• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

How is multiplayer? Not sure if I care for all the talk that it's been changed to imitate COD. Can you disable that stuff in playlists?

I haven't played a ton of multiplayer (again only about three hours), but it's definitely CoD-inspired. Perks, kill streaks (sort of), super short kill times, insta respawn, nerfed vehicles, and downplay of non-UNSC weapons.

Also, the color is bad in this game. Like, one of Halo's strengths is (was?) use of color, it helped things with visual clues, but this game kind of washed that out. I know it's played out to say things are too brown, but H4 is way too brown. I'm not even sure the Ghosts are purple anymore. That makes gameplay worse, or at least harder.

Is this the first halo where getting shot doesn't take you out of zoom? I really hate that it doesn't and think that might be why kill time seems so short. You can't knock someone out of zoom to give yourself time to get to cover.

Pooya

(near end campaign spoiler ahead)

Anyone else dislikes this
Death Star part? it's not annoying or anything but bad and pointless, yikes. Space/piloting levels were a lot better in Reach.

this game was like TRON x Assassin's Creed, not sure if I liked the story or not, feel indifferent right now.

way too many crawlers, I'm tired, 'that one corridor' is like resident evil

I didn't think this was short for halo, not sure how you beat this in 5h on Heroic, I must suck at this game. easily 7-8h for me and I didn't even die that much.

overall campaign thoughts

+ soundtrack,
- but volume is so low and I had to bring it up to clearly hear things and then guns sounds too loud. There is no way to change volume in game, like all the other halo games I think, meh. I think I should just play this with headphones as it stands for it to sound good enough

-Storm Rifle, this doesn't look no where as cool as iconic Plasma Rifle, sounds lame too, all covenant weapons sound worse.

-Fuel Rod Gun , the boom woomwooom sound from Halo 3 is gone, this was the most satisfying weapon to fire before and it's only okay.

+UNSC guns feel better than ever.

+the new gun look really cool, sound awesome too

-but they are just other weapons remodeled, not really any different use that those.

+I like sprinting, in bigger levels is very useful for going around and flanking.

+Auto sentry is powerful and useful

-new grenades look cool but I don't think I killed anyone with them even once

+Vehicle section were pretty cool, not enough Warthog

+Visor ability is really cool in campaign, not sure in multi

-Active camo is useless in campaign, you're only invisible when you're standing still? meh, it's only good for hiding I guess not sneaking past enemies.

-not enough variety in covenant enemies. they don't make as many different and distinct noises as before anymore either imo

-I was kind of expecting the new enemies were more than
3 types
, Knights are cool but without a heavy weapon shooting them with usual scoped weapons is like wasting away all you ammo.

+enemy AI gets better in later parts, they did some cool things. Knights and Elites both.

-Banshee, these control horribly, were they this bad in Reach? haven't played that much. Banshee 's were best in Halo CE still :\
you either move very very slowly, so much than any firearm can hit you or too fast with boost. physics felt bad to me. looks like a death trap right now

other than some repetitive parts, it was pretty good campaign. I'd rank it like this right now after one play through.

3>CE>ODST>Reach=4>>>>2

wwm0nkey

Is this the first halo where getting shot doesn't take you out of zoom? I really hate that it doesn't and think that might be why kill time seems so short. You can't knock someone out of zoom to give yourself time to get to cover.

When you get hit your reticle gets knocked all over the place though.

volturnus

Banned
How is multiplayer? Not sure if I care for all the talk that it's been changed to imitate COD. Can you disable that stuff in playlists?
The gameplay itself is way better than Reach, matches are a lot more dynamic and some COD elements made the experience feel fresh.
In spite of all improvements, it is currently severely lacking in playlists (King of the Hill and Oddball playlists but no Multi Team or SWAT?) and it's clear the game needs balancing, so it's up to whether this is important for you.

Halo 4 feels like I showed up to play a game of basketball with my friends but we're using a volleyball instead, we don't have to dribble, and the scoring is different. It sort of resembles the game I showed up to play, but the mechanics are different and it's just not right.

Maybe I'll have more fun with it this weekend when I'm not preoccupied with the election :D

TheOddOne

Halo 4 feels like I showed up to play a game of basketball with my friends but we're using a volleyball instead, we don't have to dribble, and the scoring is different. It sort of resembles the game I showed up to play, but the mechanics are different and it's just not right.

Maybe I'll have more fun with it this weekend when I'm not preoccupied with the election :D
I was terrible with the Grenade Launcher in Reach in the beginning, but boy when I mastered it later on it felt so good. Just take time to learn them and see what works.

