them and their dilemmas outside of the books? The revelation of the Forerunner-Human war, which the average Halo fan who hadn't read the books, didn't know about. Spartan 4's? Just because there's not soap opera drama happening between the species of the Covenant doesn't mean the wheels aren't turning and a story isn't being told. Not to mention the entire Cortana plot.

That said, there is drama happening within the Covenant. I'm sure it will come into play as we move forward with the Reclaimer trilogy. There's also a ton more that we're going to see of and from the Forerunners. This is just the beginning.
Here's the thing (full game spoilers, beware):
Nobody, at any point in this campaign stops for a moment and asks "Who is this Didact person?", "Why does he hate humanity?", "Who is the Librarian?", "What does this conductor do exactly?", "Why is it a threat?", "What is meant by 'Prometheans are ancient humanity'?"

To leave the audience absolutely, 100% bereft of any background, motivation, or any semblance of the stakes is mind-boggling to me. You get one extremely vague conversation with the Librarian and thats supposed to provide for everything? Not good.

Not only that but 95% of your objectives fail. You do all this work to get comms with the Infinity but it crashes down anyway. You try to constrain Didact from leaving and he does anyway. You try to save a research base and fail. You try to detonate the Conductor, and fail. And all of this even though you successfully complete all of your objectives. This game is one cock-block after another, all to destroy an enemy most Halo players had no idea about when they booted up the game and still have no idea about by the end.

And at 5 hours, thats crazy short for a Halo campaign. If anything its making me think of Spartan Ops as a Xbox Live Gold gated half of a campaign, rather than anything "extra".

I'll still play it plenty, but I just think the ball was dropped big time on campaign.

Elginer

The moment you first see the Covenant in the second level there's a pretty significant frame drop that remains until you stop looking at the distant scenery. Also, Reach not only had superior textures, but much bigger levels and much bigger draw distances.

agreed.

And that was the rub. Which is why I can't wait for next-gen. I want it all dammit! Amazing textures, dynamic water and that lighting from the heavens. Yeah, the framerate is rock ass solid and that's more important. I'm just a graphics whore lol.

I'm with ya. I want it all as well.

j-wood

You guys keep referring to btb multiplayer. Is that big team battle? The only thing I see is big team slayer.

Also this is the first halo game I'm getting into online. When can your opponents hear you?

danwarb

I noticed more slowdown in 4 than in Reach through the campaign. Motion blur helped Reach to feel a little smoother in general.

I do like this game, but at present it's 4th favourite 360 Halo.

Mupod

Nobody, at any point in this campaign stops for a moment and asks "Who is this Didact person?", "Why does he hate humanity?", "Who is the Librarian?", "What does this conductor do exactly?", "Why is it a threat?", "What is meant by Prometheans are ancient humanity?"

To leave the audience absolutely, 100% bereft of any background, motivation, or any semblance of the stakes is mind-boggling to me. You get one extremely vague conversation with the Librarian and thats supposed to provide for everything? Not good.

Not only that but 95% of your objectives fail. You do all this work to get comms with the Infinity but it crashes down anyway. You try to constrain Didact from leaving and he does anyway. You try to save a research base and fail. You try to detonate the Conductor, and fail. And all of this even though you successfully complete all of your objectives. This game is one cock-block after another, all to destroy an enemy most Halo fans had no idea about when they booted up the game and still have no idea about by the end.

And at 5 hours, thats crazy short for a Halo campaign. If anything its making me think of Spartan Ops as a Xbox Live Gold gated half of a campaign, rather than anything "extra".

I'll still play it plenty, but I just think the ball was dropped big time on campaign.

I haven't read a Halo book since before Reach came out and I had no trouble following along. It did throw me off a bit when Chief started talking about the big bad as if he knew exactly who he was, when he should've been like 'who the fuck is that dude'.

I did enjoy most of the campaign and it definitely took me longer than 5 on heroic. Haven't played spartan ops yet but I'm hoping it's more of the parts I liked (
big combined battles with Covenant + Prometheans working together
) and less of what I freaking hated
FIGHT 500 CRAWLERS THEN GET ONE SHOTTED BY AN INCINERATION CANNON, also promethean weapons only for 2 hours except for one gravity hammer.

Mr.Fresh

Finally got the hang of things and all I can say is that this is the most fun I have had with an online shooter since Killzone 2 . I love it!

