• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

I don't like how they put the book that answers those questions after the game which elicits them. It's disjointed because it clashes with the latest installment.
Why? Story spoiler:
Only people who read extended fiction material are going to ask themselves the question 'Why the hell is the Didact evil?'. Most of the people aren't asking that.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
not really liking solace as much as i thought i would. seems to be a lot of base camping. mp is outstanding though, even if infinity slayer is quite a bit more hectic then i'm used to

Trey

Why? Story spoiler:
Only people who read extended fiction material are going to ask themselves the question 'Why the hell is the Didact evil?'. Most of the people aren't asking that.

Because I would have preferred to know what reaffirmed the
Didact's motivations before dealing with him in a game.

Have you guys seen the terminal videos yet? There is some important context in them that I think you'll be pretty interested in.

Watching them now, but so far I'm seeing nothing that wasn't covered in the books. Can you point to some in particular?

Havok

Watching them now, but so far I'm seeing nothing that wasn't covered in the books. Can you point to some in particular?
I don't know of anything specific that would lead to exactly what you're looking for, but the later ones do at least help to set the stage.

For the record, I definitely agree that Silentium's timing is unfortunate (as well as the remaining Kilo-Five book).

Vek

Does this still have 4-player local/offline multiplayer?

Apologies if this has already been asked, but I couldn't find it mentioned specifically in the OP.

zethren

Banned

Cryptum and Primordium made it pretty clear that the Didact despises humans. I think the fact that he had awakened and found that humans have advanced to such a point solidifies his resolve to simply wipe them out. He has always believed them to be a massive threat.

That said, I'm still anxious to read Silentium and see everything that leads up to that point.

Trey

I get a very slight, but all the same noticeable input lag when I play Spartan Ops. It's nothing major in my opinion. The mode is so-so on its own merits, apart from the netcode.

Cryptum and Primordium made it pretty clear that the Didact despises humans. I think the fact that he had awakened and found that humans have advanced to such a point solidifies his resolve to simply wipe them out. He has always believed them to be a massive threat.

That said, I'm still anxious to read Silentium and see everything that leads up to that point.

That's why I used the word "reaffirmed." I acknowledged that
the Didact disliked humanity in Cryptum and Primordium. He even said in those books much of what he says in Halo 4; "humanity is our greatest foe" and all that jazz. But the Didact in Cryptum and the Bornstellar-Didact in Primordium are much less hostile, so to speak, than the big bad in Halo 4 with regards to humanity.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I wanna highlight those spoilers so bad but I know they're for Cryptum. I gotta finish this book mang

CONAN

Why? Story spoiler:

yeah but if you
saw the terminals videos they will show why.

Trey

I wanna highlight those spoilers so bad but I know they're for Cryptum. I gotta finish this book mang

If you watched the terminals, you already know what we're discussing. Even in-game directly references the core of the spoiler'd text.

Better safe than sorry though, I suppose.

Beat the campaign. Really enjoyed it from start to finish, even if it was essentially "best-of Halo". There weren't any parts where I felt "ugggggh" like I usually do with at least one Halo mission.

The sound, though... christ, what a cock-up. Like, sound effects? Fantastic, across the board, except maybe the lawnmowerhog. The mixing though, good god. The game is just a wall of noise, and the soundtrack and dialogue are all muffled underneath the gameplay sounds. Also, I know I mentioned it earlier but holy SHIT the compression is bad. Some of the music and sound effects sound like they're being played underwater, especially in cutscenes. Really disappointed on that front, the effects are fantastic but the mixing and compression are turrible.

Victrix

*beard*
I'm not getting the Light Rifle - the 3 round burst/single shot thing feels like a gimmick, and it seems otherwise totally unremarkable. Need to spend some more time with it I guess.

Boltshot owns though :D Actually all three pistols are really great.

Majanew

Banned
Played through 4/8 campaign levels and got up to SR12 in MP. I'm impressed, 343. Now I'll sleep so that I can play more tomorrow without my eyes bleeding.

Ravine, Impact, and Erosion are the forge maps.

vv Can't wait to get the LR unlocked, absolutely loved it in SP.

Impact is a forge map? Why can't that building be deleted? Seems like a big step back. Oh, I have to select the 2nd part of Impact to be on the side where structures can be deleted lol. Annoying that the shadow won't disappear when you delete. Wow, forge is a letdown. Good job giving us shit environments to build in, 343.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm not getting the Light Rifle - the 3 round burst/single shot thing feels like a gimmick, and it seems otherwise totally unremarkable. Need to spend some more time with it I guess.

