• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

DrBo42

Finally getting around to the campaign. Pretty jaggy with mediocre textures but the lighting is ace. My main complaint so far is that the AI is pretty uneven. Sometimes they just stand in place when fired on at range.

hampig

I'm really surprised at how many positive reactions I'm seeing for the multiplayer. It feels like they're dumbing it down and taking away everything that makes the game Halo. Due to the speed and quickness of firefights you can't very easily stick with a partner and I never feel like a part of the team. The maps in normal slayer are too cramped for the differences in all the guns to really make any difference. The lower health takes away any good chance you have of fighting back a surprise attack, and takes away those long, continuously testing battles you'd have 1-1. It feels like Call of Duty with a Halo twist. Big team slayer feels a bit closer to what it should because of the more open maps but still, it's not Halo.

I'm really surprised at how many positive reactions I'm seeing for the multiplayer. It feels like they're dumbing it down and taking away everything that makes the game Halo. Due to the speed and quickness of firefights you can't very easily stick with a partner and I never feel like a part of the team. The maps in normal slayer are too cramped for the differences in all the guns to really make any difference. The lower health takes away any good chance you have of fighting back a surprise attack, and takes away those long, continuously testing battles you'd have 1-1. It feels like Call of Duty with a Halo twist. Big team slayer feels a bit closer to what it should because of the more open maps but still, it's not Halo.

I've pretty much been playing MP for about 6 hours and just stopped and haven't come across any difficulty in maintaining teamwork like you mentioned, not sure if you're going in solo, but I personally never play MP games without a group going together, though I know this isn't the case for the majority of people.

Also, I don't find the maps cramped at all. If anything, the AR/Plasma Rifle are pretty worthless if you ask me. A skilled person with a DMR/BR should be able to beat anyone with an AR or equivalent handily, given they didn't get the jump on them.

Even the close range weapons seem a bit less useful this time around, but that's A-OK with me. Give me a DMR/BR anytime of day.

Trey

5 sens.

Prometheans just take too much punishment and Crawlers are too numerous. That's my main problem with them.

They take about as much damage as a fully shielded elite, I find.

Problem is: there's no quick way to end them once their "shields" are down. You still have to put a few more bullets into them regardless.

Also, I'm positive it was you who made the point about the Recon layout not quite making sense (the sprint and AA buttons should be switched). I agree completely. I'm used to the current controls now, though.

Popeck

They take about as much damage as a fully shielded elite, I find.

Problem is: there's no quick way to end them once their "shields" are down. You still have to put a few more bullets into them regardless.

Also, I'm positive it was you who made the point about the Recon layout not quite making sense (the sprint and AA buttons should be switched). I agree completely. I'm used to the current controls now, though.

I think it takes two headshots to kill a knight after the shields depleted as there's still this sort of mask or helmet in front of the face (skull).

sado

Y'know, things break...
It's one day in on the multi and all people seem to play is Haven. Other than that I'm loving it myself. Beat legendary solo, solid story I thought. Didn't have the same problems that most of the reviewers are referencing either. Oh well.

Popeck

It's one day in on the multi and all people seem to play is Haven. Other than that I'm loving it myself. Beat legendary solo, solid story I thought. Didn't have the same problems that most of the reviewers are referencing either. Oh well.

Well, Haven is the most classic arena styled Halo map in the game and it's easily my favourite.

rakka

the medals were really clear and distinguishable in reach, now they all look the same. horrible change just for the sake of change.

GrizzNKev

Banned
So I finished the game solo on legendary within the first 24 hours after launch. My biggest complaint has to be the banshee AI. Sometimes it was helpful though. I just spent a few hours messing around in BTB, Pro Team, and Forge. Had a ton of fun, not quite the Halo I wanted but I can already tell this is going to stay with me longer than Reach did. I feel like a bigger Spartan in a bigger world. Everything feels huge.

So I finished the game solo on legendary within the first 24 hours after launch. My biggest complaint has to be the banshee AI. Sometimes it was helpful though. I just spent a few hours messing around in BTB, Pro Team, and Forge. Had a ton of fun, not quite the Halo I wanted but I can already tell this is going to stay with me longer than Reach did. I feel like a bigger Spartan in a bigger world. Everything feels huge.

Were there any parts on Legendary that were really tough for you? I just got to chapter 3, I believe. So far things have been going smoothly..

Damn people STAY up on that rooftop on Complex. Smh.

DMR their asses with a teammate.

Makes flood mode too easy.

You know those things got hops, right? Just gotta work with the other Flood and rampage that rooftop.

sado

Y'know, things break...