I noticed more slowdown in 4 than in Reach through the campaign. Motion blur helped Reach to feel a little smoother in general.

I do like this game, but at present it's 4th favourite 360 Halo.

I've seen none in 4 so far. Reach's framerate issues started immediately off the chopper. I enjoyed Reach, but not even close to how much I enjoyed 3. I dont know yet how 4 will hold up to 3, but I'm already enjoying it more in multi.

Mupod

You guys keep referring to btb multiplayer. Is that big team battle? The only thing I see is big team slayer.

Also this is the first halo game I'm getting into online. When can your opponents hear you?

Haven't played online yet, does it still have proximity voice? That shit was hilarious. Best moment was playing Invasion in Reach and sneaking up on some kid who had just picked up a sniper rifle. He was sitting there singing some song 'I got the sniper, I got the sniper, oh yeah I got the sniper'. I walk up and assassinate him then he starts SCREAMING into his mic NOOO NOOO NOOO.

Jibbed

Nobody, at any point in this campaign stops for a moment and asks "Who is this Didact person?", "Why does he hate humanity?", "Who is the Librarian?", "What does this conductor do exactly?", "Why is it a threat?", "What is meant by 'Prometheans are ancient humanity'?"

Not only that but 95% of your objectives fail. You do all this work to get comms with the Infinity but it crashes down anyway. You try to constrain Didact from leaving and he does anyway. You try to save a research base and fail. You try to detonate the Conductor, and fail. And all of this even though you successfully complete all of your objectives. This game is one cock-block after another, all to destroy an enemy most Halo players had no idea about when they booted up the game and still have no idea about by the end.

+1, I'd call myself a pretty informed Halo fan and I'm struggling like hell to get my head around what's going on.

The whole Chief being evolved further by the Librarian thing was just insane, I almost laughed. The end-game Cortana scenes are reminiscent of Mass Effect 3's love-interest goodbye scenes as well... so dumb.

This game, for better or for worse, is 110% for the super-fans that have read every book 3 times.

The moment you first see the Covenant in the second level there's a pretty significant frame drop that remains until you stop looking at the distant scenery. Also, Reach not only had superior textures, but much bigger levels and much bigger draw distances. Hell, Halo 3 had bigger levels and bigger draw distances than 4.

HALO 4 has textures for the environment that are way more detailed then in Reach or 3. Just look at the second level rocks, ground, bolders and nothing in Reach or 3 looked like them. As for bigger levels, I have not seen anything less from prior games. In the 3 level near the end you have that huge area to roam and takle it with many vehicles you can use. HALO 3 draw distances drew no where as near polys for the environments in HALO 4. Just look at the flat rounded mountains in HALO 3 compared to the sharp detailed cliffs in HALO 4.

I'll be posting up pics soon.

Trey

The Warthog controls and sounds like an RC toy.

I liked the campaign. Although I can see how it does nothing for those who have not read the books. Definitely can understand some knocking off points for that.

I don't mind the fact that the game doesn't really explain the Didact in depth. The Covenant were the same way in CE. They were zealous aliens who wanted to exterminate humanity. The end.

Also,
I swear the Chief was giving "I don't have time for your shit" looks underneath his visor all game.

I had noooo idea what was going on in the story. It's not like I wasn't paying attention, I think the game just did a terrible job explaining things. I liked the sub-story between Cortana and Chief, but wish there was more attention paid to it.

It falls apart once the Didact shows up. He appears and says some evil stuff, but then everyone suddenly knows who he is and that he must be stopped now. It just feels so sudden, one minute you're just trying to hail the Infinity and get your bearings, and then the next you have a clear mission and villain. It doesn't establish Didact as an evil guy, it just kind of tells you he is., and the rest of the game you're just heading for waypoints because Cortana tells you to, not really understanding why you're going there or how you're ultimately going to stop this guy, or even what he's doing that you have to stop.

Additionally, the Librarian cutscene was SO confusing, and this coming from a Halo lore nut. I can't imagine anyone who hasn't read Cryptum would have the slightest idea what's going on.

Crptum/Primordium question:
Since when is the Didact evil anyway? I didn't finish Cryptum, but throughout that he didn't seem to hate humans, just put himself above them, and he was so against the Halo array he got locked in the cryptum for ages. Does something happen in the rest of the books to make him suddenly eeevul?