Boltshot owns though :D Actually all three pistols are really great.

It is NOT a gimmick. Now that you don't get knocked out of your zoom, you can continue to shoot those high powered zoomed in shots not only at long range but mid to close as well. Potentially an extremely powerful gun.

Raide

Impact is a forge map? Why can't that building be deleted? Seems like a big step back. Oh, I have to select the 2nd part of Impact to be on the side where structures can be deleted lol. Annoying that the shadow won't disappear when you delete.

All 3 Forge maps are really poor. Not enough space to do anything and big objects in the way that you cannot remove.

To make shadows vanish, you just have to drop something else and swap to player mode for it to re-calculate shadows.

FyreWulff

I still don't know what to think so far. Ultimately, only having gleaned key points from the books (I don't bother to read them)

It was really disappointing we spent so much time fighting the Covenant.. again. If you go from Halo 3 to Halo 4, it makes zero damn sense and they never even really solidify if it's a separate faction of the Covenant. It just feels so damn .. safe. I was kind of expecting encountering covies at the start then OH SHIT FORERUNNERS to introduce them as the new faction, but then we end up fighting Covies for most of the game, and there's not even 3 way battles where the Storm faction or whatever the fuck is fighting them and you at the same time, they're just ALL against you. We somehow got a new enemy class and the combat became even less dimensional than the other 3-faction Haloes.

Truant

I'm disappointed. I thought it would be different, the changes more profound. I guess I was expecting something else, and that's probably my fault. "Pure" shooters just aren't interesting to me anymore.

Glad to see hardcore fans are enjoying it.

I'm disappointed. I thought it would be different, the changes more profound. I guess I was expecting something else, and that's probably my fault. "Pure" shooters just aren't interesting to me anymore.

Curious, what sort of profound changes were you expecting with this game?

Lingitiz

Prometheans just take too much punishment and Crawlers are too numerous. That's my main problem with them.

Agreed. The feedback on when their shields pop just isn't there as well. The Knights have the best death effect I've seen in a game though.

Apart of me feels this too, but I definitely think that 343i has managed to make the best iteration on the "classic" Halo campaign (aside from CE of course). I think they know that the structure needs to change and we'll likely see something different with Halo 5.

Yager

Banned

Well, the campaign surely is more "classic" than a lot of people expected. I think the changes they made there are more related to the story rather than gameplay. Anyway, where things are truly different is in MP, you should give it a try (if you want, obviously!).

abadguy

Banned
Haven did not disappoint , easily my favorite map so far. My second slayer match on it was more fun and hectic than any match i've had on reach ever.

watership

You should probably play more than the first two levels.

BLAZER

Just finished single player. This review sums up my thoughts perfectly, especially on story: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/ha...much-fun-to-play/story-e6frf7jo-1226511115161

Just finished the campaign. This article expresses my feelings to the tee for halo 4.

My thoughts. I'm am disappointed in its game design for SP. I mean the amount of repetition of actions such as go to this side, clear, press button. Now go to other side, clear, press button happened about 4 or five times that made up entire levels. That's way to many times, what were 343 thinking. I mean that's just not fun at all.

I really thought they would have come up with some better ideas than this. With a studio full of talented people i wouldn't of expected this. That was my biggest/worst surprise for me.

I also thought there was to many vehicle sections that were very mundane.

I don't know what to say. hmm... I know its their first try, but to be honest there not off to a good start. Which is something I really didn't want to say about them.

The lighting in this game is sooooo good. BTW, what sensitivity level are you guys on? I found 2 to be the most comfy one for me, and started doing better as well.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Welp, Now i'm trying to do those terminal codes and such over at Halo waypoint

I might have to rebuy CE-A to get all of those terminals for whatever unlock that does

Haven't legitimately liked a Halo MP experience since the Halo 3 Beta

Random thoughts:
The DMR and BR are amazing and brings back the necessity of skill and precision in MP ala Halo 2 days
4v4 and 5v5 playlists need more maps already
No map stands out as a classic, but no map stands out as "bad" yet, though Complex for 4v4 Slayer seems fairly crappy, way too large
Both shotguns seem inconsistent at times, sometimes I can get long range kills, sometimes it takes 2-3 shells to the face, same when I get killed by it

Overall, really like it. Funny how much the subtraction of a bloom reticule and the re-addition of the BR can placate the hardcore.

Top Bottom