• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Ok, so I played the campaign up until I get a
jetpack
and dived into some multiplayer. Here are my first impressions.

Campaign: Starts out strong, the opening cutscene finally deals with the Spartans' origins as explained in the novels, and they finally address some of the problems with genetically enhanced super-soldiers. I like the idea that Master Chief along with all the Spartans are at their core broken and lack the humanity to survive in a peaceful time. But then again this is Halo so let's quickly move on to some explosions, dead covenants, and Cortana's ass. The whole thing with
Cortana being made from Dr Halsey's tissue
is creepy as fuck though, implications implications...

One thing that really bugs me, the Covenants don't speak English anymore, I miss hearing Grunts freak out and call Chief the Demon, or when they yell "Purifying flame" when they throw a grenade. They just feel a lot more generic now. Chief also knew the humans and covenant had a truce, but this was never explained and simply ignored by saying "a lot has changed in 5 years", that doesn't explain shit, yes I do need a reason to kill generic Covenants. And even after reuniting with humans, the Chief doesn't even bother to ask what has happened during these years, but I can understand that because it's in his character to just follow orders and complete tasks. But personally I need to know what went down during the 5 years.

The prometheans are pretty fun to fight against, those shield drones that the knights poop out really change the pacing of the skirmishes because they're just too dangerous to leave alive. I'm playing on Heroic and as always scoped rifles are king, headshotting grunts and jackals from range is still the safest and most efficient way to get through a fight.

Overall, well designed, exactly what you expect from a Halo game, the new enemies are actually well thought-out, but the series is slowly losing the cartoonish charm that I loved from the first game.

Multiplayer: Mixed reactions, I played several games of Slayer, back in Reach I play almost exclusively on SWAT so I'm not all that good with a grenade. Melee seems slightly buffed from Reach, which helps all 4 of those Assault Rifle users I guess. Battle Rifle is back and amazing, I'm having a hard time choosing between BR and DMR, but right now BR seems much more flexible.

You no longer exit scope mode when you get hit, a gigantic buff to scoped weapons, making BR and DMR even more powerful.

The motion sensor reveals the relative height of the enemy as well, this is huge because if the player knows the map well enough he can now pin-point exactly where the enemy is from his sensor. But then again you can always just use Promethean Vision, since when has wall-hacks in an FPS not been broken? Seriously, I've played 10 games, I've seen one guy with the shield, 2 guys with the camouflage and everyone else with nothing(which pretty much means Promethean Vision).

Not a fan of ordnance drop, during my games 80% of my deaths were by the power weapons, and I feel like cheating when I maul people down with SAW as well.

From my experience, it's rather difficult to get multi-kills in this game with standard weapons because aiming is so easy and you movement options is lacking, in a lot of cases you'll take one guy down but there's literally nothing you can do when the second guy comes up and head-shots you because you ran out of shield, so I tend to always win my one-on-one and then die because a second guy just ran up with a SAW or something, unlike in SWAT where everyone is one shot away from death all the time.

Overall I still had a lot fun, the game feels a lot more fast paced, BR fights are really intense, all the strafing practice I got from Gears of War and all the aiming practice I got from SWAT are finally paying off. Slayer definitely doesn't encourage Ramboing because 2 on 1 is an extremely hard fight with shields, but encouraging team work is a good thing. Ordnance drop is bullshit. And I still need to play more to get better with the game.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
5, but may go higher. The up and down always seem slower to me, but by time I get it to the speed I like left and right aiming seems too fast. :lol

Yep same for me. I really like this feature where you can pick your loadout so you can start with the guns you like.

Bout to head over to get some mountain dew so I can get double xp.

GAF halp: I wish I could keep bumber jumper but switch the LS click to sprint (currently crouch). Is there any config that can do this? LB jump and LS click sprint?

Victrix

*beard*
Anyone used the Onza TE with Halo 4 yet? I just ordered one (from a store with a great return policy, as I hear they're quite fragile lol) - wondered how the extra map-able buttons are to use with the control scheme.

I dumped my Onza for a Scuf, due to those quality issues (both mine and a friends broke inside a year)

The Onza has very precise sticks (my accuracy went up 2-3% in CoD from MW2 to MW3, which is a huge amount, given the hours/shots fired).

However, the ergonomics are raw, and the top bumpers are useless. Way back when it was announced, I was excited because I figured they would be bottom-of-controller buttons, the logical place to put extra buttons in a comfortable place - nope.

The Scuf has exactly those, but its largely a modified regular 360 controller, so the sticks aren't as good as the Onza. So far though, having the A/B buttons under the controller is just plain awesome for both Halo and CoD.

The Onza bumpers are configurable, while the Scuf's are not, but I'm basically using the Scuf for Halo 4 and BO2 for the next year or two - maybe for any big FPS games that come out next year before the next gen consoles hit, so I'm not too fussed about the fixed nature of the buttons.