Really disappointed with the story. It's better than every other Halo game I guess, but that's not saying much. I was impressed with the gameplay, graphics and sound though. Fantastic game still.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
For the love of....

Why is controller customization so bare? I just wanted to swap sprint and crouch, now I'm stuck with Boxer or Recon's sweeping changes.

Reach had tons of dynamic light sources, 4 has incessant flares and light shafts, but none do sunny outdoors like 3's HDR.

HALO 4's HDR is pretty close. Was playing on Meltdown and the HDR really shows with the snow. Espicially the tone mapping and how color in this game really pops out. It's simply amazing.

Also HALO 4 is pushing more light sources then Reach.

Not only are every plasma bullet cast dynamic lights, every vehicle has more light sources onto environments and guns too. When I pick up the Light Rifle and walked into some foilage the light from the gun was casting onto the foilage. And the Prometheans light up anything they are near and themselves. The jackals shields cast light too which Reach didn't do. Crazy amount of dynamic lights.

The combat is just sooo good. This is probably the only game I can think of where the core mechanics and controls could not possibly be any better. And now it finally looks and sounds as good as it plays. It's so easily my GOTY.

Trey

The combat is just sooo good. This is probably the only game I can think of where the core mechanics and controls could not possibly be any better. And now it finally looks and sounds as good as it plays. It's so easily my GOTY.

Yep.

The story could have been better though. Halo 4 didn't really advance the plot in satisfying ways, but mechanically, it was rock solid.

Also, the presentation was amazing. The voice acting was solid and animation was ridiculous. Doubly so coming from Halo 3/Reach.

Dominion seems to be getting me the most xp, because the games are usually really short and it always has a game complete bonus of at least 1k. That being said, I hope they implement a "survival dominion" with unlimited points, and just try and get rid of the other teams bases and last stands. It could have a timer if games go on too long (which I doubt they will, based on my personal experiences with the gametype), and then take the total points of each side as a last resort for scoring.

The lighting alone is worlds better in Halo 4 compared to 3 and Reach.

The campaign must really be good then because the lighting in the multiplayer is garbage compared to the older games.
I also played a lot of Big Team Battle matches & there is quite a bit of frame-rate drops.

Textures look like they took a hit.

Prologue

Reach> Halo 3=Halo 4>Halo 1 > Halo 2 in terms of story.
Halo 4 > Halo 3 = Reach > Halo 1 in terms of gameplay.
Beat it on legendary. I wonder If i won that E3 contest form amex.

Anyway, I had trouble following along with Halo 4's story. I have to watch the cutscenes again on youtube and the terminals. It just felt a bit disconnected sometimes. Everything between Cortana and Chief was memorable. They were the story for me and thats the only reason I put it up there with Halo 3. Some might wonder why I put Reach there. I'm a sucker for stories revolving around teams. That and I understood everything that went on, unlike halo 4.

I didn't particular like fighting against the new enemy. A real pain in the ass. Obviously its not meant to be easy, it was just annoying. Weapons are sparse in legendary in this game as well. I hardly even died in Reach.
The graphics, they must have sold their souls or something. I have not been this impressed since uncharted and infamous. I don't play games as much as I use to but I found my self taking in the environment a lot more in this game. There are plenty of beautiful moments, graphically.

Just work on the story 343. Make it flow better. I hear everything connects a lot better with the terminals, but that doesn't make much sense to have that in the background if its essential.
I want Cortana back, period. If anything, this should have happened in the last game. At the start of the trilogy though? Come on. I got the impression they just wanted to move on from her :(
P.S: Make a better legendary ending next time please :). Don't add a 1 second detail thats different.

Pachinko

Well I bought it , put a couple hours into it and what can I say other then - It's Halo. The world seems a bit more developed this time around and since I'm early in the game still I'm curious about far too much that I'm sure will get answered later (I hope) but the core halo gameplay survived the pass to a new developer and the whole thing has never looked better than it does now although Reach was awful close in the graphical department.

The music seems alright so far but it's not grabbing me instantly like Marty's stuff did.

My only complaint so far - I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the sound design in some cases, they redid all the vehicles and while the covenant being otherworldly and all , still sound OK- the warthog sounded like an angry lawnmower instead of well... a warthog. Weapons still mostly sound fine outside of grenades which seem to lack any sort of bass (very strange).

Top Bottom