• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Sojgat

I've switched to fishstick config and I'm doing noticeably better in MP (5+ more kills per round). I know it's got something to do with the zoom not resetting when you get hit.

Dumb question - I choose the BR in multi and it only has a single shot like the DMR. How do I get the classic three-burst BR?

It's not single shot, I think it's the sound and animation that just makes it seem like it is. I've had a couple friends who have asked this same question.

Mr.Fresh

I've switched to fishstick config and I'm doing noticeably better in MP (5+ more kills per round). I know it's got something to do with the zoom not resetting when you get hit.

When u switched to fishstick I started doing way better too. Like waaayyy better haha I went 24 - 4.

WJD

Only really irritating this in MP so far is Promethean Vision. Makes traps, crouching and sneak attacks almost completely irrelevant.

Only really irritating this in MP so far is Promethean Vision. Makes traps, crouching and sneak attacks almost completely irrelevant.

Even with that, you would almost think people just discovered that you could set crouch to toggle. I can't tell you how many times I have seen people crouching the entire game. I guess making it default suddenly made people aware of it.

Victrix

*beard*

They also give away their location to you as well though, so while you can't continue to sit in a corner, you can easily reposition to an advantageous position to ambush them when they do come through, even if they know where you're standing.

But yeah, Promethean, sprint, and instant respawns definitely make for a faster more hectic game.

Duji

It's not single shot, I think it's the sound and animation that just makes it seem like it is. I've had a couple friends who have asked this same question.

Each bullet comes out in back to back frames in H4. H2 and H3 feature a buffer frame in between bullets 1 and 2 and bullets 2 and 3. The actual burst in H4 takes half the time, which makes it appear to be a single shot weapon to some. The difference can be seen by simply comparing the sounds of the bursts. H4 has a very quick burst while H2 and H3 have a more drawn out one.

jet1911

The serial plate only has room for 6 digits so people are saying only 999,999 units were done. Don't think anything official has been said about it, though it is very limited. No local retailers here could fullfill their LE pre-orders and at least GameStop stated they wouldn't receive any futher.

There was 4 LE on the shelf at the Furtureshop where I bought my game. I have a feleling they'll stay there a long time too.

TheOddOne

They also give away their location to you as well though, so while you can't continue to sit in a corner, you can easily reposition to an advantageous position to ambush them when they do come through, even if they know where you're standing.

But yeah, Promethean, sprint, and instant respawns definitely make for a faster more hectic game.
Funny thing is that most of the people I have played with act like they have an advantage with PV, but then forget to look at their surroundings. Which leads to some hilarious moments of stupidity.

Sojgat

When u switched to fishstick I started doing way better too. Like waaayyy better haha I went 24 - 4.

I just wanted to try it because I didn't like melee being on the bumper (recon sucks because A is run for some stupid reason). I just find letting off the trigger much easier than clicking in the stick again to un-zoom when I'm getting shot. The whole thing feels like a concession made for COD players anyway, I guess constantly having to pump the trigger everytime you get hit would feel kind of weird.

KlotePino

I played through the whole campaign wondering why the BR and the DMR were both single shot rifles performing similar roles. Crazy, I can't believe it's actually 3 shots because it feels nothing like it. Gotta go back and check now.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
anyone else find the checkpoint system isnt as "tight" as previous halo games? there have been several times where i die and revert to a checkpoint multiple encounters back. bungie system was terrific in that you never felt punished for death - you died? try again at the encounter you died at. the way its set up in 4 seems like it will make my solo legendary run a major pain in the ass. playing on heroic now btw.

harrytang

MP is a lot of fun. I was not expecting it to be such a rush. Play on Boxer but its been a while and I'm pretty rusty. Took a few games for my my brain to figured it out. Now really enjoying it. Love the reward system in game, love the pace and the sounds.

Only 4-5 mid size levels for Slayer?? This is their biggest playlist in terms on population. Hoping we get forge maps to increase the variety.

This game is going to be really crazy after month with people fully leveled and unlocked load outs. Glad I picked this up.

gaming_noob

The first level....some of the textures are downright awful and blurry. I can see why the theatre mode was left out in Campaign. I know they had to cut back something in order to get the overall package, but still a bit disappointing.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I've had a couple issues after a host switch, namely my armor ability being unusable. My friend said he was unable to sprint after this happened too.

this would happen to me fairly frequently in reach, sad its a returning bug.

last night i actually had a host migration as the map and game were loading, when everything is out of focus still. when it returned me to game, my screen remained fuzzy and out of focus like that for the first 20 seconds or so of the match (gameplay) AND i lost sprint and my AA.

:(

ced

Played a couple hours last night, it's Halo all right. I'm up to chap 4 I think, but I really have not seen a big sandbox type level, it's been pretty linear. So far I think I preferred Reach, but we will see if it changes.

I'm not a big fan of the visor hud and the insane lens flares, the game is gorgeous though.

MP is a lot of fun. I was not expecting it to be such a rush. Play on Boxer but its been a while and I'm pretty rusty. Took a few games for my my brain to figured it out. Now really enjoying it. Love the reward system in game, love the pace and the sounds.

Only 4-5 mid size levels for Slayer?? This is their biggest playlist in terms on population. Hoping we get forge maps to increase the variety.