Majanew

Banned
One thing that really bugs me, the Covenants don't speak English anymore, I miss hearing Grunts freak out and call Chief the Demon, or when they yell "Purifying flame" when they throw a grenade. They just feel a lot more generic now.

I'm glad they went back to Covenant speaking their language. I thought it was dumb they all ran around speaking fluent English right after Halo CE.

They managed to make competitive multiplayer fun for me. Granted I only played Big Slayer so that I could blend in with my teammates, but the way mp is currently constituted, I enjoy playing it. Part of it has to do with the fact that the Halo series does vehicle combat better than any other game. I may not be good with the guns, but I'm a damn fine ghost/banshee driver.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
finished sp it was great but some how I wanted this to be more metrodish :((
CE>Reach>Halo 3>Halo 4>ODST>Halo 2

rakka

I haven't really had any issues on my run so far to be honest. If it has happened, it hasn't been any further than previous Halos would send you.

On the topic of Promethean Vision, I noticed I started doing much worse when I used it. I think psychologically you look for targets and end up chasing a lot of kills, which means you end up dying more. I've found the autosentry fairly useful and regen field is my current ability. Overall I think the abilities are balanced pretty well, no real complaints here.

not sure what you're doing wrong. I don't need it to play well, but now with promethean kills are easy as shit. it's basically wall hacking lol. if you use it right you'll have a blast. kind of OP like armor lock in reach but the difference is, promethean vision doesn't slow gameplay down like fucking AL.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
love the multiplayer so far. thought I would hate ordinance etc, but I don't. I quite enjoy the mad scramble for the power weapons at the start. also the saw is an amazing weapon.

how do you get ordinance drops? Are they random? When I do well I seem to get them, but now and then I get them for doing bad I think.

rakka

love the multiplayer so far. thought I would hate ordinance etc, but I don't. I quite enjoy the mad scramble for the power weapons at the start. also the saw is an amazing weapon.

how do you get ordinance drops? Are they random? When I do well I seem to get them, but now and then I get them for doing bad I think.

you fill up your ordnance meter with kills, assists, medals etc. just random shit

Just got done with campaign last night. Overall it was enjoyable, BUT...

Why was I repeatedly getting knocked back to the start of missions during cut scenes?

This happened to me several times over the course of the campaign, in different missions and at multiple difficulties. My progress was being recorded, sort of, because I could quit the mission and re-start from the most recent rally point (bravo, charlie, etc.). Still, that rally point was often several encounters before where I had actually made it to in the level.

If this game was just about anything else other than Halo, that kind of bug would have been cause for me to never finish the game. It was incredibly frustrating to nearly make it through an entire level and have my reward be getting dumped back to the start.

The whole fiasco led me to play on easy so it would be quicker to run through the level again and so if I did get dumped back it wouldn't be quite as frustrating. In a silver lining though, easy actually turned out to be kind of fun for a first play through.

I guess in the pantheon of Halo/Bungie related bugs, at least it didn't erase my hard drive.

ced

Im at chapter 4 as well and so far, it seems to me like the levels are pretty short. Ive been breezing through it at Heroic.

Yeah short and really no clear transitions to new chapters. It has also felt really linear so far. It feels like 2 to me so far and that's certainly not a compliment.

tj hazuki

I haven't be able to ply that much since I had to work shifts this week :/. But I am already a SR13. The Battle Rifle is my primary choice.

Yeah short and really no clear transitions to new chapters. It has also felt really linear so far. It feels like 2 to me so far and that's certainly not a compliment.

Ya, more linear than Halo Reach or 3 so far. But the gameplay is a lot more fun than 2 was to me and the story is much better told too imo, plus those visuals..... Im enjoying it a lot more than 2 or even 3.

Nirvana

Barring a catastrophic last chapter, I'd rank Halo campaigns:

CE>Halo 4>Halo 3>ODST>Reach>>>>>>Halo 2

The multiplayer is better out of the gate than I thought any of the past games were, but CE was hurt by the fact that I had to use Xbox Connect to get online games.

I can't understand why people don't like Halo 2's campaign; easily my favourite of all the Halo games.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I can't understand why people don't like Halo 2's campaign; easily my favourite of all the Halo games.
I think it had the least satisfying ending of all the games outside of ODST and some of the level design was particularly dry.

I don't think it's bad but I can see why people don't like it as much, mostly because of the ending.

Badgerst3

just fired up campaign.

No way to adjust HUD opacity?

Wish I could bump it down a notch or two.

Guessing will need to get used to it. Did not see in options.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I enjoyed the story, i just hated the gameplay. Brutes are no fun to fight.
This too, Brutes became fun to fight in Halo 3 because of the great improvements in AI, but the magic of the various kinds of Elites always lingered in the back of your head.