Agreed on the banshee AI. I had to sit behind pillars and just shoot them to death with the boltshot. Took forever to clear those sequences due to the instadeath they commit on you if you try to jump in one of the turrets. That and the lack of rocketlaunchers or anything you can use during those sequences near the beginning makes it pretty hard. I typically cleared everyone else out before spending 3-5 minutes shooting the banshees. Was annoying but doable, just would have liked to be able to use the turrets without dieing immediately on legendary. But hey, it's legendary. The only other part I had issues with were some of the early knights. I remember having a battle with one alone at medium-long range with a suppressor for over 8 minutes. Though, once you figure out how to approach them, they become easy. Since they're not as deadly as an elite solo (and their constant grenade throwing canned animation sequences), you can typically just walk up to them while drooling and pump them full of lead till they're dead with a suppressor or assault rifle.

I would say one point about the AI in general though, they're pretty dumb. If I struggled with a difficult section due to elevation/range, I found it very easy to glitch out the AI and just shoot them to death without them moving so much as an inch. Pretty weird.

Also, to previous posters points that there aren't as many vehicle sequences -- as a person who plays legendary, I am glad there are less of them. There was nothing more frustrating than redoing those sections a hundred times due to the randomness of encounters and the lack of cover.

BLAZER

Just watched the terminals. Amazing. Just like the ones in Halo: Anniversary but even better. Such a pivotal role now in halo's storytelling. Top notch 343i.

Shame that you have to go to Waypoint just to watch them. They should be available in game, threw a menu, because if you don't have Waypoint you can't watch them.

For those that want to watch them on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bznq4Zr2gTw

TUROK

I'm disappointed. I thought it would be different, the changes more profound. I guess I was expecting something else, and that's probably my fault. "Pure" shooters just aren't interesting to me anymore.

Glad to see hardcore fans are enjoying it.
I'm still enjoying the game, but I am a little let down as well, especially considering how 343 hyped the game up as being Halo, yet a breath of fresh air at the same time.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I've had a couple issues after a host switch, namely my armor ability being unusable. My friend said he was unable to sprint after this happened too.

bitoriginal

I've had a couple issues after a host switch, namely my armor ability being unusable. My friend said he was unable to sprint after this happened too.

Switching guns usually resolves the issue. Happened to me a couple of times, it's not a biggie fortunately.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't realise how absolutely beautiful this game looks. The mission "Requiem" was superb.

Honestly, the title card should have been delayed until a random point in the middle of the first warthog ride. Random cut to "Halo 4" as you're driving along a road. It's when I had that "oh wow, I remember why I like these games" moment.

Another thing:

I'm not a fan of joining games in progress, but I understand it helps people get into games faster.

HOWEVER, they REALLY should not start a game until the match is full. Out of the ~30 games I played, I think literally 1/3 of them were played starting with a 3v4 disadvantage because I was rolling with 2 other friends.

TUROK

I didn't realise how absolutely beautiful this game looks. The mission "Requiem" was superb.

Honestly, the title card should have been delayed until a random point in the middle of the first warthog ride. Random cut to "Halo 4" as you're driving along a road. It's when I had that "oh wow, I remember why I like these games" moment.
When you see the floating pillars for the first time in the second level, they should have put "Halo 4" in the corner of the screen instead of the title card.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
When you see the floating pillars for the first time in the second level, they should have put "Halo 4" in the corner of the screen instead of the title card.
I was joking, but yeah, honestly, there are so many moments in that level that got me so excited to be playing a Halo game.

Hopefully it can keep up this momentum.

NBtoaster

Think Regicide would be more fun with ordinance drops. It's a blast now, but there doesn't seem to be a proper FFA mode with killstreaks :(

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Think Regicide would be more fun with ordinance drops. It's a blast now, but there doesn't seem to be a proper FFA mode with killstreaks :(

Honestly, A lot of things would be more fun with a different sort of ordinance system

Playing CTF, blue team got rockets on their side of the map twice during a CTF game. Like WTF is that? Once the rockets dropped ON TOP of their base. What kind of bullshit is that?

Old halo system worked for the non infinity gametypes, as it was balanced. Each team had equal opportunity to weapons, as opposed to a team being in the freaking lead getting a power weapon dropped at their doorstep and getting an even larger advantage.

As for Regicide, it would be cool to see more weapons sprinkled over the map.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Single player is an unfun mess. It's the same combat flow halo has been recycling forever, with the addition of the Promethean flow which is slightly more engaging. Nearly everything interesting that happens happens in a cutscene so there is a very disjointed feeling between narrative and gameplay. I thought there would be more exploration, open environments, and surprising new enemies.

The campaign should be fun but its just a miserable exercise in tedium and frustration.

