• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

newsguy

In my "zone" I went 20-6 last night. Mostly I average 10 kills 10 deaths. I'm damned average at this game, but I love it anyway. The leap from 3 to 4 graphically is very nice as well. Some of the new lighting is simply beautiful, and the art is also something to commend. I convinced a buddy of mine to buy it so we could go through the campaign together. the moment we hit the first warthog sequence I was teleported back to my youth and Halo 1 sitting on a couch with a friend. Good times.

Preordered the LE edition at local gamestop, got it in my email on the 5th, installed everything, started the campaing: no english voice acting available (fully dubbed), just subtitles.

Why Microsoft, whyyyyyyyyyyngggggggggggggh *goes into a corner crying*

FyreWulff

There were plenty of times in the mission(s?) leading up to the Didact's cryptum opeing that had three way battles. The three way battels were almost too intense, one side would win if you wait a bit then you have way fewer enemies to take out.

Every time both were on the field they all just fired at me. But then again, 4's AI is weird. It seems dumber and less alert than Reach and 3. Elites will just stand while you shoot them, grunts not reacting to losing their leader, Banshees getting stuck....

Maybe it'll be more noticable once I do my solo run. I've only played this game in co-op for the record, first time since Halo 1 that I've completed a Halo in co-op first.

NBtoaster

Motion capture, and animation are all much better, and the real stand out is the lighting. Halo 4's lighting is beautiful! But it comes at a cost. Texture quality is to be quite frank abysmal. Reach was a texture monster that invested a lot into that tech, while still keeping SOME of the elements of Halo 3's water which was just delicious.

Textures are fantastic, maybe even better than Reach. There's just no AF so they turn to mush when far away.

I think technically the game is doing more than even screenshots show. There's a real-time component to shadows when you get close, especially noticable with trees. And explosions near the screen still show some kind of motion blur.

Welp, the honeymoon's over. I'm already bored with the game. Graphics look nice for a console game, yeah, but that can only hold me for so long. It's very disappointing that they just went for shoot shoot shoot approach than to evolve Halo's strategic kill approach. Anyone want this copy? PM me. Otherwise, it'll be up on glyde.

Never again am I buying MS's hype.

I am loving the MP but I did take a long break from Reach for a good while, but it all feels fresh to me.

Loving it...played about 6 BTB games with a buddy (no connection issues) and three levels of campaign.

Best shooter I have played in a while. When you die in MP, you earned it.

A couple of things;

1) Mechs rule. Holy shit they are tough. Where do they spawn?

2) Was running away from a.warthog, our mech was running behind me...I chuck a grenade through the legs of our mech and it bounces up and takes out the warthog. Awesome <3

9/10 for me.

danwarb

Textures are fantastic, maybe even better than Reach. There's just no AF so they turn to mush when far away.

I think technically the game is doing more than even screenshots show. There's a real-time component to shadows when you get close, especially noticable with trees. And explosions near the screen still show some kind of motion blur.

Textures turn to mush up close too. The overall look is less consistent/noisier I think.

Woorloog

Banned
Hate to be a party pooper, but everyone who plays before the 14th gets them on the 30th.

Yeah, someone said that yesterday. And i noted that this only applies to NA, IIRC, not Europe.
Besides, maybe there is someone who wants them even earlier?

EDIT i sure as hell don't do anything with them and don't know anyone to whom i could give them either... A friend intends to play Halo 4 MP too) but considering how rarely he plays, by the time he is SR50, we'll have all Specs unlocked anyway... And when het gets Halo 4, no idea. Might be month from now.

Cartman86

Banned
While i've never been a huge rabbid Halo fan I've always enjoyed playing the campaign with friends. Done it for every one since the first and i'm liking 4's campaign about as much as the rest. Only complaint is that the 4 player integration and context isn't as good as it has been in the past. Had a few teleporting problems and one section in particular early on was pretty terrible with 4 people.

Woorloog

Banned
Why is there no plasma rifle? Seems so odd to remove it for the storm rifle.

Why did Reach have both the Plasma Rifle and Repeater? Absolutely no point.
At some point there is just too much reduntancy.
Arguably the Halo 4 sandbox suffers from this too, but that is, IMO, due to Promethean weapons being too much like their human and Covie counterparts, not alien enough.

hwalker84

I hope 343 Industries sees this post.

I'd like to that all the men and women who helped create this wonderful game! It's exceeded my expectations and I'm blown away by what you guys where able to do with this franchise. Thank You!!

FyreWulff

Why did Reach have both the Plasma Rifle and Repeater? Absolutely no point.
At some point there is just too much reduntancy.
Arguably the Halo 4 sandbox suffers from this too, but that is, IMO, due to Promethean weapons being too much like their human and Covie counterparts, not alien enough.

From what I remember, the PR was intended to be campaign (so Elites still had something dual wielded) while the Repeater was intended to be it's replacement for multi.

just started the campaign.

wow, the opening cinematic was incredible. the in game cinematics are extremely high quality as well.

few things that bother me so far:

- is there a reason there are black bars on the side for co op? its so damn annoying.

- any way to do custom controls?

- im having problems with textures loading and stuff in levels loading a few seconds after i get there. is anyone else going through this? im assuming its my xbox as im still using my 5 year old 20gb premium

im only about an hour in but i like where its headed. its halo but the enemies are tough and i love the art direction so much :D

So far the maps seem a step up from reach, although I killed myself 5 times the first time I played solace.

