• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

nOoblet16

The grenade perks were a baaaaaaaaaad idea. They should have known better, they've been problematic in CoD since CoD4.

Combined with instant respawns and yeah...

I think this is a result of instant respawns + resupply armor mod.

My biggest issue is running out of damn ammo on a main weapon. There need to be at least the starting weapons on the map spread out or some ammo spots. If you use a DMR and most others are using BR you are screwed or you need to pick up a BR.

I was actually referring to the single player.
Been playing on legendary and I'm instantly noticing an increased amount of grenade spam, I don't like it when the game logic bends for your enemies (no reload and such), would be nice if they made a game where your enemies run out of ammo or atleast run out of grenades.

I was actually referring to the single player.
Been playing on legendary and I'm instantly noticing an increased amount of grenade spam, I don't like it when the game logic bends for your enemies (no reload and such), would be nice if they made a game where your enemies run out of ammo or atleast run out of grenades.

The funny thing is my second part actually kind of fits for both. :lol I haven't played too much of campaign, but the little I played on Heroic I didn't really notice too much grenade spam. If anything it seemed grunts threw more rather than just running at me with them.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This game is by far the most beautiful game all gen.

Every scene looks like concept art, and they mix it up so often. Also how the FUCK is the lighting so good?
It does look incredible.

I really really wish they could have implemented proper object and camera motion blur in addition to solving their AF issues. Outside of that, it's truly an incredible looking game.

Here is one thing that annoys the living shit out of me, but its nothing new.

Why does Halo always assume just cause someone is signed into their profile they HAVE to play. Sometimes my buddy and I just want to play, but our wives have profiles too and they want to party chat with all of us while we play, but NOPE. It MAKES you play. Unless I'm not seeing the option.

StuBurns

Banned
Here is one thing that annoys the living shit out of me, but its nothing new.

Why does Halo always assume just cause someone is signed into their profile they HAVE to play. Sometimes my buddy and I just want to play, but our wives have profiles too and they want to party chat with all of us while we play, but NOPE. It MAKES you play. Unless I'm not seeing the option.
It's funny you mention that, when I went to the store to pick it up earlier, the guy was complaining how he couldn't get to play last night, and was stuck listening to friends enjoying it on party chat.

Leunam

Not sure if it's new, but I like seeing people head flinch back while getting shot in the head. It's funny watching them run at me while looking straight at the sky.

Raide

Went through the first two Spartan Ops missions. Really love it. So glad they have all the cut-scenes and voice over for everything. Makes it feel like a new campaign and not just some extra maps. Also the combat scale is awesome so far. Might just fill that itch people had when they feel the normal Campaign stuff feels a bit small.

Nirvana

anyone else find the checkpoint system isnt as "tight" as previous halo games? there have been several times where i die and revert to a checkpoint multiple encounters back. bungie system was terrific in that you never felt punished for death - you died? try again at the encounter you died at. the way its set up in 4 seems like it will make my solo legendary run a major pain in the ass. playing on heroic now btw.

I haven't really had any issues on my run so far to be honest. If it has happened, it hasn't been any further than previous Halos would send you.

On the topic of Promethean Vision, I noticed I started doing much worse when I used it. I think psychologically you look for targets and end up chasing a lot of kills, which means you end up dying more. I've found the autosentry fairly useful and regen field is my current ability. Overall I think the abilities are balanced pretty well, no real complaints here.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Just finished the game.

Nooo, Cortana! The best part of Halo's single player is The Chief+Cortana. Don't think she's actually dead but I looks like we won't get to see much of her in 5.

Went through the first two Spartan Ops missions. Really love it. So glad they have all the cut-scenes and voice over for everything. Makes it feel like a new campaign and not just some extra maps. Also the combat scale is awesome so far. Might just fill that itch people had when they feel the normal Campaign stuff feels a bit small.

I like it too, but it's an incredibly weak (so far) replacement for Firefight. The IGN review was correct when they basically said it felt meaningless and provided little reason to ever play chapters again. That's a failure of design, imo, and is a real letdown to someone like myself that prefers co-op multiplayer.

Raide

I like it too, but it's an incredibly weak (so far) replacement for Firefight. The IGN review was correct when they basically said it felt meaningless and provided little reason to ever play chapters again. That's a failure of design, imo, and is a real letdown to someone like myself that prefers co-op multiplayer.

Other than playing Co-op, I can see what you mean. It is a shame they did not add a constant wave-based option to Spartan Ops to simulate the fell of FF. It certainly has the scale and vehicle fun of FF.

I like them from a story perspective and I am looking forward to seeing how the whole season pans out but I still wish they added FF in again. Would be nice to fight against something other than Covenant. Hell, I would happily wait for a FF update that adds Covies, Flood and Prometheans.

EvB

It wouldn't surprise me if Firefight makes a return one day as DLC, I get the impression that 343i are trying to make sure the population of online competitive players for Halo 4 remains higher than Reach. Finding a game that was fun became very tough because of the small number of players in certain playlists.