This game is going to be really crazy after month with people fully leveled and unlocked load outs. Glad I picked this up.

What we don't get in variety I think they make up for in quality. It's a good thing that the regular maps are at least enjoyable so we don't end up with a majority of forge maps in the mix. It doesn't bother me too many as playability>looks, but it's refreshing to have some good non forge maps.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Wut?

Must not have been a BR then.

Are you sure, The 3 shot burst is much faster now and almost sounds like a single shot

Thanks guys. I might just unlock the DMR too ASAP so I can compare and contrast. I was looking forward to that classic "brrt!" feel from it... :\

I'm not ashamed to say I played the game online for the entire day yesterday.

Anyone know whenever the splitscreen can be adjusted into different sections of the screen? Or does it always have to be top and bottom when in 2 player.

It's funny, every time I unlock a new ability or power or whatever my first thought is not, "let's see how awesome this is!" but "let's hope this isn't powerful enough to hurt the overall MP experience down the road!"

The balance seems pretty decent so far but we won't know for sure how everything will shape up until a few weeks or months from now.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
"Teammate joined!".. on the other team.

Feels like something that shouldn't have been missed in testing.

TheOddOne

Digital Foundry vs. Halo 4
Technologically speaking, Halo 4 doesn't put a foot wrong throughout the entire eight to nine hour campaign. The enhancements to modelling, lighting and environments are beautiful and play host to some of the most epic gunplay we've experienced on a home console title. Perhaps this is not surprising bearing in mind that the 343i tech team had the know-how and the time to push the 360 hardware further and harder than any other developer we're aware of. Factor in how key 343i staff contributed to the development of DirectX 11 (and almost certainly, the genesis of the next-gen Xbox) and we have some idea of the spectrum of talent Microsoft put to work here.

Floex

As someone who has played and enjoyed but never really loved the series, still in two minds about this. I'll get my nuisances out the way first, it's too safe based on the opening two levels. It's Halo, it's the same enemies, doing the same thing as has been done for years now. I'm bored of that and I would criticise any game that relied too heavily on past designs. It wasn't until I started the third level with new enemy types that the gameplay felt instantly refreshing. Tackling an enemy was exciting again, figuring out the best course of action so I hope this continues. I still don't enjoy the way Chief moves. You don't get the feeling of a powerful being, there is no sense of weight. The way Chief moves on a hard, metal surface feels like he is skating over it. He should be clomping and clashing with the floor and reflected in the sound design. The way he jumps feels like he is more like a ballerina

As for the good, I've never been a fan of the interior designs in the Halo series, always felt they were cold and sterile but I tip my cap to 343, the corridors look fantastic. The corridors, along with the visor I was momentarily playing Metroid. The sound has been much improved in the weaponry. I would go out of my way to not use the alien weaponry in past Halos as they felt more like nerf guns but I found myself swapping guns all the time in this.
My biggest enjoyment so far has been when the action just slows down and exploring locations like the crash site. Again, a reflection back to Metroid and makes me want a new Prime even more. The lighting looks incredible along with the floating particles, so much happening on screen. Couldn't believe there wasn't any slow down and just goes to show what you can do with an ageing console (that and alot of money for development)

Willectro

Banned
The campaign is way too over the top. I feel like 343 were trying to cater to the CoD fanbase. The multiplayer is great though.

Woorloog

Banned
silly question, but how do you install the game? i know the multiplayer has an install, should i do that before i resume the campaign? or is there something else i should do? i just popped in the first disc and started the campaign right away.

From dashboard, select game options while the disc is inserted (X) and choose install. Requires quite a bit space though, not sure how much for Halo 4.

DodgerSan

Why the living piss is is so difficult for games to remember what weapons I have after a cutscene? Gears does this too and is EXTREMELY annoying.

StuBurns

Banned
Played the first few levels, it's fun. Feels as good, if not better than the series has, and certainly it looks better than ever, not sure it's as well paced or the combat is as well designed, but there's still plenty to go. First impressions are very strong.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This game is by far the most beautiful game all gen.

Every scene looks like concept art, and they mix it up so often. Also how the FUCK is the lighting so good?

Plasma

Banned
I finished the campaign last night and was a little disappointed with it, it wasn't a bad campaign but I don't think any of the levels were as memorable as past Halo games.

I loved the way the weapons felt though, it might have just been the new sounds for them but they all seem to pack more of a punch.

Looking forward to getting stuck in and playing some mp today.

Ein Bear

Bah, I wish they'd included an instruction book. I'm halfway through my second, Legendary, playthrough and only just realised you can charge the Boltshot pistol for a mini-shotgun thing.

Am I right when I say that this game has way more grenade spamming ?

I think this is a result of instant respawns + resupply armor mod.

My biggest issue is running out of damn ammo on a main weapon. There need to be at least the starting weapons on the map spread out or some ammo spots. If you use a DMR and most others are using BR you are screwed or you need to pick up a BR.

FStop7

Banned
1. This game is gorgeous.

2. It looks like Halo but doesn't look like a Bungie game. Feels different, too.

3. On Heroic the Covenant are not the bullet sponges they were in Reach. But ammo is scarce, so they may as well be. A few times now I've run dry and had to rush in and melee a bunch of dudes.

Top Bottom