BTB-size maps are actually fun too.

Going to play some campaign and Spartan Ops tonight to get a taste for them.

Woorloog

Banned
From what I remember, the PR was intended to be campaign (so Elites still had something dual wielded) while the Repeater was intended to be it's replacement for multi.

Yep. But that wasn't the case for the retail product. They could have just tweaked the Plasma Rifle to be a reasonable counterpart for the Assault Rifle in MP and have it work normally in campaign (well, technically that would require two different weapons, no?, IIRC Halo 2 has two weapons for the Wraith, Plasma Mortar and Plasma Mortar_MP (slower to fire)).

- is there a reason there are black bars on the side for co op? its so damn annoying. Since Halo 3, keeps the aspect ratio for split screens correct.

- any way to do custom controls? Only preset once, this won't be changing anytime soon for Halo... been the case for 10 years.

- im having problems with textures loading and stuff in levels loading a few seconds after i get there. is anyone else going through this? im assuming its my xbox as im still using my 5 year old 20gb premium Game installed or not? If not, i reckon the pop-up is due that, i didn't notice any while playing my installed game.

FyreWulff

Game design observation

The pelican mission is pretty much New Alexandria from Reach. Down to the quasi-random locations you have to go land at and work through, around a central focal point. Which is fitting since you could acquire a Pelican in New Alexandria via easter egg.

Yep. But that wasn't the case for the retail product. They could have just tweaked the Plasma Rifle to be a reasonable counterpart for the Assault Rifle in MP and have it work normally in campaign (well, technically that would require two different weapons, no?, IIRC Halo 2 has two weapons for the Wraith, Plasma Mortar and Plasma Mortar_MP (slower to fire)).

Halo 2's is weird because the Wraith has different firing speeds depending on the difficulty you've selected in campaign. Easy = fires the fastest, Legendary = fires the slowest.

edit: I misremembered but am editing this post so I don't get quote echoes.

Too soon to comment on overall quality as I'm only two levels in but damn it sure is pretty. Also, playing on normal I've already died three times lol. But the first one wasn't my fault, scripted explosion in the ship. >=(

Woorloog

Banned
Halo 2's is weird because the Wraith has different firing speeds depending on the difficulty you've selected in campaign. Easy = fires the fastest, Legendary = fires the slowest.

Whaa? I swear this isn't true. Dammit. Now i need to re-play Halo 2 on Legendary...

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
How man LEs did they print? I didn't pre-order this time around as the Cat Helmet and Reach Statue was still being sold well after launch.

The serial plate only has room for 6 digits so people are saying only 999,999 units were done. Don't think anything official has been said about it, though it is very limited. No local retailers here could fullfill their LE pre-orders and at least GameStop stated they wouldn't receive any futher.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I deserve an apology I think. I recall I was the first one to make these comments in regards to the campaign, but nooooooooo you couldn't be told, you wouldn't listen. all I was got what shit from you guys.

on a positive note, surprisingly there is one..

the multiplayer however is fantastic. best mp this gen. having a tonne of fun with it.

Game installed or not? If not, i reckon the pop-up is due that, i didn't notice any while playing my installed game.

silly question, but how do you install the game? i know the multiplayer has an install, should i do that before i resume the campaign? or is there something else i should do? i just popped in the first disc and started the campaign right away.

Since Halo 3, keeps the aspect ratio for split screens correct.

ahh okay. ive played the previous halos on an SDTV so i never noticed until now. that makes sense

Nirvana

Any complaints I had about Halo 4's campaign gameplay have gone away now that I am doing my solo Legendary run. You really get to see the way the battles are set up and how you can strategically approach them and getting a closer look at the environments has been a joy.

I can understand why some people are complaining about the Prometheans being boring and the gameplay feeling stale and I was considering those points when I played on normal, but this Legendary playthrough is where it is fucking at. Really enjoying it, bringing me back to my first (of many) Halo 2 Legendary playthough; just take your time, pick them off from afar and when in doubt, always carrying a plasma pistol.

I never thought I'd have this awesome feeling of difficulty again since Halo 2, but it has arrived. The vehicle sections, as they were in all other Halo games on Legendary are a bit of a chore, but that's what the difficulty level kind of designates.

Seriously though, if you aren't enjoying the Campaign, I recommend this whole-heartedly.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yes! It's also fun to experiment, be a bit more ballsy (and mostly fail, lol). But if it works out you feel like a boss.

This exactly. Playing the game last ngiht I had my first "fuck yeah Halo" moment after decimating a room full of grunts, jackals and two elites. I shot them with a covie carbine and got close with the shottie, smacked some bitches in the face, threw some frags and then finished it off with a sticky on an elite's head. The whole fight took maybe 10 seconds and I was giggling like a little kid afterwards.

That is how you do combat yo. And it's why I like Halo over the more realistic shooters - the capacity for shit to get bananas and for you to be playing like a cartoon character is so much higher than any other shooter.

Exile and Longbow(? I think that's it, the snow one) are so damn good. Those two and Ragnorak have had me playing BTB way more than I usually would.

ruxtpin

Banned
what the hell guys... The Marines ran me over with their
mammoth tank
... Aren't you supposed to stop and pick up MC if he's in front of you waving?

S1kkZ

is there a specific way to get into legendary spartan ops mission online? everytime i play with others, it defaults to heroic.

Top Bottom