Firefight certainly diluted the number of Halo players venturing into matchmaking, so perhaps they are holding it back until things have run their course for a while.

Victrix

*beard*
Is there some equivalent to Den Kirsons or Symthic for Halo?

I'm hungering for weapon details, still puzzling over the Light Rifle and auto weapon differences

So far the campaign is about as uninspired and repetively dull as a COD campaign. If 343 did not consist of humans but instead robots who calculated what a unimaginative campaign should play like in 2012, I would not be surprised. At least it's pretty though...too bad I could care less about that. I just love being told to move-move-move when nothing around me is actually motivating me to carry on and nobody including myself is in danger.
Hopefully the MP doesn't disappoint or else back to the store you go.

Raide

It wouldn't surprise me if Firefight makes a return one day as DLC, I get the impression that 343i are trying to make sure the population of online competitive players for Halo 4 remains higher than Reach. Finding a game that was fun became very tough because of the small number of players in certain playlists.

Firefight certainly diluted the number of Halo players venturing into matchmaking, so perhaps they are holding it back until things have run their course for a while.

A more fleshed out FF would be awesome. I am all for them making the core MP as good as they can on release and then add the later bits for those that want something else.

Just give me Flood in FF! Seriously!

stktt

Banned
So far the campaign is about as uninspired and repetively dull as a COD campaign. If 343 did not consist of humans but instead robots who calculated what a unimaginative campaign should play like in 2012, I would not be surprised. At least it's pretty though...too bad I could care less about that. I just love being told to move-move-move when nothing around me is actually motivating me to carry on and nobody including myself is in danger.
Hopefully the MP doesn't disappoint or else back to the store you go.

Really? This is my favorite campaign since CE.

A more fleshed out FF would be awesome. I am all for them making the core MP as good as they can on release and then add the later bits for those that want something else.

Just give me Flood in FF! Seriously!

They should mix all 3 enemy types. And have random starts to which one you get, and as the waves progress add the other ones, like Gears of War 3's Horde Morde.

anyone else find the checkpoint system isnt as "tight" as previous halo games? there have been several times where i die and revert to a checkpoint multiple encounters back. bungie system was terrific in that you never felt punished for death - you died? try again at the encounter you died at. the way its set up in 4 seems like it will make my solo legendary run a major pain in the ass. playing on heroic now btw.
On two separate occasions I was dropped back to a checkpoint where I had absolutely no ammo in either gun, and the revert made all the weapons that were there previously disappear. That was a bitch.

So who is using Fishstick? Works pretty well
I've tried 3 other configurations (Default, Recon, and Bumper Jumper), and Fishstick+hold B to crouch is the best choice for me.

x-Lundz-x

This will be the last time I ever pre-order from NewEgg. Halo was supposed to be here today and will not get it until tomorrow :(.

Spartan ops most definitely needs leaderboards or something. Apart from the accolades and challenges, theres just little point in doing them. Need some kind of incentive to keep doing it over and over.

kaskade

I didn't jump into campaign yet since my friend wanted to play online. I'm really liking it so far. I feel like every change from the normal Halo formula is for the better.

And the sounds of the guns. They are glorious.

The music and sounds are so eeiry on this - not helped by the fact there is no volume slider.

I'm playing with headphones and the amount of time a sound-effect has shat me up is un-true. The score also adds to the atmosphere too (the main menu music is particularly harrowing).

I'm currently on the jungle level shown at E3 and everything stands out perfectly. You've got the score, jungle ambiance and then the odd croak from a Promethean dog-thingy. It's fantastic.

I'm glad they've re-done the gun sounds as well, the AR actually sounds like an AR now.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I still can't get over how good of a job they did with human faces. Bungie did improve with Reach, but man, the difference from Halo 3 to 4 is massive.

Lordhoodhalo.jpg
hcut2.bmp.jpg

Barring a catastrophic last chapter, I'd rank Halo campaigns:

CE>Halo 4>Halo 3>ODST>Reach>>>>>>Halo 2

The multiplayer is better out of the gate than I thought any of the past games were, but CE was hurt by the fact that I had to use Xbox Connect to get online games.

I suppose I should try out a different control scheme at least once. I've just been Recon for so long.

Oh man, me too. Ive tried that COD one since i play COD a lot as well and i just cant get used to it in Halo. So i stuck with Recon.

edit: is it just me or is this Waypoint website super confusing? Where do i find the user created maps?? i cant find anything.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Anyone used the Onza TE with Halo 4 yet? I just ordered one (from a store with a great return policy, as I hear they're quite fragile lol) - wondered how the extra map-able buttons are to use with the control scheme.

Barring a catastrophic last chapter, I'd rank Halo campaigns:

CE>Halo 4>Halo 3>ODST>Reach>>>>>>Halo 2

The multiplayer is better out of the gate than I thought any of the past games were, but CE was hurt by the fact that I had to use Xbox Connect to get online games.

Good to hear, even though I loved Halo 2's campaign.

Top Bottom