Multiplayer is fun but too much of a time sink for me. Game design has evolved since the last halo came out and this game is an incoherent mess that is disrespectful of the player's time and intelligence. I don't know if I'm just remembering the original more fondly, but I remember it being much better paced and offering a much stronger feeling of exploration and mystery.

zap

I still don't know what to think so far. Ultimately, only having gleaned key points from the books (I don't bother to read them)

It was really disappointing we spent so much time fighting the Covenant.. again. If you go from Halo 3 to Halo 4, it makes zero damn sense and they never even really solidify if it's a separate faction of the Covenant. It just feels so damn .. safe. I was kind of expecting encountering covies at the start then OH SHIT FORERUNNERS to introduce them as the new faction, but then we end up fighting Covies for most of the game, and there's not even 3 way battles where the Storm faction or whatever the fuck is fighting them and you at the same time, they're just ALL against you. We somehow got a new enemy class and the combat became even less dimensional than the other 3-faction Haloes.

There were plenty of times in the mission(s?) leading up to the Didact's cryptum opeing that had three way battles. The three way battels were almost too intense, one side would win if you wait a bit then you have way fewer enemies to take out.

bitoriginal

Single player is an unfun mess. It's the same combat flow halo has been recycling forever, with the addition of the Promethean flow which is slightly more engaging. Nearly everything interesting that happens happens in a cutscene so there is a very disjointed feeling between narrative and gameplay. I thought there would be more exploration, open environments, and surprising new enemies.

The campaign should be fun but its just a miserable exercise in tedium and frustration.

Multiplayer is fun but too much of a time sink for me. Game design has evolved since the last halo came out and this game is an incoherent mess that is disrespectful of the player's time and intelligence. I don't know if I'm just remembering the original more fondly, but I remember it being much better paced and offering a much stronger feeling of exploration and mystery.

You sound old and jaded. It's Halo, man.

strata8

I don't know if I'm just remembering the original more fondly, but I remember it being much better paced and offering a much stronger feeling of exploration and mystery.

I'm thinking it's probably this. Just started CE again today and so far there are huge periods where it's just a drag (eg, you do exactly the same thing 4 times more or less in the second level).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The joy of Halo, for me, is dying and restarting and actually having the scenario play out differently nearly every time, without -- and this is *crucial* -- my sense of control over the environment being lost. I'm playing a slightly different scenario, but the lessons I learnt before my last death are still relevant. It's just brilliant. The time I finally manage to overcome a particularly challenging battlefield -- be it because I was careful and scouted the area before rushing in or because I did the opposite and relied on the improvisation play that the Halo systems encourage -- is ridiculously rewarding.

It's a shame that this model of shooter isn't all that common.

derFeef

The joy of Halo, for me, is dying and restarting and actually having the scenario play out differently nearly every time, without -- and this is *crucial* -- my sense of control over the environment being lost. I'm playing a slightly different scenario, but the lessons I learnt before my last death are still relevant. It's just brilliant. The time I finally manage to overcome a particularly challenging battlefield, either by dying a handful of times or by carefully scouting an area before diving face first into the battle, is always a complete rush.

It's a shame that this model of shooter isn't all that common.

Yes! It's also fun to experiment, be a bit more ballsy (and mostly fail, lol). But if it works out you feel like a boss.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yes! It's also fun to experiment, be a bit more ballsy (and mostly fail, lol). But if it works out you feel like a boss.
I actually made a kind of subtle edit that mentions this, go figure!

danwarb

I'm still enjoying the game, but I am a little let down as well, especially considering how 343 hyped the game up as being Halo, yet a breath of fresh air at the same time.

I think a few too many changes for the worse were made to campaign gameplay. Covenant don't seem as entertaining and dynamic, Prometheans are duller than Brutes. I can't think of a single real improvement over Reach aside from elements of the story. Chief has way too much filler dialogue now.

I'm not disappointed that campaign photo mode was left out since it'd be much harder to find a good angle in this game. Much is best only viewed from afar and falls to bits upon closer inspection. If campaign theater is added, remove the zoom function or it won't be pretty.

Overall it's a very good game by FPS standards, but not a great Halo game for me without all the little details and (as) entertaining close quarters grenades/melee combat. Maybe it's the way I play them.

Welp, the honeymoon's over. I'm already bored with the game. Graphics look nice for a console game, yeah, but that can only hold me for so long. It's very disappointing that they just went for shoot shoot shoot approach than to evolve Halo's strategic kill approach. Anyone want this copy? PM me. Otherwise, it'll be up on glyde.

Never again am I buying MS's hype.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I do miss campaign saved films mode. Is that being patched in or something?

Woorloog

Banned
I do miss campaign saved films mode. Is that being patched in or something?

They're looking at it, but didn't promise anything.

Anyone want early specialization unlocks? I can trade them for some other pre-order bonus, not Forest HAZOP or Arctic BR though.

Top Bottom