My fucking LE I ordered in June is still "Shipping Soon" at Amazon and I have Prime.

Considering going back with shitty GameStop for my business in the future.

I was terrible with the Grenade Launcher in Reach in the beginning, but boy when I mastered it later on it felt so good. Just take time to learn them and see what works.

It's not the weapons per se, but the kill times. Halo firefights are like old kung fu movie fights. These new ones are POP POP dead. It's the pace more so than any specific feature.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Holy shit join in progress breaks the game.

Already getting games with insanely bad hosts (Thanks heaps for that good connection filter. Oh wait) and 10+ black screens in 5v5 games.

volturnus

Banned
>play BTB
>get 25 kills
>team loses by 10

Halo 4
It isn't anything new to Halo 4, sometimes your team is crushed and plays progressively worse because people get frustrated. I remember killing 41 in a 50-point SWAT match in Reach, but still managed to lose after the rest of team killed only 6.

Jonsoncao

Banned
It isn't anything new to Halo 4, sometimes your team is crushed and plays progressively worse because people get frustrated. I remember killing 41 in a 50-point SWAT match in Reach, but still managed to lose after the rest of team killed only 6.

LOL SWAT, then that's normal.

Crptum/Primordium question:
Since when is the Didact evil anyway? I didn't finish Cryptum, but throughout that he didn't seem to hate humans, just put himself above them, and he was so against the Halo array he got locked in the cryptum for ages. Does something happen in the rest of the books to make him suddenly eeevul?
Silentium will answer those questions.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
ok, this has exceeded my expectations so far. absolutely outstanding (campaign, just finished level 4)

GamerSoul

Nice. But yea i agree. You could be having the game of your life but if your team mates arent pitching in then you could still lose.

MrBig

Played through 4/8 campaign levels and got up to SR12 in MP. I'm impressed, 343. Now I'll sleep so that I can play more tomorrow without my eyes bleeding.

Is Ravine the only map where you can place structures in Forge? Where's the forge maps?

Ravine, Impact, and Erosion are the forge maps.

vv Can't wait to get the LR unlocked, absolutely loved it in SP.

Every returning weapon and vehicle had its legacy sound effects swapped for more 'realistic' sound effects. It's now extremely difficulty to differentiate between what's been fired at you and distinct weapons like those of Covenant lost some of their flavor by sounding like human weapons. It sucks.

You're being nostalgic about something that wasn't even good. I don't know what to say.

Anyway. The ending. ;_; The credits music. ;_;

Man i love this game. This is the halo ive wanted since the original. Loving the new enemies too, requires different strategies or you get your ass kicked.

Just tried a game of multiplayer and again awesome :) Think this will be my first halo i spend more time in multi then i do singleplayer.

Great work 343 .

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Finished Campaign. Liked it. I do see why the term "short" is given to it. Does feel a little short.

I can see where the lack of detailed information from the books, will confuse people. It really is a "here's a secret guy in a ball!" and somehow we just start calling him Didact!

But, I had managed to read a detailed synopsis of the 2 book series, so in that way, it makes sense. While it might not be a great way to make a story for a game, I appreciate the premise of an large, overarching story.

Need to find more terminals in Halo 4. Think I've found 4 of 6 or 7. Thought they were the same as the Halo Anniversary ones, but I'm glad they seem to be new. They go into more detail of the main "villain"

Minion101

Banned
I've never been a big halo guy but 4 has been holding my interest the most. Really digging it.

And the new Cortana is so.....

schwing_display.png

cresto

I went to pick up my copy of Halo 4 after work/voting only to find the best buy and surrounding areas was completely blocked off due to some ridiculous illegal monthly car meeting. I never new such a dumb thing exists. A bunch of import car owners just take over the whole area and hang out...what kind of thing is that to do? I wanted my damn copy of halo 4! ahhhh. Mother fuckers...

finowns

Surprised at how good the multiplayer is. Much better than Reach. Only problem is the ranking system is complete trash. Do they wonder why people played halo 2 for like 5 years? It was because everyone wanted that 16 or 34. Ranking adds a unique competitiveness in halo that you don't find in other games and should be staple in something branded Halo. Halo 3 seems to have started the rankings system descent into hell.

* nostalgically thinking about how me and my team killed ourselves trying to get a 16 in halo 2.

Adding leader boards and clan function seems to be a pipe dream but here is hoping.

fin

Just finished campaign on heroic. Id say that was my favorite Halo, good job 343!

Now where is the spoiler thread?

Top Bottom