You can join a game in progress. It tells you when your in the game, Teammate joined.

And the frame rate has dropped a few times for me yesterday even by myself, but it might have to do with the issues they were having. Id wait a bit to see.

The best thing they did to the multiplayer was change from the old emphasis on kill-based scoring to point-based scoring. Makes it more fun and team oriented.

The second best thing they did was being able to join in progress. No more team quitting!

Also, custom loadouts are a modern feature that just had to be included and Halo is better off for it.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Can someone explain something to me early on in the game regarding the main antagonist? I'm not very brushed up on Halo in general.

So he's a forerunner. What's he doing in a giant ball and why does he put Chief in there? What did Chief do to him except let him out? Were humans like not even alive when the forerunners were around? Thought that was a long time ago.

Do you not get any SR credits for Campaign outside of challenges? My buddy and I just did the first 5 or 6 campaign missions and didn't get a single point...still SR1.

Do you not get any SR credits for Campaign outside of challenges? My buddy and I just did the first 5 or 6 campaign missions and didn't get a single point...still SR1.
Nope

Edit: Top of Page...

Why does this game struggle to usher players into a 4v1 situation compared to any other situation?

Raide

Spartan Ops is the best way to rank up outside of just playing some MP. Forge also works as well.

I think you answered your own question.

It could easily have been a glitch with all the launch problems so I wanted to make sure. Thank you guys for verifying.

Spartan Ops is the best way to rank up outside of just playing some MP. Forge also works as well.

I'm an MP guy so it won't be a problem. I just always do everything in campaign before starting MP so that's all I've tried and I noticed we weren't getting points at all.

So far Campaign is ok. Looks gorgeous but I am not far enough to give it a grade. Its gorgeous though.

MP so far is a mix. It feels and controls great but I do not like the ordinances. The killcam shows everyone is using PV. It takes away from the strategy element when you know exactly when an opponent is peaking out.

I don't like that getting shot at does not move the scope. There are literally people just standing around with DMRs scopes because their shot cannot be altered. Its too much, that should be patched.

Ordinances - too many power weapons on the map at the same time. You get a few hot players and the map becomes packed with power weapons along with the normal PW spawns.

Last, the loadouts change the game the most for me. You use to know how to play a certain map but now you have no idea what you are matched up against.

I know they wanted to appeal to newcomers but these are the things that newcomers can't stand. They try it out and die 10 times because they are outgunned. Sure some will keep at it but there was not a shift as far as player balance due to different access to weapons.

The End

This is a special time in the life of any Halo game: no one knows the maps or weapons yet, and matches are full of hilarious bullshit that'll be fixed in a week.

Lothars

Lost credibility putting Reach in front of anything. That turd should be scraped off your shoe and thrown in the garbage.
Nope Halo 2 is the turd of the Halo series and should be nuked from orbit. Reach had a way better story than 2.
Halo 2 story was crap, I wasn't even a fan of Halo 2's multiplayer but the singleplayer is really what killed Halo 2.

Dissapointed by the trait fields in Forge. I was really hoping there would be an option to make Ordinance Drops only work in a certain area. Wish 343 could add that down the road somehow. Would be awesome and make for some interesting confrontations on maps.

rakka

mp is fun as hell. things that bother me are:

lobby setup and carnage report etc is downgrade from reach, 2, 3 etc.. real confusing . horrible

all caps everywhere, what was the purpose of that? makes names hard to read, makes everything hard to read.

scrolling the scoreboard in splitscreen you have to awkwardly use the dpad instead of right analog stick. you hold select to bring up scoreboard why the hell is dpad scroll, am I supposed to use my palm?? lol

bringing the scoreboard up stops movement unlike in reach where you could keep moving. why change this?

join game in progress should really be an option! hate that shit

COMPLEX drops to about 5fps at times when playing splitscreen. no one tested this? downgrade the awesome lighting if you must or whatever but a solid framerate is a must for competitive play! the other maps aren't as bad in terms of framerate in splitscreen.

the text is TINY in splitscreen. hell, it's small enough as it is when full screen and ALL CAPS doesn't help either. what happened to clear, easy to read, non caps text that I know halo for? I like the fresh new gameplay 4 brings but changing shit like this for no reason? who's idea was that? no one at 343 disagreed with this ?

oh and medals look like crap now. can't even tell which is which theyre all blue and the same looking. AND like the text, fucking tiny in splitscreen now too.

like I said , the actual gameplay changes and visuals in general, awesome. other changes I listed above, not so awesome.

You can join a game in progress. It tells you when your in the game, Teammate joined
yeah I know. I don't like it. it should be optional, not forces upon you. why would I want to join a team that's losing.

Top Bottom