• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Played around 10 matches or so. Really digging it so far. One thing is the controls. Unless I skipped over it, I couldn't find anything similar to H3 or Reach. Is there no way to reload with right bumper and melee with B?? If not, it's going to take some major getting used to.

Same as Reach, use the Recon setting.

Did Bungie take the original sound with them and not want to give it back? Not sure why they'd change. And if they felt like it needed to be changed, why change it to this? It just sounds bad.

I'm in the second level and came here specifically to post about this. The Warthog is one of the most irritating high pitched effects I've heard in a while. Couldn't they have recorded a Charger or something??

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wow, both my xbox accts are locked. Guess I'm not getting Halo 4 until that's fixed.

Lingitiz

I'm in the second level and came here specifically to post about this. The Warthog is one of the most irritating high pitched effects I've heard in a while. Couldn't they have recorded a Charger or something??
I really like alot of the new sounds, but the changes to the sword and warthog are just baffling. The ghost sounds amazing though, best change out of the bunch.

george_us

I feel this way about all the sound effects in the game, really. With the exception of the AR, there's not a single sound that doesn't sound worse than it did in the Bungie Halos, I'm not sure why they changed everything.

The Grunt/Elite voices were perfect as they were damnit!
Honestly I always thought the majority of the sound effects were a little goofy imo. I really like the new sounds in H4. Everything sounds much meatier.

i really hate that decision. the terminal videos are very important for the story and should not be for gold members only.

anyway: what do you guys think about the new weapons?

forerunner:
-lightrifle: amazing but like all the forerunner weapons, not distinctive enough. they need to be more alien in form an function.
-binary rifle: looks too much like the lr but its the best sniper weapon in the game.
-boltshot: great pistol but i dislike the slight delay when you fire a single shot.
-scattershot: dont like it. only usefull against bigger enemies right in front of you.
-surpressor: ugh. ugly as sin and useless.
-rocket launcher thing: meh, just another rocket launcher.

love all the new unsc weapons.
The Incineration Cannon is my favorite new weapon in mp. It's almost impossible to not kill someone with it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Played ~10 MP matches and had a blast. I haven't watched pretty much anything on this game so seeing all the changes has been interesting. Not really sure how the ordnance packages really work(randomized selections it looks like?), but it's been fun. Ended up getting a speed boost with a rocket launcher and got some ridiculous double kills.

Petrichor

The Incineration Cannon is my favorite new weapon in mp. It's almost impossible to not kill someone with it.

The incineration cannon, sticky detonator, railgun (<3) and SAW are great additions to the halo sandbox. Back to the drawing board for the rest of the promethean weapons though...

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Only two complaints from me - Warthog sound and Flood "scream" in Infected.

Otherwise, loving it.

Bullza2o

Yeah, the campaign's great, but the vehicle sections really do feel like more of an afterthought than anything. There's no level comparable to Assault on the Control Room or The Covenant, for example. It's a real shame.

Oh man. One of my favorite things to do in campaign was cruising around and trying to get my warthog go inside buildings. Oh well, there are always vehicles in the MP maps.

V_Ben

Banned
Man, this game is just beautiful. Me and a flatmate have been playing it co-op, and it's just astoundingly good looking at points. Made with real care and attention to detail, loving it so far. And god damn does that sprint button make all the difference.

Tawpgun

Can't believe I never made/heard about this connection before

Halo 4/Fall of Reach/Cryptum Spoilers

So a big theme of Master Chief has been his luck... in Cryptum the geas were introduced... the Librarian in Halo 4 basically said that Chief's luck was due to his gea. Damn.

StuBurns

Banned
Not got to play it yet, hopefully I'll do a two player legendary coop run this weekend, but I have watched an hour or so, and just wanted to say I'm super impressed with it visually. Not only is it technically stunning, by far the best looking 360 game, but artistically it is just beautiful constantly.

I haven't been impressed with a console game graphically since God of War 3, and I haven't been impressed with a 360 game graphically since Gears 1, but this game just demonstrates so blatantly how little everyone else is even trying, because it seems like a near impossible leap.

I wasn't sure why everyone was so impressed with the visuals, since I'd seen some multiplayer at the Eurogamer show, but the campaign is just incredible. Just wanted to say congrats to the 343i technical/art guys, truly top tier work.

Can't believe I never made/heard about this connection before

Halo 4/Fall of Reach/Cryptum Spoilers

So a big theme of Master Chief has been his luck... in Cryptum the geas were introduced... the Librarian in Halo 4 basically said that Chief's luck was due to his gea. Damn.

Yeah, thought that was done very well. Seriously, this time around the people who don't read the books are missing pieces. I imagine that might be a little frustrating.

Not sure what people are talking about, there is a great deal of sandboxy stuff with the vehicles in campaign. Especially on Legendary where you need to be smart about your utilization of vehicles. Having a lot of fun on my legendary run. Game seems easier but that has a lot to do with my patience this time around and knowing the level design.

Karak

Not got to play it yet, hopefully I'll do a two player legendary coop run this weekend, but I have watched an hour or so, and just wanted to say I'm super impressed with it visually. Not only is it technically stunning, by far the best looking 360 game, but artistically it is just beautiful constantly.

I haven't been impressed with a console game graphically since God of War 3, and I haven't been impressed with a 360 game graphically since Gears 1, but this game just demonstrates so blatantly how little everyone else is even trying, because it seems like a near impossible leap.

I wasn't sure why everyone was so impressed with the visuals, since I'd seen some multiplayer at the Eurogamer show, but the campaign is just incredible. Just wanted to say congrats to the 343i technical/art guys, truly top tier work.

Agreed on pretty much everything here. The jump in some places is insane for a console. Not insane from sequel to sequel but on the exact same hardware and then boom to see Halo4. The amount of effects and so forth occurring alone is pretty impressive.

smurfx

get some go again
got halo today from newegg. pretty cool getting it the day it comes out. gave it to my nephew as an early xmas present.

BearPawB

Banned
Imagine Halo5 on the next xbox. Just try to imagine what is possible. The frame rate. The scale. there is no such thing as TOO SOON

Lingitiz

Agreed on pretty much everything here. The jump in some places is insane for a console. Not insane from sequel to sequel but on the exact same hardware and then boom to see Halo4. The amount of effects and so forth occurring alone is pretty impressive.
I can't even imagine what Halo 5 will look like. If you think about the hectic development this game had relative to how good it looks, its only logical to expect Halo 5 to be mindblowing graphically.

Trickster

FOTUS Armoured looks a lot like, what it's name. Anime action series stars with G.

Guyver?

Gundam?

So how does the Halo Gaf crew like this game ?

Dunno if I qualify as "halo gaf".

But I absolutely loved the campaign. Story and characters is told and portrayed in a manner that is leagues ahead of the way bungie ever did it. The story is also much better and less cryptic than previous halo games.

Graphically it's likewise much better than previous halo games, yes they did make some sacrifices in certain areas, but the overall look of the game is so much better than previous halo games.

Sound effects and music are also both better than in previous games as far as I'm concerned, love the music, and weapons sounds super crisp.

I've yet to try out multiplayer, so can't really comment on that, but if the campaign is anything to go by, this will probably be the halo game I play the most multiplayer in.

Top Bottom